Started by Dudeman, August 09, 2013, 07:28:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman

24/7-23
ESPN-38
Scout-37
Rivals-32

I think I like 24/7 the best.  ;D
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

The_Boot_stops_here

I believe 24/7 commits the most resources to what they do (I could be wrong)....I looked at 24/7 last yr too and I have no idea if they had us the highest of the group or the lowest...I just prefer them

TeedupHigh

The only ranking that is worth a damn is the one the Coaching Staff gives.....

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: TeedupHigh on August 09, 2013, 07:58:10 pm

that cant be true

Bubba's Bruisers

Yes, but we don't really know where they actually ranked the kids they sign.  It's the difference between evaluation skills and recruiting skills.  BP was a master at the former, but struggled with the latter.  I'd say BB is equally excellent at both.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

regi

Rivals and Scout have yet to rank a ton of players, 247 has ranked and evaluated the most players currently. They have a large network, including about half the guys that use o work for Rivals. 247 has taken over the Atlanta market. Barton Simmons has a weekly show on CSS and regular interviews on a couple sports stations down here.

Speedracer

Oh geeze
Like smites bother me.

LJHOG

Rivals is slowly becoming extinct thanks to sites like this.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: LJHOG on August 10, 2013, 03:25:45 pm
Rivals is slowly becoming extinct thanks to sites like this.

I don't see how both Rivals and Scout stay in business. Can't be that many people paying for memberships there anymore

Oklahawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 10, 2013, 03:32:59 pm
I don't see how both Rivals and Scout stay in business. Can't be that many people paying for memberships there anymore

They could combine and still not be functional.

Given the scope of covering recuiting...and the relative small amount of revenue it generates...I can't see how anyone profits from it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

redeye

Quote from: ImHogginIt on August 10, 2013, 03:32:59 pm

Rivals is living off it's reputation from the past and it's name. I believe Scout is affiliated with ESPN somehow and that likely keeps them in business.

Pickwick Hog

Scout is now affiliated with Fox Sports.
Rivals was bought by Yahoo.
The same guy that owned Rivals, Shannon Terry, started up 247.

In football, 247 now has the most guys in the field and is more comprehensive than any other site.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

redeye

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on August 10, 2013, 03:45:59 pm
Scout is now affiliated with Fox Sports.
Rivals was bought by Yahoo.
The same guy that owned Rivals, Shannon Terry, started up 247.

In football, 247 now has the most guys in the field and is more comprehensive than any other site.

I'd forgotten about that, but aren't they also affiliated with ESPN somehow? I know it mentions it on their wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout.com

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: redeye on August 10, 2013, 03:50:46 pm
I'd forgotten about that, but aren't they also affiliated with ESPN somehow? I know it mentions it on their wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout.com

Could be, but they don't advertise it.
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

redeye

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on August 10, 2013, 03:52:41 pm
Could be, but they don't advertise it.

Think I figured it out by checking one of the sources, which links to a Washington Times article. Seems that Scout sites for Florida, Oklahoma, USC and tOSU left Scout and filed a lawsuit against them. They eventually teamed up with ESPN, but it doesn't mention Scout.com having any affiliation with ESPN.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/31/espn-college-sites-forming-partnerships/

Pickwick Hog

Quote from: redeye on August 10, 2013, 03:57:55 pm
Think I figured it out by checking one of the sources, which links to a Washington Times article. Seems that Scout sites for Florida, Oklahoma, USC and tOSU left Scout and filed a lawsuit against them. They eventually teamed up with ESPN, but it doesn't mention Scout.com having any affiliation with ESPN.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jul/31/espn-college-sites-forming-partnerships/

I only trust Scout in basketball and 247 in football. ESPN has a bias towards money.

redeye

Quote from: Pickwick Hog on August 10, 2013, 04:02:46 pm
I only trust Scout in basketball and 247 in football. ESPN has a bias towards money.

Yea, I don't put much value in ESPN, either. They do have a few good scouts, but as a whole, their service sucks.

I don't follow basketball, but I agree on 247 with football. I don't actually put that much value in any service, but some are almost worthless. I notice plenty of errors and problem with 247, but they're still the best of the lot.

VAARazorback

Quote from: Dudeman on August 09, 2013, 07:28:52 pm
24/7-23
ESPN-38
Scout-37
Rivals-32

I think I like 24/7 the best.  ;D

It's great we are in the top 25, but we are still in the bottom of the SEC
http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=SEC
11th/14

redeye

Quote from: VAARazorback on August 13, 2013, 12:19:10 pm
11th/14

Wow! That's only the 19,346th time this has been brought to my attention, lately.

Thanks!

P.S. You guys put WAY too much value in where we rank among SEC teams.

Razorhawg09

At least Simmons actually played collegiate football. Think he played QB at Harvard or somewhere. I think one of the other 24/7 analysts used to do scouting work for FSU.

Music City Hog

Quote from: redeye on August 13, 2013, 12:33:12 pm

Wow

Redhogs

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 13, 2013, 12:38:16 pm

Wow
He's right...waaay to many biases involved, along with lack of knowledge about allot of players. Recruiting services are money making schemes....nothing more.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ricepig

Wow

I suspect there isn't to much difference in players with an 86 rating from those with 88. Now, I'd say those in the 95 range are game changers.

jry04

Quote from: VAARazorback on August 13, 2013, 12:19:10 pm
11th/14

The difference between 11th and top 6 is minimal. A few players here and there and the rankings change drastically. At this point, the rankings are mostly based off quantity, not quality. We have every bit as good a class as Ole Miss, Vanderbilt, and UK, but don't have the #s they have as of right now.

Kentucky, Ole Miss, and Tennessee all have 20+ commits, while we have just 16 at this point. If we had 25 commits already, and all were 3 stars, we would be in or close to the top 15. However, by signing day our class would at the bottom of the SEC and outside the top 25. As we get more commits, especially if they are the big recruits we are in on, then our ranking will jump significantly.

If we add shorter on Saturday, then you could could see us jump up into the top 20.

jry04

Wow
Why are you saying wow? It is true. We were the 3rd best team in the SEC for 2 straight years with recruiting classes that were consistently ranking outside of the top 25 and at the bottom of the SEC. There isn't much difference between our class at #11 in the SEC, and the teams who are ranked 6 through 10.

DCimport

ESPN has not evaluated Jermaine Eluemunor. I would think that would raise ranking on ESPN site. He is a 4* on every other service.  Who knows who will move up and down. 

I wish recruiting services would do the enrollment rankings. Rivals did them in the past but haven't seen one from them since 2011. 

Music City Hog

August 13, 2013, 02:14:54 pm #26 Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:27:48 pm by Music City Hog
I'm not completely a recruiting ranking guy.  I'm an offers guy.  I'd take a lower rated guy with 10 SEC offers over a highly rated kid with offers from Kentucky and Tulsa every single time BUT, rankings have shown to relate to success. 

*  9 of the past 11 teams with a No. 1 recruiting class by Rivals played for the BCS championship within three years, and 8 won the title.

*  48% of first team All Americans last year were ranked in the top 10 at their position by Rivals.

*  Six of the past seven BCS champions had at least three top-10 classes by Rivals during the four years before their title.

*  Here are the last 7 BCS champs and their recruiting rankings per Rivals the previous four years of their title:

Year   BCS Champion   Recruiting Class in Previous 4 Years
2006   Florida            No. 2, No. 15, No. 10, No. 2
2007   LSU                    No. 4, No. 7, No. 22, No. 2
2008   Florida            No. 3, No. 1, No. 2, No. 15
2009   Alabama            No. 1, No. 1, No. 10, No. 11
2010   Auburn            No. 4, No. 19, No. 20, No. 7
2011   Alabama            No. 1, No. 5, No. 1, No. 1
2012   Alabama            No. 1, No. 1, No. 5, No. 1

Look, we all can name 2 stars that were hits and 5 stars that were busts and vice versa. I don't think recruiting rankings are the end all, be all by any means, but to just absolutely dismiss them as useless just doesn't match up with historical facts in regards to winning titles. History and stats suggest that you better recruit and recruit at crazy good levels in order to take home the hardware.

jamie72921

Recruiting rankings reflect the on field performance of programs. They do not predict them.

It is a racket. Alabama has out recruited the world for decades now. Is it really that hard to rank their classes highly after decades of on field success?

There are also plenty of schools that rated highly who lay big eggs with coaches who have won big at times.

Recruiting rankings are for sheeple mostly. So they can have someone to give their money to for bragging rights about nothing.
Bless your heart

Music City Hog

Quote from: jamie72921 on August 13, 2013, 02:48:54 pm
Recruiting rankings reflect the on field performance of programs. They do not predict them.

It is a racket. Alabama has out recruited the world for decades now. Is it really that hard to rank their classes highly after decades of on field success?

There are also plenty of schools that rated highly who lay big eggs with coaches who have won big at times.

