Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin just destroyed all you fake fans

Started by grumpypenguin, September 24, 2013, 01:05:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

go hogues

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.   
Some of you act like you have not figured Hogsanity out. He will ALWAYS take the counter argument to any thread started. He's been doing it since at least 2006.

And Mike's right, our stadium experience sucks compared to most every other stadium in the SEC. I have yet to be at a visiting SEC school where people sit down as much as at RRS/WMS.

In fact, at Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Fla, even MSU, etc. they might as well not even have the seats, as no one sits the ENTIRE game. And by the way, their fans fill the stadium for EVERY home game, regardless the opponent, weather or price.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

kingofdequeen

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 02:19:36 pm
yep, the pregame activities when no one else is paying attention, usually they are out trying to down a couple last hits of booze, the band at half time, and the postgame.

hits of booze?

where'd you learn that cheech?  drug school?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: go hogues on September 24, 2013, 02:20:39 pm
Some of you act like you have not figured Hogsanity out. He will ALWAYS take the counter argument to any thread started. He's been doing it since at least 2006.

And Mike's right, our stadium experience sucks compared to most every other stadium in the SEC. I have yet to be at a visiting SEC school where people sit down as much as at RRS/WMS.

In fact, at Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Fla, even MSU, etc. they might as well not even have the seats, as no one sits the ENTIRE game. And by the way, their fans fill the stadium for EVERY home game, regardless the opponent, weather or price.

i try not to ever sit...i get leered at from all directions. 

not my fault.  stand up.

arkbadger

Quote from: go hogues on September 24, 2013, 02:20:39 pm

you had a solid point going, until you got to the Mississippi State part.  they rarely sell out their stadium
You can keep that skoal baby.

tophawg19

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 24, 2013, 02:09:40 pm
Agreed. Fans who sit down bother me.

The problem is that we as fans still have that "Showtime" mentality of Petrino. No one gets loud when a RB gains four yards. As exciting as that was it's gone now, and driving down the field needs to pump our fans up to help demoralize the defense.
if you didn't pay for their tickets then it's not your buisness how they enjoy the game . you only paid for your seats . you have no idea whether they have a health condition or just prefer sitting. you can cheer while sitting . you assume your way is the right way , just because you like it. i agree with getting into the game but take care of you and let them be , or offer them their ticket price back if they stand and cheer . i'll bet that would get them up. they paid for their seat and it's their right to use it. their is a reason the U OF A SELLS SEATS AND NOT STANDING AREAS . 
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kingofdequeen

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2013, 02:23:58 pm
if you didn't pay for their tickets then it's not your buisness how they enjoy the game . you only paid for your seats . you have no idea whether they have a health condition or just prefer sitting. you can cheer while sitting . you assume your way is the right way , just because you like it. i agree with getting into the game but take care of you and let them be , or offer them their ticket price back if they stand and cheer . i'll bet that would get them up. they paid for their seat and it's their right to use it. their is a reason the U OF A SELLS SEATS AND NOT STANDING AREAS . 

the guy sitting next to me (and on half my damn chairback) had a condition alright...it's called mainlining bacon grease for a few decades. 

should DEF have to buy 2 seats, especially if you take up 2 and a half.

tophawg19

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:25:07 pm
the guy sitting next to me (and on half my damn chairback) had a condition alright...it's called mainlining bacon grease for a few decades. 

those areas can get tight for sure

hogsanity

This just is more of people trying to define what a "real" fan is.  If it is only those who go to all the home games, stand the whole time, yell at the top of their lungs ( usually when we have the ball which is just stupid ), wear 5 different pieces of hog clothing, and a hog hat.  Well, then the Hogs have about 30K actual "real" fans.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

arkbadger

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:25:07 pm

that's where I would draw the line.  I won't pay for seat backs, but if I did I guarantee no one is creeping there muffin top onto it, that is kind of the whole point of the seat back.
You can keep that skoal baby.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogcods8 on September 24, 2013, 02:05:04 pm
I agree with the others who say that Mike has no business telling me how to act at a game. He sits in an air conditioned press box. I prefer to sit, and stand on 3rd downs and other tense moments. I pay the price for a ticket, so therefore I reserve the right to sit when I want. If he has a problem with it, oh well. I dont give a %$&*%?. I get really get tired of some of these goofballs who define what a "true" fan really is.

I haven't been in the press box for years. I'm either on the field or on the photo deck shooting. If it's raining I get wet just like anybody in the stands. When it was 95 for the season opener I was out there in the heat.

It is my job to be there and I have to be there or I don't get paid but I don't leave because the weather is hot or cold or its raining or because of a lightning delay.

You can reject the message. You can shoot the messenger but the truth is the truth. A sizeable number of Razorback fans in NWA are affected by weather both at RRS and Baum Stadium.

There is also a greater percentage of politically correct fans at RRS as opposed to WMS.
At the 2010 Alabama game a fan I know stood up to boo 'Bama as they came onto the field. He was told by several people around him to sit down and act like he had some manners. I have heard countless stories like this over the years and I have witnessed some similar incidents.

Michael Smith related this from the 2009 LSU game. LSU won a close game in OT. Their fans were still ticked off about the upset from 2008 in LR. Several of their fans confronted the players on the way to the bus after the game. They wanted to fight Arkansas players. It took some cops to separate them from Arkansas players.

Once on the bus an O-Lineman threw his backpack against a window almost breaking it. The other players assumed he was mad about the LSU fans until he said, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FANS LIKE THAT? THEY WERE WILLING TO FIGHT US FOR THEIR TEAM. THEY WEREN'T SCARED OF US.

I'm not telling any of you what to do. You can buy tickets and sit at home if it rains or if it's hot. You can get mad and complain if the guy in front of you stands up. That's your business. But when I hear fans complaining because Arkansas is not a top tier SEC team I'm always reminded that something like that cuts both ways.

I hope the bad weather predicted for the game doesn't happen. If it does I hope people won't stay home and watch on TV when they have tickets. If there's a rain delay I hope thousands don't go home.

We'll see what happens.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 24, 2013, 02:37:27 pm

I haven't been in the press box for years. I'm either on the field or on the photo deck shooting. If it's raining I get wet just like anybody in the stands. When it was 95 for the season opener I was out there in the heat.

It is my job to be there and I have to be there or I don't get paid but I don't leave because the weather is hot or cold or its raining or because of a lightning delay.

You can reject the message. You can shoot the messenger but the truth is the truth. A sizeable number of Razorback fans in NWA are affected by weather both at RRS and Baum Stadium.

There is also a greater percentage of politically correct fans at RRS as opposed to WMS.
At the 2010 Alabama game a fan I know stood up to boo 'Bama as they came onto the field. He was told by several people around him to sit down and act like he had some manners. I have heard countless stories like this over the years and I have witnessed some similar incidents.

Michael Smith related this from the 2009 LSU game. LSU won a close game in OT. Their fans were still ticked off about the upset from 2008 in LR. Several of their fans confronted the players on the way to the bus after the game. They wanted to fight Arkansas players. It took some cops to separate them from Arkansas players.

Once on the bus an O-Lineman threw his backpack against a window almost breaking it. The other players assumed he was mad about the LSU fans until he said, WHY CAN'T WE HAVE FANS LIKE THAT? THEY WERE WILLING TO FIGHT US FOR THEIR TEAM. THEY WEREN'T SCARED OF US.

I'm not telling any of you what to do. You can buy tickets and sit at home if it rains or if it's hot. You can get mad and complain if the guy in front of you stands up. That's your business. But when I hear fans complaining because Arkansas is not a top tier SEC team I'm always reminded that something like that cuts both ways.

I hope the bad weather predicted for the game doesn't happen. If it does I hope people won't stay home and watch on TV when they have tickets. If there's a rain delay I hope thousands don't go home.

We'll see what happens.

Nailed it. Agree wholeheartedly

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 24, 2013, 02:37:27 pmI haven't been in the press box for years. I'm either on the field or on the photo deck shooting. If it's raining I get wet just like anybody in the stands. When it was 95 for the season opener I was out there in the heat.

We'll see what happens.

in all honesty, most those fans get called "drunks" and looked down at.

i used to go to games with a group of grad students from around the sec...Tenner fan here, FL fan, couple from GA and Bama, 3 aubbies, and 2 LSU fans, plus 3 from UT-Austin.

They basically thought our fanbase was pussified, and got their heads down when thinking about it.  It's gross how much our fans don't get up for games like other programs'.

I've spoken AT LENGTH with a not-to-be-mentioned media mod on this site who's an alumnus of another SEC school.  he'd laugh at us if it weren't for how sad it was, and the fact that he's a hog fan now. 

Anderson

We'll see what happens.

excuse me if my education and societal status prevent me from getting drunk on meister brau and trying to fight 18 year old football players...

NWARazor

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 24, 2013, 01:22:53 pm
if ANY team should suffer the wrath of the Arkansas fans this year it is AGGY....they beat us 58-10 and was trying to score until the very end....we REALLY need this game as it would put an end to Johnny Football's legend but more importantly give our coaching staff open doors to recruiting Texas....RIGHT NOW, AS I TYPE, and into this December, there will NEVER be an easier time to get top shelf Texas High school talent...so 72,000 hillbillies who will be at the game this Saturday, remind 2013 AGGY what a terrible beating that 1975 AGGY (ranked #2 and undefeated) because of the fans and players working in concert....in other words, we need, deserve, want our "TEDDY BARNES" moment...come on Hog fans, let's turn back the hands of time
Agree... was there at the '75 game!
Because it's Everything Texas isn't; Better than Ole Miss; a Northerner's Dream and a Southerner's Wish; the Pride of Arkansas; The Ultimate College Experience; Wooooo Pig Sooie; Old Main; LSU's Worst Nightmare; And a Place That Can Get In Your Blood and Stay Forever...

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 02:41:31 pm
excuse me if my education and societal status prevent me from getting drunk on meister brau and trying to fight 18 year old football players...

all my SEC friends with doctorates think you're a puthy.

PonderinHog

kingofdequeen

Anderson

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:43:35 pm
all my SEC friends with doctorates think you're a puthy.

getting punched in the face does not feel good.  2 black eyes and broken nose not a good look.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 02:45:20 pm
getting punched in the face does not feel good.  2 black eyes and broken nose not a good look.

dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge.

Anderson

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:46:41 pm
dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge.

it's the ones you don't see that get you.  i'll just let mike Irwin handle the lineman, i'll take the placekicker.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 02:48:33 pm
it's the ones you don't see that get you.  i'll just let mike Irwin handle the lineman, i'll take the placekicker.

i plan on cut-blocking the backup backup qb.  they all look like clark irwin, right?

Who is our Coach?

I can understand Mike's post, but his anecdote cuts both ways.  The Hogs haven't won consistently the way LSU has over the past 10-12 years.  And while sure, it would be great if fans supported good ole State U through thick times and thin, with every game on TV, 60 inch HDTVs, the donations you have to make to even get the privilege of paying exorbitant prices for tickets, and all the things that have been sacrificed or done for the almighty TV dollars, we can agree or disagree, but the fans want to win and win consistently.  When the Hogs have been good, the crowds have been good.  When the Hogs haven't been good, the crowds haven't been good.  I have seen a lot of empty seats in SEC stadiums this year at all venues.  Before LSU enjoyed a great decade plus run under Saban and Miles, their crowd was not the feared "Saturday Night in Death Valley" crowd every single Saturday night. 

I am a season ticket holder, donor, and attend every game.  And I agree, the atmosphere at RRS is usually lacking, and it's hard to put my finger on why, even when we are good and winning.  But to lay everything at the fans' feet when we were awful last year, not much is expected this year, and maybe not even next year, despite the fact that we are continually asked to pony up more money, is hard to accept. 

Anderson

I just love that a 60 year old newscaster type is encouraging fans to drink themselves silly and fistfight the opposing team.  responsible journalism if ever there was any.

Who is our Coach?

To clarify, when the U of A and the SEC sell out for the TV money and puts every game on TV, makes you donate a hefty amount to be able to buy tickets to see the field, jacks up the ticket prices, then people wonder what's up with the crowd, it seems like the question answers itself. 

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

:(
Quote from: grumpypenguin on September 24, 2013, 01:13:50 pm
if you wanna watch the game like its some kind of high class cocktail party then take yourself and those floral panties back to the house and watch it on the couch
That what's going on in the club section. Get your damn nachos with the extra cheese, let your kids run around like they do at a HS game, etc.

Expos22

We'll see what happens.
LOL you act like you want our fans trying to fight the opposing players

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

Quote from: kingofdequeen on September 24, 2013, 02:49:43 pm
i plan on cut-blocking the backup backup qb.  they all look like clark irwin, right?
Love the avatar.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: hogsanity on September 24, 2013, 01:11:43 pm
being in a stadium for 4 hours with some drunk behind you, or some guy griping about every play call infront of you, or some 6'5" guy standing the whole game in front of your kid can kae it the longest 3hrs of YOUR life.   

HA...

You better hope to God you never go to a game in Baton Rouge...

Anderson

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:00:25 pm
HA...

would rather take my chances in Syria than to ever set foot in Louisiana.

Chief Mac

We'll see what happens.

good post mike and funny story about the players!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Pyrotechnician

I wonder how mike likes playing second fiddle to aaron peters?  After being the man for so long at kfsm I know  thats gotta get under his skin a bit.
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

Anderson

side note: the hog call on third downs isn't working.  can we stop that. ok, good talk.

Expos22

Ive been to see 2 Razorback games in Baton Rouge, it was pretty weak

Anderson

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on September 24, 2013, 03:02:31 pm
I wonder how mike likes playing second fiddle to aaron peters?  After being the man for so long at kfsm I know  thats gotta get under his skin a bit.

he's gonna get drunk and fight him, obvi.

tophawg19

Again mike you are paid to be there . on the field or photo deck is not jammed into a too small area surrounded by drunks . your making money being there . most fans are losing money being there . you have a free access to where you chose to go. you don't have kids there to think about or outside responsibilities . a lot of fans leave because they have other obligations that takes them away based on time schedules . waiting out lightening storms takes time they may not have . again your paid , they aren't . you live close , they may not .

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:00:25 pm
HA...

Is it true that you have to have a felony conviction to purchase tickets?  Or just a reference from someone convicted of violence against another?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

soooieman

We'll see what happens.

Mike, you are spot on!
I am a road hog so i've been to every SEC stadium but 3. Also have seen games at UT, OU, and TCU. Our home field advantage is a joke. You stand and cheer when we are on defense, stand only when we are on offense, and sit during time outs. Every other fan base seems to get this, but we have that "I paid for this seat, i'll do what I want" mentality. That's fine, but as Mike says don't be saying we are top tier or can compete as a fan base with the rest of the schools because it's just not true. The 2010 Alabama game was the only time i've seen RRS on par with the swamp, death valley, UGA, UT, or Bama.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Anderson on September 24, 2013, 02:52:49 pm
I just love that a 60 year old newscaster type is encouraging fans to drink themselves silly and fistfight the opposing team.  responsible journalism if ever there was any.

If that is what you take away from his post, please, dont drink. You already appear to be working at less than full steam.

Pyrotechnician

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 24, 2013, 03:04:00 pm
Again mike you are paid to be there . on the field or photo deck is not jammed into a too small area surrounded by drunks . your making money being there . most fans are losing money being there . you have a free access to where you chose to go. you don't have kids there to think about or outside responsibilities . a lot of fans leave because they have other obligations that takes them away based on time schedules . waiting out lightening storms takes time they may not have . again your paid , they aren't . you live close , they may not .

See, you make good points.  Everyone has a different situation and that creates an alternate view point that the next person may not understand or have experienced.  That is why its impossible to define what truly makes a fan a fan.  To me a fan is anyone who takes time to listen, watch or go to the razorback games.  To me one type is not greater than the other, it takes all types to form a fanbase.
SEC Referees Oath concerning the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I swear to throw the flag...the whole flag and nothing but the flag so help me Mike Slive!

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on September 24, 2013, 03:04:44 pm
Is it true that you have to have a felony conviction to purchase tickets?  Or just a reference from someone convicted of violence against another?

Something like that...

Midway through the third quarter I was pretty sure the drunk coon ass behind us was getting out spices and a knife to turn us into a stew...

Are they completely bat $hit? Absolutely.... but that atmosphere is second to none if you are the home team

hogsanity

most, not all, but MOST older fans, I will go with 50 or older, don't act like people, especially males, between the ages of 18-30. However, most people with the money to buy season tickets/make the donation, etc, are NOT in the 18-30 yr old "rowdy" age group.

To be honest, I am 43.  I could afford to buy them, but I just don't want to deal with the hassel of coming up, going to the game, and coming back when I can just watch it in my living room, have friends over, or go to a friends house and watch the game on a big hdtv.

I don't like it when the Hogs lose.  I fuss and fume about it for a whole, but then I get over it.  I don't call for people to be fired, I don't say this player sucks or that one should be benched.  I don't think I know more about which plays or what kind of plays to call than the guy getting the money to do so does.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

soooieman

Also, honoring a guest minutes before kickoff kills the mood. It's like watching Schlindler's list on your honeymoon.

kodiakisland

We'll see what happens.

Mike

I couldn't care less about the weather, unless there is lots of lightening.  Then I'm finding cover.  I've watched games in torrential downpours, 100+ degree weather and games well below zero.  Weather I don't care about.

As I've gotten older, the thing that I really don't like about going to games are the drunks.  It amazes me the number of people who have to be falling down drunk just to enjoy a game.  If I had to get drunk to like something, I don't think I'd do it. 

You can blame the weather for fans not showing up, but that probably has little to do with many people who choose to stay at home.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

(notOM)Rebel123

We'll see what happens.

Winning those National Titles will do that to fans....maybe if the Hogs.....oh, never mind.

If it happened here, the media would be up in arms about the "classless" Hog fans that confronted opposing players.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

hogsanity

Quote from: Pyrotechnician on September 24, 2013, 03:09:13 pm
  To me a fan is anyone who takes time to listen, watch or go to the razorback games.  To me one type is not greater than the other, it takes all types to form a fanbase.

That should be the end of the thread, but it won't be.  Someone will tell you that you are wrong.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: soooieman on September 24, 2013, 03:11:31 pm
Also, honoring a guest minutes before kickoff kills the mood. It's like watching Schlindler's list on your honeymoon.

Half of those people should be rolled out on a dolly....

El Puerco

Houston Nutt's first year back in Fayetteville.  We sat in the upper deck.  Fans all around us (including us) were told by ushers we had to "tone it down" because we were screaming at Nutt (as if he could hear us anyway)

WTH?

We are now in 114.  We're regularly asked to sit down during the game and people are clearly bothered by our yelling.

Seems like the Fayetteville crowd can be rowdy....if the team is really good and we are in the ball game.  If we stink or it's not much of a contest, they sit on their hands.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: El Puerco on September 24, 2013, 03:14:46 pm
Houston Nutt's first year back in Fayetteville.  We sat in the upper deck.  Fans all around us (including us) were told by ushers we had to "tone it down" because we were screaming at Nutt (as if he could hear us anyway)

WTH?

We are now in 114.  We're regularly asked to sit down during the game and people are clearly bothered by our yelling.

Seems like the Fayetteville crowd can be rowdy....if the team is really good and we are in the ball game.  If we stink or it's not much of a contest, they sit on their hands.

You paid just as much or more than they did....

If they disagree, screw em. Last time I listened to some jabroni trying to tell me what to do in a football game was never.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: soooieman on September 24, 2013, 03:11:31 pm

Ain't that the truth...that's what halftime and those countless TV timeouts should be used for.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on September 24, 2013, 03:10:18 pm
Something like that...

Midway through the third quarter I was pretty sure the drunk coon ass behind us was getting out spices and a knife to turn us into a stew...

Are they completely bat $hit? Absolutely.... but that atmosphere is second to none if you are the home team

I think they have the games at night so many of corndogs get a night pass from the home and don't have to check in until morning. 

Seriously, tremendous atmosphere.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?