Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next year

Started by Tick Hog, October 07, 2013, 02:55:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tick Hog

I'm wondering from the wait til next year crowd why they feel this way. I don't ask to argue just to discuss. The way I see it is that BB will not win here until the defense allows him to do it. That's just not going to happen next year we will probably be even worse on that side of the ball with more youth. I think we have a good coach and a great staff but in my opinion this is going to take a while.

hogsanity

because this year is pretty much over. Next year should be better, but still think 7-5 is about tops next year.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MJ2

Hog fans live for next year.    It's been that way for generations.   Frank first promised it and we believed him.   Orville pointed us to it during the offseason and we bought into it.  Now we have ESPN and recruiting rankings and an occassional upset of a power house here and there and we're loaded on the next year truck and headed out. 

downsouthhawg72

I don't really know why everybody thinks our D-Line will be worse next year when the Young guys that's their right now is playing better the the SR's we have. Philon & Hodge is probably playing better right now than Jones & Thomas. The only person we might miss the most is Flowers & Philon is on the verge of starting right now.
DownSouthHawg

superior_wang

(assuming this is  the actual schedule)

2014 Arkansas Razorbacks Football Schedule

Aug. 30   Tigers   at Auburn Tigers   L
Sept. 6   Colonels   Nicholls State Colonels W
Sept. 13   Red Raiders   at Texas Tech Red Raiders  L
Sept. 20   Huskies   Northern Illinois Huskies  W
Sept. 27   Aggies   Texas A&M Aggies    W
Oct. 4   ---   Open Date   ---   ---
Saturday
Oct. 11   Crimson Tide   Alabama Crimson Tide L
Oct. 18   Bulldogs   Georgia Bulldogs              L
Oct. 25   Blazers   UAB Blazers    W
Nov. 1   Bulldogs   at Mississippi State Bulldogs    W
Nov. 8   ---   Open Date   ---   ---
Nov. 15   Tigers   LSU Tigers   L
Nov. 22   Rebels   Ole Miss Rebels  L
Nov. 29   Tigers   at Missouri Tigers  W

Felt like being generous. 6-6. Shreveport v Ar State Wolfpack.

dang,  somebody wake me for 2015

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: superior_wang on October 07, 2013, 04:25:47 pm

Saturday

Im hoping our O is much better

HogScoutMaster

We need some corners and we need some recievers.

I think our D looks better than the previous 2 years but we are not fast at the corners.

Obviously we need people to catch the ball.  SPEED SPEED SPEED is what we need
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

HogCaller13

Quote from: hogsanity on October 07, 2013, 03:00:31 pm
because this year is pretty much over. Next year should be better, but still think 7-5 is about tops next year.
How about 2015 record?
Respect Your Opponent, But Fear None!!! #1-0 WPS

FelixJonesorDMAC?

I think it will be year 3.  Anybody who thought we were gonna be a contender this year is either really mentally challenged or just a blind homer.  We have a 1st year QB, and a freshman RB and 2nd year back up RB, 2 Freshman on the OL, a linebacker core with no experience and a completely new coaching staff coaching players recruited for a completely different philosophy.  It's actually not that hard to figure out.  With experience and solid recruiting for this style of play we will be good in a few years.  Next year 7-8 wins the year after 9-10. 

HogCaller13

Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on October 07, 2013, 04:35:51 pm
I think it will be year 3.  Anybody who thought we were gonna be a contender this year is either really mentally challenged or just a blind homer.  We have a 1st year QB, and a freshman RB and 2nd year back up RB, 2 Freshman on the OL, a linebacker core with no experience and a completely new coaching staff coaching players recruited for a completely different philosophy.  It's actually not that hard to figure out.  With experience and solid recruiting for this style of play we will be good in a few years.  Next year 7-8 wins the year after 9-10.
When is our 12-0 year gonna happen?
Respect Your Opponent, But Fear None!!! #1-0 WPS

hogcoots

Quote from: HogCaller13 on October 07, 2013, 04:41:14 pm
When is our 12-0 year gonna happen?

Since 1958, we have achieved an undefeated season a grand total of one time.

HiggiePiggy

Next year sets up better for us schedule wise.  I think we win 7 maybe 8. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Tripod1

I'm 63 and sadly that term has been used way too much in my lifetime.  Time is not on my side!

superior_wang

Quote from: Tripod1 on October 07, 2013, 04:56:39 pm
I'm 63 and sadly that term has been used way too much in my lifetime.  Time is not on my side!

Im 43 and not expecting to see an SEC championship in my lifetime either.

sportster365

Quote from: tick hog on October 07, 2013, 02:55:46 pm
I'm wondering from the wait til next year crowd why they feel this way. I don't ask to argue just to discuss. The way I see it is that BB will not win here until the defense allows him to do it. That's just not going to happen next year we will probably be even worse on that side of the ball with more youth. I think we have a good coach and a great staff but in my opinion this is going to take a while.

The defense hasn't been the problem. It's been the poor play at QB.

Tick Hog

Quote from: sportster365 on October 07, 2013, 05:10:48 pm
We will just have to agree to disagree here. A@M could have scored 70 if they wanted to they chose to practice there run game instead. Auburn and Ole Miss both will beat this secondary like a drum. Of course this is just my opinion and ya know what they say about those.

I keep seeing post that we have a good chance against Auburn and Ole Miss and think that's who I'm more afraid of due to their coaches ability to take advantage of poor defensive play. It's the teams like Florida and South Carolina that let you hang around that you can sneak up on

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: superior_wang on October 07, 2013, 05:08:46 pm

I am 32 and don't think I will ever see a SEC championship/nc in football. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

sportster365

Quote from: tick hog on October 07, 2013, 05:37:01 pm
We will just have to agree to disagree here. A@M could have scored 70 if they wanted to they chose to practice there run game instead. Auburn and Ole Miss both will beat this secondary like a drum. Of course this is just my opinion and ya know what they say about those.

I keep seeing post that we have a good chance against Auburn and Ole Miss and think that's who I'm more afraid of due to their coaches ability to take advantage of poor defensive play. It's the teams like Florida and South Carolina that let you hang around that you can sneak up on

Week after week our defense has given our Offense an opportunity to take a lead or get us back in the game. We've struggled mightily to move the ball in the 2nd half offensively.

Fayettechill14

I'm not so sure. Offense should be tremendously improved next year. I'm talking 2008 to 2009 improved.

Defense remains a question mark. Here's what we're looking in on the depth chart (returning starters in CAPS)

DE Deatrich Wise
DT Darius Philon
DT DeMarcus Hodge
DE TREY FLOWERS
Backups: DE Jamichael Winston, DT Bijhon Jackson, DT Ke'Tyrus Marks, DE Brandon Lewis

LB BRAYLON MITCHELL
LB OTHA PETERS
LB Martrell Spaight
Backups: Dante Carr, Myke Tavarres, AJ Turner, Brooks Ellis, Sharieff Rhaheed (?)

CB TEVIN MITCHEL
CB WILL HINES
FS Tiquention Coleman/DJ Dean
SS ROHAN GAINES
Backups: S Alan Turner, CB Jared Collins, CB Davyon McKinney, CB Carroll Washington

Philon, Wise, and Spaight are already contributing on a high level. Losing Smith and the DTs does hurt, but if those linebackers improve under Shannon's coaching, I have a hard time believing that this defense won't at least be slightly better.

MJ2

We've learned over the years not to assume that the underclassment on the current team will even be here in 1, 2, or 3 years.    To many things happen to take it's toll on the #'s.   Injuries, arrests, homesickness, not willing to wait to play, etc.

oldman1015

Quote from: sportster365 on October 07, 2013, 05:10:48 pm
we have been watching two different teams.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

sportster365

Quote from: oldman1015 on October 08, 2013, 10:05:51 am
we have been watching two different teams.

If our QBs complete passes and stop turning the ball over we'd see different outcomes. You can't win any games by punting the ball.

oldman1015

yep the qb is giving up an average of over 34 points the last 3 games.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

superior_wang

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 07, 2013, 05:41:17 pm
I am 32 and don't think I will ever see a SEC championship/nc in football.

do i hear  a 20 something? lol

1960'sHogFan

No 20, really 60, at least I got to see the good days in the 60's.

I still believe we could win a NC, but not in my lifetime!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: oldman1015 on October 08, 2013, 01:19:49 pm
yep the qb is giving up an average of over 34 points the last 3 games.

Neither is the defense. The QB has given up 14 points in the last two games, and the special teams have given up 7 more.

dandd TD

I think the qb situation is hurting us harder right now than our defense. Nothing against Allen, he just doesn't have the tools. If anyone honestly thinks T a&m COULD have scored more and dindnt because they were working on their run game, then that person needs to seek medical, physiatric help. You must be insane to think T a&m could have scored 70 if they wanted to, and just chose not to. Believe me, they wanted to!! For the record, I am 35 and I do believe I will see a National Championship in my lifetime. I think we will have the possibility to see a sec championship in the next 4 years.(3 actually)!! Some call me crazy, dont care. Just make sure you call me a Razorback fan!

jcul28

Other than AnM, the D hasn't given up a ton of yardage.  They keep us in games, QB play has been horrid.  Allen was actually decent against AnM but that INT on the first possession of the 2nd half killed all hope.  You go from cutting into the lead, getting the ball to start the 2nd half with the offense being able to move it and then make a bad decision.  Same thing with AnM.  He flushed himself when he should have just stayed in the pocket.  He's young and kind of inexperienced but he still can't make mental mistakes like that against top notch D's.  I think next year could be a turn around year for the Hogs.  I do believe the D will continue to be better and I think Allen and the O will be able to run the ball.  Need someone to step up at Receiver.  HH can't be the loan man out there.  Record wise, who knows?  I do believe Alabama will be a 2-3 loss team, Georiga will be a 2-3 loss team, AnM will be down, and LSU will be down.  Texas Tech and Auburn(as much as I hate to say it) as well as Ole Miss will be the 3 teams I worry the most about.  I truly believe that next year, maybe not in our favor but there will be a "changing of the guard" in the SEC.  If Allen and the Receiving corp improve, it could very well be the Razorbacks taking that throne.

scarolinahog

ME TOO AND ME EITHER
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

HogFoo

Quote from: DewUar88 on October 07, 2013, 04:34:34 pm
We need some corners and we need some recievers.

