Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stocking Trout in Spring fed pond

Started by ur, May 22, 2013, 10:34:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ur

I have a spring fed pond that I want to stock with trout. I think it is too cold for anything else. Where can I find some or is the best thing to do is catch some and try to keep them alive until I get them to the pond? I live in Fayetteville. Thanks in advance.

twistitup

I bet Larry at Southtown Sports would know the answer, he worked for the AFGC back in the day - they get fingerling  trout somewhere. Along with deliveries of minnows and goldfish - maybe they know where fingerling trout are too....maybe the same guy delivering bait knows where a local hatchery exists that would sell some to you.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

pigture perfect

If you can get them from Game and Fish somehow, I might suggest German Brown. They are hardy fish and grow quite large.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Verge

Quote from: ur on May 22, 2013, 10:34:15 am
I have a spring fed pond that I want to stock with trout. I think it is too cold for anything else. Where can I find some or is the best thing to do is catch some and try to keep them alive until I get them to the pond? I live in Fayetteville. Thanks in advance.

That's illegal as sh1t dude. No.

Also, do you know why trout prefer cold water?

twistitup

Quote from: Verge on May 22, 2013, 07:29:59 pm
That's illegal as sh1t dude. No. H

Also, do you know why trout prefer cold water?

He said it was cold and spring fed....

Also, people stock fish in ponds all the time. You can legally buy black bass, catfish, bluegill, etc....why would trout be any different? It's not like he's trying to buy bald eagles.

http://mtnfootfarm.net/index_files/Page395.htm

Verge

Quote from: twistitup on May 22, 2013, 08:44:23 pm
He said it was cold and spring fed....

Also, people stock fish in ponds all the time. You can legally buy black bass, catfish, bluegill, etc....why would trout be any different? It's not like he's trying to buy bald eagles.

http://mtnfootfarm.net/index_files/Page395.htm
. Catching native fish and releasing them is 120% illegal in Arkansas. You cannot keep live trout out of the river. Yes you can buy them.

Trout need highly oxygenated water and specific prey. I would do some serious research before spending big bucks on some finger lengths.

woodrow hog call

I would also do some temperature charting on your pond, I can't imagine a pond staying cold enough for trout, during the summer months.

If it is close to your house though, you should cooling and heating with it, via geothermal heat pump.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Verge

They can tolerate higher temperatures, it's keeping the oxygen in the water.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Verge on May 23, 2013, 07:17:36 pm
They can tolerate higher temperatures, it's keeping the oxygen in the water.

Spring ponds, if they're truly spring ponds, do a fine job of sustaining trout.  Spring Mill, north of Batesville , had a nice population of rainbow trout and there were some bruisers in there.  I haven't been by there in years, but it's right beside highway 69 between Batesville and Melbourne.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigture perfect

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 23, 2013, 07:32:54 pm

Spring ponds, if they're truly spring ponds, do a fine job of sustaining trout.  Spring Mill, north of Batesville , had a nice population of rainbow trout and there were some bruisers in there.  I haven't been by there in years, but it's right beside highway 69 between Batesville and Melbourne.
Been there many times Al. Loved seeing those big fish. I don't think they are there anymore though.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Albert Einswine

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 23, 2013, 10:15:25 pm
Been there many times Al. Loved seeing those big fish. I don't think they are there anymore though.

I wanted to fish it so bad it drove me crazy as a 14 year old, lol! 
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Verge

I know they had trout at dog patch, but I'm pretty sure the had mechanical aerators.

Or maybe I'm confusing 2 different places, long time ago.

ur

I have power close so mechanical aeration can be done. I'm just gathering information right now. Not going to do anything illegal or anything that would endanger the fish.
I have been to Dogpatch and Spring Mill. Enjoyed both places.

yonklick455

Check out the pond boss forum. It is a wealth of info on just about any topic concerning pond building, stocking, and management.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on February 14, 2012, 09:10:36 am
no offense bro, but i don't think you've ever taken anything with a grain of salt in your life.

Quote from: cosmodrum on June 17, 2013, 10:11:51 pm
Man, the FCI that day was Threat Level Midnight.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 23, 2013, 07:32:54 pm

Yes, I have been there 2 or 3 times, many years ago.  You could see some big fish swimming around in that pond.  I have a picture on my wall that reminds me of that place.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

deshahawg

Keep us updated on what you decide to do. I'm interested in knowing if this works out and what kind of road blocks you might hit.

pigture perfect

AG&F had a traveling trout pond that would be for kids at RV shows and carnivals. They could possibly lend advice.

Hog_Swanson

Bump, I am interested in the outcome.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

deshahawg

pigture perfect

OldCoot

Me three. :D  I remember a store just north of Harrison that had trout in their pond. (I think).  When they put the bypass in, I don't remember seeing the store any more.  There's also a pay trout pond up on the Mizz/Ar border.  Took a small trout home and put it in aquarium.  Was dead in a day.

twistitup

OldCoot

I have never been REAL trout fishing and I've always wanted to.  When I was in college at Henderson many years ago, some fraternity brothers would go down south and come back with a mess of trout.  I think they called it the strawberry or little red. Not sure though but it couldn't have been North because they were only gone a few hours.

Albert Einswine

Little Missouri River below Lake Greeson perhaps?

PEtrader

I want to buy your house, ha.  That would be awesome to have my own trout pond.
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

snoblind

Quote from: twistitup on July 04, 2013, 08:53:23 pm
http://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=156

Here is a Harrison trout pond still in business

That's the one I remember.  DeVito's is/was a pretty good restaurant.. Italian and trout.

On the OP Google is your friend.  I remember getting a sales flyer 3-4 times a year back in the 90's when I lived in Fayetteville from folks that stocked ponds.  I'll bet there is someone in the biz who has access to trout.

deshahawg

Quote from: Dude on July 05, 2013, 10:39:29 am
I have never been REAL trout fishing and I've always wanted to.  When I was in college at Henderson many years ago, some fraternity brothers would go down south and come back with a mess of trout.  I think they called it the strawberry or little red. Not sure though but it couldn't have been North because they were only gone a few hours.

I went on a guided trip with my Dad back about 10 years ago when I was in high school. We totally destroyed the trout. We caught a ton of them and had a great time. I don't remember the guide but we went around Cotter.

OldCoot

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 05, 2013, 12:41:00 pm
Little Missouri River below Lake Greeson perhaps?

It was around Arkadelphia, maybe Murfreesboro?  Water isn't that cold down there though.