Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handgun hunters??

Started by FORTVEGAS, August 18, 2013, 03:22:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

Any handgun hunters out there? I just bought a .44mag, any tips for a newb??

devildoghawg

Quote from: FORTVEGAS on August 18, 2013, 03:22:46 pm
Any handgun hunters out there? I just bought a .44mag, any tips for a newb??

Practice, A LOT. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

kodiakisland

Yep. Lots of practice.  Better yet, get a 22lr in a similar size pistol and do a whole lot of practice.  I love hunting with me ruger bisley 45 colt.  I used to be pretty good out to 75 yards but don't shoot it near as much anymore.  Limit my shots to 50 yards now.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

FORTVEGAS

The scope is a Burris 4X

[attachment deleted by admin]

woodrow hog call

I  would love to own one of those. A friend of mine had one and it was the best shooting handgun I have ever shot, I was knocking a prestone jug around from 100 yards with it, without a scope.
I really liked how it fit my hand. You may need to shoot hand loads to get good groups, so don't give up if the off the shelf ammo doesn't group well.

Congrats on a nice gun. I used to hunt with a Super Blackhawk in stainless but I never got a chance shoot at a deer with it. Kind of scared myself one day when I was walking back and heard the brush pop then a deer jumped over the trail in front of me. I had been carrying that super blackhawk butt forward on my left hip, but when started to walk again after the deer had disappeared I realized I had that pistol out and cocked but never remembered drawing.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

95_alum

Heard some great reviews on holsters the other day from a company in Alaska, Diamond D:

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: 95_alum on August 23, 2013, 10:34:18 pm
Heard some great reviews on holsters the other day from a company in Alaska, Diamond D:

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/Chest_Holsters.php
Nice looking holsters, little pricey anything cheaper?

DeltaBoy

Get a scope for it and shot often.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

I have hunted with a Super Blackhawk, S&W 29, and Redhawk for many years - all with open sights.  The only one I have now is a SBH, because it is what I shoot best.  Just spend a lot of time practicing from different ranges and positions (sitting, kneeling, etc.).  Hunting with a handgun is a real challenge - kind of like bowhunting.  You have to get closer to the game.

kodiakisland

I much prefer open sights on revolvers.  I hunt quite a bit with a bisley BH.  I do like scoped handguns like the remington XP100 or weatherby CFP.  One of these days I'll find a deal on a savage striker I can't refuse.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

I like my Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag. I definitely recommend a shoulder holster as to a hip style. Especially while moving through wooded areas. It's just way more comfortable.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

pigture perfect

Oh, and open sights for sure.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

95_alum