Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Cup Brazil 2014

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, December 07, 2013, 01:55:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Foul called, make-up call - Donovan taking on 3 guys..

Last play of the game on this kick outside the box - Dempsey to take it.

Dempsey shoots low wide left.

We look so good on offensive and in the midfield.  But Klinsman better figure out how to fix the problems on defense.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LOL - The Mexican team's bus was late for the game.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

yraciv

Got the draw. Best 1st half we've seen in a while, 2nd half was wide open and had a lot of the sloppiness we're used to with missed assignments. Green looked nervous and struggled, but that could be expected.  Still trying out a lot of guys, and we used Ramondo in goal, so not going to overanalyze it too much. And like I said we had a good 3rd goal disallowed and a questionable no call penalty right around the box late. Should have been a win!

yraciv

Quote from: Notshavin on April 03, 2014, 12:09:56 am
Green looks incredibly good for an 18 year-old.  But from the little I've seen today he's not ready enough to take up a WC roster spot.

I don't know too early to tell.  He certainly does things you can't coach, and will continue to grow.  I'd like to have him there to gain experience, even if he doesn't play because I anticipate he'll be starting in 4 years.  But Johnson, Wondo, we've got other options at the Forward that have experience and aren't doing anything to hurt their push for a spot.

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2014, 12:20:09 am
I don't know too early to tell.  He certainly does things you can't coach, and will continue to grow.  I'd like to have him there to gain experience, even if he doesn't play because I anticipate he'll be starting in 4 years.  But Johnson, Wondo, we've got other options at the Forward that have experience and aren't doing anything to hurt their push for a spot.

I agree, we should have won, Eddie deserved that goal.

It's going to be interesting to see which one of these "on the bubble" players he chooses.

Cotton

My thoughts.

1. Defense not on the same page, but Howard being there will help organization a bit. Have to remember these guys haven't been playing together much lately, they'll be spending a lot more time together next month so communication should improve on all fronts.

2. Eddie was robbed. Go search twitter for the pictures, he was in a direct line and timed it perfect.

3. Green was fouled, but it was outside the box.

4. Julian Green. Kid has a lot of potential! But a really long way to go. Commentators compared him to a young Donovan back in 2000. Has flashes of brilliance, and a natural instinct for the game, just needs experience. Idk if he'll make a spot or not, personally I hope he does, even if we don't see him. He is our best future prospect at this point.

5. Crowd - reports were the crowd was 70-30 Hispanic. Couldn't really tell watching on IPad, but there was an obvious volume difference when the Mexican supporters yelled.

6. What a first half! That showing gives me all the hope and confidence in the world that we can play with anybody when we play our best.

7. IS IT JUNE YET??
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Quote from: Cotton on April 03, 2014, 05:07:14 am

5. Crowd - reports were the crowd was 70-30 Hispanic. Couldn't really tell watching on IPad, but there was an obvious volume difference when the Mexican supporters yelled.

Good summary.  Btw, that's still better than it normally is.  I've seen the U.S. play Mexico at the Cotton Bowl and in Houston at Reliant and it was about 90% Mexican then.  And Phoenix has just as many Mexicans.

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 03, 2014, 10:28:54 am
Meanwhile, FIFA looks even more idiotic for putting this WC in Brazil.  Now looking increasingly possible that two stadiums won't be ready for play. 

They interviewed Bradley and at the end they told him "be sure and take your malaria pills".  He kind of frowned like it took him off guard and didn't answer the question.  Bob Ley tried to smooth it over when they went back to him and said, "of course he's referring to the fact that the U.S. may be playing in Manaus".

I've been to Manaus, that's where we landed for a medical missions trip I went on that was on the Amazon.  So I guess it's a lot further from the main venue than was originally expected.

JayBell

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2014, 12:17:47 amGot the draw. Best 1st half we've seen in a while, 2nd half was wide open and had a lot of the sloppiness we're used to with missed assignments. Green looked nervous and struggled, but that could be expected.  Still trying out a lot of guys, and we used Ramondo in goal, so not going to overanalyze it too much. And like I said we had a good 3rd goal disallowed and a questionable no call penalty right around the box late. Should have been a win!

The first half was definitely one of the best halves of Klinsmann's tenure.  A half isn't good enough, but subs and stuff always change a game in the second half.

Part of why the first half was so superb was the use of a diamond formation in the midfield with Bradley at the point.  Beckerman was at the back of the diamond, which is where is deployed in the system at RSL.  In that system, Beckerman can provide cover for the backline, despite his lack of top flight athleticism.  He also provides an efficient outlet for the defenders and spreads the ball around effectively.  He and Bradley combined for a 94% passing accuracy in the game.

The diamond frees up Bradley to boss the midfield and break up the opponents' passing further up the field.  Jermaine Jones may be the best pure CM behind Bradley, but he's also the worst at getting in Bradley's way.  The US has looked so good at times without Jones because guys like Beckerman, Edu, Cameron, etc. just stay the hell out of Bradley's way.

Klinsmann said the 4-4-2 with the diamond is in the US's arsenal, but it likely will not be the team's main formation at any point.  I think you'll see Jones start against both Ghana and Germany.  His athleticism will come in handy against Ghana and I think he'll be hyper-motivated against Germany.  Klinsmann could go with the diamond and Beckerman against Portugal, which could very well be why he tried it out last night.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on April 03, 2014, 12:27:33 am
I agree, we should have won, Eddie deserved that goal.
Quote from: Cotton on April 03, 2014, 05:07:14 am2. Eddie was robbed. Go search twitter for the pictures, he was in a direct line and timed it perfect.

As an SI editor/referee pointed out last night, an attacking player can "lean" offside.  It's not just about the feet.  Any part of the body that can play the ball can make a player offside.  Only the arms are not used to determine whether they are offside or not.  Johnson was definitely leaning, so it's hard to tell.

That said, when it's close, aren't we always told that you give the advantage to the attacking player?  I think it was too close for the assistant referee to make that call.

On the Eddie Johnson goal which we were robbed of, Bradley did just that - he came flying out of nowhere and just took the ball, was able to spin around and quickly passed it to Dempsey who made a perfect pass to Johnson.

So frustrating, but that's soccer..

JayBell

Quote from: Cotton on April 03, 2014, 05:07:14 am
1. Defense not on the same page, but Howard being there will help organization a bit. Have to remember these guys haven't been playing together much lately, they'll be spending a lot more time together next month so communication should improve on all fronts.

Howard will definitely help, but Gonzalez is having a rough go of it lately.  He's probably playing his way off of the starting XI.  We'll see Goodson in some matches leading up to the World Cup as well.  Still, it will be interesting to see how Gonalez plays when he has time to work with Howard, Besler and Cameron in camp.

Everyone wants to move Cameron from RB, but I think he is in great form at RB and more valuable there than at CB.  The only other option is to start Fabian at RB.  I think Klinsmann would be wise to save that as a backup option.

Quote from: Cotton on April 03, 2014, 05:07:14 am4. Julian Green. Kid has a lot of potential! But a really long way to go. Commentators compared him to a young Donovan back in 2000. Has flashes of brilliance, and a natural instinct for the game, just needs experience. Idk if he'll make a spot or not, personally I hope he does, even if we don't see him. He is our best future prospect at this point.
Definitely.  You bring him into the pre-World Cup camp just in case and see how he responds with a few more games.  I know a lot of folks don't like Shea, but he and Green offer a fast, dynamic, attacking option off the bench that no one else offers.

Neither deserves to make the roster based on pure merit, but that's not how Klinsmann will build his roster.  I wouldn't be shocked to see either of them make it nor to see neither of them make it.  I would be shocked - and a lot of others would be pissed - to see both make the roster.

Quote from: Cotton on April 03, 2014, 05:07:14 am6. What a first half! That showing gives me all the hope and confidence in the world that we can play with anybody when we play our best.
That belief has been what Klinsmann's tenure has been all about.  I've warmed up to the US's prospects in the group stage, but you're still talking about a Group of bloody, gory deathly Death.

If Klinsmann makes the right decisions, there's no reason the US couldn't beat Ghana and/or Portugal.  Getting a draw, especially if the US needs one to advance, isn't out of the question against Germany either.

