Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please respond if you are for rational discussion: Razorback Football

Started by TOM "tbw1", December 08, 2013, 06:01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 09:56:48 pm
Selling 50 out of 80 thousand seats ain't gonna cut it here.

Well, I'm glad you came along to clear that up for me.  I never would have guessed that.   ::)

We can win with integrity.  I could spend the rest of the night giving you names of athletes who were outstanding in their sports, and did things the right way. 

Integrity...never lost a game of football.  It's ridiculous to even say that, and perpetuating some thought that displaying it is hurting anything is misguided...at best. 

CBB wants men with character.  He said that early on in his FIRST speech here.  I like that.  You don't.  Thing is...you have to deal with it for at least two more years, and you can whine all you want about it.  Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the improvement in the quality of young men on the field, and slowly regaining the tradition that we sustained from the 60's into the 90's.  You...can pound sand.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PonderinHog

racingpossum

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2013, 09:48:26 pm
Sure was...so was BP bringing in 394,000 WR's and 7 LB's. 

10-3
11-2

speaks for itself...

0-8 in sec hard to defend Bert

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2013, 10:05:48 pm

CBB wants men with character.  He said that early on in his FIRST speech here.     

You know what else he said? 'We can win with the players we have'

How'd that go?

Oklahawg

Quote from: BPsTheMan on December 08, 2013, 09:11:46 pm
Oklahawg, not sure where you went.. anyway...

Your post about how coverups go? Okay, LOL, they don't end well do they? Most of the time, or then again, we only know about the ones that come to light.

And the one coverup that certainly did come to light? Nutt being kept around after 2004 when he should have been fired, and many who wanted Gus on staff were part of that because they wanted him on staff. That coverup, we're dealing with to this day!

80% or more of "Gus haters" would have no problem with him to this day if the whole December 2005 quid pro quo from the 19th hole had not happened

So we blame John White? It's laughable. Again, who hired John White? Why does no one want to answer this?

Oh, I'm here.

I'll not wade through the confusion of your post here.

You do seem to hold a lot of angst over something from the recent past at UA. Actually, it seems, a collection of "somethings".

The question we all have to ask: if there publicly provable evidence there is a problem, or is it only provable when the threshhold of proof lowers to the level of a fan message board. After all, the public Gus Malzahn and the public Jeff Long have strong reputations. The evidence someone around here might have otherwise comes from unprovable, private sources.

Guess what? Some of those sources are golden ... but they are still private and thus unprovable.

THAT is what is frustrating to me - so much of the last decade of UA sports must exist behind a curtain and never will be exposed. Worse, some of what is concealed behind the curtain goes beyond the scope of UA athletics today (ie, Petrino, Nutt, Malzahn, Broyles, Horton, et al, are not employed by UA any longer).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

BPsTheMan

Quote from: bwbcpa on December 08, 2013, 09:55:27 pm
I've been trying to piece together your queries, but it's getting a little too cryptic, so I'll ask straight out:

I agree Nutt should have been fired after 2004 (should have never been hired, but that's another discussion), so, who did NOT fire him? Why was the "two year pass" a ruse? What was the real reason for his non-dismissal? What are we still wading in that JL and CBB are trying to dig us out? Not trying to be smart, but some of this is going in circles and my wife would tell you I don't pick up hints very well.

Broyles/Lindsay/GOBN did not fire him. Many in that camp pacified powerful friends of Nutt and Malzahn, at the same time. They wanted Malzahn on board, and if we bring in Tuberville or whoever, that ruins their plan. Did local media know all this? Of course. They just have to be pressed to admit it. 

What are we still wading in? 2004 to 2008 for one. Those five years were worse than Jack Crowe's Citadel loss. Huge damage to the program.

What if Tuberville was our new coach in 2005? Then by 2011, or whenver, name another coach who would have/could have taken over then if Tubs time had run out? Or in other words, what would have happened with a proper chain of command, and decisions free of GOBN politics?

We will never know. But people will continue to not see the forest for the trees. Look at the damage from 2004 to 2008.

Did Jeff Long cause that darn?

Nope, but he's a fall guy for a bunch of whiney babies who don't like how he's working to get it fixed.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2013, 09:59:26 pm
The mentality of most was, "We knew Nutt was the issue for a long time, but Broyles allowed him to remain."  I have never seen anyone give facts about why that happened...just speculation about the PTB and the GOBN. 

It's also a hangover from the "Look what happened when we fired Nutt and got Petrino" mindset that suggested to some fans that firing someone that is losing is always the answer.  At some point...it is, but not in the FIRST YEAR.  C'mon people!! 

I hear ya, man.  Everyone compares their yard to the rest of the neighborhood and wants a new mower when the neighbors get one. Unfortunately this year, we were in a situation where we had to reseed the entire damn yard and have to wait a bit for something to mow to grow.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Dirty

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:08:44 pm

How'd that go?

What's he supposed to say?  The current players suck, we can't win here just yet!

Some of you need help!

hehawg

Quote from: rlh06 on December 08, 2013, 10:13:42 pm
I hear ya, man.  Everyone compares their yard to the rest of the neighborhood and wants a new mower when the neighbors get one. Unfortunately this year, we were in a situation where we had to reseed the entire damn yard and have to wait a bit for something to mow to grow.

BP was the fertilizer.....j/k j/k!
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

Oliver

Quote from: Dirty on December 08, 2013, 10:16:48 pm
What's he supposed to say?  The current players suck, we can't win here just yet!

Some of you need help!

He should maybe say less.  Period.

Whether it be at press conferences or on twitter.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:08:44 pm

How'd that go?

We did win...three times.  I guess to answer your question, it didn't go very well.  But with the season we had, how in the world should we have been able to play with LSU when they beat AUBURN this season?  Let's hear your explanation of that, if you're suggesting that everything is gloom and doom and there's not reason for any hope. 

Keep that negativity rolling in Blondie.  You've been at it for a few weeks now, and I'm not sure who you were before...but it's comical.  You're a viable troll.     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2013, 10:08:57 pm
Oh, I'm here.

You do seem to hold a lot of angst over something from the recent past at UA. Actually, it seems, a collection of "somethings".

Thank you Yoko Ono

The question we all have to ask: if there publicly provable evidence there is a problem, or is it only provable when the threshhold of proof lowers to the level of a fan message board. After all, the public Gus Malzahn and the public Jeff Long have strong reputations. The evidence someone around here might have otherwise comes from unprovable, private sources.

Guess what? Some of those sources are golden ... but they are still private and thus unprovable.

THAT is what is frustrating to me - so much of the last decade of UA sports must exist behind a curtain and never will be exposed. Worse, some of what is concealed behind the curtain goes beyond the scope of UA athletics today (ie, Petrino, Nutt, Malzahn, Broyles, Horton, et al, are not employed by UA any longer).

"must exist behind a curtain and never will be exposed."

The "must" is a copout

Will never be exposed? The Arkansas media agrees with you

Dirty

Quote from: Oliver on December 08, 2013, 10:19:37 pm
He should maybe say less.  Period.

Whether it be at press conferences or on twitter.

Same for you on message boards.

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2013, 10:19:43 pm
We did win...three times.  I guess to answer your question, it didn't go very well.  But with the season we had, how in the world should we have been able to play with LSU when they beat AUBURN this season?  Let's hear your explanation of that, if you're suggesting that everything is gloom and doom and there's not reason for any hope. 

Keep that negativity rolling in Blondie.  You've been at it for a few weeks now, and I'm not sure who you were before...but it's comical.  You're a viable troll.     

And there it is..the troll accusation when you have nothing intelligent left to offer.

Mr. Blonde

urkillnmesmalls

That's a good analogy.  Patience.  i kept typing it since early last spring, but it was futile.  A segment of our fan base thinks they know everything about football, and there's no changing that mentality.  Wrinkles in play calling come when you know the basic plays down cold.  We barely even got to that point this season, but it will improve.  The defense will improve simply be ingraining their assignments through repetition.  They will all get bigger and stronger. 

But on Hogville...our HC is no good.  We'll find out...

bwbcpa

Quote from: BPsTheMan on December 08, 2013, 10:12:34 pm
Broyles/Lindsay/GOBN did not fire him. Many in that camp pacified powerful friends of Nutt and Malzahn, at the same time. They wanted Malzahn on board, and if we bring in Tuberville or whoever, that ruins their plan. Did local media know all this? Of course. They just have to be pressed to admit it. 

What are we still wading in? 2004 to 2008 for one. Those five years were worse than Jack Crowe's Citadel loss. Huge damage to the program.

What if Tuberville was our new coach in 2005? Then by 2011, or whenver, name another coach who would have/could have taken over then if Tubs time had run out? Or in other words, what would have happened with a proper chain of command, and decisions free of GOBN politics?

We will never know. But people will continue to not see the forest for the trees. Look at the damage from 2004 to 2008.

Nope, but he's a fall guy for a bunch of whiney babies who don't like how he's working to get it fixed.

Thanks, that gives me some reference to understanding why Gus was passed up last year (and I'm not a Gus fan).

moses_007

Rational discussion of Arkansas football only occurs during years when the Hogs are very successful.  In years we are losing, nothing is rational.

Mr. Blonde

Except we reseeded with crabgrass instead of Bermuda.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:22:15 pm
And there it is..the troll accusation when you have nothing intelligent left to offer.

Intelligent?  LOL  I've blasted each and every argument you've made out of the water, and you throw that tripe out?  Like I said...you're trolling.  What have you contributed to this thread?  Answer THAT question. 

It's why you type things like "How did that work out?" and refer to last season, when I was talking about the FUTURE.  You know...the thing coming, NOT the thing in the past that you're stuck in.  Then thing that requires some patience.  You know...it's not impossible to suggest that the BEST thing that could happen for us right now is for some continuity.  We start getting down on our coaches this fast, and no one will EVER want to come coach here again.  You ever think of that?   

You post just like your avatar says....Lemming.  Think for yourself a little...you never know, you might like it. 

WilsonHog

I put zero stock in what any coach says, because it's all canned nonsense.

Having said that, let's see how some honesty at a press conference might go:

"Well, boys, we suck ass. My linebackers are slow as smoke off monkey sh*t, my defensive backs couldn't cover me, and my quarterback couldn't hit water if he fell outta the damn boat. We're looking at a 3 to 5 year rebuild, if we're lucky. If we aren't, I'll be coaching linebackers somewhere. Honestly, if lightning strikes and I can ever figure a way to win 9 or 10 games, my big ass will be out of here on the first thing smoking. Now then...what's this I hear about some catfish?"

Yeah, I think I'd much rather hear, "I think we can win some games."

Oklahawg

Quote from: BPsTheMan on December 08, 2013, 10:12:34 pm

Thanks. The explanation helps a lot. Credit for explaining it.

I think one thing that must be mentioned here: Tuberville in 2005 is also a political hire (the guy was passed over in 1998 so we fix it this time around...sound familiar?).

What had to happen - what still has to happen - is that UA step outside of its own gene pool to find answers. Coaches who earn the job without "UA" being on their resume. Once that success happens this will start to fade.

MA had to go to both UAB and Mizzou. Still, he has to win (and win big) for that critique to not eventually resurface. The improvement is encouraging, from my vantage (but I would not want this to digress into an MA discussion, so I do apologize if it pushes buttons).

Someone mentioned the track program. There was an immense pushback to the direction JL took the track program...right up to the moment the new coach own a NC doing it his way. Now, fans of the track program may still pine for Stanley Redwine or Dick Booth. We all have coaches at other schools that we like! But, those fans cannot beef a blue streak on HV because they look like darned fools for arguing with the success we are enjoying.

The one problem with CBB that I can find - he had the unfortunate luck to follow JLS' 2012 season. Two whiffs, back to back, is hard for any fanbase to stomach. The arguing and postering doesn't make sense, given that one whiff preceded the other. Mostly, it is sour grapes and venting (from my vantage, and I don't think you are worried about that!).

The public evidence supports the body of work from Jeff Long. Thus, he gets my support. Are there reasons why folks might find him to be a hunk of crap? Sure, but those are based on private rumors and backroom whispers, nothing that can be publicly substantiated. It is patently unfair to suggest so-and-so was going to be hired - Long has a significant track record of trickster moves when it comes to hiring coaches.

I'll never forget texting a friend that Mike Gundy was our new coach...and by the time I finished a well-deserved dump in the toilet at work...CBB was our coach! Long relishes that part of his job, and he is good at it. That rubs some folks the wrong way, and I get that.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:27:38 pm
Except we reseeded with crabgrass instead of Bermuda.

No, you're not a troll at all.  An obvious mislabel on my part.   ::)

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 08, 2013, 10:28:18 pm
Intelligent?  LOL  I've blasted each and every argument you've made out of the water, and you throw that tripe out?  Like I said...you're trolling.  What have you contributed to this thread?  Answer THAT question. 

It's why you type things like "How did that work out?" and refer to last season, when I was talking about the FUTURE.  You know...the thing coming, NOT the thing in the past that you're stuck in.  Then thing that requires some patience.  You know...it's not impossible to suggest that the BEST thing that could happen for us right now is for some continuity.  We start getting down on our coaches this fast, and no one will EVER want to come coach here again.  You ever think of that?   

You post just like your avatar says....Lemming.  Think for yourself a little...you never know, you might like it. 

You just typed 3 paragraphs of nothing. Kudos. That takes talent.

Oklahawg

Quote from: BPsTheMan on December 08, 2013, 10:20:33 pm
Thank you Yoko Ono

"must exist behind a curtain and never will be exposed."

The "must" is a copout

Will never be exposed? The Arkansas media agrees with you

You make some sense, on occasion. And then you undermine it by not "getting" the basics of how news happens in the world. HINT: it tends to require hard cold facts be revealed as, well, hard cold facts. Or, a journalist has to risk losing 2-3 sources that happen to tell the same story.

Until you've been a journalist having to nurture sources you'll not know how hard this really is.

And, let me be nicer than you are: you do make some points. Step back and build on the appreciation.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 08, 2013, 10:29:26 pm

Having said that, let's see how some honesty might go:

"Well, boys, we suck ass. My linebackers are slow as smoke off monkey sh*t, my defensive backs couldn't cover me, and my quarterback couldn't hit water if he fell outta the damn boat. We're looking at a 3 to 5 year rebuild, if we're lucky. If we aren't, I'll be coaching linebackers somewhere. Honestly, if lightning strikes and I can ever figure a way to win 9 or 10 games, my big ass will be out of here on the first thing smoking."

Awesome!   8)

moses_007

"Well, boys, we suck ass. My linebackers are slow as smoke off monkey sh*t, my defensive backs couldn't cover me, and my quarterback couldn't hit water if he fell outta the damn boat. We're looking at a 3 to 5 year rebuild, if we're lucky. If we aren't, I'll be coaching linebackers somewhere. Honestly, if lightning strikes and I can ever figure a way to win 9 or 10 games, my big ass will be out of here on the first thing smoking."
I wonder what coach Wilson is talking about here?  Psssst, I think I know.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:31:39 pm
You just typed 3 paragraphs of nothing. Kudos. That takes talent.

I'll try to come up with better stuff like how we reseeded with crabgrass instead of bermuda next time.   ::)

WilsonHog

Quote from: moses_007 on December 08, 2013, 10:33:01 pm
I wonder what coach Wilson is talking about here?  Psssst, I think I know.

I'm talking about every coach.

That's why I loved Danny Ford. He wasn't going to say a damn thing worth writing, but he was going to have fun doing it. "Well, Bob (Holt), he's got that knee. I'm not a doctor, Bob."

Oklahawg

Quote from: moses_007 on December 08, 2013, 10:27:24 pm
Rational discussion of Arkansas football only occurs during years when the Hogs are very successful.  In years we are losing, nothing is rational.

No kidding.

bwbcpa

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2013, 10:29:27 pm
Thanks. The explanation helps a lot. Credit for explaining it.

I think one thing that must be mentioned here: Tuberville in 2005 is also a political hire (the guy was passed over in 1998 so we fix it this time around...sound familiar?).

What had to happen - what still has to happen - is that UA step outside of its own gene pool to find answers. Coaches who earn the job without "UA" being on their resume. Once that success happens this will start to fade.

MA had to go to both UAB and Mizzou. Still, he has to win (and win big) for that critique to not eventually resurface. The improvement is encouraging, from my vantage (but I would not want this to digress into an MA discussion, so I do apologize if it pushes buttons).

Someone mentioned the track program. There was an immense pushback to the direction JL took the track program...right up to the moment the new coach own a NC doing it his way. Now, fans of the track program may still pine for Stanley Redwine or Dick Booth. We all have coaches at other schools that we like! But, those fans cannot beef a blue streak on HV because they look like darned fools for arguing with the success we are enjoying.

The one problem with CBB that I can find - he had the unfortunate luck to follow JLS' 2012 season. Two whiffs, back to back, is hard for any fanbase to stomach. The arguing and postering doesn't make sense, given that one whiff preceded the other. Mostly, it is sour grapes and venting (from my vantage, and I don't think you are worried about that!).

The public evidence supports the body of work from Jeff Long. Thus, he gets my support. Are there reasons why folks might find him to be a hunk of crap? Sure, but those are based on private rumors and backroom whispers, nothing that can be publicly substantiated. It is patently unfair to suggest so-and-so was going to be hired - Long has a significant track record of trickster moves when it comes to hiring coaches.

I'll never forget texting a friend that Mike Gundy was our new coach...and by the time I finished a well-deserved dump in the toilet at work...CBB was our coach! Long relishes that part of his job, and he is good at it. That rubs some folks the wrong way, and I get that.

Funny you should mention Coach Anderson. My first thought when he was announced was, "Did Jeff do this? How do we get rid of him if he fails?" 

Mr. Blonde

Having said that, let's see how some honesty at a press conference might go:

"Well, boys, we suck ass. My linebackers are slow as smoke off monkey sh*t, my defensive backs couldn't cover me, and my quarterback couldn't hit water if he fell outta the damn boat. We're looking at a 3 to 5 year rebuild, if we're lucky. If we aren't, I'll be coaching linebackers somewhere. Honestly, if lightning strikes and I can ever figure a way to win 9 or 10 games, my big ass will be out of here on the first thing smoking. Now then...what's this I hear about some catfish?"

Yeah, I think I'd much rather hear, "I think we can win some games."

It's the players huh? Yet we hung with aTm. Should have beat lsu, msu, and ole miss.

How about a little of the head football coach taking responsibility instead of indirectly taking shots at the players on his radio show and press conferences?

Oklahawg

Quote from: bwbcpa on December 08, 2013, 10:26:45 pm
Thanks, that gives me some reference to understanding why Gus was passed up last year (and I'm not a Gus fan).

That is the 800 pound gorilla sitting in the room.

If someone creates this headline in the newspaper tomorrow "Gus Was Unhirable at Arkansas" everyone would read and get it. Not sure it is every a publishable story. Maybe it should be. Maybe that's not the real story - but there is plenty out there that helps inform the situation that is incubating under the rug in deep slumber.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:38:48 pm
It's the players huh? Yet we hung with aTm. Should have beat lsu, msu, and ole miss.

How about a little of the head football coach taking responsibility instead of indirectly taking shots at the players on his radio show and press conferences?

Unprovable, but it sure reads nice, don't it? <*spit*>

WilsonHog

Never said it was the players. I was talking about the dynamics of press conferences.

If you are a reporter questioning me, why would I ever let you set the agenda by answering questions you want me to? Ask whatever you want, and I'll craft my answer as I see fit. I'm going to answer the question I wish you'd asked. If you don't like that, I'll stop answering altogether. Nolan was great at that.

Kenny Hawgins

You're saying that hanging with aTm and LSU is the baseline and BB's coaching caused us to play below our ability. 

The flaw with that line of reasoning is that it disregards the much more likely scenario: that we have a very young, undeveloped team and playing with aTm and LSU was us developing/playing better than we probably should have due to good coaching.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 08, 2013, 10:41:44 pm
Never said it was the players. I was talking about the dynamics of press conferences.

If you are a reporter questioning me, why would I ever let you set the agenda by answering questions you want me to? Ask whatever you want, and I'll craft my answer as I see fit. I'm going to answer the question I wish you'd asked. If you don't like that, I'll stop answering altogether. Nolan was great at that.

Nolan was great at many things.

goodguytex

Major college football these days is about politics. Petrino wasn't a good enough baby kisser, arse kisser and glad hander and didn't kiss up to the Arkansas media and those in influence enough to survive what happened during early 2012. If he had been a better politician, he would not have been fired. IMO anyway. Nutt would not have survived past 2004 IMO had he been like Bobby with his people skills. Politics is why Mack brown keeps his job too.

hehawg

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 08, 2013, 10:49:32 pm
You're saying that hanging with aTm and LSU is the baseline and BB's coaching caused us to play below our ability. 

The flaw with that line of reasoning is that it disregards the much more likely scenario: that we have a very young, undeveloped team and playing with aTm and LSU was us developing/playing better than we probably should have due to good coaching.

I'm not a happy camper but..

+1
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2013, 10:32:10 pm
You make some sense, on occasion. And then you undermine it by not "getting" the basics of how news happens in the world. HINT: it tends to require hard cold facts be revealed as, well, hard cold facts. Or, a journalist has to risk losing 2-3 sources that happen to tell the same story.

Until you've been a journalist having to nurture sources you'll not know how hard this really is.

And, let me be nicer than you are: you do make some points. Step back and build on the appreciation.

Kudos that you're trying to get along with me, and I'm trying to get along with you.

But you cannot broadly defend our media with some Journalism 101 stuff. Op eds are analysis. Based on fact. What "should be done" then follows with a writer, who I guess in Arkansas, needs an extra set of balls.

Sounds like you're defending the proverbial Wally riding the fence as usual until the GOBN network told him it was finally okay to have a strong opinion.

Our local media went after Nutt at a snails pace. Then they went after Bobby like lightening.

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 08, 2013, 10:49:32 pm

Disagree.  there were very specific moments in the games I mentioned that a coach's bad decision played a significant role in the final outcome..all of which were losses.

goodguytex

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:53:10 pm
Disagree.  there were very specific moments in the games I mentioned that a coach's bad decision played a significant role in the final outcome..all of which were losses.
All coaches when they start in a program as HC for the first time in a new conference, especially an upgrade from the BIG to the SEC is going to make newbie mistakes. There will be learning experiences from this season. BP made mistakes, some big ones in coaching in his first couple years. It took time to learn and adjust. As it will BB.

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: goodguytex on December 08, 2013, 10:59:40 pm
All coaches when they start in a program as HC for the first time in a new conference, especially an upgrade from the BIG to the SEC is going to make newbie mistakes. There will be learning experiences from this season. BP made mistakes, some big ones in coaching in his first couple years. It took time to learn and adjust. As it will BB.

I can understand that view but absolutely do not agree.

My take is the mistakes he made had nothing to do with being in a new conference.

Oklahawg

Quote from: BPsTheMan on December 08, 2013, 10:52:14 pm
Kudos that you're trying to get along with me, and I'm trying to get along with you.

But you cannot broadly defend our media with some Journalism 101 stuff. Op eds are analysis. Based on fact. What "should be done" then follows with a writer, who I guess in Arkansas, needs an extra set of balls.

Sounds like you're defending the proverbial Wally riding the fence as usual until the GOBN network told him it was finally okay to have a strong opinion.

Our local media went after Nutt at a snails pace. Then they went after Bobby like lightening.

I laugh at Wally. I read Jim Harris and watch Mike Irwin.

Set the standard higher. Why not ask those two guys about "Journalism 101"?

Disappointed, really, that you don't understand the Bobby situation better. You seem capable.

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2013, 11:12:30 pm

Disappointed, really, that you don't understand the Bobby situation better. You seem capable.

One could say the same about you.  I'm sure you recognize that though.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 08, 2013, 11:12:30 pm

I said proverbial...

you're disappointed? really? 

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Mr. Blonde on December 08, 2013, 10:53:10 pm
All coaches make mistakes or make calls they wish they could take back. 

Think Saban would do something different on that last play vs. Aubie?  Think of all the dumb things that we've seen Miles do and still get away with.  It all comes down to minimizing those plays as much as possible.  If you have an uber-talented team like Saban or Miles, you can almost always get away with stuff. 

When you have a team that is this weak at key positions and very young/undeveloped at other positions, those plays stand out more. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Mr. Blonde

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on December 08, 2013, 11:41:33 pm
All coaches make mistakes or make calls they wish they could take back. 

Think Saban would do something different on that last play vs. Aubie?  Think of all the dumb things that we've seen Miles do and still get away with.  It all comes down to minimizing those plays as much as possible.  If you have an uber-talented team like Saban or Miles, you can almost always get away with stuff. 

When you have a team that is this weak at key positions and very young/undeveloped at other positions, those plays stand out more. 

Solid point.

LSUFan

Oh, I'm here.

It's called a summation of series (Soap Operas).

Which deters recruits.

And are you saying JFB no longer sits in an office in the Broyles Building, or whatever the sheep named it to the gawd of 2yds and a cloud of dust?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.