Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bad morning in the woods this morning is putting a damper on the remaining season

Started by Albert Einswine, October 28, 2013, 05:51:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

Went out this morning to my primary stand and it was gone, then went to stands 2 through 4.  All 4 lock ons gone, cable locks cut in two, safety restraints gone, climbing sticks gone.

They were all good stands, all oversized and hanging above 20 foot sticks, my newest one was an API Baby Grand aluminum model I just bought last season, great stand.

All in all I figure it was at least a $700 dollar loss for what I had in it all. And now I'm reluctant to take anything else back out there. Guess I'll be packing the old Loggy in and out the rest of the year.

This is my 4th season hunting this property and never had a single problem there til today, or last night I should say. Makes me sick.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

cypert2

Swinging on the two and the four.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: cypert2 on October 28, 2013, 07:42:05 pm
Man that is pathetic. I hate a thief. We're you on public land?

Nope, strictly private at the end of a dead end road, but if they went in by that road they had to drive through a group of houses up on the main county road. If I see any of those folks outside I'll inquire if they noticed any night traffic going back there.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

tophawg19

might be worth installing a camera . sounds like they knew you well enough to know stand placement unless you marked out yours .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Albert Einswine

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 28, 2013, 07:58:22 pm
might be worth installing a camera . sounds like they knew you well enough to know stand placement unless you marked out yours .

Nope, nothing marked, but I can walk into any woods and stands stick out to me like a sore thumb so I imagine any hunter who's also a scumbag has the same ability to spot stands.

tophawg19

Albert Einswine

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 28, 2013, 08:05:07 pm
in the dark ? they may have scouted you earlier though .

Oh, there's no doubt about that. They knew exactly where they were. There's been a lot of 4 wheeler activity in the area this season on both sides of the creek. Based on tracks I can be pretty sure they used 4 wheelers to do the job.

tophawg19

had to . hard to haul that much goodies out otherwise . might be time for spike sticks in the trails

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 28, 2013, 05:51:02 pm

Went out this morning to my primary stand and it was gone, then went to stands 2 through 4.  All 4 lock ons gone, cable locks cut in two, safety restraints gone, climbing sticks gone.

They were all good stands, all oversized and hanging above 20 foot sticks, my newest one was an API Baby Grand aluminum model I just bought last season, great stand.

All in all I figure it was at least a $700 dollar loss for what I had in it all. And now I'm reluctant to take anything else back out there. Guess I'll be packing the old Loggy in and out the rest of the year.

This is my 4th season hunting this property and never had a single problem there til today, or last night I should say. Makes me sick.

Sorry to hear this Albert.  Not much worse than a thief that steals hunting equipment.  Hope whoever stole them......falls out at about 20ft. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

HuntinHog

That sucks man.

Cool story alert:

Caused a similar situation several years ago, but it worked out.  Had a cousin buy some hunting property and we went out and found several lock ons and feeders, figured the prior owner just left them out there so we brought them back in to the shop.

Fast forward a few weeks and this guy on a fourwheeler interupts a hunt one morning mad as hell at us for being there and moving his stuff.  We finally figured out what happened.  He had had permission to hunt there from the prior owner and the prior owner had forgotten to tell him he sold the place.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 28, 2013, 07:58:22 pm
don't want to lose the camera also!

PP

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Surely there is some sign around that would give an indication who the culprits might be.  If they used a four wheeler, there should be some sign.  If so, could it be that the thieves are nearby locals?   
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on October 29, 2013, 08:42:56 am
Surely there is some sign around that would give an indication who the culprits might be.  If they used a four wheeler, there should be some sign.  If so, could it be that the thieves are nearby locals?   

Oh, I know they're probably locals. Was out a couple of weeks ago and two 4 wheelers came in on the place but stopped and turned around when they got to where my truck was parked. They then proceeded to ride down a quad sized swath of the farmer's soybeans around the entire perimeter of his upper field. But they were gone by the time I got down from the stand and walked back up there.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorBassin

Man this type of stuff pisses me off.  It seems as if you can't have anything anymore without some thief trying to steal it.  I hope they all get what they deserve!

Pudgepork

sorta the same thing happened to my son.   He put up another stand and bought a game camera with internet capabilities.  The thief might steal the camera but it sends any pics taken to a site on the net before they get a chance to steal it.  Well, unless they spot the camera before the stand and sneak up and steal the camera first.   Well,  then you have to point a camera at the other camera pointed at the stand.  Well,  unless......forget it...thieves rule the world.........starting from the president down

SpareRib

If you put up a camera, put up a second one further back to observe the first.  Thieves typically don't look for a backup.

By the way, your experience really sucks.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Cubbie08

Rzbakfromwaybak

Might try putting a couple of camera's on the road or trail they are coming in & leaving the property on. They shouldn't see it if you can hide it well.  They probably won't be looking for a camera until they get closer to your stands.

twistitup

Bad deal. I have gotten a few stolen over the years, terrible feeling.  I would be scared to use a stolen stand - Karma is a bitch sometimes
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Albert Einswine

Yep, I hope the scumbags who stole 'em never see another deer. It would be great if stealing from another hunter put a curse on hunting for the thief.

There should be a lifetime ban on hunting for anyone caught stealing from another hunter.

twistitup

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 30, 2013, 06:41:41 am
Yep, I hope the scumbags who stole 'em never see another deer. It would be great if stealing from another hunter put a curse on hunting for the thief.

There should be a lifetime ban on hunting for anyone caught stealing from another hunter.

Ask the neighbors, they prob know who in the area is trouble. When I had one stolen 2 years back I told the neighboring farm and they pointed me in the right direction- a 17 yr old boy. I talked to his dad, he said he would ask his son.

Never heard from him again, but my stand was found at the base of the tree it was stolen out of a few days later.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

adave

Bummer Albert.

Maybe set a dummy stand up with strap-on-ladder not stick, that the top section is being held on by a thread.  When the sorry murf falls back from 16', it will probably be the last one he steals. But they may be using a harness to climb up. And you wouldn't want to hurt someone that was just trying to steal a couple hours of hunting from your stand. I hate a thief.

82abn Ard

Albert Einswine

Have some pretty good circumstantial evidence for a culprit/culprits. Gotta see if a sheriff's deputy is interested in looking into it.

HuntinHog

If you have a pretty good claim that it's them, small claims them and see what they do.

Albert Einswine

It's purely circumstantial, but all the 4 wheeler tracks in the bean fields and on the property come in and out from an adjoining property and lead to a house. hoping that will give a deputy enough cause to knock on the door and ask questions. I'm not interested in pursuing any charges if I can get my property back.

pigture perfect

I am willing to help hide bodies if you ever do catch the culprits. I've had stands stolen before. No fun.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

adave

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 31, 2013, 11:33:49 am
It's purely circumstantial, but all the 4 wheeler tracks in the bean fields and on the property come in and out from an adjoining property and lead to a house. hoping that will give a deputy enough cause to knock on the door and ask questions. I'm not interested in pursuing any charges if I can get my property back.

Beware of trash related deputies.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: adave on October 31, 2013, 03:06:35 pm
Beware of trash related deputies.

That's just something you can't ever account for and nothing you can do about it if they are related to county po-po.

adave

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 31, 2013, 06:40:05 pm

That's just something you can't ever account for and nothing you can do about it if they are related to county po-po.

I hear ya.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 31, 2013, 11:33:49 am

Yeah, sounds like you probably found the guilty party.  If the deputy turns out to be straight, see if he will tell the owner of the house that no charges will be filed if the stands are returned.  Bluff them, let it be known that you have some camera pics that will be used if necessary. That should at least make them nervous, give them something to think about. 

old hog

Should be banned from obtaining a hunting license. But, by the sound of it they probably don't go thru the trouble of obtaining a license in the first place.

HogScoutMaster

Hide in a stand at night and STALK these F'ers.... Blast em' and leave !! That will teach them.
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

Albert Einswine

Scott, I had thought about doing that if I wind up putting another stand up out there this season. A cheap camera off a reasonable but workable distance, up higher and aimed down at the stand. May do that, but kinda doubt the same crew would risk coming back after making such a large haul.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Randy Johnson

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 30, 2013, 06:41:41 am

this

Bowfishinghogfan

Don't you just love a thief. A well placed broadhead through the knee cap if a fair trade. Nothing worse than a thief but none worse than one stealing hunting equip.

ifghog

Have had it happen myself....it just really ruins your hunting season. You worked hard to build those places. It just really lets ya down.

BallHog1

Happened to me once to with a feeder, camera and a stand. Had a pretty good idea who did it and talked a deputy into asking around. He couldn't find the kid in question so he talked to one of the kid's buddies and told him to give him a message that it better all be in pile by a certain tree by the next Friday. Total bluff. It was there on Friday.

DeltaBoy

Albert Einswine

Nope, I guess I'm just gonna call it a loss and develop a stand security system that will revolutionize the industry and make me wealthy in the process. What is out there on the market clearly doesn't work.

Hawgon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 14, 2013, 12:41:56 pm
Nope, I guess I'm just gonna call it a loss and develop a stand security system that will revolutionize the industry and make me wealthy in the process. What is out there on the market clearly doesn't work.

I've found that if your dad is doing a little logging and accidentally cuts a tree down on your stand, that it is usually secure from theft after that.  But, it's too late for you.  I already own the patent on that method.

ifghog

[/qu
I AM SORRY TO HEAR IT MAN....

CallThemHawgs!

I would put the stands up again, hell, I would advertise it.

I have a pair of PVS-7s you can borrow...

I figure a few bear traps and a 12 gauge should do the trick...

DeltaBoy

It is shame full that you got to lock up stuff in the woods anymore.

HAWG MAFIA

My ex father-in-law and I used to share stands. Well we had hung a stand on a Saturday in Oct, he hunted it the next Monday, saw a couple bucks pass thru about 75 yards away, so he moved it when he got down. Killed a nice 8 pt the next morning, Tuesday. He explained where he had moved it to so when I went back on Saturday I could find it. So I go in Saturday morning and walk right to where I believe it should be, I cant spot it anywhere and I know I'm in the right spot, still cant see it, start getting pissed because it's time to be in the stand, so I decide to just sit down at the base of a tree and wait for a little more light, nothing, cant spot it. Finally I look straight up and low and behold there's about 8 inches of the rope he left to pull up your bow. Lost to a theif was a stand, 12 steps, set of rattlin horns and a rope....

Sometime in Jan he gets a call from a friend asking when we started hunting in another area, he'd seen a stand he was pretty sure was one of ours. He gets an idea of where it was located, calls me about 9:30 one night and ask me if I want to go looking for. We found it, it was ours, got the stand , 10 steps back and I left him about 8 inches of rope.

Should've gone back the next morning and just waited on him...

Turned out pretty good considering.

Sorry for your loss, hope you can get lucky and get it back.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: HAWG MAFIA on December 04, 2013, 12:25:47 pm
My ex father-in-law and I used to share stands. Well we had hung a stand on a Saturday in Oct, he hunted it the next Monday, saw a couple bucks pass thru about 75 yards away, so he moved it when he got down. Killed a nice 8 pt the next morning, Tuesday. He explained where he had moved it to so when I went back on Saturday I could find it. So I go in Saturday morning and walk right to where I believe it should be, I cant spot it anywhere and I know I'm in the right spot, still cant see it, start getting pissed because it's time to be in the stand, so I decide to just sit down at the base of a tree and wait for a little more light, nothing, cant spot it. Finally I look straight up and low and behold there's about 8 inches of the rope he left to pull up your bow. Lost to a theif was a stand, 12 steps, set of rattlin horns and a rope....

Sometime in Jan he gets a call from a friend asking when we started hunting in another area, he'd seen a stand he was pretty sure was one of ours. He gets an idea of where it was located, calls me about 9:30 one night and ask me if I want to go looking for. We found it, it was ours, got the stand , 10 steps back and I left him about 8 inches of rope.

Should've gone back the next morning and just waited on him...

Turned out pretty good considering.

Sorry for your loss, hope you can get lucky and get it back.

Great story, glad you recovered it from that thief.  Should have left him a note, saying you know who he is now, & you have him on a game camera.  That would make him a little nervous for awhile...

HAWG MAFIA

Great story, glad you recovered it from that thief.  Should have left him a note, saying you know who he is now, & you have him on a game camera.  That would make him a little nervous for awhile...

I should have done something but didnt think about it at the time.

DeltaBoy