Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New to hunting... help!

Started by Willyboy, November 12, 2013, 02:01:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Willyboy

I got a Ruger 10/22 as a christmas gift last year and I'm hoping to do some squirrel hunting with it this winter.  I have no clue how to go about getting a license.  What all will I need to squirrel hunt safely?

hogcoots

I don't know your age, but if you are new to hunting, I would suggest that you start by taking a hunter safety course. I have not lived in Arkansas for many years so I am not up to speed on their requirements, but many States require completion of a hunter safety/education course prior to obtaining a hunting license dependent upon your date of birth.  Regardless of your age, it is a good starting point to learn hunter and gun safety.  Contact your State's Game and Fish Department or Department of Natural Resources or get on the web and search for your State's requirements.

Hawgon

I think if you were born later than 1969 or so, you will need to take the Hunter's Safety Course before you can get a license.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hawgon on November 12, 2013, 08:06:57 am
I think if you were born later than 1969 or so, you will need to take the Hunter's Safety Course before you can get a license.
Correct, this is the case in Arkansas.

Willyboy

I'm 23.  So I should just call the AGFC?  Do I have to go somewhere for the safety course or is there an online version?  I figure I could probably get this information online but I've done a lot of lurking in here for bass fishing and such and I value all of the experience in here.

hogcoots

1highhog

November 12, 2013, 04:09:40 pm #6 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:19:46 pm by 1highhog
Have you done much shooting as far as shooting with different types of firearms?  Or have you just been target practicing with the 22. Ruger?  If you've not had much experience with shooting, I'd suggest you to go hunting with a friend that's been hunting for awhile and can show you the ropes when it comes to properly using a rifle when hunting squirrel.  A 10/22 Ruger is a fine rifle, I have several, and they are great for squirrel hunting, but always be aware of your surroundings and who else might be hunting not far from you, what goes up, must come down.  I've been in the woods before with someone around me shooting a 22 with reckless abandon and with bullets raining down on me I had to dive down to the ground and place my d**k in the dirt.  Usually, with a well placed shot, I prefer a head shot, that's all that's needed for a squirrel.  If you're not quite comfortable yet in your shot placement, I recommend using a .410 or 20 gauge shotgun which gives you a far better % of killing the squirrel with your first shot.

Good luck in whatever your choice may be.  Squirrel hunting, rabbit hunting and coon hunting were and still are some of my favorite types of hunting.  Hunting coon at night is a passion and I started hunting at a very young age with my Dad and my two brothers.  We hunted with carbide lamps, we still have them, two years ago we took my Dad on a coon hunt just us 4 as kind of and honor to him, we used our carbide lamps, it was a fun event and our a Dad enjoyed it very much, he's now 81 and doesn't hunt anymore, but he taught of everything, and it was an honor to take him on this hunt.

Hawgon

I am going squirrel hunting this year.  I haven't been seriously in years.  It was my favorite type of hunting when I was a kid and when I was a teenager, I went practically every day after school before the time would change and every weekend.  I was quite the squirrel hunter and could really kill the little buggers.

But with deer season opening so early if you bow hunt, well, I haven't been in years because I am deer hunting so early now.  Well, this year, I'm going to kill some squirrels.  I always liked hunting them late in the year when they were on the ground and I could snipe them with a .22 best anyway.  This year, I will duck hunt early and then hit the squirrels.

1highhog

Quote from: Hawgon on November 12, 2013, 04:27:17 pm
I am going squirrel hunting this year.  I haven't been seriously in years.  It was my favorite type of hunting when I was a kid and when I was a teenager, I went practically every day after school before the time would change and every weekend.  I was quite the squirrel hunter and could really kill the little buggers.

But with deer season opening so early if you bow hunt, well, I haven't been in years because I am deer hunting so early now.  Well, this year, I'm going to kill some squirrels.  I always liked hunting them late in the year when they were on the ground and I could snipe them with a .22 best anyway.  This year, I will duck hunt early and then hit the squirrels.

That was the fun part of using a 22 cal. with shorts, you could just find you a good nest, where usually there would be two or three nearby, and sit next to a tree and wait.  You could sit there and plink squirrel after squirrel and never have to move from place to place, sometimes in less than 30 minutes you'd have your "limit" and be heading back to the house.  Before school in the morning we would run our rabbit gums, we were surrounded by woods since we lived so far out, so we'd make our run, most of the time we would average 1-3 rabbits, bring them back home, give them to Mom, catch our bus for school, and then come home for squirrel hunting, or deer hunting, or if neither was in season, we'd hit the ponds around for some fishing.  We always had plenty of meat to eat and potatoes throughout the year, what good times.

Willyboy

I have a little experience with a few other guns and I have been squirrel hunting once before.  It's pretty hard to avoid shooting up in the air when squirrel hunting, right? I would rather not use a shotgun, I don't want it to be too easy.

1highhog

Quote from: Willyboy on November 12, 2013, 04:46:24 pm
I have a little experience with a few other guns and I have been squirrel hunting once before.  It's pretty hard to avoid shooting up in the air when squirrel hunting, right? I would rather not use a shotgun, I don't want it to be too easy.

I didn't mean it as if you shouldn't shoot up in the air, I was kind of politely ascertaining how much you had shot your rifle and if you'd ever been squirrel hunting with someone before.  I was just giving you and example of what not to do as someone had done to me and the hunters I was with before.  I love hunting with a 22 rifle, when I do, I usually stake out a spot that has multiple nests, and within a short time just sitting there still I can plink my limit quick without ever having to move.  But the person I was referencing was shooting up in the air, evidently at a running squirrel, and never getting close and just spraying bullets, not the way to hunt when using a rifle.

I'm sure you will do very well, there's been several very informative posters on here, and it seems as though you will be a conscientious hunter.  Once again, good luck man.

OTTER

I had a hunting partner once who used the ole "spray and pray" method.  I got his attention by yelling "incoming" and hitting the dirt.  Like you said, you can get as close to the ground as possible, but that ain't a good feeling.  He got the message and became a pretty good partner after that.  It is humorous now, not so much back then.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Willyboy on November 12, 2013, 02:01:29 am

I got a Ruger 10/22 as a christmas gift last year and I'm hoping to do some squirrel hunting with it this winter.  I have no clue how to go about getting a license.  What all will I need to squirrel hunt safely?

Well, the hardest thing to find that you will need......could be .22 ammo.  It's out there, but usually not the easiest thing to find.  Hope you have already got a supply, if not I would start looking asap.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.