Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoop Hogs Picked 8th at SEC Media Day

Started by Smithian, October 16, 2013, 10:13:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Right now. It's hard to tell how good or how bad Alabama might be. Same with Ole Miss. Both have one elite scoring guard, but not much else that's proven after that.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 18, 2013, 01:15:44 am
I think there are clear tiers:

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

4. LSU
5. Missouri
6. Alabama
7. Ole Miss
8. Arkansas

9. Texas A&M
10. Vanderbilt

11. Georgia
12. South Carolina
13. Mississippi State
14. Auburn

We're in Tier II.

Here's roughly how the schedule should shake out:

Tier I (1-3)
1. Kentucky (H, R)
2. Florida (H)
3. Tennessee (R)

Tier II (4-3)
4. LSU (H, R)
5. Missouri (H, R)
6. Alabama (H, R)
7. Ole Miss (H)
8. Arkansas

Tier III (1-1)
9. Texas A&M (R)
10. Vanderbilt (R)

Tier IV (5-0)
11. Georgia (H, R)
12. South Carolina (H)
13. Mississippi State (R)
14. Auburn (H)

No excuse to lose to a Tier IV team. The schedule gods hate us again, because we only get a double against one team ranked 9-14. We need a road win against against a Tier III team (both are road games). If we can win all the home/lose all the road against Tier II then I'm happy. If we can pull one home upset (both UK and Fla visit Fayetteville) I'll also be happy.

That's an 11-7 conference record. If we go 11-2 in OOC, then we're 22-9. Win a couple in the SECT, and we're dancing or close to it at 24-10.
Very good breakdown.  Just not sold on Ole Miss though. I think the absence of Buckner and Holloway will be huge!  Now this Diaz dude is reported to be the 2nd coming of Dirk if you read some reports but he's not a banger and shot blocker like those two were.  They erased a lot of defensive issues with Ole Miss.  They're tier III to me. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HawgAdvocate

April 22, 2014, 05:36:48 pm #54 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:26:04 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 22, 2014, 05:33:52 pm
You guy's recall this?

Considering all of the close finishes we had (good & bad), we were one loss away from  being tied for that 6th-8th tie/spot. A lot of parity in the middle of the SEC this past season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 22, 2014, 05:36:48 pm
Considering all of the close finishes we had (good & bad), we were one loss away from  being tied for that 6th-8th tie/spot. A lot of parity in the middle of the SEC this past season.
We also could have won at Mizzou and finished off UF at home we would have been in 3rd place.

seasonhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 17, 2013, 06:08:44 pm
We better prove them wrong.  Our football team sucks.  I want to see some success some where.  This is basketball and our conference isn't the toughest like it is in football.  If we finish 8th then I will have to question Anderson's ability to get it done here.   And I am a huge Anderson fan.  I expect to be in the NCAA tournament this year.  If not then it was a failed season in my opinion.

We will be better then 8th.........this team has some talent...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2014, 07:31:35 pm
We also could have won at Mizzou and finished off UF at home we would have been in 3rd place.

We also could have won every single game we played and won another daggum national championship.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 22, 2014, 08:05:55 pm
We also could have won every single game we played and won another daggum national championship.

Just shows what a good coach Mike Anderson is. pick 8th and finished 4th. so the team did a lot better than people thought they would. which pisses you off.Mike Anderson is here to stay. so get use to it.

mbgrulz

Yea, and then you'd be all...

mbgrulz

Winning all our games is a long ways from me suggesting that Harris put UF away by hitting a FT with :18 seconds left...We had them down for the count...Or that if Mizzou doesn't hit a game winner on us.

Its as much or more reasonable to think about us winning those games vs. us losing some of the close ones we won.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

Gonna be hard for us to out-do our pre-season ranking next season. We're probably no worse than the #4 team and likely the #3 team. I think we're picked 3rd. Gonna be a lot of pressure this time around instead of a chip on the shoulder.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2014, 08:49:58 pm
Winning all our games is a long ways from me suggesting that Harris put UF away by hitting a FT with :18 seconds left...We had them down for the count...Or that if Mizzou doesn't hit a game winner on us.

