Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bluebirds about to nest again

Started by Jackrabbit Hog, June 21, 2013, 02:04:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackrabbit Hog

That didn't take long.  I cleaned the old nest out the bluebird box about a week ago, and today there's evidence they are already on their next (and last) nest for this year.  It's always risky for them this late in the year; if we have an early heat wave that lasts a week or more (temperature above 95 each day), they probably won't hatch, or if it happens after they hatch the babies may not survive the heat.  But if it stays in the low 90s or lower, they will make it.

The nest should be finished in 2-3 days, and the eggs should follow - one a day - about a week after the nest is finished. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

TomasPistola

They are showing up here too. All 3 of my boxes are starting to next - a 4th one will need to be replaced thanks to that damn woodpecker.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

deshahawg

Looking forward to seeing pictures again!

Jackrabbit Hog

These bluebirds build better and sturdier houses than some contractors I know..

deshahawg

They need to hurry up and get the ball rolling!

Jackrabbit Hog

As of 6:00 p.m. today.  Must've been one yesterday and one today.

Verge

Maybe they predicted the cold front coming next week?

deshahawg

Good to see. I hope they all make it. I can't believe that we've been getting this awesome weather.

Jackrabbit Hog

Hatched sometime yesterday.  Four little ones, a day old.

deshahawg

Nice.....moving along pretty good.

Jackrabbit Hog

4 days old, and they be hungry today..

deshahawg

I bet they make it before it gets cold. Heck the last ones were up and off in no time.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: deshahawg on July 26, 2013, 08:56:48 am
I bet they make it before it gets cold. Heck the last ones were up and off in no time.

Nope.  I'm a dumb-azz.  A couple of days after I posted that last pic, I went out back one morning to check on them.  Apparently I forgot to put the hinged side of the roof back down so the top of the box was left open all day.  I didn't notice until the following day, and when I looked in the nest was a mess and all the babies were gone.  I can only assume bigger birds got them.  What's really sad is that the mom and dad bluebirds kept coming around the box for at least a week after that, poking their heads in like they were looking for the babies.

I feel like a heel.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on July 26, 2013, 10:42:34 am
Nope.  I'm a dumb-azz.  A couple of days after I posted that last pic, I went out back one morning to check on them.  Apparently I forgot to put the hinged side of the roof back down so the top of the box was left open all day.  I didn't notice until the following day, and when I looked in the nest was a mess and all the babies were gone.  I can only assume bigger birds got them.  What's really sad is that the mom and dad bluebirds kept coming around the box for at least a week after that, poking their heads in like they were looking for the babies.

I feel like a heel.
MURDERER!!!!!!!!

Well......ACCESSORY TO MURDER!!!!!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!