Quote from: JayBell on April 03, 2014, 12:13:24 pm
As an SI editor/referee pointed out last night, an attacking player can "lean" offside.  It's not just about the feet.  Any part of the body that can play the ball can make a player offside.  Only the arms are not used to determine whether they are offside or not.  Johnson was definitely leaning, so it's hard to tell.

That said, when it's close, aren't we always told that you give the advantage to the attacking player?  I think it was too close for the assistant referee to make that call.

Yeah, he was leaning, but I thought the lean put him even.

The foul on Green just outside the box was clearly a foul - not even close - which tells me the ref just didn't want to blow the whistle toward the end.

Even more evidence was the make up call(a little further outside the box than the one he missed) in injury time, which I thought was questionable.  It was very interesting, the camera didn't catch this, but the announcer(can't remember which one) said Donovan and Dempsey were jawing at each other as to who would take it.  Dempsey won.  Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I guess I like the "passing of the torch" - on the other hand, I would have preferred Donovan take it and Dempsey be in the box, giving Landon the option of crossing it(Eddie Johnson, Dempsey, Bradley even Goodson are deadly on a set piece like that) or putting it on goal.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on April 03, 2014, 01:20:46 pmI guess I like the "passing of the torch" - on the other hand, I would have preferred Donovan take it and Dempsey be in the box, giving Landon the option of crossing it(Eddie Johnson, Dempsey, Bradley even Goodson are deadly on a set piece like that) or putting it on goal.

I think Bradley would be the smarter choice to be taking all of the set pieces right now.  I think the team would be better served having Dempsey in the box as a target and Donovan as an option for any set play they want to run.  Plus, Bradley is just better in dead ball situations now.

It's definitely a weird situation right now with Dempsey and Donovan.  I think they are clearly still two of the best US players, but their form with the US is nothing special.  Dempsey has rarely been at his best in the last 8 months, but he's still asserting himself.  Donovan is a better creator, but he's being less assertive than he was 4 years ago.

Quote from: JayBell on April 03, 2014, 04:16:26 pm
I think Bradley would be the smarter choice to be taking all of the set pieces right now.  I think the team would be better served having Dempsey in the box as a target and Donovan as an option for any set play they want to run.  Plus, Bradley is just better in dead ball situations now.

It's definitely a weird situation right now with Dempsey and Donovan.  I think they are clearly still two of the best US players, but their form with the US is nothing special.  Dempsey has rarely been at his best in the last 8 months, but he's still asserting himself.  Donovan is a better creator, but he's being less assertive than he was 4 years ago.

Yeah, I think Dempsey is kind of relying on his past success in Europe a little too much and he may not be putting forth the effort.  I hope he's not injured, he was on the ground a lot and getting up limping at times last night.

Donovan I think is trying his best.  He almost broke free a few times when he got in last night.  He may just be on the decline.  I hope not.

Hogsooey

I was about to watch the Sunderland match today, only to see that Altidore didn't even make the bench. He is playing today for Sunderland's U21
- no report of injury or anything like that as the reason. Ouch. Hopefully, he'll have a huge chip on his shoulder rather than very low confidence at the WC after this disastrous spell at Sunderland.

Cotton

Quote from: Hogsooey on April 07, 2014, 01:41:11 pm
I was about to watch the Sunderland match today, only to see that Altidore didn't even make the bench. He is playing today for Sunderland's U21
- no report of injury or anything like that as the reason. Ouch. Hopefully, he'll have a huge chip on his shoulder rather than very low confidence at the WC after this disastrous spell at Sunderland.
I saw that as well. He's had a rough time and been playing uninspired. Seems a little burnt out honestly, I'm hoping the WC rekindles that flame, he knocks in 1 goal and gets back on track playing with confidence and emotion again.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

yraciv

Quote from: Hogsooey on April 07, 2014, 01:41:11 pm

I think it is safe to say at this point Jozy is not in Sunderland's future plans, and it might be for the better with them likely being relegated.

