Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bows

Started by MJ2, August 21, 2013, 04:12:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MJ2

What'a a good beginners bow for bow hunting and where can you get them?

PharmacistHog

Where are you located?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

gotyacovered

i think Bear has the best intro bow out there... truth or truth 2 is what i had. still one of my favs.
You are what you tolerate.

PharmacistHog

Need to just find a good outfitter in your area and let them measure you and hold a few different bows.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

MJ2

PharmacistHog

Quote from: MJ2 on August 22, 2013, 11:55:58 am
Central AR

I haven't really been to any of the shops in LR to be measured and all that, but Hunter's Refuge in White Hall (north of Pine bluff) if that's not too far, would be worth checking out. 

dmacs_wife

Bear makes some great intro bows but in my opinion PSE gives you the most bang for your buck. I believe the stinger 3g is their entry level and is smoother than any other bow I've shot in that 250-300 price range. I shoot a PSE Brute X and love it. Shoots like a $1000 bow for half the price. But in the end it comes down to what feels good to you because we all have our own opinions.

grayhawg

If the bow does not feel comfortable it makes no difference who makes it. My advice is go to a pro shop and tell them what you are looking for and shoot several bows and find the one that fits you best. If you stay with PSE, Diamond, Bear or Mathew's entry level bow named Mission you will be okay.

HuntnHog

If you are just getting started you might consider a used bow.  A lot of shops will have used bows that people trade in for newer models.  Buying a used bow at an archery shop would give you the advantage of having someone that can help you set up the bow and make sure it's a good fit.  By going this route you could get a nice bow at a reasonable price.

ifghog

Mission Bows are great bows....good place to start and not so pricey.

RazorBassin

Quote from: grayhawg on August 24, 2013, 09:30:20 am
If the bow does not feel comfortable it makes no difference who makes it. My advice is go to a pro shop and tell them what you are looking for and shoot several bows and find the one that fits you best. If you stay with PSE, Diamond, Bear or Mathew's entry level bow named Mission you will be okay.

This^^^^^Archers Advantage in LR is a good place to go

Flying Razorback

I just upgraded away from my beginner's bow.  I started with a PSE and it worked great for me.  But word of advice, don't pick up and shoot a higher end bow while testing them all.  I had my beginner's bow in for work and decided to try out the new high end bows and they were amazing.  I upgraded after seeing the difference.

Beginners bow also implies that the more expensive are more difficult.  But in reality the expensive ones shoot better and smoother a lot of times but are going to make you sink a lot more money in to them just to get started.

For beginners I'd suggest the $550 PSE XForce they have or the Hoyt Charger ready to hunt.  The Hoyt Charger felt great and was a great value.  I almost upgraded to it after shooting it.  Mission bows are good too.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

woodrow hog call

Does the higher brace height make a bow more forgiving? Have always heard that, and I have advised new bow hunters to find a bow that felt good to them, but try to get the highest brace height they could.
I don't much about the new bows out today though.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Flying Razorback

Quote from: woodrow hog call on September 10, 2013, 10:18:27 am
Does the higher brace height make a bow more forgiving? Have always heard that, and I have advised new bow hunters to find a bow that felt good to them, but try to get the highest brace height they could.
I don't much about the new bows out today though.

There was actually an article in Field and Stream at the begining of the summer that compared all the common statements and logic surrounding bows.  They took a bunch of archers with a bunch of different type of bows and shot 10,000 arrows each.  Their final numbers showed that brace height from long, to short, to medium did not appreciably change their groups.  Axle to Axle did not either until beyond 40 yards in the 60 yard range.  But 40 yards and in the groups were nearly identical with a 30" axle to axle and a 34" axle to axle.  Whisker biscuits and fall away rests also didn't really matter.

The biggest change in groups came with a thin grip versus a thick grip.  They all shot remarkbly better with a thin grip or grip removed than with a thick grip.

Anyway, I just switched from a short brace height bow to a longer brace height bow and am shooting it better but I think it's more because of how much better the new bow feels and shoots than the old one than the brace height.

AnonymousHog

I have a Mission and love it.  Most bows now and days there's not really a this ones better than this one because of this.  They all have pretty much the same technology. It all comes down to practicing.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: AnonymousHog on September 10, 2013, 02:29:53 pm
I have a Mission and love it.  Most bows now and days there's not really a this ones better than this one because of this.  They all have pretty much the same technology. It all comes down to practicing.

Absolutely right.  The tech in even the "cheaper" bows is still great compared to even 5-10 years ago.  The key is finding one that feels good to you.  You'll shoot that one slightly better than one that doesn't quite feel as good or doesn't fit you right.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Albert Einswine

Keep it traditional and get yourself a Horsebow Express from Kustom King archery for a mere $260. It'll kill 'em dead and you can't kill 'em deader than that no matter how much faster or teched up the bow is.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

95_alum

I can tell you what not to get: Browning. Their bows sucked so bad they ended up having PSE make them & slapped the Browning logo on it.
The cams were misaligned on the bow I had at that time which caused the string to derail- twice. I sent the bow back to Browning, Browning sends off to PSE, PSE looks at it, "Oh well, not our logo on the bow." PSE sends it back to Browning then back to me. Not a damn thing done about it. Rant over.

Albert Einswine

So PSE makes a steaming turd for someone else's logo. Sounds like a good business practice...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Archers advantage is a good place. I like Matthews and Hoyt bows

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on October 11, 2013, 07:30:59 pm
Archers advantage is a good place. I like Matthews and Hoyt bows

Archer's Advantage also has a good selection of traditional recurves and longbows, shooting gloves, tabs, etc... and they have a nice window decal.

tahlahog

I haven't lived in little rock for 20 some odd years, but when I did Archers Advantage was great, I believe the owners name was Gerald, he and they were very helpful to a young bowhunter then, but I don't know if they still own it still.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 11, 2013, 08:17:05 pm

Archer's Advantage also has a good selection of traditional recurves and longbows, shooting gloves, tabs, etc... and they have a nice window decal.

Bought my Roy Hall recurve, arrows, and shooting glove there.  Lots of beautiful recurves and longbows on the wall.  Word of advice:  Don't "see how it feels" on a really nice one after shooting one in your original price range unless you want to buy a lot more bow.  I'm still thrilled with my Roy Hall, but it definitely was a lot more bow than I was originally looking at!  Feels great still!