Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you come home, and find the GF's 18yo son and friend have found your fully loaded 45 and

Started by LSUFan, September 01, 2013, 09:52:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LSUFan on September 05, 2013, 09:00:01 pm
If I was a thief, I would go straight for your safe, NOT the top of the fridge.

Y'all ever think of that?

Sure, I've thought of that...& what are they going to do after they...."go straight for it"?

Doubt you are going to open my safe easily....or at all.  When thieves see a safe like mine, they go somewhere else where robbing is easier. They are looking for people that leave their guns & valuables "hidden" in the house, not in safes. They would need a lot of time, & the right tools to get into my safe. Thieves do not like spending that much time in a house they are robbing, that's how they get caught. They usually don't carry around the kind & size of tools necessary to get into a large safe. They want something easier to get their hands on, & quicker. You are certainly not going to be able to carry my safe out the door with a hand truck. The weight & being bolted to the floor makes that very complicated.  Anyway, Thieves rarely take large, heavy safes with them.  It looks rather suspicious to the neighbors, (or police) when they see (or hear) strangers making a lot of noise, & drawing attention to themselves, trying to load up a safe in a friends driveway.  It's just too easy to get caught trying to move a large safe. 

The only people I have met that have had guns stolen...(quite a few )....did not have them in a safe.  They were all..."hidden" somewhere in their house.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LSUFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 06, 2013, 12:53:48 am
Sure, I've thought of that...& what are they going to do after they...."go straight for it"?

The only people I have met that have had guns stolen...(quite a few )....did not have them in a safe.  They were all..."hidden" somewhere in their house.
When I find your safe, I'm, loading it in the car and leaving, which, in my 8 years of LEO experience, has proven to be the MO of 99.9% of punks.

If I'm a punk, I'll take the 2 wheeler I stole from the last gig, wheel your safe out, and disect it out my house.

The only people I have met that have had guns stolen in my 8 years of LE,...(quite a few )....did not have them hidden in the house.  They were all..."hidden" somewhere in a safe.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LSUFan on September 06, 2013, 01:00:23 am
When I find your safe, I'm, loading it in the car and leaving, which, in my 8 years of LEO experience, has proven to be the MO of 99.9% of punks.

If I'm a punk, I'll take the 2 wheeler I stole from the last gig, wheel your safe out, and disect it out my house.

The only people I have met that have had guns stolen in my 8 years of LE,...(quite a few )....did not have them hidden in the house.  They were all..."hidden" somewhere in a safe.

Hard to believe anyone with 8 years of LEO, would leave multiple guns loaded & unsecured around the house where anyone could get their hands on them easily....& already has.... without you knowing it till later.  That's why you started this thread. Nobody has ever got their hands on any of my guns that are locked up in my safe. With your LE experience,  & knowing the liability that you are risking to yourself.... & the risk to others, is quite amazing.  Anyway, that is your decision, was just giving my thoughts & opinions.  Hope you get everything worked out in your situation at your house.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

LSUFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 06, 2013, 01:37:01 am
Hard to believe anyone with 8 years of LEO, would leave multiple guns loaded & unsecured around the house where anyone could get their hands on them easily....& already has.... without you knowing it till later.  That's why you started this thread. Nobody has ever got their hands on any of my guns that are locked up in my safe. With your LE experience,  & knowing the liability that you are risking to yourself.... & the risk to others, is quite amazing.  Anyway, that is your decision, was just giving my thoughts & opinions.  Hope you get everything worked out in your situation at your house.
They are hidden in plain sight.

Ty for the input.

AcornHunter

LSUFan,

I respectfully suggest that you without predetermination reread this entire thread, which shines light on a very important event in the lives of several people, and note how many times you mention killing (your Signature via "Mad Dog") and kicking or stomping ass.  And then ask yourself:  How many times did I mention love?

Does that which comes out of a man reveal what is inside a man?

HighOntheHog

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:51:17 pm
No, it was on the top of a 6 foot fridge. I live in an open carry state, I have a loaded gun in every room of my house.

Me and my kids were raised to respect a gun, we ain't lib gunphobics.

Unattended and loaded guns in every room in your house seems like you could use some gun safety tips too...

DOGALUM

Quote from: HighOntheHog on September 06, 2013, 11:34:50 am
Unattended and loaded guns in every room in your house seems like you could use some gun safety tips too...
I wouldn't go that far.   I have no problem with loaded guns in your house.  I have no problem with having kids around them....as long as the kids know the deal and the parent is not only confident in the kids.....but also ready to take any and all blame should something go awry. 

I too have loaded weapons in more than one place in my house.  My kids know exactly where they are.....well.....three of them know.  The youngest does not but she can't get to them anyway.   That said......I change things up a bit if they have friends over because while I trust my children......I also realize that a) they are children and b) I do NOT know the guests well enough to let their behavior decide my fate. 

My 11 year old son and my 14&15 year old girls are all quite handy with handguns and shotguns.  The oldest is not a rifle girl....not sure why....but the other two are.   

LSU should do whatever he feels comfortable doing.  But he...just like everyone else....has to understand that ultimately the responsibility lies with only him. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Kodiak

Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

LSUFan

Quote from: AcornHunter on September 06, 2013, 05:37:24 am
LSUFan,

I respectfully suggest that you without predetermination reread this entire thread, which shines light on a very important event in the lives of several people, and note how many times you mention killing (your Signature via "Mad Dog") and kicking or stomping ass.  And then ask yourself:  How many times did I mention love?

Does that which comes out of a man reveal what is inside a man?
Yay, we now have a warm and fuzzy tree hugger liberal in the thread. YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

LSUFan

LSUFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 06, 2013, 12:37:49 pm
I wouldn't go that far.   I have no problem with loaded guns in your house.  I have no problem with having kids around them....as long as the kids know the deal and the parent is not only confident in the kids.....but also ready to take any and all blame should something go awry. 

I too have loaded weapons in more than one place in my house.  My kids know exactly where they are.....well.....three of them know.  The youngest does not but she can't get to them anyway.   That said......I change things up a bit if they have friends over because while I trust my children......I also realize that a) they are children and b) I do NOT know the guests well enough to let their behavior decide my fate. 

My 11 year old son and my 14&15 year old girls are all quite handy with handguns and shotguns.  The oldest is not a rifle girl....not sure why....but the other two are.   

LSU should do whatever he feels comfortable doing.  But he...just like everyone else....has to understand that ultimately the responsibility lies with only him.
Spot on!

LSUFan

Quote from: HighOntheHog on September 06, 2013, 11:34:50 am
Why do I have to attend a gun? Is it gonna go off when the sun comes up and kill somebody?
What should I do now, hide all the kitchen knives and baseball bats in a safe?

twistitup

Quote from: LSUFan on September 06, 2013, 09:27:21 pm
Why do I have to attend a gun? Is it gonna go off when the sun comes up and kill somebody?
What should I do now, hide all the kitchen knives and baseball bats in a safe?

Keep your eye on that crossbow too! It will gitcha when you least expect it
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on September 07, 2013, 12:03:07 am
You forgot hammers, also.

Yes I have ran off scabs,drunks and homeless on construction sites with a reversed gripped 20 oz Plumb claw hammer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazrRila99

I didnt, and not going to read the whole thread. So heres what I would do:

I would first acknowledge that he told his mom what he did, that takes great courage to tell her.  It was obviously playing on his conscious that he did it. 

Tell GF you are glad she felt comfortable enough to tell you.  Sounds like the "bad parenting" isnt from her end. 

Find a weekend/evening, etc when you can all be together and then use that as a teaching session.  Start small, this is that etc etc.  Then go out and blow through some rounds. 

Dont come down and put a boot in the kids ass.  He did right by telling your GF what he did.  Tell GF your plans of how you are going to do it.  Play it off that since hes 18 he needs to know this stuff.  That way you are in clear and didnt "out" GF/mom to kid and you get your point across. 

Then take gf into bedroom and PIIHB!

LSUFan

Quote from: RazrRila99 on September 11, 2013, 09:56:34 am
I didnt, and not going to read the whole thread. So heres what I would do:

I would first acknowledge that he told his mom what he did, that takes great courage to tell her.  It was obviously playing on his conscious that he did it. 

Tell GF you are glad she felt comfortable enough to tell you.  Sounds like the "bad parenting" isnt from her end. 

Find a weekend/evening, etc when you can all be together and then use that as a teaching session.  Start small, this is that etc etc.  Then go out and blow through some rounds. 

Dont come down and put a boot in the kids ass.  He did right by telling your GF what he did.  Tell GF your plans of how you are going to do it.  Play it off that since hes 18 he needs to know this stuff.  That way you are in clear and didnt "out" GF/mom to kid and you get your point across. 

Then take gf into bedroom and PIIHB!
LOL, you read my mind, and this is exactly what I did.

When I first found out I wanted to put a foot in his ass (Not literally, just chew his ass a bit)

I read the advice here, calmed down a few days, the kid and me are going shooting in the near future!

DeltaBoy

Good to hear LSUFAN!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DOGALUM

Quote from: LSUFan on September 11, 2013, 04:53:21 pm
LOL, you read my mind, and this is exactly what I did.

When I first found out I wanted to put a foot in his ass (Not literally, just chew his ass a bit)

I read the advice here, calmed down a few days, the kid and me are going shooting in the near future!
Watch your back
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

LSUFan

derfarhar333

He's got some interest in guns obviously. I'd scorn him for playing with a weapon. Then Id take him and teach him how to responsibly handle it.
Me personally I feel that as a gun lover I should spread my love and passion to everyone I can.

derfarhar333

LSUFan

Quote from: derfarhar333 on September 16, 2013, 10:10:51 am
He's got some interest in guns obviously. I'd scorn him for playing with a weapon. Then Id take him and teach him how to responsibly handle it.
Me personally I feel that as a gun lover I should spread my love and passion to everyone I can.
Amen, lol

Harley_Hawg

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 03, 2013, 06:59:14 am
Yes, I have exchanged fire and am still here.  I have many teenagers in my house and everything is in a safe.  Takes less than 10 seconds to get my loaded pistol.  If you don't want to secure your guns that's fine, you just shouldn't have guests over who might get into them.
+1

pseudorabies

If they found your loaded gun, you should probably have the other talk with him also. 

Anderson

LSU, how many forums are you going to post in about your soap opera relationship?  Need attention much?