Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King comments on Hog basketball . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, December 23, 2013, 08:37:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . after eyeballing the team in person for the first time this year (unlike Wally, he admits that he writes about them after watching them on TV).

http:// [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/razorbacks/men-s-basketball/king-hogs-big-men-look-part

trashcan maN

I don't know that our 3 PT shooting is erratic. Any team that relies moderately on the 3 will have off nights. No one shoots 40% from 3 consistently all year. We're a solid, pretty consistent 3 pt shooting team IMO

Smithian

Interesting question he asks at the end.

In a close game under 2 minutes, where is the ball going? Who is going to be that the guy? "Sharing the ball" and "finding the open man" can turn into hot potato at crunch time. I guess Madden would be that guy right now.

dsims2k3

Looking for that guy led to what we had last year.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

dsims2k3

Didn't Blu just start a thread about this type of media coverage?
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Smithian

grumpypenguin

Quote from: dsims2k3 on December 23, 2013, 10:25:56 am
Looking for that guy led to what we had last year.

No. 1 person trying to do it all game led to that last year.

I could see Qualls, Harris and Portis all being "that guy" to end take over the end of game. We've seen all 3 of those take over the scoring for minutes at a time and getting 6-7 points in a row. I'd really like to see Qualls be that guy consistently but it may not be until late this year or next

Breems

Quote from: Smithian on December 23, 2013, 10:36:05 am
The question stands.

And is very easy to answer. The guy averaging 15ppg, shooting 55% from the floor, and 46% from the perimeter.

After that, you have Bell for the 3-point situation, Portis for the drop down low, Harris for the slash/dribble drive, and Madden for the perimeter shot and/or drive to the hoop if he keeps that up.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mhuff

Quote from: kj0N on December 23, 2013, 10:18:58 am
I don't know that our 3 PT shooting is erratic. Any team that relies moderately on the 3 will have off nights. No one shoots 40% from 3 consistently all year. We're a solid, pretty consistent 3 pt shooting team IMO

You're absolutely right. That's why the ball needs to go inside first instead of shooting yourself out of the game from beyond the arc. We can do that now. You live by the 3; U die by the 3.

Pignominious

Quote from: Breems on December 23, 2013, 11:04:20 am
And is very easy to answer. The guy averaging 15ppg, shooting 55% from the floor, and 46% from the perimeter.

After that, you have Bell for the 3-point situation, Portis for the drop down low, Harris for the slash/dribble drive, and Madden for the perimeter shot and/or drive to the hoop if he keeps that up.

If it's one possession I want Qualls. He had about three breathtaking moves to the basket on Saturday. He gets into the lane quicker and with mores consistency than anyone on the team. He can finish too; he's shooting 60% from inside the 3pt line.

Bell is troubling. He's only shooting 30% from three on 59 attempts, which is 22 more than Qualls the next closest.

Madden is having an interesting season. His shooting numbers are great: 58% from 2pt, 54% at 3pt, and 74% from the line. Otherwise, fairly pedestrian. My suspicion is that he's not quick enough to justify having the ball in his hand on the last possession. That may explain why his turnover percentage is so high; quicker guards are bothering him and he can't hold the ball as much as we need him to.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Corkscrew Johnson

For the "dean of sportswriting", I sure felt like I was reading a Wally Hall article.  I don't need a recap of a game on Sunday morning Wally, I just watched it. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: kj0N on December 23, 2013, 10:18:58 am
I would think we'll be slimming down the rotation a little leading up to conference play.  That could help.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 23, 2013, 01:09:22 pm
For the "dean of sportswriting", I sure felt like I was reading a Wally Hall article.  I don't need a recap of a game on Sunday morning Wally, I just watched it. 

This.  That was horrible.