Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In my opinion

Started by 12247, June 26, 2013, 10:12:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

College baseball will have to do something about the giant ballpark for the CWS.  UCLA was built to win in this park.  Either the ball, bat, or the park will need to change or the overall interest in the CWS will fall.  It was sad to see batters get all of a ball time after time and it fall short into a mitt.

I wanted the Championship for the SEC but the UCLA coach used his charges far better than anyone else attending the CWS.  He kept telling the batters to hit ground balls, no fly balls.  He didn't have to explain to the defense and pitching as they were well coached and knew what to do.  Got his weak hitting team to hit on the ground and never give up and its their pennant.

TikiHog

had a lot of first time watchers on facebook today saying College Baseball was like watching Soccer...YIKES

booogaga

I might just be boring but I enjoy having a large outfield with deep power alleys (Not high fences) because it allows the batter to spray the ball all over the field and aim for the gaps. Allows for a lot more strategy offensively and defensively.
GO HOGS!

eagle01

I tend to agree. I'm not a fan of the current bats but I wasn't a big fan of the gorilla ball not too long ago either. There has to be a place in the middle that will balance things out. Ball, bat, park...whatever needs to be tweeked, I don't care. Just give me a game where power guys can be power guys, contact guys can put the ball in play and fielders play good defense.

krackhog

There will always need to be the ability to reasonably hit a homerun in the bottom of the 9th to win a game with runners on base. If casual fans start to believe this is highly improbable, they will stop watching. Part of excitement in pros is a majority of players are home run threats and can turn a game around at any point. Without that threat, college baseball will be viewed like soccer. Boring.

booogaga

I think with a lot of these new fields with seats beyond the outfield walls it is easier to make the fences further away at the start and see how it plays out. It is much easier to move them in or down in height than it is to move them further back and raise the walls if you already have seating in place. Happens in a lot of the new major league parks.
GO HOGS!

N HOG

Quote from: krackhog on June 26, 2013, 03:01:11 pm
There will always need to be the ability to reasonably hit a homerun in the bottom of the 9th to win a game with runners on base. If casual fans start to believe this is highly improbable, they will stop watching. Part of excitement in pros is a majority of players are home run threats and can turn a game around at any point. Without that threat, college baseball will be viewed like soccer. Boring.

Total agreeance.

CWS games were boring.

Chestodrawers

I've been watching college baseball since I first got cable TV in the early 90's. This was the worst CWS I've seen. I watch every game, each year. And this was the worst. I actually liked the atomic bat days. I liked it when a 5 run lead in the 7th probably wouldn't hold up. But you've got to let the homerun have some place in the game. It's ZERO in this park. If you take the home out off MLB, its over for them. Gonna do the same to College baseball if they don't address this SOON.

Kevin

Quote from: Chestodrawers on June 26, 2013, 10:17:36 pm
   I've been watching college baseball since I first got cable TV in the early 90's. This was the worst CWS I've seen. I watch every game, each year. And this was the worst. I actually liked the atomic bat days. I liked it when a 5 run lead in the 7th probably wouldn't hold up. But you've got to let the homerun have some place in the game. It's ZERO in this park. If you take the home out off MLB, its over for them. Gonna do the same to College baseball if they don't address this SOON.

the thing the atomic bats did was keep the game interesting. that is what they have lost with these bats.

hopefully, they will get the minor league ball, and that will help.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22