Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New reel

Started by Milton, August 05, 2013, 05:22:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Milton

Thinking about buying a new reel. I prefer spinning reels, dislike baitcasters. I don't have the patience for birdnest. I was recommended to go with either a schimano or an Abu Garcia. I am no great expert on fishing reels so any thoughts on a brand to go with?
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

rickm1976

I feel the same way, and bought a Daiwa Silvercast SC120.  It holds 100 yards of 12# test, casts a mile, has 3 ball bearings, and has 4.3:1 retrieve ratio.  I use it for bass and catfish, and have been really happy with it.

jdelo77

I have 2 Okuma avenger spin cast reels ( the older models ) and they are awesome I also have 3 pflueger spin cast reels as well , 2 trions and a presidential , they are awesome as well , and every reel I mentioned is under $50 bucks !

"Boar"

I have 4 Shimano Stradics 1000 and they are perfect for my use...mainly trout fishing and some crappie fishing.  The spools hold just enough 4 and 6 lb line for casting and short distance trolling.  Only way to make it better would be to have a slightly larger spool to hold another 50 yds of line.

Buy good quality if you can...it'll be a one time purchase.

Rzbakfromwaybak

I would recommend Shimano or Daiwa.  I have 3 Shimano's & 5 Daiwa spinning reels. All over 12 years old & still work like new.  Never had to repair any of them, just clean & oil.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rcopela

Quote from: Milton on August 05, 2013, 05:22:48 pm
Thinking about buying a new reel. I prefer spinning reels, dislike baitcasters. I don't have the patience for birdnest. I was recommended to go with either a schimano or an Abu Garcia. I am no great expert on fishing reels so any thoughts on a brand to go with?
Real me learn to throw baitcasters

BallHog1

I love my abu open face reels but recently decided to try again to work with a baitcast and the new Abu Revo is unbelievable. Easy to use and casts a mile without backlash. I totally endorse it.

SPAL

Quote from: jdelow77 on August 07, 2013, 08:18:00 pm
I have 2 Okuma avenger spin cast reels ( the older models ) and they are awesome I also have 3 pflueger spin cast reels as well , 2 trions and a presidential , they are awesome as well , and every reel I mentioned is under $50 bucks !

The trion is money. Cabelas has a trion combo spinning reel for under 60.

Willyboy

I got a Pflueger reel a few months back and it's great.  Good price and great quality.