Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So you come home, and find the GF's 18yo son and friend have found your fully loaded 45 and

Started by LSUFan, September 01, 2013, 09:52:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

took it out of the holster and were "looking" at it. It was on top of the fridge.

Neither of them are gun safety aware or even gun aware.

It's loaded with Black Talons (from days gone by)

What would you do/say? GF swore to them she wouldn't tell me. They came forward and told her on their own.

I wanna put a foot in his ass, that's what I had to do, ONE time with my kids.

Is this a rhetoricle (sp) question?

Is it an opportunity to teach, rather than punish?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

woodrow hog call

Teaching opportunity, shoot a watermelon make them pick up the pieces, explain that could be their skull. Something along that line is what I would do, then threaten their life if they ever touch it again without you there.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

twistitup

Teach him to use it safely, they might need it in an emergency when you're not around. Teach them to respect the gun.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on September 01, 2013, 10:03:36 pm
Teach him to use it safely, they might need it in an emergency when you're not around. Teach them to respect the gun.

Exactly.  A gun is a tool.  Poor parenting leads to an 18 year old not knowing how to properly use it. 
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 01, 2013, 10:12:56 pm

Exactly.  A gun is a tool.  Poor parenting leads to an 18 year old not knowing how to properly use it.
I came in the pic about a year ago, so I fully understand.

But I'm dealing with 17+ years of poor parenting.

LSUFan

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 01, 2013, 10:01:10 pm
Teaching opportunity, shoot a watermelon make them pick up the pieces, explain that could be their skull. Something along that line is what I would do, then threaten their life if they ever touch it again without you there.
+100

LSUFan

Quote from: twistitup on September 01, 2013, 10:03:36 pm
Yup

LSUFan

So, out the GF to her son and son's friend?

I guess gun safety does trump any of that.

tophawg19

if you think the kid can handle it, teach him to use the gun. that removes the curiosity factor .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

pigture perfect

You mention 17+ years of bad parenting. If you suspect that they would use the gun for illegal purposes, you gotta lock it up and put your boot where you mentioned. If they are just good kids the advice above is pretty spot on I think.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

LSUFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 01, 2013, 10:54:30 pm
You mention 17+ years of bad parenting. If you suspect that they would use the gun for illegal purposes, you gotta lock it up and put your boot where you mentioned. If they are just good kids the advice above is pretty spot on I think.
That's just it, I'm not sure.

I'm leaning toward the boot.

DOGALUM

Or don't leave a loaded .45 where a kid that you don't have gun confidence in can get to it.   

If another kid had done the same thing and went out and killed someone.....wouldn't you be calling for the ass of the adult that left it out as well as the ass of the kid?
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

LSUFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 01, 2013, 11:48:40 pm
Or don't leave a loaded .45 where a kid that you don't have gun confidence in can get to it.   

If another kid had done the same thing and went out and killed someone.....wouldn't you be calling for the ass of the adult that left it out as well as the ass of the kid?
No, it was on the top of a 6 foot fridge. I live in an open carry state, I have a loaded gun in every room of my house.

Me and my kids were raised to respect a gun, we ain't lib gunphobics.

LSUFan

DOGALUM

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:51:17 pm
No, it was on the top of a 6 foot fridge. I live in an open carry state, I have a loaded gun in every room of my house.

I get it.....but like you said....he's only been around a year.   It's on you.  Your gun....your house.   

LSUFan

Quote from: DOGALUM on September 01, 2013, 11:54:05 pm
I get it.....but like you said....he's only been around a year.   It's on you.  Your gun....your house.
Yep, which is why I should curb stomp his ass, and then teach him.

DOGALUM

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:56:07 pm
Yep, which is why I should curb stomp his ass, and then teach him.
And there is your answer.  I suspect you knew that all along.

BTW....if you need curb stomping lessons, ask twistup.   He is an expert at curb stomping.  If you don't believe me...just ask him.   

LSUFan

DOGALUM

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:59:09 pm
See OP
My bad.  I misunderstood. 

When I read that you wanted to "put a foot in his ass", I just assumed that you wanted to share an intimate moment with him as a reward for both of you. 

Can't blame me for thinking that......I mean......you are a fan of LSU.....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:51:17 pm

Well, the 6 ft. Fridge didn't seem to stop them from getting it.  If it is not locked up, it would be considered....."left unsecured". I would keep all the guns locked up.....until you are sure you can trust him.  Would also be very concerned that one of his "friends" now knows you keep a gun, or guns in your house loaded.  The kid's friend may have told others....not comforting.  You can never be sure what is happening at your house, when you are not there.
Teach the kid gun safety & how to shoot would be fine....but I would still keep them locked up.  If not, you are asking for major trouble you don't want.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

kodiakisland

First thing I would do is to impress upon them the fact that I am pissed at every one of them, the GF included.  Then I would explain why I am pissed and what could have happened.  Once they understand that, I would then offer to teach the boy about the gun and take him shooting.  Everyone should know how to safely handle a gun.   If they get to use one they are less likely to be curious and pick one up when they shouldn't.

If the 18yo doesn't get it, then unfortunately he would not be welcome in the house if I was not there.  Nothing worse than having someone in your house you can't trust.

Another thing, get a handgun safe. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Wayne Watson

Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 10:47:36 pm

But I'm dealing with 17+ years of poor parenting.

That can be tough.  Make him understand if it's not his, he doesn't touch it.
We don't rent pigs

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 02, 2013, 11:38:22 am
That can be tough.  Make him understand if it's not his, he doesn't touch it.
You and I get "that" Wayne, kids these days don't.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LSUFan on September 02, 2013, 09:13:28 pm

You and I get "that" Wayne, kids these days don't.

Sadly, agree with you about the kids. 

That is why they make gun safes. 

LSUFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 03, 2013, 12:35:16 am
Sadly, agree with you about the kids. 

That is why they make gun safes.

I'm not putting my guns in a vault where I have to ask for time out from a f stick that is breaking into my house so I can enter the combination and then load it. Obviously you and a few others in this thread have never exchanged fire with a POS.

The little mama's boy may do us all a favor if he............... well, you know what I mean.

My kids know better, and I don't need a damn safe with them. They know if they touch it w/o me being there, it won't be nice.

This little prick just has never been taught to respect other people's property and is ignorant as to the potential of a 230 grain SXT. But then, he don't respect anybody.

If anybody breaks in my house, I'll be calling 911 for THEM, not me.

kodiakisland

Yes, I have exchanged fire and am still here.  I have many teenagers in my house and everything is in a safe.  Takes less than 10 seconds to get my loaded pistol.  If you don't want to secure your guns that's fine, you just shouldn't have guests over who might get into them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

arkmark

Quote from: pigture perfect on September 01, 2013, 10:54:30 pm
Quote from: LSUFan on September 01, 2013, 11:29:52 pm
That's just it, I'm not sure.

I'm leaning toward the boot.

LSU,  I'm retired LEO, your exchange with Pigture Perfect above best illustrates what I'm seeing in a number of your posts and that is a lot of red flags.

You certainly doubt the quality of his parenting and don't seem sure of the answer to PP's question as to whether the kid (or friends) would be capable of illegal activity with the firearms.  My opinion, for what it's worth, is that your situation is beyond "curb stomping" and/or teaching him gun safety.  If you have doubts about the kid or a friend not using one of your firearms, which are readily available by your own decision, then it is your responsibility to either make them unavailable as some have suggested or remove the kid and his friends from the home.  And that doesn't even cover, as suggested, that knowledge of your firearms is now known by who knows how many of the kid's friends and the possible theft of one or more of the weapons.  It's on you Bud, they are your responsibility.  You own the problem.  Good luck.

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 03, 2013, 06:59:14 am
Yes, I have exchanged fire and am still here.  I have many teenagers in my house and everything is in a safe.  Takes less than 10 seconds to get my loaded pistol.  If you don't want to secure your guns that's fine, you just shouldn't have guests over who might get into them.
Good point

LSUFan

Quote from: arkmark on September 03, 2013, 06:37:55 pm
LSU,  I'm retired LEO, your exchange with Pigture Perfect above best illustrates what I'm seeing in a number of your posts and that is a lot of red flags.

You certainly doubt the quality of his parenting and don't seem sure of the answer to PP's question as to whether the kid (or friends) would be capable of illegal activity with the firearms.  My opinion, for what it's worth, is that your situation is beyond "curb stomping" and/or teaching him gun safety.  If you have doubts about the kid or a friend not using one of your firearms, which are readily available by your own decision, then it is your responsibility to either make them unavailable as some have suggested or remove the kid and his friends from the home.  And that doesn't even cover, as suggested, that knowledge of your firearms is now known by who knows how many of the kid's friends and the possible theft of one or more of the weapons.  It's on you Bud, they are your responsibility.  You own the problem.  Good luck.
Very good point, TY Sir.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LSUFan on September 03, 2013, 12:52:58 am
I'm not putting my guns in a vault where I have to ask for time out from a f stick that is breaking into my house so I can enter the combination and then load it. Obviously you and a few others in this thread have never exchanged fire with a POS.

The little mama's boy may do us all a favor if he............... well, you know what I mean.

My kids know better, and I don't need a damn safe with them. They know if they touch it w/o me being there, it won't be nice.

This little prick just has never been taught to respect other people's property and is ignorant as to the potential of a 230 grain SXT. But then, he don't respect anybody.

If anybody breaks in my house, I'll be calling 911 for THEM, not me.

Don't blame you for wanting to be able to defend yourself quickly, I do the same myself.

I have one pistol that I keep fully loaded with an extra mag beside it, in the dresser by the bed.....everything else is locked up in the safe.  If I leave for the day, or night.. that one goes in the safe & I carry one of my smaller ones for concealed carry.  If I had any kids around that I didn't fully trust, none would ever be left where they could get them while I was not at home. If you have multiple guns loaded around the house, a thief could very well find one while searching your house for valuables.....& possibly use that weapon against you or your family when you return home.  At the very least, you will lose any weapons that a thief can find.

devildoghawg

If you don't trust the results of 17 years of parenting that you had no control over, unfortunately there isn't much difference a boot in the ass is going to make at this point.  You should really get that weapon to a place that is still easily obtainable, but where they don't know its location.  If something were to happen, you would be held legally responsible for not having secured your firearms.  I am not a liberal wackjob that thinks no one should have guns, not a single gun in my house is locked up, but I also don't have any risk of someone besides myself or my wife gaining access to them.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

LSUFan

Quote from: devildoghawg on September 05, 2013, 05:59:22 pm
If you don't trust the results of 17 years of parenting that you had no control over, unfortunately there isn't much difference a boot in the ass is going to make at this point.  You should really get that weapon to a place that is still easily obtainable, but where they don't know its location.  If something were to happen, you would be held legally responsible for not having secured your firearms.  I am not a liberal wackjob that thinks no one should have guns, not a single gun in my house is locked up, but I also don't have any risk of someone besides myself or my wife gaining access to them.
+1

LSUFan

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on September 04, 2013, 01:39:47 am
Don't blame you for wanting to be able to defend yourself quickly, I do the same myself.

I have one pistol that I keep fully loaded with an extra mag beside it, in the dresser by the bed.....everything else is locked up in the safe.  If I leave for the day, or night.. that one goes in the safe & I carry one of my smaller ones for concealed carry.  If I had any kids around that I didn't fully trust, none would ever be left where they could get them while I was not at home. If you have multiple guns loaded around the house, a thief could very well find one while searching your house for valuables.....& possibly use that weapon against you or your family when you return home.  At the very least, you will lose any weapons that a thief can find.
Good point!

kodiakisland

I keep my guns locked up for two reasons.  Number one so I don't have to worry about people getting them that shouldn't.  Tomorrow I will have 20+ teenage girls in the house and don't need any worries besides what those 20+ girls in the house bring.  My son has friends over when he is home from college.  My nieces stay with us once or twice a month.  They get into enough as it is.  The second reason is I don't want to make it easy for thieves.  The majority of the guns are in a large safe that would be difficult to steal (but not impossible).  A few guns are in various safes designed for easy access in discreet locations.  Shotguns are in a traditional oak cabinet with glass front for display, but still locked.

Maybe one of these days I won't have a house full of people but will still keep the majority in a large safe.

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 05, 2013, 08:53:57 pm
I keep my guns locked up for two reasons.  Number one so I don't have to worry about people getting them that shouldn't.  Tomorrow I will have 20+ teenage girls in the house and don't need any worries besides what those 20+ girls in the house bring.  My son has friends over when he is home from college.  My nieces stay with us once or twice a month.  They get into enough as it is.  The second reason is I don't want to make it easy for thieves.  The majority of the guns are in a large safe that would be difficult to steal (but not impossible).  A few guns are in various safes designed for easy access in discreet locations.  Shotguns are in a traditional oak cabinet with glass front for display, but still locked.

Maybe one of these days I won't have a house full of people but will still keep the majority in a large safe.
If I was a thief, I would go straight for your safe, NOT the top of the fridge.

Y'all ever think of that?

kodiakisland

Yeah. But you better come with tools and a plan to get the safe.  If you do that and have the time to accomplish the task, nothing is safe.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: LSUFan on September 05, 2013, 09:00:01 pm
If I was a thief, I would go straight for your safe, NOT the top of the fridge.

Y'all ever think of that?

Exactly.  Gun cabinet....would not own one.  Safe....naw.  I want to be able to put my hands on it right now.  It may be in a night stand.  It may be behind the mirror of Connie's make up mirror.  I'm in my shop right now and see 3 firearms within 2 steps. 
We don't rent pigs

Wayne Watson

But...children need to learn at an early age that firearms are a tool.  Some are not and that is unfortunate.  A gun is like a pocket knife...it's a tool that should be used with, here's the key word, respect.
We don't rent pigs

twistitup

A positive about concealed carry is if it's with you, it can't be with somebody else.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

kodiakisland

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 05, 2013, 09:34:14 pm
Exactly.  Gun cabinet....would not own one.  Safe....naw.  I want to be able to put my hands on it right now.  It may be in a night stand.  It may be behind the mirror of Connie's make up mirror.  I'm in my shop right now and see 3 firearms within 2 steps. 

If I didn't have a safe and a cabinet I'd have a gun laying behind every chair, every door, in every closet, even some just scattered on the floor.  Maybe ya'll need more guns.

I also wonder how many kids you have in your house that aren't your own.  I have many every week.  I consider it reckless and  negligent to have guns just laying around the house when you have a steady supply of house guests that can get into them.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 05, 2013, 09:48:48 pm
If I didn't have a safe and a cabinet I'd have a gun laying behind every chair, every door, in every closet, even some just scattered on the floor.  Maybe ya'll need more guns.

I also wonder how many kids you have in your house that aren't your own.  I have many every week.  I consider it reckless and  negligent to have guns just laying around the house when you have a steady supply of house guests that can get into them.

LMAO.  Last count about 2 years ago was 43.  But my grandson who is 7 can handle the ones he knows he can handle.  It's all about education.  It not a matter the number of guns you own, just teach kids to respect them.
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

So you teach every one of your kids friends and grandkids friends, or did they not have any come over?

43 is a good start.  that would almost fill up one safe.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 05, 2013, 10:05:55 pm
So you teach every one of your kids friends and grandkids friends, or did they not have any come over?

43 is a good start.  that would almost fill up one safe.

I guess I have done a good job with my grandkids.  Never asked but maybe they know who is mature enough to use a gun.  You have to teach children to be responsible.  I guess that's too hard for some folks to understand.
We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 05, 2013, 10:17:25 pm
I guess I have done a good job with my grandkids.  Never asked but maybe they know who is mature enough to use a gun.  You have to teach children to be responsible.  I guess that's too hard for some folks to understand.

Obviously.  I'm not talking about my own kids.  I'm talking about the 20+ kids a week that are around here.  This week well over 30.  I guess I shouldn't worry because you probably taught all those kids about gun safety and respect, huh.

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 05, 2013, 09:23:07 pm
Yeah. But you better come with tools and a plan to get the safe.  If you do that and have the time to accomplish the task, nothing is safe.
Uh, like a hand truck?

LSUFan

Quote from: Wayne Watson on September 05, 2013, 09:34:14 pm
You GD Right!

Your typical theif will not think to look in the living room, in the big ass vase with flowers in it.

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 05, 2013, 10:19:40 pm
Obviously.  I'm not talking about my own kids.  I'm talking about the 20+ kids a week that are around here.  This week well over 30.  I guess I shouldn't worry because you probably taught all those kids about gun safety and respect, huh.
Not his job to instill responsibility, his (my) job is to exact accountability, much like law enforcement or the court system would do.

Touch my property, you get your ass hammered!

Welcome to the real world to the "everybody gets a trophy generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

kodiakisland

Quote from: LSUFan on September 05, 2013, 11:01:18 pm
Not his job to instill responsibility, his (my) job is to exact accountability, much like law enforcement or the court system would do.

Touch my property, you get your ass hammered!

Welcome to the real world to the "everybody gets a trophy generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Again, and I can't believe I have to keep repeating this, it's not about my own kids.  Maybe yall don't have people come over.  Maybe your kids didn't have friends.  I don't know.  We have many of our friends kids here a lot.  We have large groups over from church.  I am not around to supervise every single one of them.  If you want to leave guns laying around, fine.  I doubt any of my family will ever be at your house.  I choose to be responsible because I have many guests.  Maybe you don't care if something happens to a guest in your own home.  I don't know.  We've had up to 52 people over at a time and I can promise you I had no idea where half of them were at any given time.  Kids running around wild doing who knows what.  I'll lock my stuff up.

Oh, and you'll need more than a hand truck to get my safe out of the house, but I let you discover that when you come to take it.  I'm sure you are right and a thief has no idea where most people hide things around the house.

You secure your guns as you see fit and I'll do the same.  Best of luck to you and I really mean that.