Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoop Hogs Picked 8th at SEC Media Day

Started by Smithian, October 16, 2013, 10:13:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogCaller13

The media is underestimating us. We will prove them wrong I hope.
Respect Your Opponent, But Fear None!!! #1-0 WPS

3kgthog

That sounds about right with no go-to scorers and not much of a PG anywhere on the roster.

mbgrulz

Bama and Ole Miss are overrated here.

Marshall Henderson is interesting, but Buckner and Holloway are gone, and they were the workhorses.

dotnet

Quote from: mbgrulz on October 16, 2013, 11:10:58 am
Bama and Ole Miss are overrated here.

Marshall Henderson is interesting, but Buckner and Holloway are gone, and they were the workhorses.

Yeah, the typical MB thing is to act like no one else has good players coming in... only your team does. 

But depending on who they have coming in... Henderson no a solid team is exciting.  Henderson on a bad team terrible.  (by Henderson, I mean that type of player)

mbgrulz

Quote from: dotnet on October 16, 2013, 11:22:05 am
Yeah, the typical MB thing is to act like no one else has good players coming in... only your team does. 

But depending on who they have coming in... Henderson no a solid team is exciting.  Henderson on a bad team terrible.  (by Henderson, I mean that type of player)
Ole Miss lost WAY more than they replaced. They are riding Henderson's March success. That's it!

Bama brought back Relelford, but lost Lacy. They added 2 four star forwards. I'm not sold on them. Especially with Grant on their bench.

-Blu

Here's the complete order.

Order of finish in SEC media poll. UK, Fla, UT, LSU, Mizzou, Alabama, Ole Miss, Ark, A&M, Vandy, Georgia, SC, Miss St, Auburn

TBH that's not bad, probably the poll I agree with the most that's been put out so far.  I do think we will be a better team than Mizzou, Alabama, and Ole Miss, but until proven otherwise those predictions aren't bad at all.  I think we can really make some noise this year in the SEC and finish as high as 4th or 5th.

But, let's say we do finish 8th in the SEC.  With our OOC schedule it's completely possible for us to finish 7th or 8th in conference and still make the tournament, being in 7th or 8th place could still mean 10 wins in conference.  If we go 12-1 OOC then 10-8 in conference with a couple of wins in the SEC tournament, it would be real hard to leave us out, assuming we have some big wins at home vs ranked teams (Florida, Kentucky, etc.), win a couple of road games, and beat a couple of quality tournament teams in Maui.  12-1 OOC 10-8 Conference, 2-1 in SEC tournament, and your looking at a 24-10 team going into selection Sunday.

Otis

8 SEC teams aren't making the tournament.

-Blu

Quote from: Otis on October 16, 2013, 12:13:25 pm
8 SEC teams aren't making the tournament.

Don't think anybody said that at all.  I said you could finish 8th in the SEC and still make the tournament.  Let's say we go 12-1 OOC 10-8 in conference and let's use  Alabama for an example.  Let's say they finish 2 spots ahead of us and has 11-7 conference record and tied with Ole Miss, but Alabama owns the tie breaker.  Alabama has a pretty tough OOC schedule.  They play Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Duke, Rutgers/Arizona, Wichita State, Xavier, USF, and Robert Morris.  Let's say they really struggle and lose 5 of 8 of those big games.  That will give them an 8-5 OOC.  Which will give them a 19-12 record vs us having a 22-9 record.  It's completely possible that if our conference wins were better and we did good in Maui, that we would have a better RPI than them and make the tournament, and they do not.  Happens all the time.

edit: another real life example of that for us is Mizzou finished 6th in the SEC last year, and was 1 of the 3 SEC teams that made the tournament.  Conference record isn't everything.

The_Iceman

Quote from: -Blu on October 16, 2013, 12:00:37 pm

Order of finish in SEC media poll. UK, Fla, UT, LSU, Mizzou, Alabama, Ole Miss, Ark, A&M, Vandy, Georgia, SC, Miss St, Auburn

There must be a mistake, GoHogs1091 said his beloved Miss State would finish 5th.

HawgAdvocate

But, let's say we do finish 8th in the SEC.  With our OOC schedule it's completely possible for us to finish 7th or 8th in conference and still make the tournament, being in 7th or 8th place could still mean 10 wins in conference. 

Keep dreaming.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Jackrabbit Hog

7th or 8th is about right.  We'll be mediocre for, what, the 12th year in a row?  ESPN needs to do a 30 for 30 documentary on whatever happened to Arkansas basketball. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

BikiniHog

Quote from: HogCaller13 on October 16, 2013, 10:54:55 am
LOL just like in football

BikiniHog

TBH that's not bad, probably the poll I agree with the most that's been put out so far.  I do think we will be a better team than Mizzou, Alabama, and Ole Miss, but until proven otherwise those predictions aren't bad at all.  I think we can really make some noise this year in the SEC and finish as high as 4th or 5th.

But, let's say we do finish 8th in the SEC.  With our OOC schedule it's completely possible for us to finish 7th or 8th in conference and still make the tournament, being in 7th or 8th place could still mean 10 wins in conference.  If we go 12-1 OOC then 10-8 in conference with a couple of wins in the SEC tournament, it would be real hard to leave us out, assuming we have some big wins at home vs ranked teams (Florida, Kentucky, etc.), win a couple of road games, and beat a couple of quality tournament teams in Maui.  12-1 OOC 10-8 Conference, 2-1 in SEC tournament, and your looking at a 24-10 team going into selection Sunday.
Wow give me some of what you are drinking

The_Iceman

BikiniHog gone!

So, what that just a bad new poster, or a previous banned poster under a new name?

yocdaddy

We'll finish 5th....ahead or tied with Mizzou, Bama, or Ole Miss.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

The_Iceman

Quote from: yocdaddy on October 16, 2013, 02:53:13 pm
We'll finish 5th....ahead or tied with Mizzou, Bama, or Ole Miss.

Very possible. Our losses are being over-estimated while the losses at Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Bama are being under-estimated.

HROHog

October 16, 2013, 03:33:46 pm #17 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:01:02 pm by HROHog
I'm not concerned about the predictions. As we seen last year, 1 or 2 games can make a big difference in the standings and I certainly think we are capable of improving.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2013, 02:55:37 pm
Very possible. Our losses are being over-estimated while the losses at Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Bama are being under-estimated.
I won't lie, I'll always miss BJ for his late game winning plays (Mizzou, Oklahoma, others), but mostly because he took out Archie Goodwin. That was awesome.

poloprince

Good thing what they predict means absolutely nothing.
$PoLoPrInCe$

-Blu

Quote from: BikiniHog on October 16, 2013, 02:38:34 pm
Wow give me some of what you are drinking

I know this account of yours is gone, but hopefully you'll see this on one of your other accounts.

Here is an article by rant sports that suggests the same thing that I did.  http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/10/09/sec-basketball-top-5-weakest-nonconference-schedules/

"The SEC is expected to come down to a battle between the Kentucky Wildcats and Florida Gators for supremacy with Tennessee also thrown into the mix. Besides the worst teams like Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M, the rest of the SEC could finish anywhere from third to 10th in the conference. The nonconference wins and losses could mean the teams that finished sixth or seventh in the SEC could get into the tournament over teams that finished fourth or fifth – it's that important."

And I don't think a 12-1 OOC and 10-8 conference record is outrageous, it's actually a fairly moderate prediction for us this year.  Some posters feel we'll do even better than that.  None of these teams are going to beat us at home in the non-conference, and I got us losing the first game to Cal in Maui and beating Minnesota and Dayton in our 2nd and 3rd game there, which we would be favored in both of those games if it played out that way.  Add that with 1 or 2 wins in the SEC tournament and you have 23-24 wins on selection Sunday.  Has there ever been an SEC team with 23 wins to be left out?  If so, I'm pretty sure it's not a high percentage and we'd have a really good chance.

nextlevel

Quote from: -Blu on October 16, 2013, 05:12:26 pm
I know this account of yours is gone, but hopefully you'll see this on one of your other accounts.

Here is an article by rant sports that suggests the same thing that I did.  http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2013/10/09/sec-basketball-top-5-weakest-nonconference-schedules/

"The SEC is expected to come down to a battle between the Kentucky Wildcats and Florida Gators for supremacy with Tennessee also thrown into the mix. Besides the worst teams like Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Texas A&M, the rest of the SEC could finish anywhere from third to 10th in the conference. The nonconference wins and losses could mean the teams that finished sixth or seventh in the SEC could get into the tournament over teams that finished fourth or fifth – it's that important."

And I don't think a 12-1 OOC and 10-8 conference record is outrageous, it's actually a fairly moderate prediction for us this year.  Some posters feel we'll do even better than that.  None of these teams are going to beat us at home in the non-conference, and I got us losing the first game to Cal in Maui and beating Minnesota and Dayton in our 2nd and 3rd game there, which we would be favored in both of those games if it played out that way.  Add that with 1 or 2 wins in the SEC tournament and you have 23-24 wins on selection Sunday.  Has there ever been an SEC team with 23 wins to be left out?  If so, I'm pretty sure it's not a high percentage and we'd have a really good chance.

It has never happened.

Ole Miss was talked about having the highest win total for an SEC team to be left out last year before they went ahead and won the SEC-T.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Swinesong1

Swinesong1

Swinesong1

PORKULATOR

We'll finish 4th in the SEC this year. Im callin backboard on this one.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Nipsey Mussle

Ole Miss had a really good freshman point guard last season. I'd consider us top 5 in the SEC if we had him. And yeah I'm too lazy to google his name. He went off against Vandy in the SecT and generally came on strong at the end of the year.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 16, 2013, 02:11:42 pm
There must be a mistake, GoHogs1091 said his beloved Miss State would finish 5th.
They will finish 5th (or better). They had a couple of guys who were named Sec Freshman of the Week. If you have guys named Sec Freshman of the Week, you know that it strikes fear in heart of Coaches. Coaches pay attention to these things, especially awards (like Sec Freshman of the Week) and it's a fact that those who were named Sec Freshman of the Week went on to become Hall of Famers in the Sport of Basketball.

Screwdriver

First post.

Expecting more than what perhaps will be possible this year. NCAA bid, good road record, and a consistently ranked team. However I don't see any high expectations for any of the above yet am trying to be optimistic.

Going into MA's first season surely we all thought by his third year the possibilities mentioned above to be the expectation? Or am I alone there??

Still not having a true point or a court general slash facilitater is making me question everything honestly. I will be optimistic for this season to play out first but if we get burned on the road and make no waves in the big picture of things I'll be pretty unhappy with the program.

Will we as fans be accepting this kind mediocrity in CBB third year?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Screwdriver on October 16, 2013, 11:21:04 pm
Going into MA's first season surely we all thought by his third year the possibilities mentioned above to be the expectation? Or am I alone there??

Mizzou's Elite Eight run in MA's third year has certainly been the popular reference and/or set standard over the prior two seasons when preaching patience on Jump Ball.

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 11, 2013, 12:49:41 pm
If he could do it at a doormat like Mizzou, then he will do more here.

Quotejry04:

--- Quote from: regi on January 09, 2013, 09:40:09 pm ---They are a basketball school

--- End quote ---
Posts like this make me laugh.

Do you know how bad they were when Mike took over? Do you realize their best season prior to Anderson was a trip to the Elite 8, and Arkansas beat them by about 30 to open that season? Missouri doesn't have anywhere near the basketball tradition the Hogs have. Mike turned them around in 3 years. This is only year 2 for us.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 17, 2013, 12:40:21 am
Mizzou's Elite Eight run in MA's third year has certainly been the popular reference and/or set standard over the prior two seasons when preaching patience on Jump Ball.

I remember even you using that example years ago. Popular indeed.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MountieDawg

The schedule will give plenty of non conference wins, but will also cause empty seats in BWA with no one bringing excitement to BWA. Then when the losses start in the SEC, first it will be some bad calls by the refs and later it will be the system.  I think 7th or 8th is about right in the SEC this year.
SEC!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on October 17, 2013, 01:04:06 am

I'm sure you do.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BBsTheMan on October 16, 2013, 09:39:32 pm
They will finish 5th (or better). They had a couple of guys who were named Sec Freshman of the Week. If you have guys named Sec Freshman of the Week, you know that it strikes fear in heart of Coaches. Coaches pay attention to these things, especially awards (like Sec Freshman of the Week) and it's a fact that those who were named Sec Freshman of the Week went on to become Hall of Famers in the Sport of Basketball.
i'll give u a B+ . Add two links in proper GoHogs-speak next time and i'll give u an A.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ifghog

We will finish ahead of Bama and Ole Miss....we will sneak into the tourney if...we win at least 5 road games this year. We have to prove we can do that before we will even be considered I would suspect.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 17, 2013, 08:27:50 am
i'll give u a B+ . Add two links in proper GoHogs-speak next time and i'll give u an A.
Forgot to give a link showing a random quote that proves nothing, dammit. Good point, that was conspicuous by its absence.

cosmodrum

Our OOC schedule is a joke, and so is our conference. The SEC will get 4-5 teams in at MOST, and we'd need 24-25 wins to back our way in.

Go away, batin'

nextlevel

Quote from: Breems on October 17, 2013, 01:04:06 am

My favorite has long been the Mike Krywockeskihy comparison to Pel's first two seasons.

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

razorhead94

Our performance in Maui will be so important.  Hogs just need to navigate the SEC schedule and get some road wins.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

HoustonwehaveaProblem

You do realize that it has been 2,026 days since Arkansas has participated in a post season game, right? I would say the media have us right were we ought to be.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on October 17, 2013, 12:41:07 pm
My favorite has long been the Mike Krywockeskihy comparison to Pel's first two seasons.

The point remains the same, even today: Disappointment after two seasons while preaching patience to those the think Rome was built overnight.

In Pel's case, it didn't work. Pat yourself on the back.

HiggiePiggy

We better prove them wrong.  Our football team sucks.  I want to see some success some where.  This is basketball and our conference isn't the toughest like it is in football.  If we finish 8th then I will have to question Anderson's ability to get it done here.   And I am a huge Anderson fan.  I expect to be in the NCAA tournament this year.  If not then it was a failed season in my opinion. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Bowfishinghogfan

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 16, 2013, 02:30:13 pm
7th or 8th is about right.  We'll be mediocre for, what, the 12th year in a row?  ESPN needs to do a 30 for 30 documentary on whatever happened to Arkansas basketball.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

UNCLE BACK

We still have the same mediocre guards and we have some unproven big guys... id say 8th is fair but im hoping we gel as a team and we can get to 11 conference wins or so... I say 5th and a bubble team that has to win a SEC tourney game.

rude1

Let's see a team that couldn't win on the road loses it's top two players, don't think there is any legitimate arguing being voted 8th. New season, new opportunity to prove naysayers wrong.

la20688

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on October 17, 2013, 01:01:01 pm
You do realize that it has been 2,026 days since Arkansas has participated in a post season game, right? I would say the media have us right were we ought to be.
Sad but true. It's our players and Coach Anderson's job to prove them wrong. Hopefully something clicks this year, and we find that fighters mentality.

Fayettechill14

I think there are clear tiers:

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

4. LSU
5. Missouri
6. Alabama
7. Ole Miss
8. Arkansas

9. Texas A&M
10. Vanderbilt

11. Georgia
12. South Carolina
13. Mississippi State
14. Auburn

We're in Tier II.

Here's roughly how the schedule should shake out:

Tier I (1-3)
1. Kentucky (H, R)
2. Florida (H)
3. Tennessee (R)

Tier II (4-3)
4. LSU (H, R)
5. Missouri (H, R)
6. Alabama (H, R)
7. Ole Miss (H)
8. Arkansas

Tier III (1-1)
9. Texas A&M (R)
10. Vanderbilt (R)

Tier IV (5-0)
11. Georgia (H, R)
12. South Carolina (H)
13. Mississippi State (R)
14. Auburn (H)

No excuse to lose to a Tier IV team. The schedule gods hate us again, because we only get a double against one team ranked 9-14. We need a road win against against a Tier III team (both are road games). If we can win all the home/lose all the road against Tier II then I'm happy. If we can pull one home upset (both UK and Fla visit Fayetteville) I'll also be happy.

That's an 11-7 conference record. If we go 11-2 in OOC, then we're 22-9. Win a couple in the SECT, and we're dancing or close to it at 24-10.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 18, 2013, 01:15:44 am
I think there are clear tiers:

1. Kentucky
2. Florida
3. Tennessee

4. LSU
5. Missouri
6. Alabama
7. Ole Miss
8. Arkansas

9. Texas A&M
10. Vanderbilt

11. Georgia
12. South Carolina
13. Mississippi State
14. Auburn

We're in Tier II.

Here's roughly how the schedule should shake out:

Tier I (1-3)
1. Kentucky (H, R)
2. Florida (H)
3. Tennessee (R)

Tier II (4-3)
4. LSU (H, R)
5. Missouri (H, R)
6. Alabama (H, R)
7. Ole Miss (H)
8. Arkansas

Tier III (1-1)
9. Texas A&M (R)
10. Vanderbilt (R)

Tier IV (5-0)
11. Georgia (H, R)
12. South Carolina (H)
13. Mississippi State (R)
14. Auburn (H)

No excuse to lose to a Tier IV team. The schedule gods hate us again, because we only get a double against one team ranked 9-14. We need a road win against against a Tier III team (both are road games). If we can win all the home/lose all the road against Tier II then I'm happy. If we can pull one home upset (both UK and Fla visit Fayetteville) I'll also be happy.

That's an 11-7 conference record. If we go 11-2 in OOC, then we're 22-9. Win a couple in the SECT, and we're dancing or close to it at 24-10.
Excellent post

We desperately need to win in Athens and Starkville.