Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UCA linebacker suspended for giving excess money to brother so his brother could afford textbooks

Started by cmiller01, September 27, 2013, 10:08:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ballz2thewall

that is indeed unfortunate.  if reported accurately it is good example of the masses being ruled by the lowest common denominator.  i'm not referring to the athlete as the denominator.
The rest of the frog.

ShadowTheHedgehog

The NCAA is like the United Nations. At some point it may have been a good idea but today its just a mess, bureaucracy, corruption and stupid rules abound and they care more about themselves than the athlete they are supposed to protect and represent.

nextlevel

Alabama had to vacate games and go on probation for athletes selling back textbooks that were paid for by scholarship money.

Mike Vick was said to pay for his lil bro an expensive car, jewelry, and clothes while he as at VT and that was OK.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

micali

That is just horse crap!  I can understand the rule but man that stinks.  Give him a game or two but indefinitely, come on.

nextlevel

Quote from: micali on September 27, 2013, 10:23:43 am
That is just horse crap!  I can understand the rule but man that stinks.  Give him a game or two but indefinitely, come on.

Yeah, in this instance that is crap, but it is in place to keep teams like Bama signing a couple kids from very high income families who pay for their school and then distribute all their scholarship money to the star RB, QB, WR, etc.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Vantage 8 dude

So let me get this straight: A UCA player gets suspended for this and Budda's mom couldn't be provided means of getting to the Hill to check things out before he finally signed with us (thereby creating the crazy scenario last NSD) BUT (allegedly) OSU can provide drugs, "female entertainment", possible grade changing/"assistance" and other supposed financial inducements to recruits and players but everything is pretty much laughed off? Yep, the NCAA kind of reminds me of an idiot who uses a cannon to kill a mouse while hunting elephants with a pea shooter.

linkshog

I talked with a very wealthy booster the other day that said he has some agents in his circle that were looking into "sponsoring" kids who are walk ons, until they can gain a scholarship, in return for payback plus some after school from their signing bonuses.  I don't think there is anything preventing that.  The school doesn't care where the money comes from to pay for a kid to attend school as long as the check clears.  This wouldn't apply if the kid is on scholarship for athletics.  Interesting idea.  Although most "invited walkons" aren't usually NFL players but whos to say they couldn't place a highly recrutied kid into a walk on status.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

NCAHog

Very unfortunate situation for that guy. Hope he gets cleared sooner then later. I understand the rule but seems like a crappy ruling.

grumpypenguin

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 27, 2013, 11:17:59 am
Yes, that would be against NCAA rules.

And any agent dumb enough A) think a walk-on will get an NFL signing bonus and B) tell somebody his plan must not be a very smart in the first place.

I'm sure JJ Watt got a nice NFL signing bonus

nextlevel

ell oh ell

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

Hogwop

Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

jmb1973

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 27, 2013, 12:51:06 pm
What percentage of walk-ones make it to the NFL, let alone get a signing bonus large enough to risk an agent's career?

Don't you dare use logic or laws of probability!

nextlevel

Quote from: the_kosher_pig on September 27, 2013, 01:23:45 pm
Wasn't Hocker a walk on? 

No, Petrino didn't offer him a scholarship until NSD, because he is excellent at talent evaluations like that.

ell oh ell

Chestodrawers

What keeps a rich/powerful booster from doing this on his on? Just approach a 4/5 star recruit and say I would like for you to enroll in the UofX. And go walk-on the football team.  Coach soandso is expecting you.  I'll have someone meet you there to pay your fees. By the way I have a job for your mother, she'll work from home. She'll be making 750.00 per week, cash.  Would there be anything illegal about that.

kingofdequeen

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Here's an image you may like.  I removed the background, made it transparent, filled in some of the outline, darkened the red up closer to cardinal red and just cleaned it up.

I'd love to roll out a line of retro merchandise but F the CLC and their stranglehold on the little guy just trying to bootstrap a lil something something.

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

FATHAWG08

I love off season Football!!

Kenny Hawgins

Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Hogwop

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 27, 2013, 05:27:04 pm
Here's an image you may like.  I removed the background, made it transparent, filled in some of the outline, darkened the red up closer to cardinal red and just cleaned it up.

I'd love to roll out a line of retro merchandise but F the CLC and their stranglehold on the little guy just trying to bootstrap a lil something something.

Looks great man, nice work! Saving this to be one of my backgrounds
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

jesterzzn

Quote from: linkshog on September 27, 2013, 10:50:35 am
I talked with a very wealthy booster the other day that said...

Two Possibilities here:

No you didn't.
No he didn't.

I'm leaning towards the first.

linkshog

Quote from: Chestodrawers on September 27, 2013, 02:20:18 pm
       What keeps a rich/powerful booster from doing this on his on? Just approach a 4/5 star recruit and say I would like for you to enroll in the UofX. And go walk-on the football team.  Coach soandso is expecting you.  I'll have someone meet you there to pay your fees. By the way I have a job for your mother, she'll work from home. She'll be making 750.00 per week, cash.  Would there be anything illegal about that.

This is what they were talking about. A coach can distribute the scholarships the way he sees fit. If a kid can get into the school without using an athletic scholarship, it shouldn't matter who pays for it. No different than a "normal" student.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

GoHogs1091

UCA should be okay.  The Depth Chart in their Game Notes for their last game shows that Justin Heard's back-up, D.J. Holland, has played in all 4 games this season, and Holland has 11 Total Tackles this season (Heard has 20 Total Tackles this season).  Holland played in 8 games last season after redshirting his Freshman year (he is a Redshirt Sophomore).  Size wise, Holland is only 1 lb. lighter than Heard, and both are 6'1". 

Holland was an All-District selection at North Crawley High School in Fort Worth, TX.  He was a three year letterman in football, and he was North Crawley High School's Team MVP in 2010 and also a Team Captain.  Holland had 80 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 pass breakups, and 2 forced fumbles in 2010 at North Crawley.   

ballz2thewall

Quote from: ScottFaldon on September 27, 2013, 03:57:31 pm
Yes, that would be a violation of several NCAA rules.

this has been busted over years at various places.  the poster probably meant to suggest it as a difficult maneuver to discover.
The rest of the frog.

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 27, 2013, 11:06:05 pm
UCA should be okay.  The Depth Chart in their Game Notes for their last game shows that Justin Heard's back-up, D.J. Holland, has played in all 4 games this season, and Holland has 11 Total Tackles this season (Heard has 20 Total Tackles this season).  Holland played in 8 games last season after redshirting his Freshman year (he is a Redshirt Sophomore).  Size wise, Holland is only 1 lb. lighter than Heard, and both are 6'1". 

Holland was an All-District selection at North Crawley High School in Fort Worth, TX.  He was a three year letterman in football, and he was North Crawley High School's Team MVP in 2010 and also a Team Captain.  Holland had 80 tackles, 2 interceptions, 3 pass breakups, and 2 forced fumbles in 2010 at North Crawley.   
Not the point.