Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gun safe in garage

Started by Virgil, July 29, 2013, 12:39:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

I need some advice.  I have a gun safe in my bedroom closet that only holds 10 guns (Ive got about 20 crammed in there) and I'm looking to buy another one.  If I do I'm seriously thinking about putting it in my garage because that's where I store all my hunting clothes and gear..  My main concern is moisture.  I've seen the moisture prohibitors you can put in safes but do they really work?
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

Hawgon

Quote from: Virgil on July 29, 2013, 12:39:32 pm
I need some advice.  I have a gun safe in my bedroom closet that only holds 10 guns (Ive got about 20 crammed in there) and I'm looking to buy another one.  If I do I'm seriously thinking about putting it in my garage because that's where I store all my hunting clothes and gear..  My main concern is moisture.  I've seen the moisture prohibitors you can put in safes but do they really work?

Mine does fine in the garage. 

grayhawg

Quote from: Virgil on July 29, 2013, 12:39:32 pm
I've had one in my garage for 15 years and its okay.

Virgil

I take no moisture problems for either of you?
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

kodiakisland

I put my safe in my dads garage in SW AR for three years while I was in Germany.  I oiled and greased everything well before putting them in and all were fine three years later.  As long as your garage is dry it shouldn't be a problem.  Just clean and oil everything every 6 months or so.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

grayhawg

If you have any fear of moisture, my son uses one of these in his safe and has a washing machine in his garage and things are fine with his also.

http://www.remingtonsafe.com/learnmore.php?sid=9&pid=1199

Flying Razorback

Quote from: grayhawg on July 29, 2013, 03:35:31 pm
If you have any fear of moisture, my son uses one of these in his safe and has a washing machine in his garage and things are fine with his also.

http://www.remingtonsafe.com/learnmore.php?sid=9&pid=1199

That's what I use in my safe in the garage too.  I have had it in the garage for about a year now and haven't had any major complaints yet.  It isn't optimal I don't think, but it was a battle I lost with the wife.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

kodiakisland

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on July 29, 2013, 04:06:53 pm
That's what I use in my safe in the garage too.  I have had it in the garage for about a year now and haven't had any major complaints yet.  It isn't optimal I don't think, but it was a battle I lost with the wife.

Does she make you keep your heads in the garage too?
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Flying Razorback

Quote from: kodiakisland on July 29, 2013, 05:20:58 pm
Does she make you keep your heads in the garage too?

This was more a case of how much the wood floors cost in the house.  It was a sneaky way to get me.  The gun safe had been in the living room for a long time on carpet.  Then we moved, built a new house, put in nice wood floors, and she got me on the "We don't want to mess up the floors moving it in to the house and then setting it on the new wood..."
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

DeltaBoy

They are fine in a garage unless your in a swamp or on the coast.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.