Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you shoot

Started by FORTVEGAS, September 22, 2013, 06:48:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

I have a problem. I have this real nice deer coming to my stand site but he broke off half his rack would you take him givin the chance or let him walk and hope next year he ain't broke

[attachment deleted by admin]

Albert Einswine

He's young, I'd let him walk and hope others do the same.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Shoot skin eat and repeat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Wayne Watson

If your stand is in a protected area, I'd let him walk.  If not, I'd shoot because someone else would take him.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

Whether to shoot or not depends on your needs.  Looking for a trophy deer, let him walk.  Looking for meat, let him walk unless he is your only option, then shoot him.  He would not be my choice for trophy or meat but there is nothing wrong with shooting him if you want.

I will be shooting a 10 point this year for meat that I let go last year.  He was too small and young last year but looked like he had potential.  This year he is still very narrow and I don't want him breeding.  He will never be a trophy deer but should taste really good.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LSUFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 22, 2013, 02:46:46 pm
Shoot skin eat and repeat.
Yasss, and Amen, Brethern of the Gut Hook Society!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Wayne Watson

A man once asked my granddad if bucks tasted better than does.  My granddad said "I don't know.  Never tasted a buck".
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

I am first a meat hunter and second a trophy hunter.  I've never really cared much for the trophy part, but I certainly wouldn't pass up a B&C animal if it came my way.  I usually shoot a couple of does and one buck a year.  I normally shoot bucks that have bad genetics thinking one day maybe I'll see better bucks if I keep the bad ones from breeding.  I think usually the nice young bucks I let pass get shot by someone else.

The freezer is already full this year so I will probably just let the kids shoot some and enjoy watching the deer do their thing.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 22, 2013, 10:10:03 pm
I am first a meat hunter and second a trophy hunter.  I've never really cared much for the trophy part, but I certainly wouldn't pass up a B&C animal if it came my way.  I usually shoot a couple of does and one buck a year.  I normally shoot bucks that have bad genetics thinking one day maybe I'll see better bucks if I keep the bad ones from breeding.  I think usually the nice young bucks I let pass get shot by someone else.

The freezer is already full this year so I will probably just let the kids shoot some and enjoy watching the deer do their thing.
Brotha where you stay?
I sure could use some ground venison for some cool weather chilli.

kodiakisland

Just put up 200lbs or so of elk in the freezer and have a hog coming from the butcher next week.  One thing we eat a lot of in our house is meat.  No vegans here.

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 23, 2013, 12:21:28 am
Just put up 200lbs or so of elk in the freezer and have a hog coming from the butcher next week.  One thing we eat a lot of in our house is meat.  No vegans here.
And I bet you're a gun nut too! Ohhhhhh the humanity!

kodiakisland

A nut anyway, that's for sure.

FORTVEGAS

If I can keep my finger off the trigger I will let him walk and hopefully I will get a chance next year. I don't know until I am in the situation. Here is another that I will shoot no hesitation.

woodrow hog call

I have hunted out of that stand! I remember the gate next to it, I wondered who it belonged to, let me know the days you don't plan on going.

Kidding of course.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 23, 2013, 06:31:54 am
If I can keep my finger off the trigger I will let him walk and hopefully I will get a chance next year. I don't know until I am in the situation. Here is another that I will shoot no hesitation.

that second buck you posted looks really nice in those pics, but if you shoot him I'm afraid you are gonna see some severe ground shrinkage on those horns. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Pistol Pete

My opinion about the broken rack buck... I'd let him walk. There are enough does and trashy rack deer at our farm.
I have that catch 22 deal every year. I'll let a nice deer walk when I know he's young or just broken up... I know someone else may take him, but he stands zero chance if I take him. Also, my nephews daughter killed one that I let walk 2 years ago... she was extremely excited about it. That alone was worth it!!!

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 23, 2013, 02:31:08 pm
that second buck you posted looks really nice in those pics, but if you shoot him I'm afraid you are gonna see some severe ground shrinkage on those horns.
Why do you say that? Tine length?

kodiakisland

Quote from: Pistol Pete on September 23, 2013, 08:53:08 pm
My opinion about the broken rack buck... I'd let him walk. There are enough does and trashy rack deer at our farm.
I have that catch 22 deal every year. I'll let a nice deer walk when I know he's young or just broken up... I know someone else may take him, but he stands zero chance if I take him. Also, my nephews daughter killed one that I let walk 2 years ago... she was extremely excited about it. That alone was worth it!!!

It is a gamble, but you are right.  They have no chance to make it another year if you shoot them.  I've already seen two bucks that I know I let walk last year.  One needs one more year to be a real trophy but the other did not get any better.  He has two more points this year but is still too narrow and short to ever be a trophy so he will go to the freezer if my daughter gets the chance. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 23, 2013, 09:18:38 pm

He's a young deer.  Short main beams and short tines.  Needs another year unless you're just looking for meat.

