Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Petrino first year vs Bielema first year

Started by RAZORBACKER60, October 19, 2013, 09:25:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RAZORBACKER60

All I keep hearing is "well Petrino did not win his first year". Correct he went 5-7 however he lost to MSU on the road 31-28, with a back up QB.  Lost a close game in the road to UK 21-20, when they were competive.

He lost by two to Ole Miss, who won the cotton bowl that year.

They beat Auburn on the road. Beat LSU at home.

So yes again we went 5-7 but was in most games. We lost 38-7 to Flordia but the gators scored 21 fourth quarter point, and we were in it until that. Tebow was the QB.

Bielema could not carry Petrino's Jox Strap.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

solitons

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on October 19, 2013, 09:25:52 pm
All I keep hearing is "well Petrino did not win his first year". Correct he went 5-7 however he lost to MSU on the road 31-28, with a back up QB.  Lost a close game in the road to UK 21-20, when they were competive.

So yes again we went 5-7 but was in most games. We lost 38-7 to Flordia but the gators scored 21 fourth quarter point, and we were in it until that. Tebow was the QB.

Agree, BP is a better coach.
Now what? we are stuck.

Wild Bill Hog

tophawg19

they will get things going but it's going to be years 4 and 5 beore we are really winning
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Dirty

I'm not sure how you guys are going to handle it.  Yo all are going to stroke out within the next three years. 

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

reddogjcss

I doubt we win another game this year. It will go down as Rutgers the closes lose!

fuzion1

Anyone who is comparing this steamy pile of crap that CBB is producing to Bobby is a moron. I like how they compare it to Nick Sabans first year too. Rofl

BILLYBOB

What is your point? It doesn't matter if BP is a better coach. He's gone. He ain't coming back. What do you want us to do with this information.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

lilredheadedlady

Petrino was a better coach.  But we'll never get him back. 

We have to figure out what's going on with the team we have now.

I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

Hoggam's Razor

Danny Ford had a  96-29 record at Clemson.  Pretty dang good.
I hate it when people complain.

Sed76

You could see progress and the team getting better back in 2008. There is absolutely no progress being shown this season.

The Divine Swine

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on October 19, 2013, 09:32:45 pm

We have to figure out what's going on with the team we have now.

what evidence do you have that BP is a better coach? BP sucked his first year with the Hogs and he is struggling in the sunbelt. Bielema won his conference three times in recent years. Don't get me wrong. I agree BP is a great coach, but he is the reason he is not our coach anymore. He cared more about his personal pleasures and moral depravity that the program he was being paid nearly $4million a year to care about. His lack of attention to defensive recruiting is a big part of our woes today. Just shut up about BP and give Bielema some time.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Hoggam's Razor

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 19, 2013, 09:40:18 pm
what evidence do you have that BP is a better coach? BP sucked his first year with the Hogs and he is struggling in the sunbelt. Bielema won his conference three times in recent years. Don't get me wrong. I agree BP is a great coach, but he is the reason he is not our coach anymore. He cared more about his personal pleasures and moral depravity that the program he was being paid nearly $4million a year to care about. His lack of attention to defensive recruiting is a big part of our woes today. Just shut up about BP and give Bielema some time.
Ha!..I guess you!
I hate it when people complain.

Arkansas Fan

More Petrino Propaganda I see.

Amazing how Petrino gets a pass for his first year and his screwing over of the program yet you fools want Bielema gone already.

THE dumbest fanbase in all of sports.

The_Iceman

Bobby was a good coach, but he was not a good recruiter. He got lucky with his hype coming in to land some instate stud in the 2008 and 2009 classses, but from 2010-2012, his recruiting classes were pitiful.

Now, Bielema is stuck trying to rebuild this roster. The back 7 of the defense is bottom of the SEC caliber. The offensive line left here was soft, leading to Bret starting 2 true freshmen.

Geez, if we wouldn't have hired Bielema, we wouldn't has got Kirkland or Collins. How bad would this team have been then...even with the Almighty Gus?

elkhog

After watching Ole Piss and Auburn win today, I think our only shot of winning a conference game will be Miss St.  If that's the case, Petrino will have had a better first year with a bare cupboard than BB may have.
GO HOGS!!!

HiggiePiggy

I have a question.  Who actually has recruited well at Arkansas?   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Wants2Win

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dirty on October 19, 2013, 09:29:35 pm
I'm not sure how you guys are going to handle it.  Yo all are going to stroke out within the next three years. 
if we keep playing like this, most definitely. 

now if Long would stroke out, we might see some progress.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on October 19, 2013, 09:45:09 pm
More Petrino Propaganda I see.

Amazing how Petrino gets a pass for his first year and his screwing over of the program yet you fools want Bielema gone already.

THE dumbest fanbase in all of sports.
amazing how you give BB a pass, yet fail to recognize that he is on course to have a worse year than JLS
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HiggiePiggy

The Divine Swine

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 19, 2013, 10:14:51 pm
amazing how you give BB a pass, yet fail to recognize that he is on course to have a worse year than JLS

We lost a lot of talent from last year's team. Our QB play compared to last year is atrocious. Cannot compare last season to this season bro. The problem we have is talent. I have realized that now. At first I believed we were at least passable on talent, but it is obviously apparent the talent is not there. Our defense is better than last year even though it may not seem like it. The problem is this year our QB play prevents the ability to sustain offensive drives so our defense is constantly on the field.
Romans 10:9-10

"That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

jamie72921

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 19, 2013, 10:14:02 pm
Frank, Lou and Ken.

Wrong.

Lou was fired in part for poor recruiting. Hatfield did not recruit well here, see Jack Crowe.
Bless your heart

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 19, 2013, 10:08:47 pm
I have a question.  Who actually has recruited well at Arkansas?
J Franklin Broyles

Inhogswetrust

He couldn't find it. It was laying in a ditch on the Pig trail.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wants2Win

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 20, 2013, 03:06:12 am
We lost a lot of talent from last year's team. Our QB play compared to last year is atrocious. Cannot compare last season to this season bro. The problem we have is talent. I have realized that now. At first I believed we were at least passable on talent, but it is obviously apparent the talent is not there. Our defense is better than last year even though it may not seem like it. The problem is this year our QB play prevents the ability to sustain offensive drives so our defense is constantly on the field.
Why haven't tried a different QB then?

EulessHog

BB is da man!

If he can't do it, we're screwed for another four years at least.  The best changes I see happening are at the very, very top.  Get rid of Long first- Petrino, JLS, BB?
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

Quote from: Hogcrates on October 20, 2013, 03:06:12 am

Stop,  it's not working.

jdevers

That first year we were also obliterated ny Alabama and Texas, this year we were at least in the game against Florida in the swamp and against Texas A&M.  Don't be selective and start up revisionist history.  Everyone on this board wanted Petrino fired after DeAnthony Curtis fumbled the ball that lead to the loss against Kentucky.

hoglady

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 20, 2013, 03:12:07 am
Wrong.

Lou was fired in part for poor recruiting. Hatfield did not recruit well here, see Jack Crowe.

I give Lou a little bit of a pass on his recruiting - since during his tenure EVERY school in the SWC but us and Rice was put on probation for cheating.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hoglady

Quote from: jdevers on October 20, 2013, 08:21:38 am
That first year we were also obliterated ny Alabama and Texas, this year we were at least in the game against Florida in the swamp and against Texas A&M.  Don't be selective and start up revisionist history.  Everyone on this board wanted Petrino fired after DeAnthony Curtis fumbled the ball that lead to the loss against Kentucky.

I never wanted Petrino fired during the first year.
I don't really think most on here want Coach B fired, but I think many are now questioning whether that's the most likely conclusion a few years down the road.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 19, 2013, 09:49:06 pm
Bobby was a good coach, but he was not a good recruiter. He got lucky with his hype coming in to land some instate stud in the 2008 and 2009 classses, but from 2010-2012, his recruiting classes were pitiful.

Now, Bielema is stuck trying to rebuild this roster. The back 7 of the defense is bottom of the SEC caliber. The offensive line left here was soft, leading to Bret starting 2 true freshmen.

Geez, if we wouldn't have hired Bielema, we wouldn't has got Kirkland or Collins. How bad would this team have been then...even with the Almighty Gus?

Not correct. The offensive line left here was geared for pass blocking. The 2 true freshmen are run blockers.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 19, 2013, 09:29:35 pm
they will get things going but it's going to be years 4 and 5 beore we are really winning

If he doesn't start winning, he and his staff won't last near that long.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hoggie17

Quote from: solitons on October 19, 2013, 09:27:39 pm
Agree, BP is a better coach.
Now what? we are stuck.
We should have to keep CBB for 10 or more years!  I sure don't want Long bringing another coach in.

Nosboar Accubond

At this point in the season they were very comparable. I remember thinking CBP couldn't get it done when we eeked by some low level Lousiana schools and got curb stomped soon after.

At that point there was no "sign of improvement". We were coming off lucky 4th down conversions to beat the deaf school, and got out scored 139-31 over the next 3 weeks. Then we go beat an overrated Auburn team who still thought Kodi Burns could play QB.

That win fueled improvement over the rest of the season. It was week 6 before there was anything that looked remotely like a football team.

What week are we in now? I have no idea how we will finish the year, but all this CBP showed improvement crap is revisionist history. At this point in that season it was all "this style only works in the Big East".

I prefer to see how this plays out, rather than assume I have a crystal ball.

Chief Mac

52-10  Texas
49-14  Bama
28-24 win over Western Illinois
28-27 win over ULM

LSU was a 7-5 team and Miss St was a 4-8 team

don't forget to put those in the equation as well.....oh wait, that doesn't fit in your agenda.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Chief Mac

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on October 20, 2013, 08:31:50 am
Not correct. The offensive line left here was geared for pass blocking. The 2 true freshmen are run blockers.

well for a OL that is geared for pass blocking, they sucked last year and this year at that
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 20, 2013, 05:17:47 pm
52-10  Texas
49-14  Bama
28-24 win over Western Illinois
28-27 win over ULM

LSU was a 7-5 team and Miss St was a 4-8 team

don't forget to put those in the equation as well.....oh wait, that doesn't fit in your agenda.
so you are counting WINS against Petrino ?  what a hineyclown
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Tusks

My *** agenda is a winning program.  If I want to support a sports program just so Jack and John can get a participation trophy I can do that anywhere.

Why support a major D1 football program if the top priority isn't WINNING?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: tusked on October 20, 2013, 05:27:03 pm
My *** agenda is a winning program.  If I want to support a sports program just so Jack and John can get a participation trophy I can do that anywhere.

Why support a major D1 football program if the top priority isn't WINNING?
we do have the chairman of the NCAA Selection Committee in our midst....he levitates among us with his halo sitting just atop his 300 dollar haircut
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

PorcineSublime

There is some misremembering in this. You might could argue the FL game, but we were not in games with Bama or Texas outside the fact that we were on the same field. We might end up winning less games than that year and in the end BP may end up being the better coach, but at this point any attempt to deduce that is based on skewed data at best. Give the man at least as long as you would have given BP, if for no other reason than the PTB will, and you might as well save yourself the stroke or heart attack.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Tusks

I have yet to see him do anything that impresses me.  Name one.  Taking the billionaires money and spending it on facilities is HIS JOB.

What has been a keen or ground breaking event that chithead came up with the idea, pushed it through and executed it.  When did he push the money men to do something or have a vision THEY didn't see but chithead did and surprise everyone?

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 20, 2013, 05:29:14 pm
we do have the chairman of the NCAA Selection Committee in our midst....he levitates among us with his halo sitting just atop his 300 dollar haircut
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 20, 2013, 05:25:29 pm
so you are counting WINS against Petrino ?  what a hineyclown
No one is counting anything against BP except his bad judgement when dealing with his boss. The point that was being made was that we were just as frustrated with him at this point in 08 as we are with BB now. Does that mean that we will be in a top bowl or the playoff in three years? Who knows. Building something takes time unless you go the mobile home route and we have all seen what happens to those when the storm hits. 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

HogsInaBlanket

is it just me or did u conveniently leave off our biggest blow outs that year?

hog1812

Quote from: lilredheadedlady on October 19, 2013, 09:32:45 pm

Nor do we need him back.  He is a worthless human being, and the cause of a great deal of UA misery today.

I can hear it now: "Oh, but he's such a TREMENDOUS coach!!!".

Not sure Western Kentucky folks are so certain right now. 

"Oh, he has to have time to build his program!!!"

And of course, Coach Bielema doesn't deserve the same consideration.

Sometimes, whiny Arkansas fans are an embarrassment to the entire state.  Get behind your team (win or lose), or find another team to support.  LSU comes quickly to mind.  You'd love it there -- they whine about as much as you guys do.

(this is not aimed at littleredheadlady, I just borrowed her statement)

HiggiePiggy

Actually people were not as frustrated with Petrino as much as they are with Beliema because people could see the future with the offense that was put out with Casey dick at QB.  Plus we just had a roller coaster coach before him and were happy to get rid of him. 

HogsInaBlanket

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 20, 2013, 05:47:42 pm
Actually people were not as frustrated with Petrino as much as they are with Beliema because people could see the future with the offense that was put out with Casey dick at QB.  Plus we just had a roller coaster coach before him and were happy to get rid of him.

people were so happy it wasnt houston nutt that whoever was out choach would have been given a free pass.