Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on cleaning / cooking large catfish

Started by twistitup, August 21, 2013, 09:21:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

I can easily filet a normal size catfish - not a problem frying the average catfish either; but what about those that weigh 10+ pounds.

I have caught some large flathead and blue cats, but they fry up completely different. I tried cutting smaller pieces, but the texture is still tough. Any advice? If I can't perfect cooking the big ones, I will begging throwing them back.

Crappie / average size catfish may be the only option, but I hope not.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

howie76

I know what you mean. Wish I had a suggestion but I really don't think there is one except to put them on the grill. That's what we do with the big cats but it just don't taste the same.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Understand what you are talking about.  Buddy of mine is a catfish only man, he doesn't fish for anything else.....& is very good at it.  Only uses rod & reel, no trotline, etc.  He has told me the same thing multiple times.  Does not like to eat the big fish,  says the best ones for taste are usually under 5 lbs.....& that is what he prefers to take home.  He throws everything 8-10 lbs. & up.....back.  Says they just don't taste as good, &  does not waste time anymore cleaning & cooking them.  Told me the ones around 2  1/2-3lbs., are what he considers the perfect size for taste.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

twistitup

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on August 22, 2013, 12:25:17 am
Understand what you are talking about.  Buddy of mine is a catfish only man, he doesn't fish for anything else.....& is very good at it.  Only uses rod & reel, no trotline, etc.  He has told me the same thing multiple times.  Does not like to eat the big fish,  says the best ones for taste are usually under 5 lbs.....& that is what he prefers to take home.  He throws everything 8-10 lbs. & up.....back.  Says they just don't taste as good, &  does not waste time anymore cleaning & cooking them.  Told me the ones around 2  1/2-3lbs., are what he considers the perfect size for taste.

Sounds about right...I've tried to prepare the big ones every way I know and just can't get the taste and texture right... I'll start throwing them back.

CPO Hog

On the larger cats, trim the brown and red color flesh off the filets, it's fat. This will give a better taste. I make the filets about 1/2" thick and cook it fast. This helps some for the texture. I perfer the 1-3 pound channel cat.

Deep Shoat

My dad was famous for two things: catching big catfish and the best fish fry's in Angelina County, Tx. 

He "purged" his big Opaloosas (Arkansas calls them flatheads) and Blues by putting them in a cage without food for 3 to 4 days before cleaning them.  This seemed to really improve the flavor.

Texture, IDK...
All Gas, No Brakes!

twistitup

Quote from: Deep Shoat on August 22, 2013, 02:10:12 pm
My dad was famous for two things: catching big catfish and the best fish fry's in Angelina County, Tx. 

He "purged" his big Opaloosas (Arkansas calls them flatheads) and Blues by putting them in a cage without food for 3 to 4 days before cleaning them.  This seemed to really improve the flavor.

Texture, IDK...

By any chance do you know how he cut them up ?

Huge fillets are too thick, did he cross cut the filets into thin strips or cut with the grain of big filets into thin layers?

DeltaBoy

We skin them and cut them in slabs along the joints in the Catfishes spine.  Bread and Pan fry to crisp then finish those real thick ones in the oven at 350.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 22, 2013, 03:45:44 pm
We skin them and cut them in slabs along the joints in the Catfishes spine.  Bread and Pan fry to crisp then finish those real thick ones in the oven at 350.

Steaks? Bone in?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on August 22, 2013, 02:23:47 pm
By any chance do you know how he cut them up ?

Huge fillets are too thick, did he cross cut the filets into thin strips or cut with the grain of big filets into thin layers?
He cut multiple layers of thin filets, then cross cut them into 2"x4" pieces (approximate).  He fried them very hot.

The post above about removing the red/brown bits is good advice also.
All Gas, No Brakes!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 22, 2013, 03:48:42 pm
Steaks? Bone in?

Those bone in steaks always seem to taste muddy to me.  I know lots of people who prefer the steaks, but I sure don't. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

twistitup

Thanks for the input on this subject. I will try cooking another big one and filet it the way d.s. is talking about...I would love to make them cook up right- but I hate bringing home fish and not being able to make the most of them.

I even like to make fish stock with the bones...

PharmacistHog

You should try making fries from the whiskers....
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on August 22, 2013, 04:37:57 pm
Thanks for the input on this subject. I will try cooking another big one and filet it the way d.s. is talking about...I would love to make them cook up right- but I hate bringing home fish and not being able to make the most of them.

I even like to make fish stock with the bones...
Purge it before you clean it.
All Gas, No Brakes!

twistitup

twistitup

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 22, 2013, 04:47:44 pm
You should try making fries from the whiskers....

No, but I do bury the heads / guts / scraps for fertilizer in flower beds and garden

LSUFan

Last ones I cleaned were over 50lb Blues, I can show you how, but, I'd be here till Christmas typing it all up.

A good sharp knife, and I never cut through any bones, I leave about 1/4" of meat on the skin, and then cut out the dark meat, cut the fillets into strips. I can do one in about 10 minutes.

Try cooking one in a Sauce Picante! It's off Dah Hook!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: twistitup on August 22, 2013, 06:41:35 pm
No, but I do bury the heads / guts / scraps for fertilizer in flower beds and garden

Obviously I was joking but thats awesome you do that. I dont fish enough now to get the chance. I do have a gigantic compost pile though.
Millennials suck...

tophawg19

an electric fillet knife is your friend on big fish . start behind gills , cut down to rib , go down almost to tail . flip over and run knife back up under skin . cut fillet into 3 or 4 inch pieces soak in baking soda and water. rinse well
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

PonderinHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 22, 2013, 09:38:19 pm
an electric fillet knife is your friend on big fish . start behind gills , cut down to rib , go down almost to tail . flip over and run knife back up under skin . cut fillet into 3 or 4 inch pieces soak in baking soda and water. rinse well
I heard soak it in lemon juice.

cbhawg03

Quote from: CPO Hog on August 22, 2013, 12:57:34 pm
On the larger cats, trim the brown and red color flesh off the filets, it's fat. This will give a better taste. I make the filets about 1/2" thick and cook it fast. This helps some for the texture. I perfer the 1-3 pound channel cat.

Cut any brown, red or yellow part of the meat off. Cut into pieces the same size as you do smaller catfish and you should have better luck. Also try freezing it in salt water instead of eating fresh or however you freeze it.

CPO Hog

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 22, 2013, 09:38:19 pm

Late May a friend and I went below pendleton dam (outside the 10 fish limit area) and caught 162 cats between 3 & 15 pounds. It took us about 3 hours to fillet them with method above. We then soaked some of them in hot grease.

LSUFan

Quote from: CPO Hog on August 23, 2013, 09:25:38 am
Late May a friend and I went below pendleton dam (outside the 10 fish limit area) and caught 162 cats between 3 & 15 pounds. It took us about 3 hours to fillet them with method above. We then soaked some of them in hot grease.
I'm a member of the fillet and release club. also :)

HoggyCat

I cut their tails off and let them bleed out. Also skim the red meat off as mentioned above. I cut filets into strips and/or "nuggets". DO NOT over cook. This will cause toughness. It doesn't take as long to cook fish in deep fryer as some would think.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LSUFan

I've found it's easier to clean them if you ice them down and let them get stiff for about 12 hours.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LSUFan on September 12, 2013, 04:50:51 pm
Now you're just talking dirty to us :)

Yep and we cut the brown and yellow fat off also and good salt water soak over night is good.  I really love the 1-3 pound ones that we head , gut and fry whole.