Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-time NBA West vs. East who would you like to see?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, April 18, 2014, 09:19:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

I am always surprised to see people list Bill Russell at center ahead of Chamberlain.  One on one, Wilt DOMINATED Russell.  Holy Toledo, he averaged 29 points and 29 rebounds per game for his career against the magnificent, all-time defender Russell.  He scored 50 or more in Russell's face seven times, with a high game of 62.

He also set the NBA record for rebounds in a game with 55...against Bill Russell.

It's not Wilt's fault that Russell had Cousy, Havlicek, Heinsohn, Frank Ramsey, Bill Sharman, the Jones boys, and so forth on his team for most of his career.

The 1957-58 and 1962-63 Celtics teams put EIGHT Hall of Famers on the court.  EIGHT.

Russell was a great player playing on STACKED teams.  He was also a leading figure in the Civil Rights movement and a darling of the media.  Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people who don't know a great deal about the respective careers of Russell and Wilt have drunk the "11 rings" Kool-Aid and automatically spout the "Wilt put up stats, but Russell was a winner" mantra.

Wilt was a winner, too.  When he had outstanding talent around him...as in 1966-67 with the Sixers and in the early 70s with the Lakers...he anchored NBA title teams that set all-time records for best regular season record (68-13, Sixers) and longest winning streak (33 games, 1971-72 Lakers).

In 1966-67, Chamberlain and the Sixers beat Russell and the Celtics 4-1 in the Eastern Conference finals.  Wilt put up a quadruple double in game one...24 points, 32 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocked shots...and set the NBA playoff record with 41 rebounds in game three.

In the series clinching, 140-116 blowout in game five, Chamberlain scored 29 points, grabbed 36 rebounds, and dished out 13 assists.

For the series Chamberlain AVERAGED 32 rebounds per game.

Russell?  He averaged 11 points for the series.

Funny how things were different when Chamberlain got a couple of Hall of Famers on his team, too.

hvsupastar

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 21, 2014, 11:06:50 am
I am always surprised to see people list Bill Russell at center ahead of Chamberlain.  One on one, Wilt DOMINATED Russell.  Holy Toledo, he averaged 29 points and 29 rebounds per game for his career against the magnificent, all-time defender Russell.  He scored 50 or more in Russell's face seven times, with a high game of 62.

He also set the NBA record for rebounds in a game with 55...against Bill Russell.

It's not Wilt's fault that Russell had Cousy, Havlicek, Heinsohn, Frank Ramsey, Bill Sharman, the Jones boys, and so forth on his team for most of his career.

The 1957-58 and 1962-63 Celtics teams put EIGHT Hall of Famers on the court.  EIGHT.

Russell was a great player playing on STACKED teams.  He was also a leading figure in the Civil Rights movement and a darling of the media.  Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people who don't know a great deal about the respective careers of Russell and Wilt have drunk the "11 rings" Kool-Aid and automatically spout the "Wilt put up stats, but Russell was a winner" mantra.

Wilt was a winner, too.  When he had outstanding talent around him...as in 1966-67 with the Sixers and in the early 70s with the Lakers...he anchored NBA title teams that set all-time records for best regular season record (68-13, Sixers) and longest winning streak (33 games, 1971-72 Lakers).

In 1966-67, Chamberlain and the Sixers beat Russell and the Celtics 4-1 in the Eastern Conference finals.  Wilt put up a quadruple double in game one...24 points, 32 rebounds, 13 assists, and 12 blocked shots...and set the NBA playoff record with 41 rebounds in game three.

In the series clinching, 140-116 blowout in game five, Chamberlain scored 29 points, grabbed 36 rebounds, and dished out 13 assists.

Funny how things were different when Chamberlain got a couple of Hall of Famers on his team, too.

Good info.... +1
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

yraciv

Nailed it!  I'm going to take it a step farther and say due to the Celtics greatness, and his huge rebound numbers, Bill Russell is overrated.  He only shot 44% from the field for his career, and was one of the tallest players in the league.  He certainly wouldn't be a C in today's game.   The rebounding numbers are hugely inflated due to more scoring possessions, and lower shooting percentages.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Changed my list.  Good stuff.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hawg Red

East
Bill Russell
Larry Bird
LeBron James
Michael Jordan
Oscar Robertson

6th Man: Scottie Pippen

West
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant
Elgin Baylor
Magic Johnson

6th Man: Jerry West

I chose to lean more towards versatility and overall skill and less towards dominating physicality (LeBron fits both).