Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Food plot opinion

Started by HoggyCat, August 06, 2013, 09:18:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoggyCat

I've had two good hunting spots where I've hunted for years sold and new owners not give me permission, so I've never been in this predicament. Found a spot less than 10 acres to hunt. Seen lots of deer activity, and even saw two bucks today on it. A little over a week ago, a friend and myself went in and disked a small area and flung Throw N Grow by hand. Have a nice stand of rye and clover today. Is it too late to take advantage of this year? We dished it and sowed it and the next day there was tracks. I went in today after not disturbing for ever all days and has been zero activity around the plot area. It's right near a new rural housing development. I'm wondering if they have mistaken the plot for a new house location.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

BallHog1

Quote from: HoggyCat on August 06, 2013, 09:18:20 pm
I've had two good hunting spots where I've hunted for years sold and new owners not give me permission, so I've never been in this predicament. Found a spot less than 10 acres to hunt. Seen lots of deer activity, and even saw two bucks today on it. A little over a week ago, a friend and myself went in and disked a small area and flung Throw N Grow by hand. Have a nice stand of rye and clover today. Is it too late to take advantage of this year? We dished it and sowed it and the next day there was tracks. I went in today after not disturbing for ever all days and has been zero activity around the plot area. It's right near a new rural housing development. I'm wondering if they have mistaken the plot for a new house location.
I don't think its too late for this year. Haven't even planted my in yet and I always do it in August.

tophawg19

i'd say it's all the activity on such a small piece of property. also something may have changed , like a new food source ie; apple tree dropping , pear tree etc. they may have shifted foods . a property that small can't be hunted very often without pushing deer off . Also the deer have no idea what a house site is . they just see human activity . you need to look around and find food sources , water etc. a shift in food can leave you no deer where 1 month before there were a dozen. . also look for main bedding areas. a GPS with satelite feature is worth gold for this
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins