Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scopes

Started by deshahawg, May 30, 2013, 05:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deshahawg

I just got a Ruger M77 .270 and I"m going to be looking at a new scope. I'm leaning toward a Leupold VX III. Do any of you fellas have other brands or have one that you like better. I don't wanna spend thousands but I'm looking to get a nice scope.

hogcoots

Leupolds are fine scopes.  You might look at Zeiss also. 

HuntnHog

I really like my Nikon monarch. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Leupold, Nikon, Zeiss .......all make quality scopes.  Hard to go wrong with those 3 brands.  It all depends on how much you want to spend.....that will certainly determine what model you would get with any of them.  As you probably know, there will be quite a difference in price in the top of the line & medium or bottom models in any of those.  The Vari X lll you mentioned is a good one, & its not cheap. Nikon Monarch is another excellent one. Nothing wrong with the Leupold Var X ll or the Nikon Buckmaster either.  Both are good scopes & a little easier on the pocket book. Lots of choices.  Take your time,  look & handle several brands & models.  I prefer fast focus eyepieces & plenty of eye relief.  You didn't mention what brands/models of scopes you now own, or have owned & what you are used to.  You certainly don't have to spend thousands $$$ to get a good quality scope. $220-$400 will buy you a nice dependable scope.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

deshahawg

I've got a Nikon on one rifle and a bushnell on another. I'm just looking for one that I won't have to worry about. I've been shooting a remington 700 270 and I can't seem to get a good group even with a vice. I've shot different shells and different grain bullets. I've got the M77 now and I'm wanting to get a good scope on it. I know it won't work everytime but I want to find one that is a great scope and that I don't have to worry about every time I bump it.

DOGALUM

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Hawgon

I like small and light scopes.  Leupold does the best job at that.  My pet peeve is a nice light and compact rifle with a Hubble telescope mounted on top.

deshahawg

I'm ready to have the last rifle and scope that I'll ever use. I started with an SKS  when I first started hunting. When I was about 14 I got a remington 700 270 and I'm 30 now. I'm hoping this new M77 and a nice scope will carry me through.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: deshahawg on May 31, 2013, 03:13:03 pm
I've got a Nikon on one rifle and a bushnell on another. I'm just looking for one that I won't have to worry about. I've been shooting a remington 700 270 and I can't seem to get a good group even with a vice. I've shot different shells and different grain bullets. I've got the M77 now and I'm wanting to get a good scope on it. I know it won't work everytime but I want to find one that is a great scope and that I don't have to worry about every time I bump it.

Deshahawg,

Not sure which scope that you have on the Rem 700, 270.....that is not grouping (Nikon or Bushnell & what model)  It may or may not...... be the scope.  I would switch scopes on the Rem 700 & try the same ammo as you did before.  If you have about the same results with groups, it can't be the scope.  Has the rifle been glass bedded or barrel free floated?  That could also be your problem with the groups.  I have seen that with a good number of rifles.  Also, could possibly be your rings or bases, they can be just as important to holding zero as the scope.  Do you reload, or are you using factory ammo? If it's factory ammo, if there is any ammo that you haven't tried yet in 130-140gr.....I would certainly do that first.  Sometimes, its that last load that you try....that works.....& don't be afraid to try the lower priced ammo either.  Depending on the individual rifle, they can group as good or better than the high priced stuff. 

From what you are saying, as far as a new scope......I would probably go with either the Nikon Monarch or the Leupold Var X lll if they are within your price range. The Zeiss Conquest is also in that same price range & a very excellent scope.....although I have never owned one. I have owned more than a dozen each of both Leupold & Nikon, in various models, & like both brands.  Both are great scopes. I lean a little towards the Nikon's.  I think you get a little more for your money. Any of those 3, would be a great choice. Even with a great model, those scopes are still going to be the most fragile thing on our rifle.  Good luck, & let me know how it turns out.

kodiakisland

Scopes I like better than a leupold VX 3 (VX III is the old model)?  Yes, there are some but at 3 to 5 times as much money.  Stick with the leupold and be happy for a lifetime.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

kodiakisland

Quote from: Hawgon on May 31, 2013, 04:34:55 pm
I like small and light scopes.  Leupold does the best job at that.  My pet peeve is a nice light and compact rifle with a Hubble telescope mounted on top.

No kidding.  My favorite scope is the leupold 2.5-8X36.  I have several and have never needed more light or more magnification in a hunting rifle.  Well, except for a night rifle, and then I used a 8X56 that was a bit big but worked well inthe dark.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 02, 2013, 11:51:02 pm
No kidding.  My favorite scope is the leupold 2.5-8X36.  I have several and have never needed more light or more magnification in a hunting rifle.  Well, except for a night rifle, and then I used a 8X56 that was a bit big but worked well inthe dark.

I'm a dinosaur.  I use a lot of fixed powers.  I use several Leupold 4xs and I have two Weaver Grand Slam 4.75xs that I like.  I like the Leupolds a little better, but I picked up the Grand Slams for $100 each on ebay.  That is a LOT of scope for that kind of money.

kodiakisland

I have several fixed scopes and like them.  A good 4X is all you really need for most big game hunting, but on a hunting rifle that will be used for everything, I like the low variables like the 1.75-6 or 2.5-8. 

BlakeHOGfanatic

Check out meoptas. Spelling might be wrong there, but I have two of them and two leupolds and they are a better scope in my opinion.

Hawgon

Quote from: kodiakisland on June 03, 2013, 09:51:56 am
I have several fixed scopes and like them.  A good 4X is all you really need for most big game hunting, but on a hunting rifle that will be used for everything, I like the low variables like the 1.75-6 or 2.5-8. 

I use several 1x4s and 1.5x5s and the like.  To me, a straight tube scope is the best looking scope you can put on a rifle.  And if it is a good scope, I've never noticed enough of a difference in low light performance to get upset about.  I can shoot to dark and past with any of them.

rcopela

I have M77 - 270 synthetic with Leupold 1.75 x 6 , I have no complaints except mine kicks like a yearling mule, I think its because its the mountain version (light)

philobeddoe

I have an M77 .270 as well.  I put a Leupold VX2 3x9x50 on it.  Absolutely love it.  Also, my .270 shoots Hornady Superformance 130gr. cartriges very well.

deshahawg

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 01, 2013, 02:30:26 am
Deshahawg,

Not sure which scope that you have on the Rem 700, 270.....that is not grouping (Nikon or Bushnell & what model)  It may or may not...... be the scope.  I would switch scopes on the Rem 700 & try the same ammo as you did before.  If you have about the same results with groups, it can't be the scope.  Has the rifle been glass bedded or barrel free floated?  That could also be your problem with the groups.  I have seen that with a good number of rifles.  Also, could possibly be your rings or bases, they can be just as important to holding zero as the scope.  Do you reload, or are you using factory ammo? If it's factory ammo, if there is any ammo that you haven't tried yet in 130-140gr.....I would certainly do that first.  Sometimes, its that last load that you try....that works.....& don't be afraid to try the lower priced ammo either.  Depending on the individual rifle, they can group as good or better than the high priced stuff. 

From what you are saying, as far as a new scope......I would probably go with either the Nikon Monarch or the Leupold Var X lll if they are within your price range. The Zeiss Conquest is also in that same price range & a very excellent scope.....although I have never owned one. I have owned more than a dozen each of both Leupold & Nikon, in various models, & like both brands.  Both are great scopes. I lean a little towards the Nikon's.  I think you get a little more for your money. Any of those 3, would be a great choice. Even with a great model, those scopes are still going to be the most fragile thing on our rifle.  Good luck, & let me know how it turns out.

My gun is just stock. I don't reload and I believe that the rings are in pretty good shape. I'm still in the process of looking. I've shot some different ammo in the gun. I do know that ballistic sliver tips shoot horribly out of my gun. I'm lucky to get a 8" group at 100 yards with them.

HogWall Jackson

The Redfield which is made by Leupold and has the same warranty is a very good buy these days.

deshahawg

pigture perfect

The Academy Sports in Little Rock had a Leupold on sale the other day. I think it was $249. Not sure which model, but it was only slightly more expensive than some of the upper end Bushnells.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

deshahawg

Quote from: pigture perfect on June 19, 2013, 11:55:34 pm
The Academy Sports in Little Rock had a Leupold on sale the other day. I think it was $249. Not sure which model, but it was only slightly more expensive than some of the upper end Bushnells.

Wish I had seen this a little earlier. I would have checked it out. I might have to wait a few months though. I'm still working on paying off some student loans. Man those are no fun.

rickm1976

Check out the Vortex Vipers.  I've read many positive reviews comparing them with the VXIII's.  Supposedly, their warranty and customer service are second to none.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: rickm1976 on June 26, 2013, 11:43:34 pm
Check out the Vortex Vipers.  I've read many positive reviews comparing them with the VXIII's.  Supposedly, their warranty and customer service are second to none.

I looked at those, but crap, they aren't THAT much cheaper than a Leupold (comparable models between the two).  I was just scared to shell out a lot for an unproven scope.  I've never had problems with Leupold and have several. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

tophawg19

i have several Leupold scopes but my favorites are the Bushnell world class 3x9 x40's . i have them on a rem. 700 -300 mag and a marlin 512 slugmaster which kicks like a double barrel 10 guage [ both triggers at once ] . these both have stood up for 20 years . that is a lot of recoil so i can say i swear by them . both shoot very good groups still. the leupold on the T/C encore has been very good . the one on the C.V.A has given problems . i also have a simmons 44 mag on a 243 H&R handi rifle that i dearly love . i wouldn't hesitate to put another world class on any gun i buy . they have stood up to 4 wheelers , pick-ups and kids
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

zane

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 27, 2013, 05:56:53 pm
I looked at those, but crap, they aren't THAT much cheaper than a Leupold (comparable models between the two).  I was just scared to shell out a lot for an unproven scope.  I've never had problems with Leupold and have several.

I wouldn't call Vortex unproven. They are not as well known as some of the bigger companies but they make fine glass.
RIP LSUfan

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: deshahawg on May 30, 2013, 05:26:56 pm
I just got a Ruger M77 .270 and I"m going to be looking at a new scope. I'm leaning toward a Leupold VX III. Do any of you fellas have other brands or have one that you like better. I don't wanna spend thousands but I'm looking to get a nice scope.

Deshahawg:

Saw a good deal.....thought I might make you aware of.  Just got a flier from Bass Pro Shops in the mail today.  Good sale price on this item.

Nikon Monarch  2.5-10x42 BDC  $299  ($100 off normal)

This is the lowest price that I ever remember seeing on these.  Excellent scope.  Shows online... it's in stock right now.   :razorback:

TechHog

Have a Zeiss conquest 3x9 on an a-bolt 270.   Really good scope, especially in low light conditions.  $399.

DeltaBoy

Tons of good scopes over at Optical Planet.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: rcopela on June 03, 2013, 03:37:35 pm
I have M77 - 270 synthetic with Leupold 1.75 x 6 , I have no complaints except mine kicks like a yearling mule, I think its because its the mountain version (light)

Come try my Tikka T3 Lite (6 lbs) in .300 Win Mag. You might be in a sling afterwards.

devildoghawg

What are you planning on doing with it?  If you are deer hunting, its of course very important to be accurate, but you don't need a sub moa setup for the shots that you will be taking with that 270.  If you want to get a nice scope, for a decent price, I'd check out the Vortex scopes.  They have some good glass on their mid range lineup, and won't break the bank.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: devildoghawg on August 13, 2013, 08:42:48 pm
What are you planning on doing with it?  If you are deer hunting, its of course very important to be accurate, but you don't need a sub moa setup for the shots that you will be taking with that 270.  If you want to get a nice scope, for a decent price, I'd check out the Vortex scopes.  They have some good glass on their mid range lineup, and won't break the bank.

I agree about the Vortex scopes.  Almost bought one last week.  The Crossfire ll that I saw for the first time (believe that was the model) was very clear, bright & had excellent eye relief. Very impressive for the price. Also had great reviews.  Probably one of the better buys right now.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: zane on June 28, 2013, 07:14:34 am
I wouldn't call Vortex unproven. They are not as well known as some of the bigger companies but they make fine glass.

Well, I meant unproven as in they are relatively new to the market compared to your traditional scopes (Nikon, Leupold, etc).  Its hard to beat Leupold as far as glass and service, in my opinion.  That being said, I'm in the market for a new scope for a rifle I've acquired so I may go the Vortex route just to try it out. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Hawgon

Boarslab

I've got a Vari X II, Vari X III, and a Burris Fullfield II.  Of the three I like the Burris the best of all of them and it was way cheaper than the Vari X III.  It has excellent light transmission at dusk--as good as the Vari X III---and is the clearest of the three.  The Vari X II is not very clear and does not gather light even close to the Vari X III and the Fullfield II....Burris makes some quality scopes for a much cheaper price IMO....the next scope I buy will be a Burris.  Look on Ebay and you can buy a scope much cheaper than in Cablela's , Bass Pro, etc.  If you really want to spend $500 on a scope though---the Vari X III ranks at the top.

deshahawg

Thanx for all the info! My Dad has a Burris scope(super old) and he loves it. He told me to get a Burris as well. I'm wanting to get it for deer hunting.

DeltaBoy

Burris is a fine scope my Uncle had one on his Little Browning Auto 22 since he bought it back in the 1950's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hudge

I have Burris, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell Elite, etc., and my favorite is the Burris.  I had a Vortex Diamondback, and if you want a Vortex get the Viper line.  My Diamondback was broke from the get go, sent it back and got a new one exactly one week later with a letter saying I had to have over torqued it when mounting the scope.  I have mounted several scopes before and the only other problem was a Bushnell that was adjusted all the way, and locke up when I went to bore sight it.  I give Vortex 5 Stars for their speedy customer service, but go with the Viper or higher lines if you choose Vortex, the eye relief on Diamondbacks is the worst of all scopes, especially a 4-12 like I had.

deshahawg

Ended up getting a Zeiss.....surprisingly I found some on sale at an excellent price and paid about the same amount I would have for the Leupold that I was looking at 4X12X42

AcornHunter

Quote from: deshahawg on September 05, 2013, 06:52:45 am
Ended up getting a Zeiss.....surprisingly I found some on sale at an excellent price and paid about the same amount I would have for the Leupold that I was looking at 4X12X42

You made a good choice.

An important consideration, I think, is how long will I use the scope?

A long, long time ago and far, far away (a good-paying job and no monetary obligations to a family) over a short period of time, I purchased three Zeisses (two 3 by 9 Diavaris and one 4 power) and two Leupolds (a VII and a VIII).  I don't remember their powers–they're in the safe–but they are variables.

Why ask yourself the opening question?  After roughly 25-30 years the Zeisses are still very clear, and the Leupolds are not.  Here one might think, you get what you pay for.
My son's 7-08 has a Monarch on it.  He likes it and I do to.  But time will tell.

I recently bought a 270 and mounted a Sightron SII Bigsky 3 by 12 on it, while the two Leupolds lay idle on a gun safe shelf.  The only thing that I don't like about the Sightron is that it doesn't have a quick-focus knob.  On the very good clarity, as with Son's Monarch, time will tell.

The telling result is:  I still use the Zeisses, but not the Leupolds.

Hawgon

Nice scope, but heavy.

kodiakisland

Quote from: AcornHunter on September 05, 2013, 03:02:39 pm
You made a good choice.

An important consideration, I think, is how long will I use the scope?

A long, long time ago and far, far away (a good-paying job and no monetary obligations to a family) over a short period of time, I purchased three Zeisses (two 3 by 9 Diavaris and one 4 power) and two Leupolds (a VII and a VIII).  I don't remember their powers–they're in the safe–but they are variables.

Why ask yourself the opening question?  After roughly 25-30 years the Zeisses are still very clear, and the Leupolds are not.  Here one might think, you get what you pay for.
My son's 7-08 has a Monarch on it.  He likes it and I do to.  But time will tell.

I recently bought a 270 and mounted a Sightron SII Bigsky 3 by 12 on it, while the two Leupolds lay idle on a gun safe shelf.  The only thing that I don't like about the Sightron is that it doesn't have a quick-focus knob.  On the very good clarity, as with Son's Monarch, time will tell.

The telling result is:  I still use the Zeisses, but not the Leupolds.

Big difference in price and quality of the scopes.  The Diavaris are not comparable to the cheaper Zeisses at all.  If you bought the leupolds years ago they were more likely vari-Xs and not VXs.  The two aren't the same, by several incarnations.  I would expect a scope costing 3-4 times as much to be better.

I went the other route.  I had two very nice Zeisses I bought while in Germany.  They were too heavy for my type of hunting and the leupolds VXIII and VX3s I replaced them with were almost as good optically but a lot lighter and probably tougher.

deshahawg

I got a new line that Zeiss is coming out with and they are less expensive now. The guy I work for has tons of cash and only buys these scopes. He said it's just like when their conquest line came out it was cheap to start with and the prices went up considerably when the others phased out. I'm going to put this scope on my Ruger M77 270 and most likely shoot it forever. It's a 4X12X42.

DOGALUM

A fine scope....no doubt. 

Scopes.....much like rifles.....are more of a personal preference kind of thing.  (provided you spend the money to buy quality) 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

PharmacistHog

Quote from: AcornHunter on September 05, 2013, 03:02:39 pm

My son’s 7-08 has a Monarch on it.  He likes it and I do to.  But time will tell.

Send them in to Leupold. 

Hawgon

A scope is an aiming device, not a telescope.  There are other factors more important than absolute clarity of image.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: deshahawg on September 05, 2013, 06:52:45 am

Very good choice, deshahawg.  Zeiss makes excellent scopes.

deshahawg

I'll let you guys know how it works out. When I finally get my gun I'll mount the scope and try to post a picture.

derfarhar333

People gravitate towards the high zoom scopes and I can't blame em. But I like my SWFA SS 10x42. I believe it's a military contract scope. I do know its tough as nails and has good clear glass. $300.

bamahogfan

What do y'all think about the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42?  Cabela's has it on sale for $309 down from regular price of $449