Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game Changer Korliss Marshall

Started by Letsroll1200, December 09, 2013, 10:01:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

plumbhog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 10, 2013, 09:14:31 am
What I don't understand is why they basically wasted the kid's redshirt by not playing him much at RB and none at safety.  With the new kicking rules, the kickoff is more or less irrelevant with 95% of them being touchbacks.  So, why have the arguably most physically talented player on the team limited to kickoffs?

If the kid was good enough to play, then play him.  If they weren't going to play him at RB more than they did, they should have played him at safety.  Without a doubt, he was more physically talented than anyone else we played back there all year and he could have done no worse than the ones we played.  If they had played him there the whole season, he would probably be pretty good now.  If they were going to keep him at running back, then they should have gotten him at least 10 touches a game.

It was the worst burning of a redshirt since Houston Nutt burned one of Fred Talley's years with about two kick returns.
This is what bothers me about CBB.
And the fact that he stated himself, some of the assistants kept telling him about how well Marshall was doing on the scout team so he decided to throw him out there and see what happened.
I think Coach underestimated Marshall's ability at RB. We will probably see him get alot more carries next year.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

PonderinHog

Quote from: plumbhog on December 10, 2013, 09:36:05 am
This is what bothers me about CBB.
And the fact that he stated himself, some of the assistants kept telling him about how well Marshall was doing on the scout team so he decided to throw him out there and see what happened.
I think Coach underestimated Marshall's ability at RB. We will probably see him get alot more carries next year.
Now listen here, feller.  We're gonna make a safety out of him and there ain't nothin' you can say or do to change that.  ;)

The Hogfather

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 10, 2013, 09:35:39 am
New coaching staff, new players, new systems.  That's a lot of newness.

I think through the 1st half of the year, they were still trying to piece enough together to squeeze into a bowl.  Once it was apparent we weren't going to make one, he decided to start playing more youth, etc.  Now, why Marshall didn't play more at Safety, I have no idea.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 10, 2013, 09:14:09 am
No, there really aren't a lot of games lost that way.  There are lots of games won/lost on the leg of a kicker, but usually just 1 or 2 misses, not 4 and another time where the offense goes for it, rather than kicking a FG, simply because they don't trust their kicker.

Saban really dropped the ball by not recruiting a good kicker.

Well having that many misses isn't normal but that wasn't my point but I can see where you may have thought it was.  My point was mistakes in the kicking game not the number of missed kicks costs most teams one loss or so a year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Hogfather

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 10, 2013, 09:42:03 am
Well having that many misses isn't normal but that wasn't my point.  My point was mistakes in the kicking game not the number of missed kicks costs most teams one loss or so a year.

I think you are overstating this by quite a bit.

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 10, 2013, 09:39:45 am
Now listen here, feller.  We're gonna make a safety out of him and there ain't nothin' you can say or do to change that.  ;)

Some people just don't seem to grasp things around here, amazing, isn't it?

ricepig

Quote from: Hawgon on December 10, 2013, 09:28:12 am
Honestly, I have no real opinion on where the kid should play, although we need more help at safety.  I'll let the coaches decide where they think he can help the most.  What I  don't understand though is wasting his redshirt year without playing him much AT ALL.  If you have a guy that talented and you think you have to play him, THEN PLAY HIM.  It would have been better to let him redshirt, especially if that is what he wanted.  He didn't help us win a single game and now a year is gone.

Well, I guess we shouldn't have played anyone after game 3 since they didn't help us win a game. They had planned on using Holmes as the speed RB, he got hurt, lost, forgotten or something. Anyway, they brought Korliss off the scout team to return kicks and run a couple of plays in the aTm game and scrapped the safety work abd red shirt.

plumbhog

Quote from: ricepig on December 10, 2013, 09:47:32 am
Some people just don't seem to grasp things around here, amazing, isn't it?
OK, OK, I get it! He's a safety. But what if we just changed the name on his jersey from Marshall to Safety, would that be OK? :)
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M

PonderinHog

Quote from: plumbhog on December 10, 2013, 09:59:05 am
OK, OK, I get it! He's a safety. But what if we just changed the name on his jersey from Marshall to Safety, would that be OK? :)
We'll compromise and call him "Safety Marshall."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 10, 2013, 09:42:59 am
I think you are overstating this by quite a bit.

There are other type of special teams mistakes that directly contribute to games being lost not just missed kicks.  That's why a LOT of coaches say that you have two win two of three phases of the game to win. Defense, offense and special teams being those phases. I should have explained it better. That being said actual missed kicks can be huge in any teams season.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

plumbhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 10, 2013, 10:02:51 am
We'll compromise and call him "Safety Marshall."
I wonder if he set an SEC record this year for most rushing yards by a safety?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 10, 2013, 10:10:35 am
There are other type of special teams mistakes that directly contribute to games being lost not just missed kicks.  That's why a LOT of coaches say that you have two win two of three phases of the game to win. Defense, offense and special teams being those phases. I should have explained it better. That being said actual missed kicks can be huge in any teams season.

Where are you going with this?

PonderinHog

Wasn't Bama's kicker pretty accurate for the season going into the Auburn game?

The Hogfather

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 10, 2013, 10:41:35 am
Wasn't Bama's kicker pretty accurate for the season going into the Auburn game?

Yes.  He had only missed one.  The point I was trying to make way back when was that Saban's defensive schemes had slowed the Auburn offense down plenty enough to win.  All that had to happen was for their kicker to not go haywire.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 10, 2013, 10:48:04 am
Yes.  He had only missed one.  The point I was trying to make way back when was that Saban's defensive schemes had slowed the Auburn offense down plenty enough to win.  All that had to happen was for their kicker to not go haywire.
When you attempt a field goal, three things can happen and two of them are bad.  I can explain this.  Just give me a second...

NEA_HogFan

Korliss said he ran a 4.32 today at workouts.

pigbacon

Feed the studs. That shouldn't change. Marshall is a stud. He needs to line up in a RB/Slot type hybrid role about 25-35% of the time. Enough to not key in on him. His number should be called 5-10 times a game. Play him at safety on defense. It is what it is, just keep him on the field.

aberium2002

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 09, 2013, 10:01:43 am
Who is our game changer on offense? As good as Alex Collins and Johnathan Williams are they are not game changers. We need a player like Darren or Joe Adams that can take it to the house.

K. Marshall folks is our only option at running back to be that player that can take it to house. In my opinion Marshall should start ahead of Collins and Williams because he is a game changer. Collins IMO will be a ground and pound back but Marshall is our all SEC running back.

K. Marshall has Fred Talley toughness with Felix Jones speed! We lacked the big play on offense this year and K. Marshall will give us that game changing threat.
better hope we get a saftey then. Every year its the same thing. Everyone wants to put anyone with talent on offense and then wonder why the defense is weak. Brother....
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" John Heisman