Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BBall Recruiting Update

Started by RazorAg, July 29, 2013, 06:36:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

Some of this info may have been posted in different spots, but thought I'd put everything together in a post overviewing activity from the last 5-7 days, which happened to be the last of the 2013 AAU Circuit.

First, congratulations to the Arkansas Wings 16U team for winning the AAU National Championship.  Unlike the 17U tourney, the 16U AAU Nationals is a highly competitive field.  They had to go through the same teams they went through in winning the Nike Memorial Day Classic and Nike Peach Jam.  When Skal Labissiere transferred from the the 17U Team Penny team to the Wings, I said that they may be the best 16U team in the country; turned out that that was the case.

Some new (and recycled) names are on the radar.  Myles Turner (2014), Malik Newman (2015), Matthew McQuaid (2015), Josh Cunningham (2014), Miles Reynolds (2014), Troy Holston (2014) and Temarcus Blanton (2014).

Let me go ahead and get this out of the way: Don't get your hopes up for Turner and Newman.  Yes, Turner plays AAU with Nick Babb, who is strongly considering us, but this kid will likely end up at one of the traditional national powers or a Texas school.  Same with Newman, whom we've also been on for awhile, sans the Texas schools.  We may get visits from those guys, but their recruiting processes are already very mature, and our not being mentioned a lot with them to this point doesn't bode well for us.

With the others, need to see what happens from here.  I really like Holston as a need-filler (shooter, scorer).  Blanton can put the ball in the basket, too.  Cunningham can shoot it and is athletic. Reynolds is more of a defender-type.  McQuaid is also a great shooter.  Like and would feel great if we signed Holston or Blanton out of that group.  Holston is blowing up, though; probably a long shot there.

As is recently the case, there were several end-of-circuit tournaments going on in Vegas and Orlando, and it was the close of the July Evaluation period for college coaches, so there was a ton of traveling between those two locations.  Most of our recruits or in-state teams were playing in the Fab48, Adidas64 and AAU Nationals tourneys.  Trey Thompson and Arkansas Hawks, Nick Babb, Jimmy Whitt, Tory Miller, KJ Hill (with Team Penny), Adrian Moore (TNBA Elite), Melvin Frazier (Southern Elite), and DeRon Davis were all in Vegas.  Malik Monk, KeVaughn Allen, Marquise Pointer, Marlon Hunter, Skal Labissiere, Jamario Bell, Dontae Fitzpatrick, all part of the Arkansas Wings 16U team were in Orlando.

Some reports on the Wings.  Malik Monk was the alpha dog all week long, although KeVaughn Allen received rave reviews, too.  Allen joined the team just for the tournament, started, and really made up for losing Melvin Frazier, who moved to another team.  In the championship game, he really did everything well, scoring 14 points.  Malik did what he usually does, and that's play with an extreme bang, but he also continued to show an increased skill and control to his game.  He finished with 15 points.  Coach Wes Swift said this about Malik and KeVaughn:  "Kevaughn and Malik are very similar in the fact that they can score the ball in a lot of different ways," Swift said. "They can both make the 3-ball, they both have a good mid-range game, but they are a little different. Kevaughn is a guy who tends to lower his shoulder in the paint and Malik is more of a pull-up, jump shot guy.  He'll shoot over the top of you.  But they're both explosive at the rim and can both jump out of the gym.  Kevaughn is a little more advanced right now as far as his ball-handling and passing ability and on the defensive end, although Malik is improving on the defensive end every day."

No new news on Monk and Allen's recruitment.

I really like Marlon Hunter, 6'3 2015 Wing prospect out of Memphis Melrose.  Reminds me of Victor Dukes, another 2015 prospect, out of Jonesboro Nettleton.  Both are about the same size at 6'3-6'4.  Both are very productive offensively, using a tight handle to drive, punish and score.  They also both very crafty offensively.  Not jump shooters, but can knock down the jumper at times.  Both high energy and disruptive defensively, although I'll give Hunter the edge there.

Marquise Pointer 6'1 2015 PG has really made a name for himself nationally the last two weeks.  He continued his solid and productive play in the Nationals.  Just a bulldog and a playmaker.  He's a lot like KJ Hill in that he's a guy that makes things happen.  Not sure yet, if he's a high major guy as a PG, but he has the potential to be, I think.

Coach A and Coach TJ were there for the championship game, and got a lot of air time.

Trey Thompson apparently had a solid showing out in Vegas, scoring in double-digits of the games that were reported on.  One Arkansas reporter that was there said that he looked like he had improved his body some.

Tory Miller impressed one Arkansas reporter with his physical tools and body.  Recent offers from Iowa, Kansas State and Georgia Tech.  Not looking to sign until next Spring.

Jimmy Whitt, a 6'3 2015 CG prospect that we've offered, was instrumental in leading his team to the semifinals of one tourney.  No new news there with him and us, but remains interested.  Has offers from us, Mizzou, Okie State to name a few.

Coach A watched DeRon Davis, a 6'8 2016 Post prospect.  Davis is a top 25 prospect with Arkansas ties.  Continues to name us, Indiana and Colorado.

Coach Wat watched KJ Hill and Team Penny win the 15U Fab 48 championship.  Also, playing on that team was 2016 Arkansas target, 6'8 CF Dedric Lawson.

Coach A and Wat tracked Nick Babb and Myles Turner of Texas Select a lot.  Babb continues to be a priority.  It was reported the other day that his list was down to us, SMU and A&M.  He named Gonzaga in addition to those teams later.  Says he plans to make an official visit.  Didn't specify when.  A month or two ago, Babb said he planned to make his decision at the end of July.  Not sure if that's still the plan.

The staff also tracked Melvin Frazier, 6'4 2015 Wing, formerly of the Arkansas Wings 16U team. Not sure why he played with another team this past weekend, but he is from New Orleans and the team he played with was out of there.  Seems to be a priority recruit.  Has offers from Okie State and A&M, along with us.

Will be interesting to see where we go from here.  2 spots left.  I like the idea of signing a few wings, preferably who can shoot it and score.  But, due to the really deep pool of realistic signee candidates at the guard spots in 2015, I'd be okay with a guard/wing who can shoot and then best player available.

Razorod

The next few months will be interesting indeed. Need a couple of nice hits to finish out the 2014 class and then move into 2015 when we have more good options.

The opportunity is there to break out of the fifteen year hibernation we've been in.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

chiefhawg

RazorAg

And, just so you guys don't think I'm weird, that "one Arkansas reporter" is indeed Richard Davenport.  I just wrote this and posted on a handful of websites in which it's not appropriate to name/promote the competition.  Thanks to Richard for reporting on Arkansas Basketball recruiting.  AAU events during the evaluation periods are where you get the best info, and I'd like to see more of it.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RazorAg on July 29, 2013, 06:56:15 pm
And, just so you guys don't think I'm weird, that "one Arkansas reporter" is indeed Richard Davenport.  I just wrote this and posted on a handful of websites in which it's not appropriate to name/promote the competition.  Thanks to Richard for reporting on Arkansas Basketball recruiting.  AAU events during the evaluation periods are where you get the best info, and I'd like to see more of it.

I totally think you're a weirdo , and there's nothing you can say that will change my mind. ;)
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

Thanks for updates Razor.  That Wings Elite team is something special, I watched the finals on ESPN 3.  The skills that Malik Monk has at 15 years old is almost unreal.  That whole team was very impressive to me.

Hatleyville454

Ag, you're the best. Always appreciate your info.

And as you said, props to RD with his Vegas coverage as well.

I'm glad you brought up Victor Dukes out of Jonesboro. I have been trying to think of that kid's name all week. Has he been playing any AAU ball with anyone? The last I had heard about him was from my buddy, who is an AAU coach. Dukes came down to LR in early spring to try out, but ultimately decided not to join the team.

I know his dunk last year is what put him on the map, but after taking a closer look at him, I think he has some tremendous upside, especially considering how young he is. That goes for most of the young Arkansas prep basketball stars. It's pretty amazing the talent that is coming up in the '14-'16 classes in state.

RazorAg

Quote from: Hatleyville454 on July 29, 2013, 08:32:17 pm
Ag, you're the best. Always appreciate your info.

And as you said, props to RD with his Vegas coverage as well.

I'm glad you brought up Victor Dukes out of Jonesboro. I have been trying to think of that kid's name all week. Has he been playing any AAU ball with anyone? The last I had heard about him was from my buddy, who is an AAU coach. Dukes came down to LR in early spring to try out, but ultimately decided not to join the team.

I know his dunk last year is what put him on the map, but after taking a closer look at him, I think he has some tremendous upside, especially considering how young he is. That goes for most of the young Arkansas prep basketball stars. It's pretty amazing the talent that is coming up in the '14-'16 classes in state.

I saw him at the Real Deal in the Rock playing for the Arkansas Soldierz 16U team, and he dominated. I watched him play three games, and he sold me.  He's a D1 player.  His ability to score at the rim, penetrate, handle and athleticism are high major.  Didn't show a consistent jumper and didn't always make great decisions.  Relentless, though.

If he gets his jumper down and shapes his body more (looks like he could carry some bad weight), I think he has a chance to be a high major player.

The Arkansas Soldierz 16U started out with a ton of talent (Dukes, KJ Hill, KeVaughn Hill, Adrian Moore, Javier Roper), but they didn't seem to hold on to their players toward the end of the circuit.

-Blu

Somebody say Victor Dukes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MerJpZw7Puk

You can never watch this video enough times.

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

choppedporkextrasauce

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RICKHOGHEAD

Wow! Now that's some great detailed info right there. Thanks RazorAg.

immahog

I really hope we can keep all the in-state kids home Monk,allen,adrian more and K.j hill
looks like coach A will be spending a lot of time at NLR over the next few yrs
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

The_Iceman

Holston is a really good looking prospect. Seems like a lot of others programs are starting to see that as well. Our chances may not be too good now.

Allen and Monk are must gets for us. We need high level guards.

mhuff

Great report as always. RazorAg, I read your caution on us having a realistic shot at  Newman and Turner. However, color me the eternal optimist. If we get Babb, I think we have a shot at Turner as they want to play together. Also, RD reported recently that Newman had a high interest in us. I can see where a high profile SG would take a look because it is obvious that we are begging for a SG to take control. We have more of the pieces, but we need SG's and SF's who can produce. We also could use a PG. I see us getting the SG's and SF's in the next couple of years. Just wondering what BIGS are gonna still be around.

RazorAg

Quote from: mhuff on July 30, 2013, 11:57:56 am
Great report as always. RazorAg, I read your caution on us having a realistic shot at  Newman and Turner. However, color me the eternal optimist. If we get Babb, I think we have a shot at Turner as they want to play together. Also, RD reported recently that Newman had a high interest in us. I can see where a high profile SG would take a look because it is obvious that we are begging for a SG to take control. We have more of the pieces, but we need SG's and SF's who can produce. We also could use a PG. I see us getting the SG's and SF's in the next couple of years. Just wondering what BIGS are gonna still be around.

I'm a positive guy as well, but don't see Turner and Newman happening.

mhuff

Quote from: RazorAg on July 30, 2013, 06:06:40 pm

Just thought the stars were aligning for a possible huge recruiting victory. Man there are so many players on the field. If we don't get who we want, I would like to see us save at least one schollie.

razorhead94

Quote from: RazorAg on July 30, 2013, 06:06:40 pm

What about the combo of Babb and Turner?  They played together on Texas Select and have said it would be cool to play at college together.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hawg Red

QuoteJordan Fair ‏@Jordan_Fair 4m

Oldsmar Christian 2014 6'4 SG Troy Holston Final School list No order- USF, KState, Miami, Alabama, Marquette and Memphis.

Fair is Holston's HS coach.

Hawg Red

QuoteEvan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX 2m

Justin Coleman has committed to Alabama.

Another Hog target off the market.

-Blu

Quote from: razorhead94 on July 31, 2013, 10:36:44 am
What about the combo of Babb and Turner?  They played together on Texas Select and have said it would be cool to play at college together.

Here's a recent article from Richard Davenport on Babb and Turner.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2013/jul/31/hogs-want-babb-and-turner-teammates/

What concerns me about the Babb and Turner situation is

1. We are really late to the party on recruiting Turner, so you have to think our chances are pretty low with him, unless Babb absolutely loves it here and convinces Turner to come with him.

2.  Babb was kinda flying under the radar and we started pursing him hard, and he announced he would make a decision by the end of July, and now a few bigger programs are interested in him and the latest news is "He plans to take an official visit" to us in the fall.  I don't know if that's good news or bad news.

3. This is the second article I read about Turner and he's been asked about a visit to Arkansas, and both times he gives the answer "I'm going to try to take a visit to Arkansas."  To me it kinda sounds like the "nice" answer to say instead of saying it's unlikely or don't have any plans to take a visit here.

4. In the last week or so the staff has been sending offers to a lot of wing players, that leads me to believe they may not be so that confident in getting Babb anymore.

I could be completely off basis with this assessment and hope I am, but usually the vibes just seem a lot better when your the leader or about to sign the guy.

Sawyer

FYI on Whitt, apparently Watkins is fairly close to that family. I'm not sure the extent of the relationship, if Whitt and Watkins' son were friends when they were here or what, but that will probably keep Arkansas in the hunt there. I see Whitt continuing to rise in the rankings. If he goes to Arkansas, he'd likely end up the best out-of-state recruit Anderson has signed as a head coach.

nwahogfan1

August 03, 2013, 08:27:32 pm #23 Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:41:10 pm by nwahogfan1
I would love to have the confidence that our coaches could go head to head with the top 25 schools and we could win some of these battles but unless we have a inside with the recruit I dont have much confidence.   

Maybe it is us not having a practice facility? But what ever the reason I hpe we can change it..

I am excited though on instate recruiting.  We have been very blessed the last few years and apparantly several more years ahead that we have some top quality recruits in our state.

If we can continue to sign all of them we want maybe it can over come our inept out of state recruiting.