Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Book of Manning

Started by jbcarol, September 24, 2013, 11:35:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/70758/archie-manning-faces-family-history

Ivan Maisel:
Archie Manning doesn't cotton to the notion that he and his wife Olivia are the heads of the First Family of the Southeastern Conference. For one thing, it's a presumption of self-importance, and Archie wasn't raised to be anything but humble.

"I've always said, in the era that I played, all those years with the Saints, you don't come out with a big ego," Manning said...

Debuts at 8 EDT/7 CDT tonight on ESPN with lots of repeats
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on September 24, 2013, 11:35:33 am

Archie Manning doesn't cotton to the notion that he and his wife Olivia are the heads of the First Family of the Southeastern Conference. For one thing, it's a presumption of self-importance, and Archie wasn't raised to be anything but humble.

I respect what the Manning family has done, but I think playing up the "humble" nature of Archie and maybe his boys is a little over the top.  The Mannings are everywhere, from commercials to SNL to music videos . . .  everywhere.  They are football's version of what the Robertsons are to rednecks. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Boarcephus

I know this doesn't belong here and feel free to move it, but it airs in just a few minutes.  I saw a lead in to it on ESPN the other day and it appears to be a neat little piece with a bunch of home video of the Manning kids playing football.  The Manning family is such a classy bunch it has the potential to be good.  Just passing it on....
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

popcornhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2013, 06:50:12 pm
I know this doesn't belong here and feel free to move it, but it airs in just a few minutes.  I saw a lead in to it on ESPN the other day and it appears to be a neat little piece with a bunch of home video of the Manning kids playing football.  The Manning family is such a classy bunch it has the potential to be good.  Just passing it on....

They've been pushing this thing pretty hard for the past couple if weeks.

I may try to watch it eventually. Should be at least moderately interesting.
WPS

PonderinHog

ur

Excellent show. It is on again at 9 pm central on espnu. Archie played the hogs in the Sugar Bowl.
I Met Archie when I worked at the Rendezvous in the late 80's. All the waiters called him Archie Who.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ur on September 24, 2013, 07:59:03 pm
Excellent show. It is on again at 9 pm central on espnu. Archie played the hogs in the Sugar Bowl.
I know.  He ran us ragged.

Boarcephus

For those who missed this, you need to find out when it replays and watch it.  You will not be disappointed.  One of the best I've seen.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ur

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 24, 2013, 08:33:53 pm
For those who missed this, you need to find out when it replays and watch it.  You will not be disappointed.  One of the best I've seen.
9 tonight on espnu

Dr. Starcs

Ask San Diego how classy ole Archie and golden boy Eli are.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 24, 2013, 09:11:41 pm
That segment is on the cutting room floor.

Hawg Balling

rickm1976

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 24, 2013, 11:45:51 am
I respect what the Manning family has done, but I think playing up the "humble" nature of Archie and maybe his boys is a little over the top.  The Mannings are everywhere, from commercials to SNL to music videos . . .  everywhere.  They are football's version of what the Robertsons are to rednecks. 

It's hard, in this day and age, to believe there are people who are really like that, but I've heard it said that Archie and his whole family are the real deal.  I hated his guts when he beat us in the Sugar Bowl, but he and his wife are class acts, and it appears that they raised their boys to be the same.  He and Barry Sanders were both gifted players who got stuck on bottom dwelling NFL teams, but never complained.  Most of their types today cry and whine to be traded (except DMac).

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 24, 2013, 11:45:51 am
I believe Archie is the real deal. That guy worked for it. As a young guy that had jobs chopping down weeds in a cotton field and doing brickwork, I can relate. As far as commercials, that's just business, I wouldn't equate that to humility. You can be humble and still live your life. He tried to hide at his boys games, you can't make that stuff up. Additionally, he really loves Mississippi, which I understand and respect because I love Arkansas so much. That's what people on this board lack, people on here ridicule Arkansas as much as they talk good about it.

All of his boys do seem a little egotistical to me, but I guess that's natural. I liked  the part where Peyton memorized Archie's O-line at Ole Miss by listening to the games on cassette tape. Cooper and Eli didn't impress me much. They seem like the typical silver spoon to me.

Jackrabbit Hog

Okay.  I watched it.  And then I watched it again.  Hate to say it but I was dead wrong.  Sure, I know movies can make bad things look good, etc., but by far the most impressive and impressionable thing to me was the old home movies.  Also, I either never knew or had forgotten that Archie's dad committed suicide while he was in college, and you can tell that that had a lasting impact on Archie and how he would be with his own kids.  Great family, and while I agree that certain subjects weren't touched (like the Eli draft saga, the sexual harassment lawsuit against Peyton), no one's family is perfect and I believe Archie would be the first to say that.  But he loves his kids and he has always tried to raise them the right way, and there's a lot to be said for that in a dad.

One last thing.....watching all that old footage of Archie's college playing days - including the Sugar Bowl footage that brought back bad memories for me - made me realize that he was Johnny Manziel 40 years before Johnny Manziel was Johnny Manziel, just without all the arrogance and bad stuff.  Remarkable.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hoosier

I really enjoyed it. I always liked Archie and felt bad for him that he was stuck on the Saints.
I think it showed that what kids' tendencies are when they are young will be what they are when they get older. Peyton was detail oriented, sore loser and always studying and Eli was more carefree and aloof. Same way they play today

Boarcephus

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 25, 2013, 07:57:20 am
(the sexual harassment lawsuit against Peyton)

One last thing.....watching all that old footage of Archie's college playing days - including the Sugar Bowl footage that brought back bad memories for me - made me realize that he was Johnny Manziel 40 years before Johnny Manziel was Johnny Manziel, just without all the arrogance and bad stuff.  Remarkable.

Wasn't that just a case of Peyton mooning a female reporter in the locker room?

Hadn't thought of Manning in the Manziel scenario but you are dead on.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 25, 2013, 10:03:16 am
Wasn't that just a case of Peyton mooning a female reporter in the locker room?

Hadn't thought of Manning in the Manziel scenario but you are dead on.

I think that was what happened; not sure if it was at Tennessee or after he was a pro, but as I recall he had to pay some $ to settle the case and I'm sure keep the details confidential.  Sure, mooning a female isn't exactly sexual assault but for someone who was his age it's pretty juvenile.  I'm sure he regrets it now and it's not surprising it wasn't mentioned in the movie (although Eli's public intox at Ole Miss was).

Boarcephus

almost positive that was at UT.

Hawg Balling

Hopefully one of DMac's 30 kids is a stud so we can have our own little version of the Manning family :)

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 25, 2013, 10:19:17 am
Hopefully one of DMac's 30 kids is a stud so we can have our own little version of the Manning family :)

LOL!!!!

LRrazorback

Did you notice, in one of the clips when Peyton hugs his father after a game, it was the very cold game at War Memorial Stadium.  You could see their breathe in the clip, it was so cold, one of the coldest games I've ever attended.  Very good game, Tenner was up big and we put on a comeback that fell short.

311Hog

I have to admit i love these 30 for 30 type shows, but this one was different for me.  i stayed up late to finish it on dvr when i could have easily turned it off and finished some other time.  I really enjoyed it and it gave me a new respect for Archie and it really shone a light on exactly how it all worked out i mean how does a family of 5 have 3 NFL QB's two of which are possible Hall of Famers and Archie himself might have been if he had played for a different team ( and not be like Tiger Woods dad and force them to play it just came naturally).  The Manziel comparison is exactly what i was thinking as i watched footage amazing.

I just really enjoyed the show, it had an air of Rudy to me but it was all home movies.  So much insight into the world of the deep south and how it relates to football.  I would encourage anyone to watch it not just football fans.

Jackrabbit Hog

Anyone besides me notice how much they showed Peyton as a 2-3 year old bawling and running to his dad?  I'm sure they had miles of film footage to look through and I thought it was funny they picked so many shots of Peyton crying when he wasn't getting his way or when he had a boo boo on his arm.  My wife and I were both laughing out loud at that.

Boarcephus

The home movies were great.  Peyton was cute as he could be when he went bawling to Archie.  Like my brother said, the Manning family is NFL Royalty.  You looking for role models, look no further than Archie and Olivia.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on September 25, 2013, 01:12:14 pm
Anyone besides me notice how much they showed Peyton as a 2-3 year old bawling and running to his dad?  I'm sure they had miles of film footage to look through and I thought it was funny they picked so many shots of Peyton crying when he wasn't getting his way or when he had a boo boo on his arm.  My wife and I were both laughing out loud at that.

Archie and Dan Patrick hit on that this morning. Archie was on talking about the movie. I haven't seen it yet, but from listening to the elder Manning this morning it (and you guys of course) is way up on my to do list.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Hoggie17

I was at the 1970 Sugar Bowl.  When I was going into the stadium, the Ole Miss fans kept chanting you'll see who he is.  I had not heard that, but it must have been a big thing in the SEC, the Archie who thing.
Archie did beat us by 5 points.  You could tell he was a gifted athlete, when he came up to the line for the snap he had a cat like spring in his legs.  I thought he would have a great NFL career, but he got picked by the Saints.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 25, 2013, 10:17:36 am
almost positive that was at UT.
[/qIt uote]

It was at UT but he did't moon a female reporter. He was mooning his offensive line and the reporter was in the locker room. Total bs case.