I think our D looks better than the previous 2 years but we are not fast at the corners.

Obviously we need people to catch the ball.  SPEED SPEED SPEED is what we need
Its not that we are not fast at the corners, we just don't have enough players.  we lack depth.  so we have to play a zone which pretty much gives a huge cushion to some of the WRs.  they'll just go find a spot and camp out and if our DL doesn't get to the QB they get the ball. 

We just need more quality depth.  Which, if everyone would go look at who we are recruiting and who we are trying to get and who we have recruited, they would see that the coaches know that as well.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFoo

I believe BB knows what he's doing.  I don't know about the ''wait till next year'' comments but it takes about 3 yrs on average to get a team going.  That is unless you go to a team  and run the exact same offense that they have already been running and if they already had talent on that team.  A coach can just step in and things don't really slow down.  Look at Oregon. 

With BP, the cupboard was pretty empty for his style of offense so he had to play a lot of freshmen.  BP finally had his offense where he was wanting it in his 3rd year and so he was then trying to focus on the defense.  That's when he had his problems and got fired.  In steps BB.  Although there was talent on the team when he got here there isn't enough on the team to run his style of offense.  So he is trying to make due with what he has. 

The team isn't bad.  They've actually been in every game theyve played so far and came close to winning those games. With this style of offense I don't think that they will get blown out by anyone this year. And I can still see the Hogs making a bowl game. 

I don't think that we will be a top10 team next year.  But, I figure by year 3 we will. You win in the SEC by getting great OL/DL players.  That's what Coach B is doing.  He's going after the big uglies.  And then trying to fill in around them.  The only player the hogs lose on the OL next year is Swanson. We are starting two freshmen on the OL and we are going to be set for years with those guys.  Skipper and Kirkland are studs!  Henry is a stud.  Our RB's are studs.  we are set there.  I think Allen will be much better next year simply because I don't think he is healthy yet.  I think he just isn't telling the coaches that he is still hurt. 

Our DL will miss Smith. But I think flowers comes back.  Wise, Lewis philon, hodge, add in b.jackson (cause I think he'll get a lot of playing time early)  perhaps frazier , watts, and if we can get Solomon Thomas to come he may vie for a starting position right away.  Cant really look ahead to next years starters yet because we may have an influx of recruits from this new class that could start.  Especially at the LB position. Can only speculate.    I think our WR's will be better.  Hawkins, Hatcher, cowans, the kid that got hurt.  He would have probably been the starter.   I myself never had faith in Horton and Herndon as being starters. 

Next year, I believe will be better than this year, probably 8-9 wins (with a bowl)  and by the time these freshmen right now are JR's.  After having spent 3yrs with this staff and under the eye of Herbert. I think BB's 3rd team, as I've said all along will be a top 5 team.  It just takes time.  Yeah, we will probably be close in most every game we play this year.  And that's good.  It gives everyone hope of what's to come.  Just can't get overly excited or disappointed with wins or losses this year.  Just have to be patient.

Relax.  It'll be ok.  We have perhaps the best coaching staff/recruiters that have ever been here.  Just let them do their job.  We will be back.  I think coach B is here for the long term.  I don't foresee any motorcycle accidents and blondes in his future as with BP.  I don't predict any flirting with LSU or Nebraska or with donna bragg. haha...   

Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

razorbackkid

Health concerns......next year may not come for this Hog fan.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Hogwild

Quote from: superior_wang on October 07, 2013, 04:25:47 pm

Saturday

so in 2015 we have LSU, Bama, UGA, Ole Miss, & A&M away from Fayetteville?

urkillnmesmalls

When you say, "Wait til next year" doesn't really matter does it?  You can say it after the first practice, or you can say it with :03 seconds on the clock in the NC game when the opponent is kneeling to finish the game.  Either way, there are 119 programs that will say, "Wait til next year" with regard to winning a NC. 

If the only enjoyment you get from watching Razorback football is the threat of winning another NC, then you should expect disappointment.  I guess the good news is that realistically, we're one of about 25 or so schools that start each year with a shot at the elusive prize, and that's better than almost 100 others.  As Frank would say, "Based on pootenshule." 

However, we're not even close right now.  If your expectation is anything other than moving closer, based on where we are right now, then I would question why you're even on this board, or why you are even a Hog fan.  If you want to root for a proven winner, than there are plenty of other options...Yankees, Notre Dame, Bama, Kentucky in BB...etc.

You gotta have a strong neck to keep your chin up as a Hog fan at times, but I'll be a Hog fan if we have losing seasons for the next five years in a row.  I can't help it.       

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Smokehouse

I'm generally a pessimistic guy but even I think this is a little too gloomy. Hell, we probably would have had an SEC championship in 2006 with anyone other than TCTWF in charge. It'll happen.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.