Pistol Pete

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 22, 2013, 04:39:51 pm
Whether to shoot or not depends on your needs.  Looking for a trophy deer, let him walk.  Looking for meat, let him walk unless he is your only option, then shoot him.  He would not be my choice for trophy or meat but there is nothing wrong with shooting him if you want.

I will be shooting a 10 point this year for meat that I let go last year.  He was too small and young last year but looked like he had potential.  This year he is still very narrow and I don't want him breeding.  He will never be a trophy deer but should taste really good.

Good points...

I'm 51 and have taken my share of deer. So far, nothing better than 125 or so, raw score. AND, a 125 is a nice deer. However, we do have at least 1 or 2 deer on cam every year that are 140-150 class deer, which are EXTREMELY nice deer!
My nephew got a 140 at our farm about 8 years ago. I'll just continue to do my part with the cull bucks and does... one day, the "big one" will walk out ;)

PharmacistHog

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 23, 2013, 09:18:38 pm

Experience (and I don't mean that cocky).  I've shot lots of deer that size and crawl down excited to see my "trophy" only to have the horns "shrink".  Those game cameras will fool you.  Understand, that's just my opinion, that may be a magnificent deer, but if your luck is anything like mine, that deer would hit the ground and I'd cut his horns off and he'd look like the rest of the ones hanging up that I should have let walk. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pistol Pete on September 23, 2013, 10:53:17 pm
Good points...

I'm 51 and have taken my share of deer. So far, nothing better than 125 or so, raw score. AND, a 125 is a nice deer. However, we do have at least 1 or 2 deer on cam every year that are 140-150 class deer, which are EXTREMELY nice deer!
My nephew got a 140 at our farm about 8 years ago. I'll just continue to do my part with the cull bucks and does... one day, the "big one" will walk out ;)

You have me by a few years, but I'm pretty much in the same situation.  I 125inch deer is a "nice" deer at our lease.  I have been fortunate to kill a 143 and a 138 but those are pretty rare, but I let those 14 inch 8pts walk knowing that if I shoot him, he darn sure won't be a 135 or 140 next time I see him. 

rickm1976

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 24, 2013, 11:34:47 am
Experience (and I don't mean that cocky).  I've shot lots of deer that size and crawl down excited to see my "trophy" only to have the horns "shrink".  Those game cameras will fool you.  Understand, that's just my opinion, that may be a magnificent deer, but if your luck is anything like mine, that deer would hit the ground and I'd cut his horns off and he'd look like the rest of the ones hanging up that I should have let walk. 

This has happened to me too many times.  I make the shot on the trophy of a lifetime, and walk up only to find that he looks just like the others I didn't even bother to have mounted.  The older I get, the bigger the difference between "pre-shot horns" and "post-shot horns".

Pistol Pete

Quote from: rickm1976 on September 24, 2013, 04:55:32 pm
This has happened to me too many times.  I make the shot on the trophy of a lifetime, and walk up only to find that he looks just like the others I didn't even bother to have mounted.  The older I get, the bigger the difference between "pre-shot horns" and "post-shot horns".

Haha... This happened to us last season. A buddy that hunts with us every year shot a "nice" 8 point, beautiful rack... the deer was small, the rack looked large... about 14 1/2 inches inside spread. He was happy until he walked up to it.

FORTVEGAS

I guess I'm too young or just haven't seen many big deer. I think the first one is a monster if it wasn't broke and the second is a good sized "trophy"

Pistol Pete

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 24, 2013, 07:26:07 pm
I guess I'm too young or just haven't seen many big deer. I think the first one is a monster if it wasn't broke and the second is a good sized "trophy"

In that case, shoot it!

I don't think anyone is saying "don't shoot" the deer. We were asked if we'd shoot it... in my case, I'd let it (both) walk. I'm not saying they are not nice deer, they really are. However, a doe or a cull buck will fill my freezer just the same... and maybe, just maybe... the one I let walk will be a monster next year.
I have ZERO issues with "meat" hunters, or anyone taking any legal deer. The deer population is alive and well!

kodiakisland

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 24, 2013, 07:26:07 pm

To me, the second buck looks like a young meat buck with a nice rack.  In another year or two he might be something special, but this year he is just a nice average buck.  Good eating for sure but not a wall hanger.

Hawgon

With a rifle, no, probably not.  With my longbow, yeah, definitely.

Hawgon

By the way, that buck in your second pick has your stand zeroed in.  He is looking right at it.  If you are in it, you'll probably never see that buck.

tophawg19

both of those are young with great potential . the question is , do you have private property where you don't have to worry about others shooting these younger deer ? if yes then let them go , if no then you might as well shoot. these are in the 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year group. they will get better over the next two seasons . if this is a large private property i'd say let them walk and add mineral supliments  to help antler growth . judging by the number of points / body size , i'd say genetics are good but minerals and vitamins are lacking . food plots high on protein, iron ,and calcium and other nutrients would go a long way to shooting bigger racked bucks . check your soils ph before planting . Lime will likely be needed to balance the ph before planting . GOOD LUCK
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

The area I hunt gets hit pretty hard.  I always figured a buck would get shot even if I let them go.  I still let them go as I am hunting mostly for meat.  This year I've already seen two bucks I let go last year thinking they had potential.  One is a very nice 8 point that will be a trophy next year if he can live another year.  The other is a super small 10 point that will hopefully be shot before he can breed.  I thought he needed another year but he didn't get any wider or taller, just a little thicker.

FORTVEGAS

Ok a lot of yall are saying meat deer and that is what i hunt for first and foremost. But when I think of a meat deer I dont think of a 13-14 point buck with decent width and mass this is what I think of.

PharmacistHog

I'd shoot a doe before I would waste a tag on those last deer. Its just whatever makes you happy. I wouldnt shoot any of the deer you've posted unless it was one of those oops moments. But Ive killed a lot of deer and would rather wait on a bigger deer. Thats just me. You have to do whats best for you.

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 25, 2013, 06:00:36 pm
I'd shoot a doe before I would waste a tag on those last deer. Its just whatever makes you happy. I wouldnt shoot any of the deer you've posted unless it was one of those oops moments. But Ive killed a lot of deer and would rather wait on a bigger deer. Thats just me. You have to do whats best for you.
So you wouldn't cull that out of the herd

Albert Einswine

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 25, 2013, 06:08:18 pm

The unfortunate thing for me is Indiana has a one buck rule, it can be an ice cream cone spike to the muy grande of muy grandes, but you only get one. So the only way I would shoot these bucks is if it were the last 5 minutes of legal hunting hours on the last day of the season and there wasn't anything bigger working in.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PharmacistHog

Personally, I would not. Ive heard all kinds of theories but when a deer is that young I just dont think you can REALLY know that deer wont develop. But we have enough kids and other hunters that I wouldnt have to cull him.

tophawg19

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 25, 2013, 10:50:40 am
The area I hunt gets hit pretty hard.  I always figured a buck would get shot even if I let them go.  I still let them go as I am hunting mostly for meat.  This year I've already seen two bucks I let go last year thinking they had potential.  One is a very nice 8 point that will be a trophy next year if he can live another year.  The other is a super small 10 point that will hopefully be shot before he can breed.  I thought he needed another year but he didn't get any wider or taller, just a little thicker.
if he is a 10 pt then it's not genetics , it's minerals and vitamins in food . his body is using up most of his intake before it gets to the rack

tophawg19

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 25, 2013, 06:08:18 pm
yes  and the faster the better . he isn't a really young deer .

kodiakisland

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on September 25, 2013, 05:45:45 pm
Ok a lot of yall are saying meat deer and that is what i hunt for first and foremost. But when I think of a meat deer I dont think of a 13-14 point buck with decent width and mass this is what I think of.

I think you are missing the point.  I am not calling the second deer a meat deer because that's all it is.  I am saying that if I shot it this year, it would just be for the meat.  It really does not have much height or width regardless of the number of points.  Next year it may be a trophy deer, but not this year.  I personally would not shoot it this year unless I needed the meat.  That is why it is a meat deer.  The rack would just get tossed in the garage with all the other nice but small racks.

Again, nothing wrong with shooting it if you want to.  I'd let it walk and shoot an old doe if I needed the meat or a deer that clearly has no potential and one you don't want breeding.  I or my daughter will be shooting a 3-4 year old 10 point this year that is maybe 12 inches wide.  I have much better and younger 8 points I'd rather see breed than this one.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 25, 2013, 06:43:52 pm
I think you are missing the point.  I am not calling the second deer a meat deer because that's all it is.  I am saying that if I shot it this year, it would just be for the meat.  It really does not have much height or width regardless of the number of points.  Next year it may be a trophy deer, but not this year.  I personally would not shoot it this year unless I needed the meat.  That is why it is a meat deer.  The rack would just get tossed in the garage with all the other nice but small racks.

Again, nothing wrong with shooting it if you want to.  I'd let it walk and shoot an old doe if I needed the meat or a deer that clearly has no potential and one you don't want breeding.  I or my daughter will be shooting a 3-4 year old 10 point this year that is maybe 12 inches wide.  I have much better and younger 8 points I'd rather see breed than this one.

And I'll add to that, if you like that deer and you think he's a trophy then blast him. You mount him and be proud of him. Trophy is in the eye of the individual hunter.

deshahawg

I've been lucky to hunt in a place where I can let deer walk and a lot of them don't get shot. If you could wait at least a year then he could be a monster.

1highhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on September 24, 2013, 11:34:47 am

Really simple, same thing when you look in the mirror at yourself and say, God blessed me well, then go walking in the bedroom and the wife asks you, have you been taking cold showers again?