Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup Brazil 2014

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, December 07, 2013, 01:55:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: JayBell on May 22, 2014, 07:56:32 pm
There's several prevalent theories going around. All of them are dumb and none have anything to do with Donovan's ability on the field.

One theory is that Klinsmann is testing the young guys at this World Cup to prepare them for the next one.  That entire concept is un-American and even more outside of the US Soccer mentality.

A lot folks are trying to rationalize it by saying the US basically had no chance anyway being in the Group of the Death.  Again, that approach just isn't US Soccer.  USMNT fans would have tolerated going 0-3 with Donovan on the roster.  Other disagree with me, but I think going 0-3 without Donovan puts Klinsmann's job in jeopardy.

The other theory, my theory, is that Klinsmann never liked the attention Donovan got.  He viewed it as a detriment to the team as a whole despite historic results that point to the contrary.  Klinsmann called Donovan a "sacred cow" for the way fans and media treat him.  Cutting him from the World Cup roster does nothing to stop that.

Quote from: JayBell on May 22, 2014, 07:58:38 pm
Klinsmann can rationalize it all he wants, but it was a bull$**t move.  Despite no evidence to the contrary, he seems to feel that the attention Donovan gets is not good for the team and that Donovan may not give his best effort in Brazil.

Klinsmann's son being a monumental jack@$$ on Twitter and having to delete his account didn't help the situation.  IMO, baby Klinsmann's thoughts said a lot about Juergen's thoughts on Donovan, which have nothing to do with his playing ability.

I agree, none of those make sense.  We don't get ANY attention, none of them do.  There was just an article written a couple of days ago about how our guys could walk around campus at Stanford, go out to eat, while Wayne Rooney tries to get away with his family for a couple of days vacation on an island and is followed and hounded by paparrazi.

Donovan lost the captain armband, was probably not going to start, but seemed willing to go and contribute.  You don't cut a player who has that kind of talent and World Cup experience, and has scored the kind of goals he has on that stage.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hogsooey

Quote from: JayBell on May 22, 2014, 07:58:38 pm
Klinsmann can rationalize it all he wants, but it was a bull$**t move.  Despite no evidence to the contrary, he seems to feel that the attention Donovan gets is not good for the team and that Donovan may not give his best effort in Brazil.

Klinsmann's son being a monumental jack@$$ on Twitter and having to delete his account didn't help the situation.  IMO, baby Klinsmann's thoughts said a lot about Juergen's thoughts on Donovan, which have nothing to do with his playing ability.

Exactly.

One of the things I really think Klinsmann understands is winning and operating in the midfield.  The concern IMO, would be creating chances to score because Altidore is strong and can finish, and Wondo just has a nose for the goal.  But Donovan is a guy you can bring in who can create those opportunities(like Bradley), but can also finish.

If we get down 1-0, and are struggling to create those opportunities, I can't think of anyone better to bring in than Donovan.

So frustrating...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on May 22, 2014, 08:27:29 pmOne of the things I really think Klinsmann understands is winning and operating in the midfield.  The concern IMO, would be creating chances to score because Altidore is strong and can finish, and Wondo just has a nose for the goal.  But Donovan is a guy you can bring in who can create those opportunities(like Bradley), but can also finish.

If we get down 1-0, and are struggling to create those opportunities, I can't think of anyone better to bring in than Donovan.

So frustrating...

Second biggest weakness of the current US squad is creativity/chance creation.  The backline is the main weakness (and only got worse with Klinsmann completely abandoning his backline from qualifying, IMO).  I think Dempsey, Bacon, Jozy, Wondo, etc. will finish the chances they get.  Then Bradley, Beckerman, Jones and Diskerud make the US strong in the middle of the field.

Cutting Donovan puts the onus of creating goal scoring chances on guys like Dempsey, Bradley, Bedoya and Zusi.  Those guys are good, but that's never been their job.  And Klinsmann is putting it all on them.  I just don't see how that is a good strategy.

The Boar War

I think this is a message for the future:  You can't take a break during qualifying and expect to reap the rewards when it's time to go to the World Cup.

Obviously it's a different situation but we did something similar with USA Basketball.

Rooka

Quote from: The Boar War on May 23, 2014, 07:37:11 am
I think this is a message for the future:  You can't take a break during qualifying and expect to reap the rewards when it's time to go to the World Cup.

Obviously it's a different situation but we did something similar with USA Basketball.
Sadly, though, Timmy Chandler did practically the same thing and yet he still makes the roster...

Like someone said eariler, no way can you convince me that Donovan is not one of the top 23 players for this team, no matter how bad of a camp he had or how poor his form is. Whatever the case may be, Klinsmann has really set himself up with this one. I still believe he has us on the right track, but this kind of decision just seems to pull the wind right out of the sails. There is something more between these two, no doubt, and it's a shame that it has more than likely ended the national team career of a player that gave so much in the past.

I still think the boys will do us proud and they will scratch and claw for every second, but if we don't bring back any points due to a lack of scoring opportunites and poor counter attacking then all the fingers of blame (right or wrong) will be pointing in one direction.

Would never happen in any other of the world's best teams.  The coach would be fired before their #1 player/scorer with that kind of World Cup experience.

He's only 32, which for an experienced player with his talent is not that old to bring to the WC.

His play in 2010 earned him the right to be on this squad, and he should have been encouraged to take a break during qualifying since we didn't need him, and to keep him from being injured. 

If we have a poor showing at the World Cup, Lando could still play in the next one because Klinsmann will probably be fired - and that may not have been the case had he not cut Donovan.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Donovan being cut has to be personal.

Makes zero sense to not bring him.  I do not see us getting out of this group.  This move just made this about Klinsmann and not about US soccer.

His sons tweet spoke volumes.

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on May 24, 2014, 06:17:02 am
Donovan being cut has to be personal.

Makes zero sense to not bring him.  I do not see us getting out of this group.  This move just made this about Klinsmann and not about US soccer.

His sons tweet spoke volumes.

Yep, and his "apology" was this: "Yes, I deleted the tweet, Yes, I realize it was VERY classless. But again, My sincerest apologies to everyone who was offended."

To "everyone who was offended"???  How about apologizing to Landon?

This kid plays on the under-18 U.S. team, but I hope he gets booed every time he steps on to the field, and never makes the USMNT.

And that may not be fair to him - His Dad somehow influenced his perspective on Donovan.

But you can't disrespect a veteran player like that, the best player in our history, and still expect to wear our colors.

Even though Klinsmann said he was angry about it, he also tried to justify it saying his son was just joking with his friends.  Yeah right.

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on May 24, 2014, 07:00:32 pm
Yep, and his "apology" was this: "Yes, I deleted the tweet, Yes, I realize it was VERY classless. But again, My sincerest apologies to everyone who was offended."

To "everyone who was offended"???  How about apologizing to Landon?

This kid plays on the under-18 U.S. team, but I hope he gets booed every time he steps on to the field, and never makes the USMNT.

And that may not be fair to him - His Dad somehow influenced his perspective on Donovan.

But you can't disrespect a veteran player like that, the best player in our history, and still expect to wear our colors.

Even though Klinsmann said he was angry about it, he also tried to justify it saying his son was just joking with his friends.  Yeah right.

He is 18. I think I can forgive and forget.  I'm sure Landon could care less the opinions of some punk kid.  Come to think of it he is actually probably thankful.  After being cut, Landon probably had no idea why he was really cut.  Of course Klinsmann tried to make it look like skill sets, but you know Donovan probably thought it was personal.  That tweet confirmed his and everyone else's belief.

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2014, 08:11:17 pm
He is 18. I think I can forgive and forget.

Again, it's more Jurgen's fault than his.  But it is a huge deal bc the World Cup is only once every 4 years.  You only get so many chances.

I don't trust either one of them representing us now.

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on May 24, 2014, 08:17:01 pm
Again, it's more Jurgen's fault than his.  But it is a huge deal bc the World Cup is only once every 4 years.  You only get so many chances.

I don't trust either one of them representing us now.

Juergen has been good for US soccer. I'm not going to let one unpopular decision change my opinion of that.  Nor am I going to condemn a kid whose obviously just imitating his father's opinion.

Donovan is a legend and just like all of you I have a hard time believing he wasn't good enough from a skillset standpoint. But I also don't believe we would have wanted him out there over 60 minutes in any game.  That being said, he dug his own grave with his sabbatical bull.  What player walks away from their country when they are trying to qualify for the World Cup? Especially when you are the face of the team?   We didn't need him to get there and he has kind of acted like his spot should be a given until these last couple months. On that principal, I stand by Klinsmann.

If you happen to get ESPN insider this is a really good article.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espnfc/news/story/_/id/1830385?cc=5901

Star players from other countries do that all the time.  We didn't need him to qualify, and at 32, he needed to recharge.  He's earned that right and it was a positive move on his part.

He was invited to the 30 man camp, and there is no way he was the 24th best player. 

It was a personal issue and Klinsmann should have put his ego aside, because Landon did, willing to give up the arm band and a starting position.

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2014, 08:42:11 pm
Juergen has been good for US soccer. I'm not going to let one unpopular decision change my opinion of that.  Nor am I going to condemn a kid whose obviously just imitating his father's opinion.

Donovan is a legend and just like all of you I have a hard time believing he wasn't good enough from a skillset standpoint. But I also don't believe we would have wanted him out there over 60 minutes in any game.  That being said, he dug his own grave with his sabbatical bull.  What player walks away from their country when they are trying to qualify for the World Cup? Especially when you are the face of the team?   We didn't need him to get there and he has kind of acted like his spot should be a given until these last couple months. On that principal, I stand by Klinsmann.

If you happen to get ESPN insider this is a really good article.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espnfc/news/story/_/id/1830385?cc=5901

That IS a good article and you make some good points.  Once we get going with our last few games, it may be easier to move on.

However, one of my MAIN frustrations with U.S. soccer in the past has been that they tend to value youth over experience.  Other teams who have had more success, and in Latin America where I grew up, experience is equally valued if not more.  We haven't had a player with the success/experience at the World Cup that Donovan has.  So for him to be dismissed and the way it was done, just brings up that frustration all over again.

That being said, Bradley has been my favorite player for a long time and I believe he has a chance to end up being the best overall player we've ever had.  There's a lot of upside to our team - I just hate that it started this way.

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on May 24, 2014, 09:57:33 pm
That IS a good article and you make some good points.  Once we get going with our last few games, it may be easier to move on.

However, one of my MAIN frustrations with U.S. soccer in the past has been that they tend to value youth over experience.  Other teams who have had more success, and in Latin America where I grew up, experience is equally valued if not more.  We haven't had a player with the success/experience at the World Cup that Donovan has.  So for him to be dismissed and the way it was done, just brings up that frustration all over again.

That being said, Bradley has been my favorite player for a long time and I believe he has a chance to end up being the best overall player we've ever had.  There's a lot of upside to our team - I just hate that it started this way.

I do agree with you that I'd favor veterans over youth.  Think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was questioning England's youth movement.  Now their omissions aren't as shocking as Donovan, but it's the same premise.

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2014, 10:18:37 pm
I do agree with you that I'd favor veterans over youth.  Think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was questioning England's youth movement.  Now their omissions aren't as shocking as Donovan, but it's the same premise.

I'm not surprised(I haven't paid much attention to what they're doing lately).  To be the country that invented soccer and have such a talent pool to draw from, they've underachieved for decades.  I think the last time they won one was '66.

And I'm really glad Beckerman's getting a shot.  He's a great role player and it was about time he was given an opportunity.

JayBell

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2014, 08:42:11 pm
Definitely.  Juergen has taken away the emphasis from Donovan and even Bradley, Dempsey and Howard.  He wants the entire team to play as confident as its star players and I think it has paid off.  I can forgive and forget the kid's dumb@$$ comments, but it is going to take a while.

Quote from: yraciv on May 24, 2014, 08:42:11 pmDonovan is a legend and just like all of you I have a hard time believing he wasn't good enough from a skillset standpoint. But I also don't believe we would have wanted him out there over 60 minutes in any game.  That being said, he dug his own grave with his sabbatical bull.  What player walks away from their country when they are trying to qualify for the World Cup? Especially when you are the face of the team?   We didn't need him to get there and he has kind of acted like his spot should be a given until these last couple months. On that principal, I stand by Klinsmann.

Not that I am labeling you in any way, I just want to use this as somewhat of an example.  USMNT "fans" with this kind of opinion have been coming out of the woodwork since the decision was made.  This kind of reasoning is an attempt to rationalize Klinsmann's decision.  It is bull$**t, plain and simple.

And I don't know how it can possibly be perceived that Donovan felt he should just be given a spot.  The trainers said he was working just as hard as anyone in camp.  He came back from his sabbatical, dominated the Gold Cup and has been one of the best players on the team ever since.

Donovan just went out there and dominated an MLS match: 83 minutes, two goals and an assist.  Folks are trying to rationalize the decision by saying Donovan is out of shape, too old, not good enough, etc.  No.  Just, no.  Klinsmann was wrong.  To make it worse, he lied about it.

JayBell

The way Klinsmann went about the whole thing was just really dirty.  He called in 30 players and claimed that there were 50-50 battles going on for guys to make the roster, but he went into the camp with a predetermined 23 and strung along the other seven guys.

He said he only considers Donovan to be a forward.  What???  He played wide for the US earlier this year.  He hasn't been an out and out striker since like 2007.  Klinsmann also stranded Brad Evans at centerback.  Not that I thought Evans should have made the roster, but he deserved a fair shot once he got called in.  Parkhurst has echoed the sentiment.

Every standard that Klinsmann has tried to use to rationalize the situation is complete BS.  Fitness: He just played 83 minutes.  Not good enough: we all know that's not true.

Klinsmann has never liked the attention that Donovan receives as the US's transcendent soccer personality and he wanted to make a statement.  It was the wrong statement and the wrong decision.

Hogsooey

Just got around to watching the Galaxy match tonight. Donovan was razor sharp, especially with his touches and passing. Looked very fit, making numerous sprinting runs, and still looked like one of the fastest guys on the field. Oh yeah, he also had a brace and an assist.  I agree, the Klinsmann reasons for the cut were just BS. He should've just cut the cord last year and said that Donovan doesn't fit into his plans. That would have been much more understandable.

Just read that it looks like as far as strikers go, the older Klose will be kept on and Gomez cut from the German squad.  I think this is good news for us.  Klose is 36, and it looks like they are trying to get him some of the individual records - I think he will be much easier to contain than the younger Gomez, and he will have that added pressure of the individual recognition.  If we can keep Schweinsteiger and Podolski on their heals and less offensive, the aging Klose can be contained.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on May 30, 2014, 03:48:24 amJust read that it looks like as far as strikers go, the older Klose will be kept on and Gomez cut from the German squad.  I think this is good news for us.  Klose is 36, and it looks like they are trying to get him some of the individual records - I think he will be much easier to contain than the younger Gomez, and he will have that added pressure of the individual recognition.  If we can keep Schweinsteiger and Podolski on their heals and less offensive, the aging Klose can be contained

The third game in the group stage and the round of 16 matches are more influenced by physical attributes because the turnaround from the second group stage game to the third and then to the elimination rounds is unlike the rest of the tournament.  Between the first two games and then later from the quarterfinals on, there's more rest in between.

So I think Klose's effectiveness will depend on how much he and his other android teammates are used in the first two matches.  My hope for the Germany game has always been that they win the first two to secure passage to the next round.  That way maybe they're not as prepared mentally or physically for the third match as the US will be.

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on May 30, 2014, 03:48:24 am
Just read that it looks like as far as strikers go, the older Klose will be kept on and Gomez cut from the German squad.  I think this is good news for us.  Klose is 36, and it looks like they are trying to get him some of the individual records - I think he will be much easier to contain than the younger Gomez, and he will have that added pressure of the individual recognition.  If we can keep Schweinsteiger and Podolski on their heals and less offensive, the aging Klose can be contained.

Except you still have to figure out how to contain Reus, Ozil and Muller. Not to mention Kroos firing his blasts on goal from midfield. Plus, it's certainly possible we could see Gotze in a false 9 position, meaning we'd have to deal with all of the above attacking talent.

I'm in the boat that hopes they have six points and decide to rest their top top talent. They do have lots of guys carrying varying degrees of knocks, including Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, and Klose as well, so that could play into those decisions.

Quote from: Hogsooey on May 30, 2014, 07:18:06 pm
Except you still have to figure out how to contain Reus, Ozil and Muller. Not to mention Kroos firing his blasts on goal from midfield. Plus, it's certainly possible we could see Gotze in a false 9 position, meaning we'd have to deal with all of the above attacking talent.

I'm in the boat that hopes they have six points and decide to rest their top top talent. They do have lots of guys carrying varying degrees of knocks, including Neuer, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, and Klose as well, so that could play into those decisions.

Yeah, just looking for a silver lining.  My pics to win it all right now are: 1. Spain and 2. Germany

Hogsooey

Quote from: Notshavin on May 30, 2014, 07:26:09 pm
Yeah, just looking for a silver lining.  My pics to win it all right now are: 1. Spain and 2. Germany

Those are great picks. I'm with the popular pick Brazil at the moment - the edge being the home field advantage and less success for European sides on this side of the globe in winning WCs. I'd like to see how injuries and friendlies play out before going all in. Ha.

Quote from: Hogsooey on May 30, 2014, 07:33:21 pm
Those are great picks. I'm with the popular pick Brazil at the moment - the edge being the home field advantage and less success for European sides on this side of the globe in winning WCs. I'd like to see how injuries and friendlies play out before going all in. Ha.

Brazil will either win it all or lose every game and not make it out of their group. 

There are a lot of strong teams at this W.C.

Cresthog

Some great play today by the US.

Beautiful goal for Fabian Johnson and I love the all white US kit. Much better than the Russian thing we had on last game.

Quote from: Cresthog on June 01, 2014, 04:18:21 pm
Some great play today by the US.

Beautiful goal for Fabian Johnson and I love the all white US kit. Much better than the Russian thing we had on last game.

Agreed.  Once again, Bradley right in the middle of that play(it was a rebound of his shot that resulted in our first goal last game).

I think we finally have the all-around QB midfielder we've lacked in the past.  We've had some good ones(like Tab Ramos and Claudio Reyna), but they've lacked the international soccer toughness and experience needed at this level.  If our back line can gain some confidence, we could make some waves in Brazil.

I think we really need Altidore to step up now and soon.

Can't believe WC is almost here!

Really like the uni's with the collars.

Also, went back and watched again and I like Altidore and Dempsey together up top.  If we can create chances and score early against Ghana, we really give ourselves a chance to come out of the group.  We have to win that first game, and goal differential could prove to be huge.

JayBell

Folks needs to stop with the unrealistic expectations of Jozy.  You want him to score goals, but he does so much other stuff in Klinsmann's system.  Dempsey is the goal scorer.  Altidore is being asked to be the hold up guy and a target striker.  His physicality is going to be very useful against Ghana and Germany.  I wouldn't mind seeing AroJo or Wondo getting the start against Portugal and giving Jozy a rest.

JayBell

As far as yesterday, I think the positives were Bradley, Fabian, Zusi, Dempsey and Altidore.  There were plenty of negatives and more questions to be asked after the match.

- What is the best backline?  Fabian seems to be the top guy at outside back right now, but the defense has no chemistry.  Besler seems to be overcompensating.  I know everyone has their concerns about Gonzalez, but I think Beasley, Besler, OG, Cameron may be the most cohesive backline the US could have gone with.

Klinsmann is locked in to the current backline though.  It would have been excellent to have Ream on this roster as a like for like replacement for Besler and some emergency cover at left back.  Gonzalez, Cameron and Brooks are all pretty similar players, as far as style and strengths.

- Beasley IS the starting left back.  I'm not sure what anyone was watching to think that position is still up for grabs.  Chandler is not the answer on the left.  I was expecting a stronger performance from him.  My biggest issues with him have always been about his commitment and focus.  Focus issues arose again in the second half.

- A lot of polarization about the play of Jermaine Jones in the diamond.  He made some good defensive stops and covered a lot of ground, but the concerns are about his movement and timing.  A lot of area was exposed in front of the centerbacks yesterday, and this defense does not need the front six exposing them even worse than they already are.  Beckerman is still best behind Bradley in the diamond.  Klinsmann is forcing too many changes right now.

- Davis was invisible.  I didn't expect him to be on the roster anyway, so you can take my comments with a grain of salt if you want, but he just didn't do anything.  He wasn't bad, but he just wasn't good.  If his value on the roster is for a handful of set pieces per game when he shouldn't even be on the field, then that's a huge mistake.

It's amazing that some folks in Klinsmann's fan club want him to be right so bad that they were trying to prop Davis up and deride Zusi and/or Bedoya.  Zusi and Bedoya should be the starters, hands down, without Donovan in contention.  If Klinsmann has designated Green as the late sub and Mix is the creative option on the right.  Where does Davis fit?

- And Green was bad.  It sucks that the biggest question marks on the team (Green, Davis, Chandler) who helped Klinsmann justify leaving Donovan off the roster, all had really poor performances yesterday.

JayBell

AND, Klinsmann will refuse to admit that he made a mistake.  The starting XI, if he's smart, is already pretty secure.  They're the ones that will decide the US's success in Brazil.  But the bottom third of the roster is a mess.

Chandler shouldn't be there.  Davis shouldn't be there.  Green shouldn't be there.  Gonzalez and Brooks are too similar; there's no real backup to Besler.  Donovan should be on the roster, as should Boyd and Ream.  Edu would also be better on this roster than Chandler.

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 02, 2014, 07:23:47 am
AND, Klinsmann will refuse to admit that he made a mistake.  The starting XI, if he's smart, is already pretty secure.  They're the ones that will decide the US's success in Brazil.  But the bottom third of the roster is a mess.

Chandler shouldn't be there.  Davis shouldn't be there.  Green shouldn't be there.  Gonzalez and Brooks are too similar; there's no real backup to Besler.  Donovan should be on the roster, as should Boyd and Ream.  Edu would also be better on this roster than Chandler.

Could not have said it better.

Chandler is HORRIBLE. Hate to bash our guy, but he really brings nothing to the table at all. He doesn't even play physical. Edu is 5x more talented and can play about 5 positions decently if needed.

The exclusion of Donovan is even more mind boggling.

I do have to disagree on Davis though, I think he has been one of the brighter spots so far. Decent sub to bring on and his set piece delivery is a good wrinkle to have.

Chandler is a total WTH to me.

Rooka

Wish I had more time at the moment to give a good overview, but did want to echo the sentiments on Chandler. Don't see anyway of justifying his inclusion to the roster...Fabian Johnson looked superb, even without the goal. Alot of good from that game and alot of bad. If we play this diamond formation in Brazil and Beckerman is not holding mid, the holes in defense for players to run into will be MASSIVE. Even with Beckerman, going up against teams of the caliber we are going up with, it will leave alot of space. Really wish we would go back to the 4-2-3-1, but I think Klinsmann doesn't want Jozy up top by himself.

Also, I think Julian Green will be a great player for us in the future, but it's quite obvious that the only reason he made this squad was to get him committed and capped for the United States.

yraciv

I don't see Green getting in games, and it was more of a reward for choosing to side with the US.  You can afford that with 1 or 2 sub spots.  I completely agree with you on Chandler, he doesn't bring anything to the table, but then again our defensive depth has always worried me and I'm not sure who else in the system would bring anything better at RB.  Davis has earned his keep and proven to be a valuable sub , no problem with him at all.

Donvon's major problem from what I can tell out of Klinsmann's mouth was he is a forward.  We have 4 forward's and I have seen nothing out of them that says they don't deserve to be there.  Now the question is should we have brought Donovan as a 5th, and left a Chandler or Green home.  I certainly would make that argument, but I think we had ideal numbers in place for each position.

JayBell

Quote from: yraciv on June 02, 2014, 01:28:47 pmDonvon's major problem from what I can tell out of Klinsmann's mouth was he is a forward.  We have 4 forward's and I have seen nothing out of them that says they don't deserve to be there.  Now the question is should we have brought Donovan as a 5th, and left a Chandler or Green home.  I certainly would make that argument, but I think we had ideal numbers in place for each position.

That's just Klinsmann's excuse.  It's BS.  And if he's not lying about it, then he's dumb.  Donovan played wide for the US earlier in a game this year.  He hasn't been an out and out striker since 2007/2008-ish.  It's ridiculous to try to categorize Donovan as just a forward only.

JayBell

I guess folks have been impressed by Davis.  I've never disliked him as a player, I just don't know what he can offer at the World Cup level.  When you have other attacking subs like Johannsson, Wondo and Mix, I just don't see Davis' value on the roster.

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 03, 2014, 08:47:36 am
I guess folks have been impressed by Davis.  I've never disliked him as a player, I just don't know what he can offer at the World Cup level.  When you have other attacking subs like Johannsson, Wondo and Mix, I just don't see Davis' value on the roster.

You're pretty connected still right? What is the ho hum about Donovan's exclusion?

Purely personality or something?

Hogsooey

No grand revelations here, but a few tidbits about the Donovan issue, plus some insight into Klinsmann's personality. One thing I find interesting is I got the feeling JK didn't like LD's honesty about not being able to train for 12 straight days and have 12 great training sessions. But, Klinsmann can be honest about us not being able to win the World Cup.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/magazine/how-jurgen-klinsmann-plans-to-make-us-soccer-better-and-less-american.html?referrer=

JayBell

Quote from: Cresthog on June 05, 2014, 02:11:52 pmYou're pretty connected still right? What is the ho hum about Donovan's exclusion?

Purely personality or something?

I haven't gotten any extra insight on it than anyone else.  Everyone I have talked to about it seemed as genuinely shocked as the rest of us.  Grant Wahl and others have been outspoken about it being a mistake.  A couple of folks like Steve Davis tried to rationalize it as best as they can, but no one has been able to give a clear, definitive reason.

I don't even know if it is based on Donovan's personality.  My theory is that Klinsmann has never liked the attention Donovan receives.  And it's such a dumb decision because it's never affected the team before.

JayBell

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 05, 2014, 08:15:11 pmNo grand revelations here, but a few tidbits about the Donovan issue, plus some insight into Klinsmann's personality. One thing I find interesting is I got the feeling JK didn't like LD's honesty about not being able to train for 12 straight days and have 12 great training sessions. But, Klinsmann can be honest about us not being able to win the World Cup.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/magazine/how-jurgen-klinsmann-plans-to-make-us-soccer-better-and-less-american.html?referrer=

Exactly.  Klinsmann has always been proud of being willing to be more frank than a lot of other people, yet he's taken such umbrage at some things that Donovan has done or said over the last few years.  His dishonesty about the situation has annoyed me as much as anything.

On top of that, he provided a bunch of BS ammo for Donovan haters who are still upset Donovan spent his career in MLS instead of somewhere in Europe.  "Too old," "out of shape," "selfish," "not good enough," etc.  None of those criticisms were being levied at Donovan before the last two weeks, but folks came out of the woodwork to defend Klinsmann and resume the assault of Donovan's play and character that they haven't been able to do since 2006.

Cresthog

Quote from: JayBell on June 06, 2014, 08:56:27 am
I don't even know if it is based on Donovan's personality.  My theory is that Klinsmann has never liked the attention Donovan receives.  And it's such a dumb decision because it's never affected the team before.

It's super hypocritical right? He says how he wants us to be "less American", well there you go, Donovan is treated like a European soccer star, as he should. All the other players from the national teams are absolutely SHOWERED with media attention. Regardless of the position they play be it goal scoring or defending, etc.

Just makes no sense.

Hogsooey

Can't say that I've followed pre-WC injuries that much in the past, but it seems like a lot of big players are dropping like flies. To add to the seemingly large list, saw today that Ribery and the Russian captain, Shirokov, were dropped due to injuries.

Quote from: Hogsooey on June 06, 2014, 01:19:04 pm
Can't say that I've followed pre-WC injuries that much in the past, but it seems like a lot of big players are dropping like flies. To add to the seemingly large list, saw today that Ribery and the Russian captain, Shirokov, were dropped due to injuries.

Wow.  Ribery was listed in one article as one of the top 6 players going in. 

Hogsooey

And, people are already wondering if Marco Reus will miss the WC. Apparently left a friendly crying after suffering an ankle injury. Germany has tons of talent, but that would still be a huge blow for them, especially later in the tourney.

Cresthog

Chamberlain should be out for England as well. Not nearly as big a deal is Ribery though.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/photos/iconic-2014-world-cup-posters-are-branding-genius-slideshow/-photo-012424195.html

A lot of people in the South may not like our nickname, but you have to admit these posters look awesome.