Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice on a 45

Started by LSUFan, August 01, 2013, 11:48:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

I want one where I can lock the slide back and slap the magazine in w/o the slide engaging and chambering a round until I release the slide.

I also want a stainless

What makers offer this?

What advantages do the 40 offer over the 45?
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

95_alum

Are you wanting a 1911 or a striker fired bi-tone?

40 = snappy
45 = a push (& a bigger hole).

DeltaBoy

Smith & Wesson makes them in SS
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Frankycottonrow

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

LSUFan

Quote from: 95_alum on August 02, 2013, 05:49:26 am
Are you wanting a 1911 or a striker fired bi-tone?

40 = snappy
45 = a push (& a bigger hole).
I prefer a sig, but a bi-tone would be preferred over the 1911.

Pudgepork

.40 advantages would be less recoil and 14-15 rounds in the mag  vs 10 on a .45

.45 offers a big ole hole for a bad guy to stare into when you pull it on him

rickm1976

Quote from: Pudgepork on August 03, 2013, 10:42:48 am
.40 advantages would be less recoil and 14-15 rounds in the mag  vs 10 on a .45

.45 offers a big ole hole for a bad guy to stare into when you pull it on him

I don't know about the recoil.  I've shot both in the same size S&W M&P's, and the .40 had a snappier recoil with more muzzle flip.  The .45 was more of a slow push.

LSUFan

Quote from: rickm1976 on August 03, 2013, 07:42:47 pm
I don't know about the recoil.  I've shot both in the same size S&W M&P's, and the .40 had a snappier recoil with more muzzle flip.  The .45 was more of a slow push.
Thats what the guy told me today, more recoil from the 40

I decided on a Ruger SR45

DeltaBoy

The Ruger is a solid gun.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LSUFan

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 04, 2013, 07:07:53 am
The Ruger is a solid gun.
I have a Ruger M77, I think is the model, in a 260 cal, stainless with a black syn stock, helluva gun. Basically a 308 necked down into a 223 cartridge. Deadly accurate.

kodiakisland

Quote from: LSUFan on August 04, 2013, 04:34:39 pm
I have a Ruger M77, I think is the model, in a 260 cal, stainless with a black syn stock, helluva gun. Basically a 308 necked down into a 223 cartridge. Deadly accurate.
I think you mean a 308 necked down to .264.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LSUFan

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 05, 2013, 12:01:37 am
I think you mean a 308 necked down to .264.
I was told it was a 223 cartridge, they could be wrong though.

Delivers a helluva punch, I've never had to track a deer with that gun.

My Uncle shot it and said, "Smoooooth like a good whiskey"

Shoots like a 22.

kodiakisland

You were told wrong then.  The 260 uses a .264 bullet.  The same bullet the various 6.5mms use.  I do agree the 260 is a great round.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 05, 2013, 07:51:18 am
You were told wrong then.  The 260 uses a .264 bullet.  The same bullet the various 6.5mms use.  I do agree the 260 is a great round.
There was quite a lot of buzz about the 260 in the early to mid 90s.  Lots of manufacturers not only chambered it, but pushed it as the "perfect deer round". 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hawgon

Yeah, but it has little charm.  Why shoot the 260 when you can shoot the original 6.5? 

kodiakisland

If you're not a reloader the 260 is the way to go, otherwise yeah, the 6.5X55 is pretty sweet. 

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 05, 2013, 09:23:31 am
If you're not a reloader the 260 is the way to go, otherwise yeah, the 6.5X55 is pretty sweet. 

If you're not a reloader, I'm not sure either is a good option.  I can't really remember the last time I saw any 260 shells on the shelf.  In fact, the other day our Academy had 6.5x55 but no 260.

DOGALUM

I'm not a 260 fan.   Nothing against it in particular......just that when it comes to ballistics, there are other rounds that are better than it is at everything.   It's ok......but just ok.   

LSUFan

Dumb question, Can you shoot the 6.5s in a 260?

I like the gun b/c the kids can shoot it fairly easily.

Hawgon

Quote from: LSUFan on August 05, 2013, 04:12:25 pm
Dumb question, Can you shoot the 6.5s in a 260?

I like the gun b/c the kids can shoot it fairly easily.

The bullet is a 6.5 caliber and so the bullet in a 260 and 6.5x55 or a 6.5x64 or a few other cartridges is the same bullet.  However, no, you may not shoot anything but a 260 Remington in your rifle.

It is like a 30-06 and a .308 Winchester.  They both shoot .308 bullets but the case size is different and neither will properly chamber in the other. 

A 6.5x55 just flat won't fit in a 260 chamber but a 260 might chamber in a 6.5x55 but the headspace is all wrong.  If you fired it, the case might rupture and that can be bad.  At the very least it wouldn't be accurate, the velocity would be way down, and you would end up with some oddly shaped brass.

LSUFan

Quote from: Hawgon on August 05, 2013, 04:38:42 pm
The bullet is a 6.5 caliber and so the bullet in a 260 and 6.5x55 or a 6.5x64 or a few other cartridges is the same bullet.  However, no, you may not shoot anything but a 260 Remington in your rifle.

It is like a 30-06 and a .308 Winchester.  They both shoot .308 bullets but the case size is different and neither will properly chamber in the other. 

A 6.5x55 just flat won't fit in a 260 chamber but a 260 might chamber in a 6.5x55 but the headspace is all wrong.  If you fired it, the case might rupture and that can be bad.  At the very least it wouldn't be accurate, the velocity would be way down, and you would end up with some oddly shaped brass.
Thanks, I learned something today! +1

kodiakisland

To add to your knowledge base about the 260, it uses the same case as the 308, which came from the 7.62X51 NATO.

The 308 case has been used as the base for many cartridges in many calibers.  The 243, 260, 7mm-08, 338 federal, and 358 are all made by either necking the 308 case up or down.  There are even more wildcat versions that have never been made into commercial rounds.  My favorite is the .25-308 (.25 souper).

LSUFan

I bet that .25-308 is a screamer!

Hawgon

Quote from: LSUFan on August 06, 2013, 03:05:09 pm
I bet that .25-308 is a screamer!

Eh...it's no .257 Roberts.

DOGALUM

devildoghawg

Glock 21 SF is a great 45.  Im also a huge fan of the Sig p220.  I would stay away from the Smith and Wesson Sigma that someone brought up, yeah they come in bitone, but they are also hunks of crap.  XDM is a pretty good set up as well.  My 45 of choice is a Sig 1911 C3.  Its probably the best looking commander size 1911 ive ever seen.  Its lightweight, has sig lite trigger pack, night sights, and a built in crimson trace laser grip.  Its a sweet peace.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

DOGALUM

Ballistically, the .40 is much flatter shooting than the .45.  I don't shoot in competitions but I still prefer the .40. 

If you want a "best of the best" 1911....get a Les Baer Custom.   You won't find a tighter, better put together 1911.    They aren't cheap....but man...are they put together well.

OTTER

Quote from: DOGALUM on August 06, 2013, 04:35:53 pm
Ballistically, the .40 is much flatter shooting than the .45.  I don't shoot in competitions but I still prefer the .40. 

If you want a "best of the best" 1911....get a Les Baer Custom.   You won't find a tighter, better put together 1911.    They aren't cheap....but man...are they put together well.
I shot a Les Baer 1911 for the first time last week.  One heck of a pistol.  I wish I could afford one right now, I'd buy it!  But, I'm a po man!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hawgon on August 06, 2013, 03:21:58 pm
Eh...it's no .257 Roberts.

In a short action with some of the newer, longer bullets it's a bit better than the Roberts. 
Of course it's no 250 savage either but it doesn't keep me from using them all.

DOGALUM

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 06, 2013, 06:39:16 pm
In a short action with some of the newer, longer bullets it's a bit better than the Roberts. 
Of course it's no 250 savage either but it doesn't keep me from using them all.
I have an old Model 99 in the 250 Savage.   Says 250-3000 on the gun.  The 250 Savage was the first commercial round to achieve 3000+ fps. 

I stumbled on this gun a few years ago.  An old gentleman that worked with my dad passed away.  His widow contacted my dad about purchasing her late husband's "gun collection".  He had the Model 99, an old JC Higgins pump twelve ga., an old .38 revolver in a beautiful leather holster, and a fairly new Ruger 10-22 with the green laminated wood stock and stainless barrel. 

I love the 250.  Love the rotating number on the side that shows how many rounds are in the gun.   He gave me the Savage and the shotgun.  He likes to plink with the 10-22.  No scope on the Savage.   My 11 year old son hunts with it when we go out.   

kodiakisland

The 250 savage is one of my favorite cartridges.  My ruger RSI in 250 is my go to whitetail gun these days.  I don't know what my next gun purchase will be, but a cooper in 250 savage is high on the list.