Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: Dialed into bow season now

Started by Albert Einswine, September 29, 2013, 10:58:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert Einswine

September 29, 2013, 10:58:53 pm Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:44:37 pm by Albert Einswine
Until the last couple of days, and now I'm getting the itch.  Gonna take a few shots with the recurve next couple of days and head out to the farm in the morning and have a look at my stands (never pulled 'em down from last year) and read the sign. I'll be out there Tuesday and Wednesday hanging out in the trees.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

Double lunged a fat doe with my recurve at 10:37 this morning. She maybe made it 30 yards and was down in no more than 15 seconds, probably breathed her last in less than a minute. I've had some quick kills, but I think this was the quickest. Will post a couple of pics later.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Albert Einswine

Alright, the first image is a ground shot and doesn't look like much, ground shots on a camera phone rarely ever do. The second shot lends a better perspective to the quality of the doe. She's nice little heifer.

[attachment deleted by admin]

dmacs_wife

Nice. I've always wanted to try and give recurve a try.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: dmacs_wife on October 08, 2013, 08:19:40 pm
Nice. I've always wanted to try and give recurve a try.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread and the atlatl. :)

longbore

Backstrap. It's what's for dinner. Congrats.

Albert Einswine

hogcoots

Albert Einswine

Albert Einswine

Also, I've gotta confess I didn't make it out last week on opening day, or the day after. In fact today is the first day I've been out this season. So for a 2 1/2 hour investment I've got one in the freezer. Not a bad start. 8)

grayhawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 08, 2013, 09:42:31 pm
Also, I've gotta confess I didn't make it out last week on opening day, or the day after. In fact today is the first day I've been out this season. So for a 2 1/2 hour investment I've got one in the freezer. Not a bad start. 8)
Good job, all I've bagged so far is a load of seed ticks.

FORTVEGAS

Looks great, I bagged a doe Sunday morning, my second with a bow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ifghog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 08, 2013, 06:53:33 pm
Alright, the first image is a ground shot and doesn't look like much, ground shots on a camera phone rarely ever do. The second shot lends a better perspective to the quality of the doe. She's nice little heifer.
Congrats!! I am looking for her twin in the morning!

hogpride82

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 08, 2013, 03:15:02 pm
Double lunged a fat doe with my recurve at 10:37 this morning. She maybe made it 30 yards and was down in no more than 15 seconds, probably breathed her last in less than a minute. I've had some quick kills, but I think this was the quickest. Will post a couple of pics later.

Congrats, Al. Nothing better than a fat nanny. I've been ate up at work lately but hope to get out there this weekend and put a couple in the freezer.

Albert Einswine

Good luck to all of y'all, my good fortune yesterday allows me to come home to Arkansas pressure free this coming Sunday for a week spent fly fishing with a high school buddy for 3 days, a couple of days for visiting my sister in Little Rock and some time with my grandkids and my grandon's 3rd birthday party before I head back up to Indiana. I always start to get fidgety when I go too deep into bow season without success.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on October 09, 2013, 06:53:33 am
Looks great, I bagged a doe Sunday morning, my second with a bow.

Nice work FORT, second this season?

FORTVEGAS

No just my second with a Bow, got my first Bow kill last year

Albert Einswine

Well congrats, man! It's the only satisfying way for me to hunt anymore. Taking them with the bow gives me a euphoria and sense of accomplishment killing with a gun never delivered.

82abn Ard

Nice Doe AE  I'm going out this weekend for the urban hunt here in MO

Albert Einswine

RazorBassin

Bowfishinghogfan

Props for killing one old school style. I've killed almost every animal that walks in N America with a bow but I have to have sights and a range finder. Respect goes out to instinctive shooters

Hudge

Congrats on the doe and very impressive with the recurve.  One thing I miss about not living in AR, is whitetail hunting.  Granted we have lots of big game to hunt to in AK, but I cut my teeth deer hunting and miss it a lot.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hudge on October 20, 2013, 12:42:34 am
Congrats on the doe and very impressive with the recurve.  One thing I miss about not living in AR, is whitetail hunting.  Granted we have lots of big game to hunt to in AK, but I cut my teeth deer hunting and miss it a lot.

I found hunting blacktails to be more fun than whitetails as I never hunted them from a blind or treestand.  We'd hunt deer in August, take Sep-Oct off for goat/caribou/moose, than go back to deer in Nov-Jan.  I'm usually depressed in AR for a hunting season if I can't go hunt more than just deer.  Plenty of great deer hunting up there if you're close enough to the coast.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

HuntinHog

Crazy October, first hunt of the season in the morning.  I don't care what walks in front of me, something will be shot.

Albert Einswine

Good luck! I'm working 12 today and 12 tomorrow then off 3 straight that I intend to hunt intensely. Gotta maximize early archery up here before it gets too cold and before the shotgun hunters take to the woods.