Its as much or more reasonable to think about us winning those games vs. us losing some of the close ones we won.

Winning two (3rd) is more reasonable than losing one (6th-8th)? Interesting. But hey, you took it there. Face it mgbrulz...

Breems

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2014, 08:42:52 pm
Yea, and then you'd be all...

LOL, yeah, who wants to see the Hogs win another NC? Not this guy.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on April 22, 2014, 09:55:08 pm
Say something positive. I dare you.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=551209.msg8515244#msg8515244

This one was pretty positive, from page one of this thread. Never give up your dreams.

mbgrulz

What happened to all that "I'm gonna be scarce" talk HA?

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 22, 2014, 09:28:29 pm
Winning two (3rd) is more reasonable than losing one (6th-8th)? Interesting. But hey, you took it there. Face it mgbrulz...

Well there were two we easily could've won.  Name one we barely won but could have lost.  Vandy? Nah, they cans back on us yes, but we were in control.  Georgia at Georgia is a third I think we could have easily won and would have with next years team.

Which if you don't know my opinion on how our team is going to be next year, I think we're going to be really dang good and come 1st ir 2nd in the sec.

HouseOfHam

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2014, 10:38:22 pm
He was when the hogs went on their win streak toward the middle of February thru early March or so.

latrops

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 22, 2014, 09:11:48 pm
Gonna be hard for us to out-do our pre-season ranking next season. We're probably no worse than the #4 team and likely the #3 team. I think we're picked 3rd. Gonna be a lot of pressure this time around instead of a chip on the shoulder.

Unless they like losing and not making the NCAAT, the "pressure" should be irrelevant.  Yes, more is expected, but they should expect more from themselves.  Pressure shouldn't be an issue unless too much is expected from fans/admin/experts.  Simply making the NCAAT (and being competitive once in) isn't too much to expect by any stretch.  Our coach, now entering his 4th season with the program, has a solid NCAAT history prior to his return to Arkansas.  We return most of the meaningful contributors from a team that won 22 and was only one or two wins out of the NCAAT this year.  Failing to make the NCAAT next year would be a huge disappointment. 

Breems

Quote from: HouseOfHam on April 23, 2014, 03:36:02 am
He was when the hogs went on their win streak toward the middle of February thru early March or so.

Indeed. Poor neutral court performance for him this year.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 22, 2014, 10:38:22 pm

I've been pretty scarce...rarely post more than a day or two a week. You asked to derail the thread when you made your hypocritical response regarding more favorable outcomes. It is what it is.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 23, 2014, 12:19:08 am
Well there were two we easily could've won.  Name one we barely won but could have lost. 

HawgAdvocate

April 23, 2014, 09:17:59 am #75 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:41:57 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HouseOfHam on April 23, 2014, 03:36:02 am

Quote from: Breems on April 23, 2014, 07:31:47 am
Indeed. Poor neutral court performance for him this year.

I get a kick out of the 'only post when we win/lose' story line that a few of you truly believe in. It's easily one of the more ridiculous things to read on Jump Ball, and seriously, some of you come up with some facepalm-worthy posts nearly every day.

And HouseofHam...you only registered your handle on March 25th...yet you claim to be following me around in February...dare I greet Jamie90210/hambone's new handle? LOL that's pretty sad man.

Hawg Red

Quote from: latrops on April 23, 2014, 06:57:23 am
Unless they like losing and not making the NCAAT, the "pressure" should be irrelevant.  Yes, more is expected, but they should expect more from themselves.  Pressure shouldn't be an issue unless too much is expected from fans/admin/experts.  Simply making the NCAAT (and being competitive once in) isn't too much to expect by any stretch.  Our coach, now entering his 4th season with the program, has a solid NCAAT history prior to his return to Arkansas.  We return most of the meaningful contributors from a team that won 22 and was only one or two wins out of the NCAAT this year.  Failing to make the NCAAT next year would be a huge disappointment.

Pressure is irrelevant.

Hmm. How about that?

Learn something new everyday.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 23, 2014, 09:14:01 am

Missing that shot and no dunk would have taken us to a second OT. It wouldn't have lost us the game. Going into OT2 Randle, A. Harrison and Poythress both had 4 fouls. The only guys with four for us was Gulley (who had played only 24 minutes and if I recall wasn't even in the game at the time) and Kiko (pretty sure that wouldn't have broke us if he picked up #5). So if you want to talk about safe assumptions, its safe to say a 2nd OT would have put us in a better position then UK. Now the South Carolina game you have a better argument. Of course that can easily be countere with the UF game or the game at Mizzou, and some could argue the UGA game in Athens as well. So there were quite a few close losses that we missed easy buckets or free throws to lose the game vs. games we just barely won.

Letsroll1200

The_Iceman

I'm sure every team could nit-pick their schedule and come out with drastically different results.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2014, 11:08:54 am
I'm sure every team could nit-pick their schedule and come out with drastically different results.

Correct.

All that we can take away from last season is that we definitely took another step in the right direction and we were competitive in the vast majority of our games -- whether we won handily, won comfortably, barely won or barely lost. There were only a few truly bad performances and that was refreshing.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 23, 2014, 09:17:59 am

I get a kick out of the 'only post when we win/lose' story line that a few of you truly believe in. It's easily one of the more ridiculous things to read on Jump Ball, and seriously, some of you come up with some facepalm-worthy posts nearly every day.

And HouseofHam...you only registered your handle on March 25th...yet you claim to be following me around in February...dare I greet Jamie90210/hambone's new handle? LOL that's pretty sad man.

You don't get a kick out of it. it pisses you off and people expose you for who you are. and who you are is a Pel lover that can't get over the fact that he got fired here. and you hope Mike Anderson fails and get's fired. when the Hogs were on that streak and won 8 out of 9 games.i did not see much of you on here. but when we lost 3 of our final 4 games. you showed up again. why was i not shocked?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 22, 2014, 05:33:52 pm
You guy's recall this?

Do you recall this?

2011-12 SEC Media Prediction:
Hogs 6th Actual Finish 9th

2012-13 SEC Media Prediction:
Hogs 5th Actual Finish 7th

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 22, 2014, 08:34:23 pm
Just shows what a good coach Mike Anderson is. pick 8th and finished 4th. so the team did a lot better than people thought they would. which pisses you off.Mike Anderson is here to stay. so get use to it.

What was he the previous two seasons when the Hogs finished lower than predicted?

Media polls for basketball are irrelevant.  Just entertainment and something to give the media and talking heads to talk about in the offseason. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 23, 2014, 09:13:02 am
I've been pretty scarce...rarely post more than a day or two a week. You asked to derail the thread when you made your hypocritical response regarding more favorable outcomes. It is what it is.
You were the one who brought up the whole "what could have been" argument. I simply gave it a more positive spin, and God knows got you fired up.

Also, your definition of scarce and mine are different...
April 21 - 5 posts
April 22 - 8 posts
Today - 3 posts already

You've taken a grand total of 7 days off in the last month...but I'm sure you won't read or respond to this seeing as how little you're on here now...

HouseOfHam

You don't have to register to read this board. I have been lurking for a few years.

Breems

You did disappear, even after the rest period.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HouseOfHam on April 23, 2014, 12:21:49 pm
You don't have to register to read this board. I have been lurking for a few years.

Guess he didn't know that.

alaback

April 23, 2014, 10:58:54 pm #87 Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:30:14 pm by alaback
Quote from: mbgrulz on April 23, 2014, 11:53:12 am
You were the one who brought up the whole "what could have been" argument. I simply gave it a more positive spin, and God knows got you fired up.

April 21 - 5 posts
April 22 - 8 posts
Today - 3 posts already

You've taken a grand total of 7 days off in the last month...but I'm sure you won't read or respond to this seeing as how little you're on here now...

