Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas A&M's move to SEC has changed recruiting in Lone Star State

Started by MrKnowItAll, August 27, 2013, 12:15:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

http://newsok.com/texas-ams-move-to-sec-has-changed-recruiting-in-lone-star-state/article/3875436

Tevin Mitchel is happy where he is in Arkansas.

But the Razorbacks cornerback, whose father Eric played college football at Oklahoma, says things might've gone differently with his recruitment had Texas A&M been in the SEC when he was being recruited out of Mansfield (Texas) Legacy.
Things went the other way for Will Hines, a sophomore cornerback from Waco, Texas.

Hines was committed to Missouri until the Tigers announced they would move to the SEC.

"They were going to be playing all my friends and everything in Texas. I wanted to play against them, I didn't want to play with them," Hines said. "Then they came to the SEC so I came to Arkansas. Now that Texas A&M is in the SEC, since they come here and we go there, I think it'll help other teams recruit in Texas."

After getting at least five of the Lone Star state's top 50 recruits in every signing class from 2004-2010, Oklahoma has combined for just five in the past two seasons.

Mitchel was recruited by the Aggies out of high school, but the draw of playing in the SEC wound up being too much to ignore.

He wound up choosing the Razorbacks over Nebraska.

"Toward the end of my decision, I wanted to go somewhere where I'm playing against the best," Mitchel said. "When you go against the best, that's when it really brings out your talent. You have to play the best to be the best."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

56Hog

The only real question is how long and how far Texas and OU slide as powers before giving in to the inevitable.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

davehog

Quote from: 56Hog on August 27, 2013, 12:47:28 pm
The only real question is how long and how far Texas and OU slide as powers before giving in to the inevitable.
OU is the biggest loser in the recent conference realignment and their recent downward trend in recruiting will continue.  They used to be #2 or 1A in Texas in recruiting with A & M being third.  At best they are #3 now and even that is very debatable.   There is no reason, due to conference dominance, that we can't consistently win in head to head recruiting battles in TX vs. OU.

This is the biggest reason that I really did believe that Bob Stoops was going to be the coach here last year. In fact, I still think he might have been the absolute best option although I'm not complaining one bit about double B.

texas tush hog

Quote from: davehog on August 27, 2013, 12:59:53 pm
OU is the biggest loser in the recent conference realignment and their recent downward trend in recruiting will continue.  They used to be #2 or 1A in Texas in recruiting with A & M being third.  At best they are #3 now and even that is very debatable.   There is no reason, due to conference dominance, that we can't consistently win in head to head recruiting battles in TX vs. OU.

This is the biggest reason that I really did believe that Bob Stoops was going to be the coach here last year. In fact, I still think he might have been the absolute best option although I'm not complaining one bit about double B.

Texas A&M is rapidly becoming #1 in Texas with the teasips falling to # 2 with Oklahoma dropping out rapidly. For God's sake, they lost the top lineman in the state of Oklahoma to LSU and the top quarterback to Alabama. When that fence falls the Texas fence becomes a high wall to keep Zero-U out.

DeltaBoy

OU having to do like Tenn and go National cause TCU is undercutting them two in State.  The T-sips it was reported had less than 5 out of state players in the last recruiting class.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: texas tush hog on August 28, 2013, 09:26:19 pm
Texas A&M is rapidly becoming #1 in Texas with the teasips falling to # 2 with Oklahoma dropping out rapidly. For God's sake, they lost the top lineman in the state of Oklahoma to LSU and the top quarterback to Alabama. When that fence falls the Texas fence becomes a high wall to keep Zero-U out.
This has been accelerated by aTm having a Heisman winner type season in the SEC while Texas continues to keep Mack Brown well beyond his time.