JayBell

First off, I don't think it's a big deal that Jozy isn't playing for Sunderland.  They've got eight games left, but playing 30+ games for Sunderland this season has done virtually nothing for his form.  If anything, playing (bad) that many games for such a bad team has made him regress.

Everything about Sunderland is different from the USMNT.  I don't see any benefit of Jozy playing for Sunderland.  His role is different, the system is different and the support around him is far better with the US than at Sunderland.

I read a tweet where someone alluded to Jozy maybe being punished for criticizing Poyet's tactics.  I had not read that anywhere yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.  Jozy has not been close to his best, the team has been horrible and he is very visibly frustrated.  Jozy wears his emotion on his sleeve.

I'll be glad to see Sunderland relegated and for Jozy to go elsewhere.  I've talked to some Sunderland fans throughout the season and they are some of the most brash, low-class soccer fans I have encountered.

Jozy will be keeping his fitness at Sunderland, we're only 5 weeks away from the World Cup camp and then he'll have three warm up matches to get ready.  Obviously you would prefer Jozy to be scoring 15 goals in the EPL and be in great form.  But all things considered, I don't see how Jozy sitting hurts him at this point in time.

HometownHawg

Well an already tough road for Green to make this cycles team just got harder. He injured his shoulder during the Mexico game and might be out an extended time.

Good to see Clint playing well.

Is he our captain going into the WC, or is it Donovan or Howard?

JayBell

Quote from: arkjay19 on January 17, 2014, 10:08:05 amMy 19 locks right now are Howard, Guzan, Rimando, Cherundolo, Cameron, Besler, Gonzalez, Goodson, Beasley, Fabian, Bradley, Jones, Donovan, Zusi, Bedoya, Dempsey, Altidore, Johannsson and EJ.  That leaves just 4 other spots.  I'm thinking 1 more def, at least 1 more CM and 1 more attacker.
My guess is Shea, Brooks, Beckerman and Diskerud make the final 4 spots.  Of course at least one or two major injuries is likely to shake up the order of things.

Only two changes I would make at this point.  I think there's still 19 locks, but with Cherundolo's retirement and EJ's poor form, they're not locks anymore.  Just replace them with Beckerman and Diskerud.

Right now, I think Wondolowski has the inside track to be the third forward.  It's going to be interesting to see how many go out of him, EJ, Agudelo and Boyd.  Both Agudelo and Boyd are having good seasons in Europe.  Brooks still has the best chance at fourth CB if Cameron stays at right back.  I could definitely see a situation where Klinsmann takes just seven defenders and three fullbacks because of the dearth of options, but it's likely that Yedlin, Parkhurst or Evans have that No. 23 spot.  Edu has thrown his name back into the fray.  So has Danny Williams at Reading, but I think Edu has the edge on him because of his experience at centerback.

Shea had the inside track on everyone until he flipped off fans at Barnsley.  With his lack of playing time at Stoke City, he may be losing that place to someone like Agudelo or Boyd.

My prediction is that Wondolowski and Agudelo both make the roster.  I think the competition for the other two spots is down to Edu/Brooks and Yedlin/Evans/Parkhurst.

JayBell

Soccer commercials are already the best in sports, but Nike and others really go all out for the World Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

Quote from: JayBell on April 26, 2014, 10:37:28 am
Soccer commercials are already the best in sports, but Nike and others really go all out for the World Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XviR7esUvo

Awesome.  I love the one Adidas one from 2006 that had the Jim Noir song "Eany Meanie"  The kids telling the players what to do is hilarious:

Also the Nike one with the Brazilians in the airport in '98 was great:

JayBell

Over the last few years I have started to work more and more and watch less and less soccer.  A few days ago, I just thought, "I am not mentally prepared for this World Cup."

My entire soccer fandom built up to the 2010 World Cup.  I could barely breathe in the first half against England.  I haven't been nearly as engaged and interested in this cycle.  The Real/Bayern match was the first live Champions League match I have watched in ages.

I'm hoping the Final and the US's World Cup prep matches will get me ready.

Rooka

Not long now fellas, June 12th will be here before you know it...

Any other teams other than the United States National team that you will be pulling for?

I always have pulled for Brazil and would love to see them win the cup in their own backyard, that is if our Yanks can't pull off the epic upset of all time.  Joined the American Outlaws a couple weeks ago, got the shirt in, and am PUMPED.

HometownHawg

Quote from: Rooka on May 01, 2014, 12:14:05 pm

Any other teams other than the United States National team that you will be pulling for?

I always have pulled for Brazil and would love to see them win the cup in their own backyard, that is if our Yanks can't pull off the epic upset of all time.  Joined the American Outlaws a couple weeks ago, got the shirt in, and am PUMPED.
For some reason I am intrigued by Belgium and their players. They seem to have a large amount of very gifted players but can't seem to take advantage of it.

Quote from: Rooka on May 01, 2014, 12:14:05 pm

I've always liked Germany and The Netherlands.  Germany's team is always like a well-oiled machine, they use the whole field and are loaded with talent.  They really fit that stereotype of the stoic and organized German.  They have a formula and stick to it and don't let their emotions get in the way.  They have great names like Beckenbauer, Oliver Kahn and more recently Schweinesteiger.

The Netherlands are always lightning speed fast, and run a fast-break counter attack.  They are always fun to watch.

HometownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on May 01, 2014, 06:39:16 pm
I've always liked Germany and The Netherlands.  Germany's team is always like a well-oiled machine, they use the whole field and are loaded with talent.  They really fit that stereotype of the stoic and organized German.  They have a formula and stick to it and don't let their emotions get in the way.  They have great names like Beckenbauer, Oliver Kahn and more recently Schweinesteiger.

The Netherlands are always lightning speed fast, and run a fast-break counter attack.  They are always fun to watch.
I was surprised when I saw that their new manager has excluded Robben from the roster.

Quote from: HometownHawg on May 01, 2014, 07:03:51 pm
I was surprised when I saw that their new manager has excluded Robben from the roster.

Didn't know that - would be a shame

HometownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on May 01, 2014, 07:52:36 pm
Didn't know that - would be a shame
Oops misspoke after looking it up it seems the new manager hasn't used him as much as would be expected and people feared he might be dropped from the 23.

That's what I get for trying to remember things off the top of my head.

JayBell

I'm hoping for a better performance from the African sides.  They choked with home continent advantage in 2010.  The same five qualifiers (SA didn't have to qualify as host) are back again.  I'd love to see Cameroon and/or Croatia beat Mexico.  You'd also hope for more out of the golden generations for the Ivory Coast, Nigeria and Algeria.

I respect the hell out of Ghana, but I'm so tired of seeing the US to lose to them.

JayBell

This really should be an outstanding tournament.  It might be the most stacked World Cup ever.  Usually there are a handful of weak qualifiers and then somehow two or three of them end up in the same group(s).

The weakest teams in this year's tournament are Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran and Algeria. The "weakest" qualifier from Europe is Greece.  None of those five teams are in the same group.

So despite there not being any one or two noticeably weaker groups, the field still ended up with two absolutely stacked groups.  Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia.  Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, US.

Pretty much every game is going to be outstanding, even more than usual.

Quote from: JayBell on May 02, 2014, 04:30:36 pm
This really should be an outstanding tournament.  It might be the most stacked World Cup ever.  Usually there are a handful of weak qualifiers and then somehow two or three of them end up in the same group(s).

The weakest teams in this year's tournament are Costa Rica, Honduras, Iran and Algeria. The "weakest" qualifier from Europe is Greece.  None of those five teams are in the same group.

So despite there not being any one or two noticeably weaker groups, the field still ended up with two absolutely stacked groups.  Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia.  Group G: Germany, Portugal, Ghana, US.

Pretty much every game is going to be outstanding, even more than usual.

I'm really interested to see who makes the Brazilian team.  This has to be the most important world cup for them since '94.  They will leave some guys off the roster that would start for most of the other teams.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on May 03, 2014, 12:57:31 pmI'm really interested to see who makes the Brazilian team.  This has to be the most important world cup for them since '94.  They will leave some guys off the roster that would start for most of the other teams.

Definitely.  The fun conversation is always, "How good would a second Brazilian team be?"  Similar conversations can be had for the German, Spanish and Argentine national teams, but no one produces the sheer volume of world class players that Brazil does.

Brazil absolutely dominated the Confederations Cup, including the final against Spain.  It will be interesting to see if anyone can match the intensity of the Seleção this summer.  No one came even close last year.

JayBell

I think Tim Ream has made a strong push to make the World Cup roster.  He was voted Player of the Year at Bolton and could provide a like-for-like backup to Besler.  Ream could also be an emergency left back if something happens to both Beasley and Fabian Johnson.

Ream could be the sixth or seventh defender on the roster with Edu providing extra cover.

JayBell

The 30 players for the preliminary World Cup roster will be announced next Monday.  That should be a lot easier to predict than the final 23.  You're likely looking at:

GK: Howard, Guzan, Rimando.
DEF: Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Evans, Gonzalez, Goodson, Johnson, Parkhurst, Ream.
MID: Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud, Donovan, Edu, Green, Jones, Shea, Zusi.
FOR: Agudelo, Altidore, Boyd, Dempsey, Johannsson, Wondolowski.

I think Brad Davis, Sacha Kljestan, Danny Williams, Eddie Johnson, DeAndre Yedlin and possibly a fourth GK are all in contention for the last two spots.

HometownHawg

Would anyone be upset if Gideon Zelalem was pick for the 30? Could be the reason for his dad pushing to get his citizenship.

I know he is only 17 but inviting him to the 30 would help us greatly when he has to choose between us and Germany.

JayBell

Quote from: HometownHawg on May 08, 2014, 04:21:47 pmWould anyone be upset if Gideon Zelalem was pick for the 30? Could be the reason for his dad pushing to get his citizenship.

I know he is only 17 but inviting him to the 30 would help us greatly when he has to choose between us and Germany.

The fact that he is pushing for citizenship signals to me that he has already made his choice (which really surprised me).  I don't think inviting Zelalem would be beneficial at this juncture.  Any midfielders and forwards invited to the preliminary camp are not just competing for a roster spot.  They're competing for playing time at the World Cup.

The only members of the 23 that won't play in Brazil will be the backup goalkeepers (if Howard stays healthy) and the last defenders.  The only midfielders that may not play would be someone like Williams or Edu who also provide defensive cover.

If Julian Green or Brek Shea make the roster, they'll play.  If Wondolowski and/or Agudelo make the roster, they'll play.  I don't see a scenario where Zelalem adds to the training camp or the World Cup roster.

ESPN is doing a new "Inside" series, and starting Tues. night they are airing 6 episodes different nights through June 11th:  "Inside: U.S. Soccer's March to Brazil".

Rooka

Klinsmann annouces his 30-player preliminary roster...

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (11) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Michael Parkhurst (Columbus Crew), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)

MIDFIELDERS (10) : Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia Union), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

No Eddie Johnson, No Kljestan. John Anthoney Brooks, Julian Green, and Aron Johannsson all there.

JayBell

Quote from: Rooka on May 13, 2014, 07:20:42 amNo Eddie Johnson, No Kljestan. John Anthoney Brooks, Julian Green, and Aron Johannsson all there.

Everybody has been harping on the omission of EJ since yesterday, but I don't know why it's such a big deal.  Out of US strikers, EJ is at best the sixth best right now behind Dempsey, Johannsson, Boyd, Agudelo and Wondolowski.  That doesn't count Donovan or Altidore, who are both locks.

The biggest omission to me was Swagudelo.  Swag could play out left just as EJ has during his national team renaissance under Klinsmann.  He's playing well in his first season overseas with Utrecht.  I guess the final forward spot came down to him and Boyd, and Boyd's fantastic form over the last two months earned him a spot.

Corona was the weirdest roster inclusion to me.  Klinsmann is bringing in Davis and Diskerud to see if they can fit on the roster.  There seems to be five guys competing to see who will be the starter and backup at right back, but where does Corona fit?  The only position that may suit him is Dempsey's position.  And you have to think is Dempsey goes down, then Donovan would step into the hole or Klinsmann would go with two forwards up top.

JayBell

The thing to watch between now and the announcement of the final 23 is the battle at right back.  Geoff Cameron is by far and away the best right back right now for the US.  He's been healthy and in form all season.  Unfortunately, Cameron is also one of the US's two best centerbacks.  Klinsmann's decision on where to deploy Cameron affects the entire roster.

If Cameron starts at right back, then you may see four other true centerbacks and as few as just one backup fullback (Fabian).  If Cameron is moved to the center, that opens up a lot more opportunities for Evans, Parkhurst and Yedlin.  The number of defenders Klinsmann chooses for the roster will affect how many midfielders and/or forwards he can take.

I argued with folks on Twitter for a while on Monday, but I just don't see how Evans and Parkhurst could be on the plane to Brazil.  Remember, with the teams the US is playing, the fullbacks will be matched up with attackers like Cristiano Ronaldo, Asamoah Gyan and Marco Reus.  All of the US fullbacks are equally outmatched, so I think speed should be the determining factor.  If you take anyone other than Cameron, Fabian and Run DMB, I'd put my money on Yedlin.  The Seattle youngster also fits Klinsmann's system far better than the other two.

Interesting comments from Klinsman about choosing Dempsey as the captain in the special on ESPN.  He says Demspey is a really nice guy off the field, but on the field is too selfish and all about himself.  Klinsman wanted to teach him to play more defense, learn to include his teammates yet keep his individuality and nose for the net.

The more I hear from Klinsman, the more I like.  Something special could be brewing...

And I think Beckerman deserves a shot.  He's fearless, unselfish and will do anything to win.

Landon Donovan did not make the roster for the World Cup.

Don't like this decision and I'm not sure if it's a personal thing, or if Klinsmann really believes the others were "ahead" of him.  Klinsmann called it the toughest decision of his career and said Landon handled it professionally and with class.

However, shortly after the news, Klinsmann's own son tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/soccerinsider/status/469600249800327168

I'm starting to get the same feeling I got when captain John Harkes was left off the team, and we had a disastrous World Cup.  We found out many years later that Sampson had to do that because Harkes had an affair with Wynalda's wife. 

We need EXPERIENCE in the World Cup, more than youthful talent.

JayBell

There's several prevalent theories going around. All of them are dumb and none have anything to do with Donovan's ability on the field.

One theory is that Klinsmann is testing the young guys at this World Cup to prepare them for the next one.  That entire concept is un-American and even more outside of the US Soccer mentality.

A lot folks are trying to rationalize it by saying the US basically had no chance anyway being in the Group of the Death.  Again, that approach just isn't US Soccer.  USMNT fans would have tolerated going 0-3 with Donovan on the roster.  Other disagree with me, but I think going 0-3 without Donovan puts Klinsmann's job in jeopardy.

The other theory, my theory, is that Klinsmann never liked the attention Donovan got.  He viewed it as a detriment to the team as a whole despite historic results that point to the contrary.  Klinsmann called Donovan a "sacred cow" for the way fans and media treat him.  Cutting him from the World Cup roster does nothing to stop that.

JayBell

Quote from: Notshavin on May 22, 2014, 07:41:34 pmLandon Donovan did not make the roster for the World Cup.

Don't like this decision and I'm not sure if it's a personal thing, or if Klinsmann really believes the others were "ahead" of him.  Klinsmann called it the toughest decision of his career and said Landon handled it professionally and with class.

However, shortly after the news, Klinsmann's own son tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/soccerinsider/status/469600249800327168

I'm starting to get the same feeling I got when captain John Harkes was left off the team, and we had a disastrous World Cup.  We found out many years later that Sampson had to do that because Harkes had an affair with Wynalda's wife. 

We need EXPERIENCE in the World Cup, more than youthful talent.

Klinsmann can rationalize it all he wants, but it was a bull$**t move.  Despite no evidence to the contrary, he seems to feel that the attention Donovan gets is not good for the team and that Donovan may not give his best effort in Brazil.

Klinsmann's son being a monumental jack@$$ on Twitter and having to delete his account didn't help the situation.  IMO, baby Klinsmann's thoughts said a lot about Juergen's thoughts on Donovan, which have nothing to do with his playing ability.