Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm about to purchase a new...

Started by bamahogfan, August 20, 2013, 10:39:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bamahogfan

.270 and scope but I'm having trouble deciding on what to get.  Thoughts? 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DOGALUM

How good of a combo do you want and what kind of shooting will you be doing.  How much shooting? 

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

bamahogfan

Mainly for deer hunting. Probably 250 yards would be tops where I hunt. I've looked at several different ones. I would hope to not exceed $1300 for the pair. Also needs to be a lefty model.

Flying Razorback

Winchester Model 70.  The new ones made out of South Carolina are incredible guns.  I love mine.  And you can't beat a Model 70 in .270.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

deshahawg

I just got a Ruger M77 in .270 and I love it. I'm looking for a leupold scope right now for it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: deshahawg on August 20, 2013, 04:15:54 pm
I just got a Ruger M77 in .270 and I love it. I'm looking for a leupold scope right now for it.

I bought a Vari-X III with the 30mm tube last year for a 300 magnum.  I love it!  I think I gave a little over 600 bucks for it but I couldn't be happier with it. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

kodiakisland

It's mostly just a matter of personal preference.  There are really very few guns out there that I would not consider using.  Go to a couple of stores and see which one feels good in your hand.  Decide what features you want like blued or stainless, wood or synthetic, bolt or single shot, etc.  Single shots often times get over looked but there are some really great choices and are all good for lefties.

As far as scope, get the best you can afford regardless of which brand you want.  No matter how accurate the rifle is, it will only shoot as well as the optics allow.  Plan on spending at least $300 for the scope and realize bigger is not always better.  Larger objectives don't always increase light transmission or clarity and often only add weight and expense.  Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I've used were under 40mm.  Quality is better than quantity.  It also doesn't take very high power to shoot deer at 250-300 yards.  No need for a varmint scope on a deer rifle.

As far as what I would buy today if I was in the market for a .270 and scope it would be the following:
Blued/wood stock gun:  Cooper model 52 with a 2.5-8X36 leupold
Stainless/synthetic:  Forbes rifle with 2.5-8X36 leupold or nosler M48 with same scope
I realize those are slightly out of your price range, but not by much.  These days I look at buying a gun to use the rest of my life.  A couple hundred dollars over the next 20 years or so is worth having a great rifle.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 20, 2013, 05:12:47 pm
It's mostly just a matter of personal preference.  There are really very few guns out there that I would not consider using.  Go to a couple of stores and see which one feels good in your hand.  Decide what features you want like blued or stainless, wood or synthetic, bolt or single shot, etc.  Single shots often times get over looked but there are some really great choices and are all good for lefties.

As far as scope, get the best you can afford regardless of which brand you want.  No matter how accurate the rifle is, it will only shoot as well as the optics allow.  Plan on spending at least $300 for the scope and realize bigger is not always better.  Larger objectives don't always increase light transmission or clarity and often only add weight and expense.  Some of the clearest and brightest scopes I've used were under 40mm.  Quality is better than quantity.  It also doesn't take very high power to shoot deer at 250-300 yards.  No need for a varmint scope on a deer rifle.

You obviously know your stuff, but I've got several decent scopes, and that Vari-x III witht he 30mm tube is the brightest of all of them. 

bamahogfan

Thanks for the input guys. I will let you know what I end up with.

kodiakisland

I'm currently in the market for a new rifle and know how tough it can be to choose when you don't have a specific model in mind from the beginning.  You start comparing features to prices and how it feels and wonder if you're making the right choice or not.  Sometimes buying a gun is super easy because I know exactly what I want and other times it's frustrating because there are too many good choices.

I'm trying to find the perfect DGR but can't even decide the cartridge.  I want a .416 but am torn between the Remington and the rigby and then I'm trying to choose between four different makes and models within my price range.  These are the "good ole days"  when it comes to guns.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 20, 2013, 05:44:21 pm
I'm currently in the market for a new rifle and know how tough it can be to choose when you don't have a specific model in mind from the beginning.  You start comparing features to prices and how it feels and wonder if you're making the right choice or not.  Sometimes buying a gun is super easy because I know exactly what I want and other times it's frustrating because there are too many good choices.

I'm trying to find the perfect DGR but can't even decide the cartridge.  I want a .416 but am torn between the Remington and the rigby and then I'm trying to choose between four different makes and models within my price range.  These are the "good ole days"  when it comes to guns.

Educate a dumbass guy like me. Whats a DGR?

kodiakisland

Sorry, dangerous game rifle.  Something to hunt buffalo with.

BirdDawg

I just bought a Tikka t3 308. After doing extension research it seemed like a solid buy and a lot of bang for the buck. I am dressing it with a Leopold VII 4.5x14x50. I am looking to do some slaying with it this fall. I anticipate my other rifles staying in the safe after this gun...unless somebody needs to borrow for a hunt

Hawgon

I am intrigued by the Sauer 101 and the Mauser M12.  I go back and forth.  I really can't justify a new hunting rifle, at least not until I thin the herd a bit.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hawgon on August 20, 2013, 09:58:45 pm
I am intrigued by the Sauer 101 and the Mauser M12.  I go back and forth.  I really can't justify a new hunting rifle, at least not until I thin the herd a bit.

I'm not crazy about the pressed in barrels.  Now the 202 I really like.  I used a 202 for several years in Germany.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 20, 2013, 09:23:03 pm
Sorry, dangerous game rifle.  Something to hunt buffalo with.

I learn something everyday. What caliber constitutes dangerous game?

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 20, 2013, 10:20:42 pm
I'm not crazy about the pressed in barrels.  Now the 202 I really like.  I used a 202 for several years in Germany.

Yeah, but I'm not ever going to wear out a barrel on a hunting rifle anyway.  Buying a nice barrel and having a good smith put one on, wouldn't be all that much less than just buying another rifle, so I don't think it is all that big of a deal.  Having the lugs actually lock up in the barrel should actually give them a slight advantage in inherent accuracy anyway.  Like I said, I'm intrigued by their features, lines, and light weight.  A 9.3x62 that comes in at around 7.5 lbs all up would be a pretty potent package.

I'll have to get my hands on one somewhere and give them a once over.

Hawgon

Quote from: PharmacistHog on August 20, 2013, 11:54:07 pm
I learn something everyday. What caliber constitutes dangerous game?

Generally, .375 H&H and up, although in some instances the definition can be stretched down to the 9.3x62.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hawgon on August 21, 2013, 08:58:23 am
Yeah, but I'm not ever going to wear out a barrel on a hunting rifle anyway.  Buying a nice barrel and having a good smith put one on, wouldn't be all that much less than just buying another rifle, so I don't think it is all that big of a deal.  Having the lugs actually lock up in the barrel should actually give them a slight advantage in inherent accuracy anyway.  Like I said, I'm intrigued by their features, lines, and light weight.  A 9.3x62 that comes in at around 7.5 lbs all up would be a pretty potent package.

I'll have to get my hands on one somewhere and give them a once over.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a non issue.  Just too old fashion I guess.  Blaser doesn't have screwed in barrels either and they do just fine.

ifghog

Quote from: BirdDawg on August 20, 2013, 09:25:57 pm
I just bought a Tikka t3 308. After doing extension research it seemed like a solid buy and a lot of bang for the buck. I am dressing it with a Leopold VII 4.5x14x50. I am looking to do some slaying with it this fall. I anticipate my other rifles staying in the safe after this gun...unless somebody needs to borrow for a hunt

I bought a TIKKA .270 AND PUT A 12/32 Nikon scope on it. I spent 1,200 on the set up. It Is the best shooting gun I have ever owned and I have many....love the TIKKA brand.

bamahogfan

Good to see the positive comments on the TIKKA's.  That's what I've been leaning towards lately just haven't pulled the trigger yet!  They've got a lefty model at Cabelas in Rogers. 

Hawgon

Quote from: bamahogfan on August 21, 2013, 04:06:20 pm
Good to see the positive comments on the TIKKA's.  That's what I've been leaning towards lately just haven't pulled the trigger yet!  They've got a lefty model at Cabelas in Rogers. 

Honestly, I'm not saying this to disparage your choice or to discourage you from it, on the contrary, the Tikka is a fine rifle that is known for its accuracy.  But, if I were going to buy a Tikka, I might just go buy something like a Savage or a Ruger American Rifle.  They are basically the same thing.  The Tikka stock might be slightly stiffer/better than the Ruger's but that is about it.  Yeah, the Tikka is slightly more refined, but it is basically a tubed receiver, three lugged rifle, with a plastic magazine, and a plastic cocking piece cover.  In other words, they are all made for maximum cost reduction to sell to a low price point...only the Tikka is a good bit more expensive than the others.

On the other hand, a Winchester Model 70 or a Ruger 77 has steel parts and while certain parts of their designs were tweaked to make them easier to manufacture, they didn't start out from a manufacturer's concept to make the cheapest rifle possible.

ALL of them are good rifles and the truth is the Savage, the American, and the Tikka will usually outshoot the Model 70, the Ruger 77, the Kimber, or even several other high end rifles...they just aren't quite the same.

None of this makes much different unless you have too many rifles already, so don't necessarily take offense and by all means, don't let this discourage you from buying whatever you want.  It is just that for me, the Tikka is a great $500 rifle, but not a great $800 rifle.  And for the prices the Tikka is selling for today, I might just get a $400 rifle and call it a day if the features to be had in a Tikka were what I was looking for.

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 21, 2013, 12:55:18 pm
Yeah, I'm sure it's a non issue.  Just too old fashion I guess.  Blaser doesn't have screwed in barrels either and they do just fine.

On the other hand, for roughly the same amount of money, a Forbes Rifle in 7mm-08 at 38 inches and 4 1/2 pounds looks REALLY interesting.  That could really be the perfect white tail rifle with a little 2x7 Leupold on it.

tophawg19

i'm a big fan of the remington 700 bdl. . Savage has come a long way in the last few years but i would go 700 . remington's out of the box accuracy is legendary
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hawgon on August 21, 2013, 04:44:01 pm
On the other hand, for roughly the same amount of money, a Forbes Rifle in 7mm-08 at 38 inches and 4 1/2 pounds looks REALLY interesting.  That could really be the perfect white tail rifle with a little 2x7 Leupold on it.

I've handled several forbes rifle and they are really nice.  Great feel and balance.  No wonder Melvin gets over $3500 for the custom version.

DOGALUM

I bought a CZ550 last summer.  So far......I absolutely love it.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

TechHog

Have a browning Abolt with a zeiss conquest 3x9.  Shoots very tight groups with Federal Fusion. 

BirdDawg

Quote from: bamahogfan on August 21, 2013, 04:06:20 pm

Wrong....I bought it 2 weeks ago

CPO Hog

Quote from: TechHog on August 21, 2013, 05:32:22 pm
Have a browning Abolt with a zeiss conquest 3x9.  Shoots very tight groups with Federal Fusion.
I've been shooting a Browing A-bolt 270 since '92 with various scopes. No complaints and no desire to buy something else.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: CPO Hog on August 22, 2013, 12:36:13 pm
I've been shooting a Browing A-bolt 270 since '92 with various scopes. No complaints and no desire to buy something else.

I still like to have a "back-up" just in case something happens during season or if I'm on a trip. 

kodiakisland

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 21, 2013, 05:22:57 pm
I bought a CZ550 last summer.  So far......I absolutely love it.   

I had a 527 and 550 in the full stock version in Germany.  Wasn't able to bring them back because of the stupid paper work.  I currently have a 527 and am looking at the 550 magnum as my next purchase.  They make good stuff.

ifghog

Quote from: Hawgon on August 21, 2013, 04:34:36 pm
Honestly, I'm not saying this to disparage your choice or to discourage you from it, on the contrary, the Tikka is a fine rifle that is known for its accuracy.  But, if I were going to buy a Tikka, I might just go buy something like a Savage or a Ruger American Rifle.  They are basically the same thing.  The Tikka stock might be slightly stiffer/better than the Ruger's but that is about it.  Yeah, the Tikka is slightly more refined, but it is basically a tubed receiver, three lugged rifle, with a plastic magazine, and a plastic cocking piece cover.  In other words, they are all made for maximum cost reduction to sell to a low price point...only the Tikka is a good bit more expensive than the others.

On the other hand, a Winchester Model 70 or a Ruger 77 has steel parts and while certain parts of their designs were tweaked to make them easier to manufacture, they didn't start out from a manufacturer's concept to make the cheapest rifle possible.

ALL of them are good rifles and the truth is the Savage, the American, and the Tikka will usually outshoot the Model 70, the Ruger 77, the Kimber, or even several other high end rifles...they just aren't quite the same.

None of this makes much different unless you have too many rifles already, so don't necessarily take offense and by all means, don't let this discourage you from buying whatever you want.  It is just that for me, the Tikka is a great $500 rifle, but not a great $800 rifle.  And for the prices the Tikka is selling for today, I might just get a $400 rifle and call it a day if the features to be had in a Tikka were what I was looking for.
I went upper end for him. I also have a stainless Savage that is extremely accurate....the biggest difference in the guns that I see are 200 yds and beyond..Tikka out performs just a bit and...the action on the bolt on the TIkka is far superior to the Savage. For the money a Savage is a great gun.

kodiakisland

Tikkas can shoot, but they are entry level guns.  Way too much plastic on them for my taste, but for the money they are a good option.  Savages are ugly and manufactured in a way to reduce costs, but are very solid and shoot as good as any production gun out there.

Really though, there are few bad choices.  I personally wouldn't even be near a mossberg rifle when it went off and don't care for the pot metal used by browning.  Other than that I've owned and shot just about everything else.  Guns today are far better than what were produced 50 years ago, regardless of the nostalgia for them.

Hawgon

I'm really fond of the 7x57.  I have one I built myself on an Argentine Mauser.  I could see myself getting on of those M70 Featherweights.

Hudge

If you want value for the dollar, look at the Marlin X7.  I have two and the most I paid was $260 new for them.  I have a Nikon Buckmaster scope on one, and a Burris FFII on the other.  My son carried the .270 black bear hunting here in AK, and the .308 one caribou hunting two weeks ago.  I ended up shooting the caribou with my .300WM, but the .308  killed a few whitetails before we left AR in 2010, and 2011.

bamahogfan

I ended up getting a Remington 700 with a zeiss 4-12x42. I'm happy with it and ready to run some lead through it.

DeWayne R

When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

Pistol Pete

Ok... dumbass statement here... I have a Savage 270 with a VXIII that was given to me by my nephew. I've heard that Savage barrels are very good, I have no idea. Cheap gun, I have no issues with it.

Free or not, it shoots very well

kodiakisland

Savages are ugly but they are shooters.

bamahogfan

Quote from: DeWayne R (Deewain32) on September 26, 2013, 09:28:49 pm
Is it a left hand bolt.

No it's a righty. My son is right handed and I decided not to buy any more lefty rifles that he isn't going to want in the future.

deshahawg

I ended up with a Zeiss scope on my M77 270 haven't gotten to shoot it yet.