Recruiting rankings are for sheeple mostly. So they can have someone to give their money to for bragging rights about nothing.

I just provided facts, it's up to each individual to look at those facts and form their own thoughts and opinions.  Thanks for sharing yours.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Redhogs on August 13, 2013, 12:47:28 pm
He's right...waaay to many biases involved, along with lack of knowledge about allot of players. Recruiting services are money making schemes....nothing more.
I agree with all of this but I still think it means something if we are battling for players with the Mississippi schools and the Big Ten instead of Bama, LSU, and ATM.  Those programs will probably all take like 25 guys this year that could have come to arkansas.  We'll probably take like 3-5 that had offers to 2 of those schools.  I think we can eventually compete but we aren't going to win a SEC championship with that kind of recruiting. 

navyhog24

August 13, 2013, 03:34:25 pm #30 Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 04:03:09 pm by navyhog24
It will never happen. It will never happen unless we start ponying up the cash to the recruits like how Ole Miss and other schools do now and and even have done in the past. We may get Top 15 at some point but we'll never be top 10 in recruiting rankings. This topic is rehashed every single year and almost at a once a month occurence nowadays. Let it go.

Music City Hog

Quote from: navyhog24 on August 13, 2013, 03:34:25 pm
It will never happen. It will never happen unless we start ponying up the cash to the recruits like how Ole Miss and other schools do now and and even have done in the past. We may get Top 15 at some point but we'll never be top 10 in recruiting rankings. This topic is rehashed every single year and almost at a once a occurence nowadays. Let it go.

I have no problem with paying recruits.  It's been proven cash can't be traced.  Just don't get caught.  I hope we are doing it already.

VAARazorback

Quote from: redeye on August 13, 2013, 12:33:12 pm

Maybe it's because we Play in the SEC

redeye

Quote from: jry04 on August 13, 2013, 12:58:49 pm
Why are you saying wow? It is true. We were the 3rd best team in the SEC for 2 straight years with recruiting classes that were consistently ranking outside of the top 25 and at the bottom of the SEC. There isn't much difference between our class at #11 in the SEC, and the teams who are ranked 6 through 10.

This is mostly what I meant. Whether you're talking historically or recently, Arkansas has been a consistent top-20 program. Even in the SEC, we've at least been in the middle of the pack. So it's not like we've ever been bringing up the rear because recruiting services think our classes are among the worst in the SEC. Even if they're right, we still have a top-25 recruiting class right now, so we're not doing bad at all.

I happen to think there are many reasons why Arkansas is rated lower compared to our SEC foes. One is that our classes likely are not as good, but I also don't think most services spend as much time rating players in many of the areas we recruit, so they end up with lower ratings. MCH, I don't dismiss recruiting rankings; I simply put them into proper perspective. I know they have value, but they're not the end-all, be-all or Arkansas has accomplished some serious over-performing through the years.

But, as jry04 said, we had the 3rd best team in the SEC for 2 straight years (we we're actually the 2nd best in 2010). There's a lot more that goes into spitting out championship teams then recruiting rankings, and as long as we're in the ballpark with our SEC foes, then I'm okay with that. Plus, I just see it as ridiculous to expect better classes, when we're at a severe disadvantage to most SEC schools with our geographical location.

I guess I'm just tired of someone always demeaning our class, by noting how it's bringing up the rear among SEC teams, even though it would rank 2nd or 3rd in almost every other BCS conference. It's not an unworthy comment, but neither is it helpful or important enough to repeat ad-nauseum. I don't know if Arkansas has ever signed a top-10 class in it's history, and I suspect that we'll continue to do just fine without one in the future, although I'd love to have one.

Music City Hog

We haven't signed a top 10 class and we likely won't.  As a result, we are unlikely to win a championship in our lifetime.  We are too disadvantaged by geography.  It's unfortunate really. 

tophawg19

a class top loaded with skill players will always out rank one loaded with linemen but i'll take great linemen 1st every time, even though they won't rank as high

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

Quote from: Music City Hog on August 13, 2013, 06:27:32 pm
We haven't signed a top 10 class and we likely won't.  As a result, we are unlikely to win a championship in our lifetime.  We are too disadvantaged by geography.  It's unfortunate really.

Now you have me saying wow. I know things were different in '64, but we won a championship then. We came close in '65, 69, 77, '82 and even '06 and '10. You may be right, but I'm not buying it. I don't know if you're being serious or facetious, but I'm not buying it.

I think we can win a championship and sign a top-10 class, but neither will be easy and neither is mutually inclusive of the other.