Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attention Fly Fishermen

Started by hogcoots, August 07, 2013, 10:31:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcoots

As I normally do before making a purchase, I try to get feedback from my Hogvillian brethren.  Give me your thoughts on a new fly rod/reel in terms of brands that I should consider.  I am looking for a 9" 5 wt. as a general purpose set up.  Appreciate your thoughts.

95_alum

I'd love an Orvis but too rich for my blood. Very happy with my Cortland rods. Their customer service is outstanding. I was helping the son of a friend of mine releasing a rainbow he just caught when some blue-hair stepped on my rod & broke it. Cortland had a replacement for me at a very reduced cost. The replacement was on my doorstep 5 days after they received my broken rod.

One note regarding Orvis:
"Rods marked with the letter R on the cork grip are reconditioned rods that are sold at discount events. When these rods are sold, the purchaser understands that they do not carry the Orvis unconditional 25-Year Guarantee, nor do they carry the lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship."
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=446&newwindow=1

Hogfly

If you're not set on American Made, then it's hard to beat Temple Fork Outfitters for value. Great price, and a good warranty (I think it's like $25 to replace a broken rod, no questions asked).

Scott and Sage are probably two of the best makers out there currently for high end rods.

Reels: I like Lamson, personally.

If I were you, I'd go to my local fly shop (Mclellan's if you're in NWA, The Toad Fly in Central Arkansas, Dally's in North Central) and cast some different rods then purchase from them (don't pull the move of testing their rods then buying online).

Albert Einswine

Greys, the value line offering from Hardy of England is a good deal in my opinion. I recently bought a 9', 8wt fast action rod and a Greys GX 700 cassette system reel and for the money I couldn't be happier.

I can cast that thing a mile, handles big heavy streamers as well as you could hope for with only a 9' length and retains great sensitivity on the strike.

Without looking at the receipt for exact figures the rod was around $120 and the reel $165, under 3 bills for the rig.

I have a 5 weight that I almost never use, and why would I? Almost all the water I fish is big water and you don't need finesse drowning streamers and nymphs.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker