Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Running Thread

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, July 31, 2013, 06:18:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

my last two runs:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478225372

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/478225407

gearing up for the Rock and Roll Marathon Series in NashVegas on 4/26....I'll be running the 5k, because I didn't sign up fast enough for the 1/2 marathon

PP

Delicious~Dreams

Nice runs.   

The nice weather here is making me want to run more...which is a good thing.

My times are finally getting more consistent, and my endurance is slowly making it's way.   I need more patience.  I'm a...I want it now type person and this age thing isn't fun either but I'll get there......hopefully. 

The Russvegas Half is coming up. 

Boll Hawg

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on April 14, 2014, 09:50:13 am

My times are finally getting more consistent, and my endurance is slowly making it's way.   I need more patience.  I'm a...I want it now type person and this age thing isn't fun either but I'll get there......hopefully.   

I'm right with you.  I love the solitude of running and I've been hitting the track about 3x weekly, but can't go much past a mile.  I'd love to go for nice leisurely 3-4 mile runs.  Anyone have tips for endurance?   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

Delicious~Dreams

I was where you are about 7 or 8 months ago kinda.    I can now run a very good distance....thankfully!!!! 

You might look into Jeff Galloway's program.....it involves run/walk ratio.    I'm sure the others on here will have some good advice. 

I have a friend who is a great runner and he encouraged me a great deal.  He knew exactly how I felt on some runs.   Even though I enjoy running by self more........finding a friend who runs can push you to keep up and go further....or pass out! Lol!!  :).   All runners I have found, are very nice and helpful.   

Good Luck.....and remember, Runners don't quit!  (:

hawgrunner

Got a trail run in over the weekend 10 miles with over 2,200ft elevation gain! My quad's still sore! :)

Boll Hawg

I paid $2 for the "Couch to 5K" app and am going to give it a try.  I've tried it before, but wasn't really motivated enough to stick with it.  It's got a ton of success stories and the app is pretty much like having a personal trainer.  It focuses on interval training with lots of run/walk breaks.  It's a 9 week program, but I'm going to start on week 3 since I can already run about a mile. 

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: rock642 on April 14, 2014, 10:26:14 pm
Got a trail run in over the weekend 10 miles with over 2,200ft elevation gain! My quad's still sore! :)

Mountains are getters!!   I felt like I couldn't move after one trail I finally did...but I was so happy I finished....I wanted to do it again!! :)

Hogbody

anyone else running the Russvegas?

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on January 16, 2014, 09:10:16 pm
I always dislike breaking in new shoes.   

Put in a little over 2 miles....it was a beautiful day but I don't like fighting the wind.   Looking forward to this weekend for a long run hopefully.

I picked up a pair of Adidas glide boosts and ran 8 miles on the first wear. No issues as all; hands down the best running shoes I've ever bought. They're no break in required kicks and so good, I picked up a second and third pair to rotate around.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Pulled(PP)pork

running the Rock and Roll Marathon 5K in NashVegas saturday morning, then attending a free concert at Bridgestone Arena that night.  Should be fun
Even if I don't hear a effin word they sing.

PP

hawgrunner

I'm out for running for a month or two... got a broken collarbone. Took a spill riding the bike yesterday, check out the pic in the Cycling thread.

Pulled(PP)pork

Finished the Rock and Roll 5K in NashVegas this morning....28:33

A bit off my expectations

PP

Coondog Hog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2014, 12:39:54 pm
Finished the Rock and Roll 5K in NashVegas this morning....28:33

A bit off my expectations

PP

Still respectable man.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Boll Hawg

I've been training on the 'Couch to 5K' training plan and have increased my run distance considerably in the past few weeks.  I went from barely making it a mile to almost 3 miles.  It was my goal to get back into 5k shape and this program made it an easy reality.  I'd highly recommend it for anyone wanting to get back in the game. 

My current run pace averages about 9:40 per mile.  I'd like to get that down around 8:40.  Any ideas on that?   

hilljack

Boll Hawg, good to hear the couch to 5K is working so well.  There are a few ways to increase your speed and I'd recommend incorporating each into your training when the time is right. 

1.  Interval training: I like to do this on a track...  there are a bunch of ways to run intervals but I like to sprint the straights and jog/walk the turns. 

2.  Hill chargers:  If you have a decent hill in your area simply run at a good pace (not quite a sprint) up the hill then walk/jog down.  Repeat as many times as you can... or set a goal (e.g. today I'm going to hit this hill three times) and gradually increase.

3.  Tempo Runs:  I find this to be a little harder to do, but very effective.  Pick a distance that is comfortable and run a portion of that distance at an 8:40 pace, then finish the distance at a normal or slower pace.  Using 1 mile as an example, start with running 400 meters (1 lap on a track) at your regular pace... then run 400 meters at an 8:40 pace.  Run the last 800 at your normal pace.  As you get accustomed to running 400 meters at 8:40, increase the distance you run at that pace until you run the entire mile at 8:40.

If you're just getting back into running, don't be in a big hurry to get fast.  You'll run the risk of getting frustrated and/or injured both of which could lead to you not running.  Shaving a minute off your mile time can be tough. 

Good luck and stick with it.

Boll Hawg

Thanks hilljack, great info.  I've got my annual PT test in August and want to smoke the 1.5 mile run.  I'd love to run it in the 12:00 range.  Waist circumference kills my score though.  I still don't understand how the Air Force can't comprehend how some of us are built differently, and then punish members for that.   

hilljack

Good luck on the PT test.  A 12:00 PT run is pretty easy to study for... Shoot for 2 minute laps and ramp it up to a full on sprint for the last 100 meters (final straight to the finish).  The final sprint should shave a few seconds off and get you in below 12:00.  Leave it all on the track.

When I'm studying for a PT test, I like to do the P90X videos.  They're hard as hell, but will get you into good form for the test.   

In the past they used to have some commander's discretion on waist measurement... not sure if it exists anymore.  I had a buddy who was a national champion power lifter... He was 6'6" and close to 300lbs of sold muscle.  He'd max the push-ups, sit ups and be close to max points on the run... At his size and nearly 40 years old he ran a 9:40 mile and a half!  I can't recall that he ever failed a test. 

In the last few years, he has cut out a lot of the heavy lifting and switched to crossfit and adopted a very strict diet.  I think he's 100% paleo and has cut out alcohol.  At 43 years old, he's still solid muscle but has a 33" waist.  Reducing the waist can be done, but it takes tremendous dedication.   

Boll Hawg

I'm 5'10, about 190pds and my waist hovers around a 37.  I've taped as low as 34 one year b/c the guy taping me did it lower than usual.  We take our PT test on a flat road, with a turnaround point halfway.  It's not too bad. 

I made the mistake yesterday of trying to beat the rain and ran in the heat of the day.  Needless to say, I didn't make it very far.  I think I lost about 3pds. though.  It's amazing how much better my runs are either early in the morning or right before sunset.   

Boll Hawg

Anyone signed up for any races around Little Rock this year?  Here's what I'm planning to do:

Awesome Wassom 5k - LRAFB, June 10
Saline Co. 2 Miler - Benton, June 21
Firecracker 5K - LR, July 4
Twilight 5K - LR, July 19

Hope to see some of you at the races!

TX HOG

I found a 35 min interval running play list. Run song, walk song, run song, etc...
It's got some tunes I don't normally listen to. I'll give it a shot...!

Delicious~Dreams

I've been increasing my mileage, trying to keep up with a machine of a runner and my legs are now exhausted.....:(   I can't keep up, and now I can't run because I'm tired!   Frustration....any ideas on how to run more miles every day without becoming so sore and fatigued??

Hogberry Snortcake

Delicious~Dreams

Thank you, I've been jumping in the pool some after I run to cool down.   I usually save the ice for shin splints etc...but I'll try it. 

hilljack

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on June 05, 2014, 12:25:46 pm
I've been increasing my mileage, trying to keep up with a machine of a runner and my legs are now exhausted.....:(   I can't keep up, and now I can't run because I'm tired!   Frustration....any ideas on how to run more miles every day without becoming so sore and fatigued??

Try a good recovery drink after you run.  I use HammerNutrition Recoverite  http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/recoverite.rr.html .  It seems to help me. A good stretch and use a roller to help break up lactic acid build up in your muscles may also help.  Good luck

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: hilljack on June 06, 2014, 11:49:42 am
Try a good recovery drink after you run.  I use HammerNutrition Recoverite  http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/recoverite.rr.html .  It seems to help me. A good stretch and use a roller to help break up lactic acid build up in your muscles may also help.  Good luck

I've never tried a recovery drink other than the standard Gatorade...I may give it a try, it sounds like it might help and be better.   Thanks!! :)

hawgrunner

Quote from: Delicious~Dreams on June 07, 2014, 01:55:08 am
I've never tried a recovery drink other than the standard Gatorade...I may give it a try, it sounds like it might help and be better.   Thanks!! :)

After a good run/workout I'd drink some chocolate milk with some added protein powder and get out the foam roller or "The Stick" and work on the legs.

Pulled(PP)pork

Started back this morning, easy 2 miler. I may go again tonight, I've got 10 lbs to lose in a month

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 08, 2014, 03:46:47 pm
Started back this morning, easy 2 miler. I may go again tonight, I've got 10 lbs to lose in a month

PP

how did the run feel?

Pulled(PP)pork

It was ok, a little more out of breath than usual

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 08, 2014, 04:50:25 pm
It was ok, a little more out of breath than usual

PP

I'm slowing building back up after that surgery for that broken collarbone, still at only about 2 miles per run. The bruised ribs sure make it hard to breath.

hawgrunner

Anybody do the "War Eagle Tail Twister Trail Races" this weekend?

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 07, 2014, 10:31:51 am

After a good run/workout I'd drink some chocolate milk with some added protein powder and get out the foam roller or "The Stick" and work on the legs.

Thanks!  I'm trying to take a rest day to!  Hopefully I'll improve.  :)

DLUXHOG

Try walking 4-5 miles a day.... less wear and tear on your joints......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pulled(PP)pork

Did another 2.2 miler this evening, had to stop and walk a few times but still beat yesterday's time

PP

TX HOG

Anyone drink choc milk after running??

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: TX HOG on June 11, 2014, 08:25:54 am
I have, not a habit though.  I know the one 5K I ran in nashville had it there for post race recovery.  so it must the norm

PP

TX HOG

Sounds strange and not a healthy post run drink, but I keep hearing its great for you after excercise...

kingofdequeen

i drink beers after i run like a [CENSORED] man.

4.5 yesterday, with lots o hills. 

its called hillcrest for a reason.

hog.goblin

Quote from: hawgrunner on June 07, 2014, 10:31:51 am

clutch

Protein power + chocolate milk is a recipe for weight gain. Choose one or the other.

Pulled(PP)pork

3rd run this week accomplished, sore lags

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: clutch on June 11, 2014, 03:26:29 pm
Protein power + chocolate milk is a recipe for weight gain. Choose one or the other.

The vegan protein powder and the low cal chocolate milk I get has less calories than your standard Cytosport Muscle Milk.

TX HOG

I'm still not sure about the chocolate milk idea. I usually eat a little honey and drink a glass of water after exercising

kingofdequeen

Quote from: TX HOG on June 12, 2014, 11:18:51 am
I'm still not sure about the chocolate milk idea. I usually eat a little honey and drink a glass of water after exercising

so my turkey sandwich and 6er of becks is not a good idea?

kingofdequeen

the dude's run over 300 miles this year.  feeling pretty stellar about that number, b/c it's going to go up.

i re-committed to running in october of last year, and i'm still going strong.  cannot believe i've actually stuck with it.  Actually getting new shoes this week b/c i ran through the ones i got for xmas (which i only wear to run or workout).  kind of a good feeling.

Brooks shoes are where it's at, btw.

TX HOG

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 12, 2014, 11:51:37 am
so my turkey sandwich and 6er of becks is not a good idea?

I have no idea. I'm over weight.

Pulled(PP)pork

Brooks are good shoes....own me the Ghost 6

PP

Delicious~Dreams

I Love Brooks shoes but also have a pair of Saucony.   

I had to go back to running at the track for a few days...cushion helps my legs rest some.

Pulled(PP)pork

Does anyone alter their running surface during a run?  I just can't do it and strictly stay to pavement

PP

hawgrunner

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 13, 2014, 06:17:40 am
Does anyone alter their running surface during a run?  I just can't do it and strictly stay to pavement

PP

I run the trails and try get to the track every now and then. When I run the road I try very hard to stay off the sidewalk. A sidewalk is the worst surface you could run on, because it's the hardest of all. If I'm running through the neighborhoods and come by a park so something  and there's a grass surface I jump over on it.