Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Open carry!

Started by Verge, May 04, 2013, 06:13:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Verge

Why is this not being discussed in here?

Bam, Alright Now

Excited! But I hate how much it is open to interpretation. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out and if it sticks or the legislature tries to go back on it.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Verge on May 04, 2013, 06:13:19 pm
Why is this not being discussed in here?

I think it's assumed we all open carry when hunting.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Albert Einswine

Quote from: kodiakisland on May 04, 2013, 08:10:10 pm
I think it's assumed we all open carry when hunting.

I can't even put an estimate on how many times I've walked into a country store, a gas station or a cafe during deer season in Arkansas in my camo with a sidearm on  my hip. No one ever thought anything about it.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

rickm1976

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 04, 2013, 09:05:07 pm
I can't even put an estimate on how many times I've walked into a country store, a gas station or a cafe during deer season in Arkansas in my camo with a sidearm on  my hip. No one ever thought anything about it.

I used to do the same thing, but not in the past few years.  There are just too many people who might freak out and call the SWAT team.  I don't know how many times I parked my truck with a shotgun in the rack in the back window in the school parking lot when I was in HS back in the 70's, and nobody ever thought anything about it.  Times sure have changed.

Verge

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 05, 2013, 06:58:27 am
I used to do the same thing, but not in the past few years.  There are just too many people who might freak out and call the SWAT team.  I don't know how many times I parked my truck with a shotgun in the rack in the back window in the school parking lot when I was in HS back in the 70's, and nobody ever thought anything about it.  Times sure have changed.

Well, what July first? Time are changing back.

Pudgepork

while not an advocate of open carry, I do think its time the sensitive types
started getting more exposure to guns.  During hunting seasons, it would
probably do a lot of them some good to be in the same vicinity of those
dastardly tools of death and see that they seldom go off by themselves.

A person wearing in camo, or not, walking naturally into a store or a gas
station who just happens to have a gun on their person will cause a few
quick looks and make some take a quick breath.   The 3rd or 4th time that
that situation happens, the sensitive types might calm and see that everyone
out there who handles guns aren't mad dog crazy looking to add to the body
count.

pigture perfect

Those of us who have seen the damage a round can do to an animal we've harvested certainly can appreciate that firearm for what it can do. It helps us know to be very careful when handling one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PonderinHog

I still think wearing the ski mask is a bad idea, Al.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 06, 2013, 10:28:34 am
I still think wearing the ski mask is a bad idea, Al.

It kept my face warm on the stand... wait, is that why all those nice people were shoving all their cash on me?  I never made the connection...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DeltaBoy

Same here if your camo is on and your buying gas in some snacks or eating at the Cafe noone in Monroe County cares.  But out side of huntning folks get a little uptight.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LL COOL HOG

Pudgepork

Quote from: bigrod155 on May 16, 2013, 11:11:26 pm
http://www.examiner.com/article/arkansas-to-become-the-nation-s-45th-open-carry-state-on-august-15th

http://www.thearkansasproject.com/the-greatest-untold-story-of-the-89th-general-assembly/

I just wasted $147 bucks for a conceal carry! I saw this thread and thought it was wishful thinking when it was initially posted.

Your money wasn't wasted.  The number of people rushing
to buy guns, ammo and CCW permits make the gun grabbers
ill. That in itself is worth the cost. 

rcopela

Quote from: Pudgepork on May 17, 2013, 07:39:55 am
Your money wasn't wasted.  The number of people rushing
to buy guns, ammo and CCW permits make the gun grabbers
ill. That in itself is worth the cost. 
Agree!

Albert Einswine

Your money wasn't wasted because unless you never plan to carry concealed or cross state lines you'll still need the permit to be legal.

Old Tusk

If you think open carry is legal, you need to read Act 746. Nothing changed.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

McKdaddy

We began open carry in OK in November, but I can't say that I see many doing it much. Probably just maintaining concealment instead.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Razorhogs

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 17, 2013, 02:19:46 pm

I agree.  This is a good site for info.  http://www.arkansascarry.com/

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Albert Einswine on May 17, 2013, 12:47:51 pm
Your money wasn't wasted because unless you never plan to carry concealed or cross state lines you'll still need the permit to be legal.

Thanks!

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 17, 2013, 02:19:46 pm

Very good info.

Verge

Rzbakfromwaybak

Yeah, I can see where this open carry may have some real advantages for consumers......

Wearing a big .44 or .357 on your hip can't hurt,  when you go into an auto repair to pick up your car & the bill.....

Or when you are dealing with car salesmen, etc.......

You may automatically receive a "non-advertised" 15% discount.......that is not available to "non carriers".....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

DeltaBoy

I will wait and see how certain aspects of this bill play out.  I wore a MKII Ruger a lot working rice fields back in the 1980's.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

AnonymousHog

I worry about the open carry in your home county being legal until lawsuits come out.  But it's very open to interpretation.  The only way I have had it explained to me by one of the State Representatives is your safe to open carry if you are out of your home county the "journey" portion.  Open carry within your home county is still iffy. This was from one of the sponsors of the bill.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 21, 2013, 10:00:45 am
I worry about the open carry in your home county being legal until lawsuits come out.  But it's very open to interpretation.  The only way I have had it explained to me by one of the State Representatives is your safe to open carry if you are out of your home county the "journey" portion.  Open carry within your home county is still iffy. This was from one of the sponsors of the bill.
Yep I will bet it gets canned in PB, and Little Rock.

Old Tusk

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 21, 2013, 10:00:45 am

Where does it say you open carry in your home county? Where does it say you canopen carry anywhere but on your own property or in your car if you are leaving your home county?
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 21, 2013, 10:14:14 am
Yep I will bet it gets canned in PB, and Little Rock.

See your point.....& that's 2 cities where it may be needed most...
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AnonymousHog

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 22, 2013, 10:13:47 pm
Where does it say you open carry in your home county? Where does it say you canopen carry anywhere but on your own property or in your car if you are leaving your home county?

A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses
a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully
employ
the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person

By this language it's written in a way that you can carry a handgun for protection as long as you don't plan to use it illegally.  If you have to use it then it's on the courts to decided were you carrying it for protection or with the intent to unlawfully use it to harm another person.

Old Tusk

Quote from: AnonymousHog on May 23, 2013, 08:34:36 am
A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses
a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to attempt to unlawfully
employ
the handgun, knife, or club as a weapon against a person

OBy this language it's written in a way that you can carry a handgun for protection as long as you don't plan to use it illegally.  If you have to use it then it's on the courts to decided were you carrying it for protection or with the intent to unlawfully use it to harm another person.

I would hate to take that to court asa defense. The open carry law got crushef. Even if we assume you are right, don't you think that hole would get filled quickly. This is just open carry law groups trying to claim victory from thier crushing defeat.  Open carty your gun to Walmart tommorrow, love to see how thst turns out.

Kodiak

Quote from: rickm1976 on May 05, 2013, 06:58:27 am
  I don't know how many times I parked my truck with a shotgun in the rack in the back window in the school parking lot when I was in HS
In the 60's, if there was a pickup, there was a firearm. No big deal.
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

pigture perfect

One benefit of having a CCP is that it speeds things up when purchasing new firearms. I think I will still renew it, and most definitely be concealed when carrying.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

AnonymousHog

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 24, 2013, 07:45:28 pm
I would hate to take that to court asa defense. The open carry law got crushef. Even if we assume you are right, don't you think that hole would get filled quickly. This is just open carry law groups trying to claim victory from thier crushing defeat.  Open carty your gun to Walmart tommorrow, love to see how thst turns out.

Law isn't in effect yet.  So why would I open carry my gun to walmart tomorrow?  Also I'm not on a journey so why would I do that?

kingofdequeen

don't forget your dusters.  that's gotta be a pre-req for open carry, right?

AnonymousHog

Quote from: Old Tusk on May 24, 2013, 07:45:28 pm

Again I'm just conveying the information I received from the lawmakers that wrote and those that sponsored the bill.  As well as seeing the quotes from the Arkansas State Police office in their support for the bill.  Take that information with it as you want or pick up the phone call the lawmakers behind the bill and get the information over it all and read for yourself.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: AnonymousHog on June 06, 2013, 08:23:11 am
Again I'm just conveying the information I received from the lawmakers that wrote and those that sponsored the bill.  As well as seeing the quotes from the Arkansas State Police office in their support for the bill.  Take that information with it as you want or pick up the phone call the lawmakers behind the bill and get the information over it all and read for yourself.

HA!

you think they wrote that bill?

AnonymousHog

I know the lawyers who helped write the changes and legal paperwork for it as well as Denny Altes who was the lead sponsor of the bill.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: AnonymousHog on June 06, 2013, 08:38:29 am
I know the lawyers who helped write the changes and legal paperwork for it as well as Denny Altes who was the lead sponsor of the bill.

he's a peach.  he showed up to an oversight committee the other day wearing a hawaiian shirt, untucked, and sunglasses.  just the respect for arkansas and the office that arkansans deserve.

still, if you think they wrote that bill, you're mistaken.

Hawgon

I don't know about open carry, but I simply do not see how a prosecution could be sustained for someone caring a gun in a vehicle in a manner that was considered unlawful before this law was passed.  Simply say that you were traveling to a town in another county and they couldn't prove otherwise.  It wouldn't matter if you were stopped ten feet from your front door or ten miles down the road.

AnonymousHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 06, 2013, 08:40:07 am
he's a peach.  he showed up to an oversight committee the other day wearing a hawaiian shirt, untucked, and sunglasses.  just the respect for arkansas and the office that arkansans deserve.

Please give me names then.

95_alum

Does this take effect starting today or August 16?

Hawgon

I see Dusty agrees with my reasoning.  The burden is now shifted to the state to prove that you weren't traveling when one is stopped with a loaded handgun in your automobile.  If you are outside your county, the rule is clear and the defense is valid.  If you are inside your county, it will be the burden of the state to prove that you were not beginning a journey and in most circumstances, that would be an impossible task for the state if you keep your mouth shut.

It is de facto legalization of concealed carry in automobiles without permit, but I never could get open carry out of it.  It is very similar to the Texas statute passed in 2007.

DeltaBoy

I open carry on my farm and at my house.

hawgs34

I do too, Delta.  I have two sections of ground in adjoining counties.  Do you guys agree that it is now legal for me to leave the gun concealed when traveling to and from each farm, even without a permit?  If so, do I have to unload the thing?  Thanks for your help. 

95_alum

Open Carry march tomorrow. Fort Smith
http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2013/aug/23/gun-rights-group-plans-open-carry-march/

The Attorney General's opinion is not binding under law.
Starts around the 8:20 mark:
http://guntalk.libsyn.com/guntalk-2013-08-18-part-b

kingofdequeen

Quote from: 95_alum on August 23, 2013, 11:18:11 am
The Attorney General's opinion is not binding under law.

umm...that's news.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on August 23, 2013, 01:21:18 pm
umm...that's news.

The attorney generals opinion is just his opinion of how a court interpret or rule on the constitutionality of the law.

PEtrader

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 06, 2013, 08:40:07 am

Denny is hilarious. 
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "