Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - No Expectations that Razorback Football will Be Better than Last Season

Started by Robert Shields, July 01, 2013, 10:39:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MRPRFCT

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:36:37 am
Memphis has it's problems like most large metro areas, but I don't think just because someone lives there that means they are a loser.  It's a city approaching 1.5 million and one of the larger cities in the US.  For better or worse, its also a very iconic city as it appears in songs and literature as one of the largest if not the largest city on the Mississippi River.  I believe it surpasses St Louis and New Orleans in city population.

And then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmVJ16ajjA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: MRPRFCT on July 02, 2013, 03:04:35 pm
And then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDmVJ16ajjA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HaHa. Prince Mongo! A colorful nut to say the least! I wonder where he lives now? His real name is Robert Hodges and his brother is a former mayor of Germantown I believe.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DOGALUM

Memphis has it's problems like most large metro areas, but I don't think just because someone lives there that means they are a loser.  It's a city approaching 1.5 million and one of the larger cities in the US.  For better or worse, its also a very iconic city as it appears in songs and literature as one of the largest if not the largest city on the Mississippi River.  I believe it surpasses St Louis and New Orleans in city population.
and the fact that you chose HiM to defend speaks volumes about you.

You pick a supporter of yours that happens to be the biggest d-bag on this board?  (And that includes Pork Anon and Guv)

I've always tead yout crap Robert just so I can be legit in my commentary on it.  But if you truly feel like a) HiM is not a loser, and b) Memphis is not a crap hole of a city then I've actually OVERestimated you.   Memphis sucks....and HiM blows.....period.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Rey Pygsterio

One of the parents who has emailed Shields is Tyler Wilson's dad, who took issue with a column that said Wilson would never start as long as Mallett was in front of him.

Regarding other topics: MSA rankings -- #41 Memphis, #45 New Orleans.

Yes, it has its problems because there are so many people on the lower economic scale living there, but Memphis is a great town with a lot going for it.

Sometimes I think this board should just be renamed Haterville.
"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 02, 2013, 09:16:29 am
I agree with this.  I wrote Williams had potential, but at this point it's still just speculation.

Also in an earlier post, yes, Bielema played noseguard at Iowa.  He also played tight end in high school.  As posted earlier, I think he was a better than decent player at this position.
So if writing about former Razorback Jamaal Anderson you would say he's just another clever wide receiver by trade? Admit it, you screwed up on BB's position. You made several mistakes. The most unpardonable part is this silly charade with acting like BB's time in hs as a tight end has led to him being an O-line mastermind. Give it up, man.

Iwastherein1969

didn't go through all the post so I'm sure this is going to be a repeat of what a few others have said....you claim to be a journalist, the title of your thread is "From the Bench-No Expectations that Razorback Football will Be Better than Last Season"....okay, I can see that somewhat, however you compare this season's roster not to just last year, but in most cases you go two, three years back and I even saw a DMAC reference...dude, that shipped sailed after 2007....you may be right on this season, you may be wrong about this season, but do endeavor to title your thread correctly to the contents within
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Robert Shields

Quote from: Clay (helmuthjr21) C on July 03, 2013, 10:16:46 am
So if writing about former Razorback Jamaal Anderson you would say he's just another clever wide receiver by trade? Admit it, you screwed up on BB's position. You made several mistakes. The most unpardonable part is this silly charade with acting like BB's time in hs as a tight end has led to him being an O-line mastermind. Give it up, man.

Sure his playing experience in college is on the defensive side.  I'm not willing to discount the fact he had to block in high school.  He's been in the trenches.  Something tells me, he still knows plenty about blocking.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on July 03, 2013, 09:45:29 am
One of the parents who has emailed Shields is Tyler Wilson's dad, who took issue with a column that said Wilson would never start as long as Mallett was in front of him.

Yes, it has its problems because there are so many people on the lower economic scale living there, but Memphis is a great town with a lot going for it.

Or, "Non-valued barbecue/blues-ville"? Other than barbecue (or barbeque depending on where you are from) and good Blues, I'm not sure Memphis has more to offer, except for a bridge to Arkansas over the Mississippi, but that may be enough.
Go Hogs Go!

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Robert Shields on July 03, 2013, 11:16:38 am
Sure his playing experience in college is on the defensive side.  I'm not willing to discount the fact he had to block in high school.  He's been in the trenches.  Something tells me, he still knows plenty about blocking.
I'm not buying it, sorry. The mistakes in your post make you appear unskilled, the silly cover ups to the mistakes make you appear incredibly insecure.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 03, 2013, 11:23:34 am
Or, "Non-valued barbecue/blues-ville"? Other than barbecue (or barbeque depending on where you are from) and good Blues, I'm not sure Memphis has more to offer, except for a bridge to Arkansas over the Mississippi, but that may be enough.

I used to love Beale St., because I love the blues.  But...in my years at Memphis, this has happened:  Car broken into three times.  Accosted by panhandlers, twice.  Gun pulled on while parking off Beale St...one time.  Knife pulled walking to hotel from Beale St...once. 

I survived each of them, but there comes a point in time where you finally just decide it's not worth it.  I hit that point many years ago. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RazorbackRon

Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

BJOhog

this here has more reviews and responses than the ole l e gene pat braddlet thread that means Robert shiekdb is greater than pat Bradley I say congratuketions to all he  shield veiwers and fans cause he won

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: BJOhog on July 03, 2013, 11:55:10 pm
this here has more reviews and responses than the ole l e gene pat braddlet thread that means Robert shiekdb is greater than pat Bradley I say congratuketions to all he  shield veiwers and fans cause he won
Hell BJO, you might as well start your own "column"

BJOhog

i have a lot to say my man but i bont think in  my own thtrada f folk would read im a simple man

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: BJOhog on July 04, 2013, 01:31:38 am
i have a lot to say my man but i bont think in  my own thtrada f folk would read im a simple man
Didn't lynyrd skynyrd write about being a simple man?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on July 03, 2013, 09:45:29 am

It is not just MSA size that matters. If it did then Memphis would have an NFL team instead of New Orleans but they don't. Why do uou think that is. If you like Memphis so much I'll switch with you.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 03, 2013, 08:41:05 pm
I used to love Beale St., because I love the blues.  But...in my years at Memphis, this has happened:  Car broken into three times.  Accosted by panhandlers, twice.  Gun pulled on while parking off Beale St...one time.  Knife pulled walking to hotel from Beale St...once. 

I survived each of them, but there comes a point in time where you finally just decide it's not worth it.  I hit that point many years ago. 

Let's face it, being accosted by gun or knife point is highly overrated. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on July 05, 2013, 11:21:57 am
Let's face it, being accosted by gun or knife point is highly overrated. ;)

It is.  And one of them was with a group of guys there for a bachelor party. We pulled into a parking lot, and some guy randomly comes up and tells us it's $10 to park there.  We sort of brushed him off laughingly and said, "There's no sign or anything, and this is a dirt lot," and just turned away and started walking.  He said, "HEY!," and we turned around. 

He was pointing what at least appeared to be some sort of revolver at us.  At that point, we felt like he had clearly won the argument, and we just gave him a $20 and told him thanks for keeping watch over our car while we were gone, and sorry for the misunderstanding.  Now granted, this was before they added all of the lit parking lots off Beale St., but anytime you get a gun pulled on you it tends to leave a lasting impression.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DeltaBoy

Memphis is one of my favorite places to Day Trip.  I keeping my expectations tempered this year lest I break another remote control.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on July 05, 2013, 01:24:16 pm
It is.  And one of them was with a group of guys there for a bachelor party. We pulled into a parking lot, and some guy randomly comes up and tells us it's $10 to park there.  We sort of brushed him off laughingly and said, "There's no sign or anything, and this is a dirt lot," and just turned away and started walking.  He said, "HEY!," and we turned around. 

He was pointing what at least appeared to be some sort of revolver at us.  At that point, we felt like he had clearly won the argument, and we just gave him a $20 and told him thanks for keeping watch over our car while we were gone, and sorry for the misunderstanding.  Now granted, this was before they added all of the lit parking lots off Beale St., but anytime you get a gun pulled on you it tends to leave a lasting impression.   

Yikes!  The last guy that pulled a pistol on me, I punched him in the mouth and snatched the gun from him.  Thank God he was a cop (well, you know what I mean).  When he said he was gonna sue me for his dental work, I asked him how the LRPD would feel about an off-duty officer taking a gun into a bar (Slick Willy's) and then pulling it on a guy in the parking lot during an argument over a 17 year old girl...in front of a half-dozen witnesses.  Took my T-shirt off and threw it to him for him to bite on and told him he'd find his empty gun in the dumpster at TGIF's.  Oh, the fun we had as youngsters, eh?