You should take a closer look.  HA did become scarce after he said he would.  Didn't even offer a single comment after the UK road win.  That is until March 10th, he suddenly became a volume poster and then the few days after the loss to S. Carolina, he really got busy. 

Then a little quiet, posting a little before the ISU win and pretty much no comment on that game afterwards.  Then the volume posting returned with a vengeance in the few days after the Cal loss.  The last serious post volume was February 13th which happened to coincide with the loss at Mizzou.  The break occured after the LSU win.  The agenda is quite obvious.

CDBHawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 22, 2014, 05:36:48 pm

If I find a million dollars, I'll be a millionaire.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 23, 2014, 11:44:20 am
Do you recall this?

2011-12 SEC Media Prediction:
Hogs 6th Actual Finish 9th

2012-13 SEC Media Prediction:
Hogs 5th Actual Finish 7th

What was he the previous two seasons when the Hogs finished lower than predicted?

Media polls for basketball are irrelevant.  Just entertainment and something to give the media and talking heads to talk about in the offseason.

9th
7th
4th

What was he? Not the question.

What is he? A good coach.

nextlevel

Quote from: alaback on April 23, 2014, 10:58:54 pm
You should take a closer look.  HA did become scare after he said he would.  Didn't even offer a single comment after the UK road win.  That is until March 10th, he suddenly became a volume poster and then the few days after the loss to S. Carolina, he really got busy. 

Then a little quiet, posting a little before the ISU win and pretty much no comment on that game afterwards.  Then the volume posting returned with a vengeance in the few days after the Cal loss.  The last serious post volume was February 13th which happened to coincide with the loss at Mizzou.  The break occured after the LSU win.  The agenda is quite obvious.

I wouldn't put that much thought into it, he was volume posting this time of year a few years ago about being patient, all Pel needed was time, 14-18 was improvement over 14-16, the program was headed in the right direction, etc.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

alaback

Quote from: nextlevel on April 23, 2014, 11:10:09 pm
I wouldn't put that much thought into it, he was volume posting this time of year a few years ago about being patient, all Pel needed was time, 14-18 was improvement over 14-16, the program was headed in the right direction, etc.

Yes, see the irony on full display below...

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 28, 2011, 11:30:14 am
Almost every person on here who is wanting Pel to be able to coach his 2011 kids for at least one season has kept their posts in the proper context outside of the mudslinging that has come with misguided, totally unrelated personal attacks from those who obviously aren't happy with this team making a postive move towards postseason play.

Even when we win, we still see an abundance of threads/posts from the same old voices doing their damnedest to keep the negative air flowing. It's sickening that the fanbase has to constantly deal with this, especially at a time when the team needs our home crowd support most.

Swinesong1

Quote from: alaback on April 23, 2014, 11:59:59 pm
Yes, see the irony on full display below...
Well played alaback!  Well played!

latrops

You guys really need to let it go that HA thought Pel should get another year.  Pel's teams did improve marginally over the last couple of years and a reasonable case could be made.  I was certainly in favor of keeping Pel another year over hiring another unproven up and comer.  CMA, though, had a track record of achieving a higher level of success and I was happy with the move. 

HA may not be a big CMA fan, but if that is the case, his criticism barely registers compared to much of what is on this board.  FWIW, if CMA doesn't get this team into the NCAAT next season, his 4 years here will not be much better than what Pel did, while Pel arguably had a tougher job given what he inherited .  I've seen a little progress, but next season is big.  CMA needs to get this team over the hump.  In any case, I believe it is OK to think the last coach deserved one more year AND also support the current coach.  I like Pel, I like CMA.  To this point, neither did a good enough job.

Expectations are justifiably higher for CMA. 

Breems

Quote from: latrops on April 24, 2014, 06:54:32 am
You guys really need to let it go that HA thought Pel should get another year.  Pel's teams did improve marginally over the last couple of years and a reasonable case could be made.  I was certainly in favor of keeping Pel another year over hiring another unproven up and comer.  CMA, though, had a track record of achieving a higher level of success and I was happy with the move. 

HA may not be a big CMA fan, but if that is the case, his criticism barely registers compared to much of what is on this board.  FWIW, if CMA doesn't get this team into the NCAAT next season, his 4 years here will not be much better than what Pel did, while Pel arguably had a tougher job given what he inherited .  I've seen a little progress, but next season is big.  CMA needs to get this team over the hump.  In any case, I believe it is OK to think the last coach deserved one more year AND also support the current coach.  I like Pel, I like CMA.  To this point, neither did a good enough job.

Expectations are justifiably higher for CMA. 

Few people care that he thought Pel should get another year. Many shared that opinion.

It's his constant stream of negativity and disappearance earlier this year that allows us to go to war with him. His (message board) agenda is no more concealed under "realism" than FCJ's is.

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2014, 12:24:00 pm
I'm happiest on Hogville when those who try to constantly spite me with juvenile nonsense eat a plate full of crow. Tastes good doesn't it?

He is here solely to wage war against those who opposed his support of Pelphrey. The forces against him will continue to grow in number, and I'll continue to spearhead the attack.

HawgAdvocate

April 24, 2014, 09:19:36 am #95 Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:29:37 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: mbgrulz on April 23, 2014, 11:53:12 am

April 21 - 5 posts
April 22 - 8 posts
Today - 3 posts already

The topic was that we were predicted to finish 8th...and I posted that we were one game away from finishing 8th. Not sure how you can't make that connection. ..wait a minute, yes I am.

LOL...I'm glad you pay that much attention to how often I post. A few posts a day is a far cry from what I used to do. Then again, I don't really have to defend myself from any of post counting nimrods on here.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on April 24, 2014, 08:21:41 am
Few people care that he thought Pel should get another year. Many shared that opinion.

It's his constant stream of negativity and disappearance earlier this year that allows us to go to war with him. His (message board) agenda is no more concealed under "realism" than FCJ's is.

He is here solely to wage war against those who opposed his support of Pelphrey. The forces against him will continue to grow in number, and I'll continue to spearhead the attack.

This is both funny and sad at the same time. Poor Breems, content to spend his days trolling, eager for the appreciation of others. I remember a prior time when Breems once thought he was being clever:

Quote from: mhuff on November 20, 2013, 02:22:09 pm
I quote HA because I agree with his analysis . I quote several other people on this board. Breems, you even admit to jerking HA's chain as you have done on this board and others. Is it the Memphis board you used to go on and stir the pot? I know that must be fun for you. HA just brings more facts to this board than most. His knowledge and analysis is normally what I consider the best here. We have gained some good posters ,and most of the reprobates have vacated. However, there is a contingency that tries to start arguments with HA by coming up with some of the stupidest retorts and then start calling people names when they can't win an untenable point. HA does not need my help taking up for himself, but suffice it to say that there are people on this board that appreciate his contribution. It is just that I am used to being around men on oilrigs..... not junior high school students. We talk things out instead of whining like little girls and calling people names. There are some young posters on here that present fabulous info. However, there are some that are immature and don't seem to be getting any smarter. If you will notice, there are many young people on here that I quote. You failed to mention that ,but I guess it didn't meet your agenda to stir up some crap and put people down. Those I have quoted know to whom I have respected their opinion and given credit. If I quote someone , they get a +1 to recognize good info that I agree with. I really thought that was the purpose for the pluses and minuses. The vast majority of the people I respect have more minuses than pluses. Perhaps they're not well liked.

Pretty good summation of league the 'junior high posts' I see above mine.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 24, 2014, 09:19:36 am
Then again, I don't really have to defend myself from any of post counting nimrods on here.

HawgAdvocate

How many will I post today MBG? I hope you can count beyond your five fingers on each hand.

LOL - another reason why I don't post as much anymore...this place is for children. Good day.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: seasonhog on April 22, 2014, 07:59:42 pm

We will be better then 8th.........this team has some talent...
lol. Wake up, son. This is last year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.