HognitiveDissonance

Yea, the typical Arkie or Mississippian is just a down-home, humble human being. I have no doubt Archie is very real. It's the upbringing. And being that way, he's done a good job instilling some values in his boys...a very good job considering how successful they've been and the money they've made. I'm sure a lot of that can be attributed to respect for mom and dad, knowing that no matter how famous they get they still have their parents watching what they're doing and will let them know if they get full of themselves.

The only thing that comes to mind is the Mike Vanderjack incident with the Colts. He had some critical things to say in the offseason about the team and Peyton didn't care for it too much. Called him the 'idiot kicker'. The whole thing was harmless and funny, but to me it kinda showed Peyton's attitude a bit...calling one of his teammates an 'idiot' seemed to be a stretch of his 'leadership' responsibilities. Should have handled it privately or let it go, maybe. But if that's the worst thing you can say he's doing alright.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on September 24, 2013, 09:11:41 pm

and yet, for the last 5 years, how many times have people posted that going to Oakland was the worst thing that could have happened to D-Mac? Can't blame them for doing what they thought was best for their son's career.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hawg Balling

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 27, 2013, 10:40:09 am
and yet, for the last 5 years, how many times have people posted that going to Oakland was the worst thing that could have happened to D-Mac? Can't blame them for doing what they thought was best for their son's career.

And given the amount of success Eli has had in New York coupled with the fact that the Chargers have been a fairly mediocre organization throughout the Rivers era, I'd say they made the right move.

The Giants are up there with the Steelers and the Belichick era Patriots in terms of organizational consistency and success. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hawg Balling on September 27, 2013, 11:17:05 am
And given the amount of success Eli has had in New York coupled with the fact that the Chargers have been a fairly mediocre organization throughout the Rivers era, I'd say they made the right move.

The Giants are up there with the Steelers and the Belichick era Patriots in terms of organizational consistency and success. 

Agree.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

jbcarol

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-11-06-brennan_x.htm

Just for the record as memories can be fuzzy, here's a 10-year-old USA Today column by Brennan gives the former Vol female trainer's side of the story, corroborated by Malc Saxon.

...In 2000, he wrote a book with his father, Archie, called Manning:A Father, His Sons, and a Football Legacy. In it, for some unknown and extremely ill-advised reason (our hero couldn't be the vindictive type, could he?), Peyton Manning decided to revive the mooning story, calling his action "crude, maybe, but harmless," while saying the female trainer should have "shrugged (it) off." He also said the woman "had a vulgar mouth."

...The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the so-called mooning.

"Bro, you have tons of class," Saxon's letter says, "but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ... You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ALLVOL

Quote from: jbcarol on September 27, 2013, 12:06:21 pm
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/brennan/2003-11-06-brennan_x.htm

Just for the record as memories can be fuzzy, here's a 10-year-old USA Today column by Brennan gives the former Vol female trainer's side of the story, corroborated by Malc Saxon.

...In 2000, he wrote a book with his father, Archie, called Manning:A Father, His Sons, and a Football Legacy. In it, for some unknown and extremely ill-advised reason (our hero couldn't be the vindictive type, could he?), Peyton Manning decided to revive the mooning story, calling his action "crude, maybe, but harmless," while saying the female trainer should have "shrugged (it) off." He also said the woman "had a vulgar mouth."

...The court record includes a letter to Manning from former Tennessee cross country runner Malcolm Saxon, who Manning said was the intended target of the so-called mooning.

"Bro, you have tons of class," Saxon's letter says, "but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. ... You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. ... Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way."

And many others call that version bs. That the female trainer (I said reporter I meant trainer) wasn't attending him and was in the room when it happened and PM had no idea she was there. And in fact didn't know she was there until later.
The reason for settling was it was advised to Archie that it would be much cheaper and better for PM draft status to just settle.

LSUFan

Watched it last night.

My dad always told me Archie was the best QB that ever played in the NFL, he just never had any protection in the NFL. - TRUE

I wish I was 10% of the dad he is/was.

To have found your dad with his brains blown out and still be able to function, excel in your career, and raise three boys, is at the very least, commendable.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Great Show.  I never knew Archies Dad killed himself while Archie was at Ole Miss.   He overcame a lot and has raised a fine family, that includes 2 SB winning QB's!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

Archie was the original Johnny Football, imho

PP

Chestodrawers

I've watched it twice. Really great! I never really understood what was wrong with Copper til watching the program. I too, couldn't help but make the Manziel comparason. I rememember the Sugar Bowl, but really not many people ever got to see Archie play. Honestly he looked better than Manziel at scrabbling to me.

LSUFan

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on October 03, 2013, 09:11:20 am
Archie was the original Johnny Football, imho

PP
Minus the prickness.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on October 03, 2013, 11:02:38 pm
Minus the prickness.

Yep Archie's hard scrabble upbringing kept him humble regardless of his sucess.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork