Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dehumidifier for Safe

Started by Flying Razorback, June 09, 2013, 10:26:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

Anyone have a good dehumidifier for their safe they recommend?  My safe has been relegated to my garage which at least has insulated walls and an insulated door.  But it's still not climate controlled.  I know it's not the best place to have a gun safe but that's where it is... 

Anyone have any experience with the battery powered units or the rechargable units?  Anyone just recommend the silica products?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Verge

Put a bunch of rice in it?

They make rechargeable dehumidifiers. Hat sounds odd, the home versions are basically portable air conditioners.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Verge on June 10, 2013, 10:41:17 am
Put a bunch of rice in it?

They make rechargeable dehumidifiers. Hat sounds odd, the home versions are basically portable air conditioners.

I honestly didn't think of using rice.  I might give that a try.  And I hadn't seen the rechargeable ones before starting my search either.  They say you plug them in every 30 days to recharge them and put them back in the safe.  Remington was the brand on one of them.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

deshahawg

Rice should work. I've wondered before about dehumidifiers and how effective they are. You'll have to let us know how things work whatever route you take.