Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alex Collins-Buck Slayer

Started by Hogfan46, December 22, 2013, 07:44:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogfan46

Tweet from Alex Collins today. He is embracing everything Arkansas has to offer.

Im SO proud of my big accomplishment today! My first time going hunting and shot a buck from 250+ yards always! #WPS http://twitter.com/Budda03/status/414928404702838786/photo/1

AcornHunter

Congrads to him!

250+ . . . You reckon it might have a big fish story embellishment?  That's ok if it does.  That's the part that lives on after the hunt, who can tell the best story.

But Curiosity would like to know the facts—rig, ammo, conditions.

Mitch C

December 24, 2013, 12:31:40 pm #2 Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:51:23 pm by Daddy Pork

pigture perfect

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 23, 2013, 04:49:20 pm
Then he can thank a hunter for keeping the deer population under control.  Otherwise he'd have nothing to eat.
So true.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HawgnCorona

darned Im so proud of this young man...What a fine representative for the UofA.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

urkillnmesmalls

The first time he fumbles, if he fumbles at all next year, we'll have people on here saying that he should have been working harder in the off season instead of going hunting.   ;D   

I love it that he went hunting, and for someone who has probably never gone before, it says a lot about his desire to "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." 

I wish some people on this very board would stop to think once in awhile about the commitment the kids AND the coaches make to the UA program win, lose, or draw. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

redswarmrising

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 23, 2013, 04:39:41 pm
Yea, but what was the buck's 40 time...

according to rivals,he ran a 3.1 40   8)

MissippHog

Nice shot AC3!  I think we've finally found out who the gunman was in the Auburn game  ;)

MissippHog

Quote from: redswarmrising on December 25, 2013, 11:38:25 am

according to rivals,he ran a 3.1 40   8)
Everyone knows Rivals doesn't know it's head from it's.....
What does 247 say?

adave

Then he can thank a hunter for keeping the deer population under control.  Otherwise he'd have nothing to eat.
[/quot
This is true' but we wouldn't have anywhere near as many deer if they hadn't been introduced.

adave

my sorry ass still hasn't figured out how to "quote". merry Christmas everybody!

kodiakisland

Quote from: adave on December 25, 2013, 06:33:38 pm
This is true' but we wouldn't have anywhere near as many deer if they hadn't been introduced.

Introduced where?  Deer are native to Arkansas.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

adave

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 25, 2013, 06:39:02 pm
Introduced where?  Deer are native to Arkansas.

but very thin till the mid 20th

adave

a hundred years ago there were as many bears as deer

kodiakisland

Deer numbers fluctuate just like any other wild animal.  Before Europeans invaded this land, there was a lot more variety of animals including predators as well as no cultivated land.  The practice of killing off the predators and clearing land allowed deer numbers to increase.  The beginning of the 20th century saw most game animals decrease because of advances in firearms and increase hunting pressure, much of it commercial hunting.  New conservation laws were passed which allowed most game animals to rebound fairly quickly. 

Our deer numbers now have nothing to do with them being introduced.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PORKULATOR

Introduced to one another for mating maybe. It goes a little something like this.
"Morning ladies, I'm the new buck round here and I'll be raping the slower ones first.... now run"
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

adave

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 25, 2013, 06:51:27 pm
Deer numbers fluctuate just like any other wild animal.  Before Europeans invaded this land, there was a lot more variety of animals including predators as well as no cultivated land.  The practice of killing off the predators and clearing land allowed deer numbers to increase.  The beginning of the 20th century saw most game animals decrease because of advances in firearms and increase hunting pressure, much of it commercial hunting.  New conservation laws were passed which allowed most game animals to rebound fairly quickly. 

Our deer numbers now have nothing to do with them being introduced.
guess i'm misinformed, thanks for the education. and merry christmas

kodiakisland

At one time Arkansas was known as "The Bear State" because of so many black bears here.  They were commercially hunted almost out of existence by the early 1900's.  The hides and lard were highly sought after.  Bears were never completely gone from Arkansas but were pretty close to it.  Several years of bringing in bears from Canada and Minnesota brought their numbers back up to a heathy population. 

Elk were native to Arkansas but got killed off some time in the early 1800's.  They have been reintroduced successfully although many farmers aren't happy sharing their pastures with them.

adave

So whitetail deer have not been replenished in Arkansas from northern states?

kodiakisland

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm sure if they have AG&F would have that info somewhere.

adave

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 25, 2013, 08:18:24 pm
Not that I'm aware of.  I'm sure if they have AG&F would have that info somewhere.
right

kodiakisland

I did find this on the AG&F website.  It is a bit vague but it appears deer from out of state may have been stocked on refuge land in the 20's.
http://www.agfc.com/hunting/Pages/HuntingDeerHistory.aspx

adave

By the 1920s deer had been eliminated from many Arkansas counties, leaving an estimated 500 deer statewide.

kodiakisland

Those commercial hunters were good at what they did.

adave

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 25, 2013, 08:54:05 pm
Those commercial hunters were good at what they did.
^^^^^   this guy has never been wrong in his life!

adave

can you recommend a pea shooter for me?

sweet or back eyed?

urkillnmesmalls

Starts off as a discussion on AC's first hunting trip, and ends up as a p____g match between two posters on whether whitetail deer are native to Arkansas or not.  Only on Hogville...   ::)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: adave on December 25, 2013, 09:02:29 pm
I can p 2 feet

Is your pressure valve leaking or something?  How old a fellar are ya?   :P

kodiakisland

I was not wrong about deer being introduced or reintroduced into Arkansas.  They are a native species and have never been eradicated from the state.  I pulled up a link for you that says deer were restocked on refuges but again it's vague as to how many and from where they came.  Not sure what you're wanting me to be wrong about.  Deer have always been here and probably always will be.

adave

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 25, 2013, 09:03:44 pm
Is your pressure valve leaking or something?  How old a fellar are ya?   :P

old!

kodiakisland

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 25, 2013, 09:01:37 pm
Starts off as a discussion on AC's first hunting trip, and ends up as a p____g match between two posters on whether whitetail deer are native to Arkansas or not.  Only on Hogville...   ::)

Long way until football season.

adave

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 25, 2013, 09:04:14 pm
I was not wrong about deer being introduced or reintroduced into Arkansas.  They are a native species and have never been eradicated from the state.  I pulled up a link for you that says deer were restocked on refuges but again it's vague as to how many and from where they came.  Not sure what you're wanting me to be wrong about.  Deer have always been here and probably always will be.

please write a book

OldCoot

As soon as the 60's, if one were to bag a deer in Central/Southern Arkansas, it was an event. A BIG event.  There were that few of them.  We almost killed them all out.  That's one thing you can thank the G&F for.

Bear are FINALLY coming back.  My cousin is a guide in the Ouachita's if one ever wants to bag a black bear with a bow.  I love me some duck commander's, but he makes them look like yuppies.

Pudgepork

The Zone 4 area was virtually devoid of deer through the 40's thru 70's.  I asked
oldtimers if they ever saw deer or tracks in the area before some were brought in from
Michigan?Wisconsin?Minnesota? area.   I don't remember where the deer came from
exactly but in about 1974 the state bought up a block of wooded ravines and gullies
along Crowleys Ridge, bout 4-5 miles long and almost 1 mile wide.  I had an uncle who drove a dozer to build lakes in the park they made, Village Creek State Park.  He said they brought in 7 deer the first year, from Michigan I think.  1 buck and 6 doe.  They are huge deer.  The next year he said they brought in 14 deer from the same area.  2 bucks and 12 doe. 

At first the deer got shot at everytime they stuck their head out'a a thicket because it was so new and unique to see deer without travelling to southern Arkansas.  I killed several during bow seasons in the late 80's that were recovering from gun wounds they received in the summer months.  The population is too strong now and it all started pretty much from 21 deer.

The pine tree area had had deer for years that drifted into area from the Cache River area.   They were probably pushed into the area by dogs.  Along Crowleys Ridge area though, old time hunters that lived there told me they always had to travel to see even a deer track until the 70's

DoggtownHog

AGFC was trying to reintroduce the Florida Panther several years ago. As expected, it was voted down. I for one would welcome their presence. Apex predators are good for the balance in nature. And Mt Lions are badarse.
Arkansas would be perfect for them to live in.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

cal34

They did bring more deer in from Northern states.  One of the big high fence areas they used to keep them in is up above Blanchard Springs.  We drove the dirt roads up there in the early 90s and the rusted tall metal fences were still there.  I read about the place when I was a kid in the 80s.  I believe it was a dirt road that led right out of the campground into the hills.  I think they brought alot of deer in from Pennsylvania in the 50s and took them there.  It was a high tube metal fence, the frames were still there but the wire wasn't, It went quite a ways.

cal34

Here's a link. I bet the frames are still there now.  I was quite excited when we saw that while driving around up there and remembered they brought the deer there.  At first we couldn't figure out what such a long high rusty fence was doing up there in the middle of nowhere.

http://www.buckmasters.com/sylamore-wma-helped-comeback-of-deer-in-arkansas-1.aspx

cal34

Yep it's still there.

Driving Directions for CR-75

Start - CR-75 starts in hill pasture and runs through private property for the first half-mile. Pastures like this one had to be cut out of thick hardwood forests.

CCC Camp - At the 2.5 mile mark from the north end you'll see a small old building with a tin roof and gray shingle siding. This was the old CCC camp. It was the CCC who built the roads and attractions such as Gunner Pool and Barkshed Recreation areas. There was no electricity to it so refrigerators, ranges, and heaters were all propane gas. After the CCC left camp the building was used as a hunting camp, but has since been abandoned. It is not open to the public.

Deer Impound - About two miles south of the CCC camp, you'll see the remains of an 8 foot high sheep wire fence. In the 1940's the Arkansas whitetail deer population was at zero. To re-introduce whitetail to Arkansas, a herd was purchased from other states. The deer were released into this large pen area, which actually covers several square miles. This location is pretty much the center of the Forest and is about the most remote spot. As the deer herd grew, animals were captured and released in the wild.

Sugarloaf Tower - Not far from the deer compound you can clearly see the Sugarloaf fire tower a few miles away, which is near our Point 11. The fire tower is straight east at this point.

End - Toward the south end of CR 75 you'll come to an unmarked intersection. Bear to the left if traveling north to south, bear right if traveling south to north on CR 75. Don't take the road going downhill. It dead ends at the bottom of the canyon. When you get to the intersection of CR-75 and 1102, you are at the end of CR-75.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: cal34 on December 27, 2013, 12:39:48 am
Yep it's still there.

Driving Directions for CR-75

Start - CR-75 starts in hill pasture and runs through private property for the first half-mile. Pastures like this one had to be cut out of thick hardwood forests.

CCC Camp - At the 2.5 mile mark from the north end you'll see a small old building with a tin roof and gray shingle siding. This was the old CCC camp. It was the CCC who built the roads and attractions such as Gunner Pool and Barkshed Recreation areas. There was no electricity to it so refrigerators, ranges, and heaters were all propane gas. After the CCC left camp the building was used as a hunting camp, but has since been abandoned. It is not open to the public.

Deer Impound - About two miles south of the CCC camp, you'll see the remains of an 8 foot high sheep wire fence. In the 1940's the Arkansas whitetail deer population was at zero. To re-introduce whitetail to Arkansas, a herd was purchased from other states. The deer were released into this large pen area, which actually covers several square miles. This location is pretty much the center of the Forest and is about the most remote spot. As the deer herd grew, animals were captured and released in the wild.

Sugarloaf Tower - Not far from the deer compound you can clearly see the Sugarloaf fire tower a few miles away, which is near our Point 11. The fire tower is straight east at this point.

End - Toward the south end of CR 75 you'll come to an unmarked intersection. Bear to the left if traveling north to south, bear right if traveling south to north on CR 75. Don't take the road going downhill. It dead ends at the bottom of the canyon. When you get to the intersection of CR-75 and 1102, you are at the end of CR-75.

Thanks for sharing that story.  I'd like to hike in and see those old fences sometime.  I'm assuming they are probably still there. 

Wayne Watson

My dad, who is 77, said he remembers when he was a kid there were no deer in south Arkansas and he also remembers when they introduced them not far from where he lives.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

cal34

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 27, 2013, 01:17:26 am
Thanks for sharing that story.  I'd like to hike in and see those old fences sometime.  I'm assuming they are probably still there. 

On one of the maps on the link i gave there is an area called 'experimental forest'.  Its along the roads around there.