Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Network in 2019... Will You Have It?

Started by rhog1, May 01, 2013, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rihog

Quote from: gibby on July 10, 2014, 07:25:39 pm
As long as DirecTV has the exclusive contract for NFL Sunday Ticket and the MLB Package, I'm staying put.  But you're welcome.

Dish has the MLB package
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

McKdaddy

Guv's statement is making rethink my committment to DTV.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Bogustus

Quote from: rihog on July 13, 2014, 09:43:47 am
I work directly for Dish. I find this thread interesting. Now I'm not here to tell you which service is better because I can't tell you that. Every situation is different. But what I can tell you is this:
There is a lot of talk in the industry that Direct is thinking about giving up the Sunday Ticket. It cost them too much money to remain competitive. So they are exploring their options, one group thinks that Google is positioning themselves to take over Sunday ticket and offering it through YouTube. The technology is there, you'd have to subscribe, to that particular channel and would be charged a fee. Additionally, they would offer an ala carte option, where you could purchase a per game or per team type of option.
There has been some talk about Direct partnering with some other entity to help subsidize the cost. Because in reality, even if you have Direct and don't have the Sunday ticket, you're still paying for it. It's tied up in their carriage fees. But if you do a little research on the internet, you can find the breakdown.
In regard to the sec network, it's far from a done deal. Ask anyone that wanted the pac12 network on direct. Seriously, you might not see it on Direct, because they'd have to raise prices again. That's the same reason, that they've yet to carry the pac12 network.

AT&T is waiting until DirecTV renews the contract with Sunday Ticket before moving forward with the acquisition, so I'm pretty sure DirecTV has every intention to lock it in again.

Directv will have the SEC network once negotiations are complete. Dish is the service that dropped AMC for a period and didn't have all the Disney networks until the latest contract. So far Directv viewers lost the weather channel for a short period of time. They will get it done.

Kevin

PAC 12 network does not have the power do espn to negotiate with.  Big difference
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

moses_007

There are over 100 channels on my DirecTv that I never watch.  I wish you could get a package tailored to what you want, and need.

I could get by just fine with just ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, CNN, Weather Channel and AMC.

I have Roku with Netflix, HBO GO and EPIX, so I don't need all that other crap on the DirecTv lineup.  I don't even need the local Little Rock stations either, since I have a digital antenna I can switch over to for them.  The quality of HD over the air is definitely better than from satellite.

rihog

Quote from: Bogustus on July 13, 2014, 10:24:30 am
AT&T is waiting until DirecTV renews the contract with Sunday Ticket before moving forward with the acquisition, so I'm pretty sure DirecTV has every intention to lock it in again.

Directv will have the SEC network once negotiations are complete. Dish is the service that dropped AMC for a period and didn't have all the Disney networks until the latest contract. So far Directv viewers lost the weather channel for a short period of time. They will get it done.

Not to derail the thread, but there a re no guarantees that the directv/ AT&T goes through. FCC is going to take a long look at a merger like this. I stand by what I said in regard to the Sunday ticket. Google is going to be a major obstacle for directv reaquiring the Sunday ticket.

Dish did have all the Disney networks. Just some were not carried in hd, same with Espn. In regard to channels dropped. In 2011 directv dropped all of the Fox networks, in 2012 it was cbs all 17 of their networks. So channels dropping is not an uncommon thing in the pay tv industry.

I try not to get into arguments about people's pay tv choices. I am sure whatever you have suits your needs. I was just trying to let people know what's going on in regard to the possibility that the Sunday ticket might not be as "slam dunk" as some think it is. The same thing in regard to the sec network possibly not picked up by directv.
I think that a deal will get done with the sec network, personally. I don't think the FCC will approve the merger, personally. I believe that if direct goes after the Sunday ticket, they will overbid, due to google wanting it and overvaluing it. I think that directv will continue to hemorrhage money on the Sunday ticket if they keep it. So they are in a weak negotiating position.

Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

Kevin

i wish the federal government would stay out of private business
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Bogustus

Quote from: rihog on July 13, 2014, 11:52:57 am
Not to derail the thread, but there a re no guarantees that the directv/ AT&T goes through. FCC is going to take a long look at a merger like this. I stand by what I said in regard to the Sunday ticket. Google is going to be a major obstacle for directv reaquiring the Sunday ticket.

Dish did have all the Disney networks. Just some were not carried in hd, same with Espn. In regard to channels dropped. In 2011 directv dropped all of the Fox networks, in 2012 it was cbs all 17 of their networks. So channels dropping is not an uncommon thing in the pay tv industry.

I try not to get into arguments about people's pay tv choices. I am sure whatever you have suits your needs. I was just trying to let people know what's going on in regard to the possibility that the Sunday ticket might not be as "slam dunk" as some think it is. The same thing in regard to the sec network possibly not picked up by directv.
I think that a deal will get done with the sec network, personally. I don't think the FCC will approve the merger, personally. I believe that if direct goes after the Sunday ticket, they will overbid, due to google wanting it and overvaluing it. I think that directv will continue to hemorrhage money on the Sunday ticket if they keep it. So they are in a weak negotiating position.

I wasn't trying to argue, and I know that FCC approval is probably a long shot, but AT&T has specifically written into the deal an out clause if Directv loses Sunday Ticket.  That's why I feel they will work hard to keep it.

hog.goblin

Quote from: rihog on July 13, 2014, 11:52:57 am

If AT&T and Directv isn't a done deal, then how come AT&T is already trying to get me to merge my directv bill onto my phone bill?

Not arguing, genuinely curious.  Seems like that's very premature unless they have government assurances.

GuvHog

Quote from: Theolesnort on July 13, 2014, 08:11:23 am
Zackly, when Guv sez sumun just go opposite to it.

Was that really necessary???? I've never insulted you like that nor will I ever do so.   ::)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Theolesnort

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 13, 2014, 10:04:56 am
Guv's statement is making rethink my committment to DTV.
Guv is a oracle but with a catch. Somehow someway I suspect he has Cheyenne blood with a tendency toward the contrarian way of life. (See movie Little Big Man to fully understand.)
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Theolesnort

Quote from: GuvHog on July 13, 2014, 01:50:54 pm
Was that really necessary???? I've never insulted you like that nor will I ever do so.   ::)
Not a insult Guv, I use you as an oracle. I appreciate you. Everyone has their nitch or calling.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

TNhogfan

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 13, 2014, 01:16:05 pm
If AT&T and Directv isn't a done deal, then how come AT&T is already trying to get me to merge my directv bill onto my phone bill?

Not arguing, genuinely curious.  Seems like that's very premature unless they have government assurances.
In our area, AT&T has Uverse available in only a couple of towns.  The other places, it partners with DTV to provide TV for people who would like wireless, home phone and TV all on one bill. The landline company for this area does the same thing with Dish.

Country Stylz

Switched to Dish and don't have to worry about it anymore. Plus I can get NFL Red Zone for cheap now. feelsgoodman.

jbcarol

Clay Travis @ClayTravisBGID  ·  13h

I'd take Comcast at +250 to be announced this week for @secnetwork. Think it's most likely them.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Vantage 8 dude

I just read off one of my financial news feeds that at this point DTV and ESPN are apparently very close to finalizing a deal. Apparently Direct wants to keep a very good relationship with Disney (ESPN's parent) due to other programing that the "mouse ear" channel controls. No "hard ball" was how the article described DTV's approach to the negotiations. If true this should definitely ease the minds of anyone who was very concerned that Direct won't be offering the best in college football this fall.

Großer Kriegschwein

Suddenlink irritated me with hiking their rates and still not having the SEC Network available. So cancelled, and I got Dish. Gave me some good concessions and brand new gear. reduced my bill by nearly half.
This is my non-signature signature.

coastalrazorback

I just can't see how they could afford not to pick them up in the long run. They would have a mass exit from a large amount of their southern subscribers.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 14, 2014, 02:48:21 pm
Suddenlink irritated me with hiking their rates and still not having the SEC Network available. So cancelled, and I got Dish. Gave me some good concessions and brand new gear. reduced my bill by nearly half.

Speaking from prior experiances, don't expect your DishNetwork bill to always be as low as it is now. Keep an eye on it, they have a tendacy to go up from month to month.

bp

WizardofhOgZ

I finally decided that I'm going to stay with DirecTV, even if they don't have the SEC Network at launch.  I've been with them more than 15 years, have all the equipment and features that I want and like (two HD DVR's, ability to record multiple shows at the same time, ability to record in one room and watch in another, etc.).  My only concern is that DirecTV has a history of playing hardball on these things (eg, they still don't have the PAC network), but I just can't see them holding the line against the massive defections they will face if they don't have the SEC Network very soon.  They are already probably feeling a lot of heat as the calls to their Customer Service folks accelerate with every day they are not announcing a deal with the SEC Network.

So, instead, I decided to see what I could get from DirecTV to NOT cancel.  I settled on a deal where I am getting a $50 per month discount for a year, plus getting the NFL Sunday Ticket Max package ($330 value).  I don't know that they'll be this flexible once they have a deal with the SEC Network.  In years past, I was able to negotiate a discount on the NFL Sunday Ticket, but never could I get it for free (as an existing customer). 

I'd advise everyone who has a carrier other than those already announced - if you aren't ready to make the commitment to change to another carrier (and many will take that route, I know) - to call your provider and hammer out the best deal you'll probably ever get to stay with them.  Once they announce the agreement with the SEC Network, your leverage will be greatly reduced.  I'd think this would work especially in the southern part of the country.

Good luck!

jbcarol

Chuck Dunlap @SEC_Chuck  ·  6h
SEC Network Completes Football Commentating Roster and Assignments « ESPN MediaZone http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/07/sec-network-completes-football-commentating-roster-and-assignments ...

QuoteAdds Analysts Matt Stinchcomb, Andre Ware; Also Tony Barnhart, Tom Hart, Kaylee Hartung and Dave Neal

Ware and Stinchcomb join Jesse Palmer, Greg McElroy, Booger McFarland, Marcus Spears, and of course, Tim Tebow.

SEC Network college football booth pairings:
         Musburger and Palmer
         Neal and Ware
         Tom Hart and Stinchcomb
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

rhog1

There is a rumor from one of the insiders at satelliteguys that Directv has reached or will reach  a deal with ESPN. The rumor is not that they are caving to carry the SEC network but that they got majorly embarrassed by not being able to offer watch espn during the World Cup so are having to deal for the SEC Network to gain access to the app. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Had dish for 10 years. Never had a problem. Had good sports packages at reasonable prices.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: rhog1 on July 14, 2014, 08:06:56 pm
There is a rumor from one of the insiders at satelliteguys that Directv has reached or will reach  a deal with ESPN. The rumor is not that they are caving to carry the SEC network but that they got majorly embarrassed by not being able to offer watch espn during the World Cup so are having to deal for the SEC Network to gain access to the app. 
Praise the Lord! Maybe they will officially announce Wednesday at sec media day.

moses_007

DirecTV had better get it done this month.  A number of Hogvillans have announced they'll be switching Aug. 1 if a deal isn't done.

GuvHog

Quote from: moses_007 on July 14, 2014, 09:33:42 pm
DirecTV had better get it done this month.  A number of Hogvillans have announced they'll be switching Aug. 1 if a deal isn't done.

Seriously??? The SEC Network doesn't even go on the air until the middle of August. Jump the gun much???

McKdaddy

Quote from: GuvHog on July 15, 2014, 09:38:02 am
Seriously??? The SEC Network doesn't even go on the air until the middle of August. Jump the gun much???

That's a lot of question marks.

Depends Guv, I have to have some sort of deadline to make the switch, given that an installer for whatever competitor I choose won't be coming to my house the next day.  A better switch date would be closer to our Aug 30th game, but it will take them a week to get an installer to the house, so that moves the optimal switch date ahead in August.  Additionally, I'd move forward another week in the event there are unintended cancellations by them or I.  Then I'm taking off 10 days in August for a vacation.  When I take all that into account, then I'd be calling during the first week of August to begin the process of switching to a competitor.  Not totally irrational.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Country Stylz

Well sometimes it takes them a week to come and install your service so I wouldn't call switching Aug 1 jumping the gun. I've already switched. I don't have time to play games with my Hogs.

rhog1

http://www.tvpredictions.com/tv071414.htm
Why Directv will add the SEC Network.
Also according to a poster on Satelliteguys the Directv mobile command center is at SEC Media days as a sponsor. Maybe there will be an announcement when the ESPN guy speaks tomorrow morning.

Murr

Quote from: hog.goblin on July 13, 2014, 01:16:05 pm

At&T acquired Directv.  The one stipulation in the deal the At&t paid was that if Directv did not secure the NFL Sunday TV rights, then Directv would have to pay At&t back one billlion dollars.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: rhog1 on July 15, 2014, 12:47:11 pm
Also according to a poster on Satelliteguys the Directv mobile command center is at SEC Media days as a sponsor. Maybe there will be an announcement when the ESPN guy speaks tomorrow morning.

And that's why I decided to leverage them to the hilt now, before they announce.

ChicoHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 14, 2014, 05:00:59 pm
I finally decided that I'm going to stay with DirecTV, even if they don't have the SEC Network at launch.  I've been with them more than 15 years, have all the equipment and features that I want and like (two HD DVR's, ability to record multiple shows at the same time, ability to record in one room and watch in another, etc.).  My only concern is that DirecTV has a history of playing hardball on these things (eg, they still don't have the PAC network), but I just can't see them holding the line against the massive defections they will face if they don't have the SEC Network very soon.  They are already probably feeling a lot of heat as the calls to their Customer Service folks accelerate with every day they are not announcing a deal with the SEC Network.

So, instead, I decided to see what I could get from DirecTV to NOT cancel.  I settled on a deal where I am getting a $50 per month discount for a year, plus getting the NFL Sunday Ticket Max package ($330 value).  I don't know that they'll be this flexible once they have a deal with the SEC Network.  In years past, I was able to negotiate a discount on the NFL Sunday Ticket, but never could I get it for free (as an existing customer). 

I'd advise everyone who has a carrier other than those already announced - if you aren't ready to make the commitment to change to another carrier (and many will take that route, I know) - to call your provider and hammer out the best deal you'll probably ever get to stay with them.  Once they announce the agreement with the SEC Network, your leverage will be greatly reduced.  I'd think this would work especially in the southern part of the country.

Good luck!

Thanks.  I'm with you as a DTV subscriber for 14 years.  I don't want to switch.  I also hate negotiating and hagling but it sounds like it's worth it to get $50 off the bill for a year. 

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: rhog1 on July 15, 2014, 12:47:11 pm
When was the ESPN guy speaking?

rhog1

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on July 16, 2014, 09:39:46 am
When was the ESPN guy speaking?
He is scheduled to go on after Pinkel who is speaking now.

1 hog n eldo

muddhogger

Here's an updated article on secnetwork and directv that came out today.

@fbrumormill: DirecTV 'hopes to provide' SEC Network
http://t.co/lxBmOvKszX

jbcarol

Clay Travis @ClayTravisBGID  ·  1h

Lots of you have asked if @SECNetwork will be on WatchESPN app. Answer is yes.

No official announcements of additional @secnetwork carriers at media days.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 14, 2014, 05:00:59 pm

Good luck!

Been with them for 8 years, unfortunately I just re did my contract about 3 months ago, so I'm locked in for 2 years with no chance of renegotiating. Love that "what can you do for me not to cancel" talk.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Kevin

Justin Connolly, president of the SEC Network, At this point, I can't guarantee that Comcast & DirectTV will have the SEC Network. We're in advanced negotiations

on bo's show

jbcarol

HOOVER – There are two major issues concerning the launch of the SEC Network on Aug. 14.

Justin Connolly, ESPN senior vice-president of college networks, took the podium at Southeastern Conference Media Days on Wednesday to discuss the content that will be part of the new network making its debut in four weeks.

The second issue, how to reach the fans through distribution, is still a work in progress.

Quote"Thankfully, our skilled distribution team continues to work tirelessly in this area," Connolly said. "Last week we announced the addition of Cox Communications to our growing providers. We have since added two smaller cooperative deals, for all of these distributors realize their customers need this network.

"We now have six deals completed, all shapes and sizes, (with) DISH, U-verse, the NRTC, the NTTC, PTC Communications, Cox Communications and Google Fiber. Across the country, all fans have options to access the SEC Network."

Two of the biggest cable providers in central Alabama, WideOpenWest (WOW!) and Charter Communications, remain uncommitted at this point, although negotiations are ongoing.

Reported yesterday that the main cable provider servicing Lexington also had not signed on with the SEC Network.

jbcarol

How will the SEC Network cover the SEC?

Very carefully.

And very selectively.

In short, will a conference that has plenty of dirty laundry send everything to the cleaner before it hits the TV screen?

Quote"We're not going to do a lot of investigative journalism, but we are going to report when something happens and let fans know," said Justin Connolly, ESPN senior vice president of college networks, who oversees the SEC Network.

"I think that's critical if we're going to maintain editorial integrity and credibility with fans out there."

Many believe the SEC Network will pump $20 million-plus into each conference school's budget per year.

With that kind of money in play, this is a high-stakes game of give and take. The SEC Network aims to give passionate fans what they want — lots of games and live programming — while taking care not to completely gloss over any negative stories involving SEC schools.

Connolly has called it "a balancing act."

"We are developing a national network, and it's very important to us that it has credibility, not only with the media but with fans everywhere," Slive said. "Fans need to know they can rely on getting information they need to get on the SEC Network."

"I think we'll get into subjects that will surprise a lot of people," Finebaum said.

Nobody is saying it on the record, but televising a talk show like Finebaum's is a response to the Big Ten Network's high-road approach to, well, everything. When it comes to its member schools, the Big Ten Network is all kittens and rainbows.

States that Jerry Sandusky news was largely off-limits on the B1G Network.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Murr on July 15, 2014, 09:22:41 pm
At&T acquired Directv.  The one stipulation in the deal the At&t paid was that if Directv did not secure the NFL Sunday TV rights, then Directv would have to pay At&t back one billlion dollars.
To be totally accurate AT and T has PROPOSED to buy DTV. While odds are that it will eventually get done, at this point there are some legitmate questions especially around the potential for significantly less competition and consumer protection that could still pose a problem to the potential merger. Wouldn't totally "count any chickens" just yet.

jbcarol

hoglady

Quote from: Kevin on July 16, 2014, 03:31:38 pm
Justin Connolly, president of the SEC Network, At this point, I can’t guarantee that Comcast & DirectTV will have the SEC Network. We’re in advanced negotiations

on bo's show

Well - I can guarantee Comcast that if they don't get it I won't be their customer anymore.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: ScottFaldon on July 17, 2014, 05:00:51 pm
http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/directv-expects-to-offer-sec-network-soon-071714

$1.30 a Month??? One would be hard pressed to find a Directv subscriber who can't handle that small of an increase to their bill. Get it done!!

Augustus

Quote from: lefty08 on July 13, 2014, 07:31:35 am
You probably won't have a problem with dish until your 3rd or 4th year and your equipment gets out of date and doesnt work properly. Thats when theybwill refuse to replace it without a huge charge while offering your same service to a "new" customer for a third of what u pay. Come to think.of it they all may work the same. Ive had directv for years now and from my experience I assure you its a better company.

I've been with DirecTV for 5 years now, and they make you pay for new equipment.

I called them recently because I have very outdated hardware:  HD DVR in the living room, regular DVR in the master bedroom, and 2 regular boxes in other 2 bedrooms.  My DVR boxes (especially the HD DVR) have become horribly slow over the years - I keep them at least 50% free space at all times.

I wanted whole home DVR (and at least HD in my living room) and new hardware. They said the best they could do is charge me $99 for the Genie (whole home DVR) if I agree for another 2 year commitment.

I actually laughed at the lady on the phone... I told her "A) there is no way in hell I'm staying with DirecTV if y'all don't get the SEC Network... and B) Dish is offering me: whole home DVR w/ HD - free hardware & installation, an iPad, and they have SEC Network AND offer WatchESPN (ESPN3) access online... Why on earth would I sign up for another 2 years with you? Especially if you might not have the most important content to me?"

I also pointed out that I've been paying the $7.99/month "insurance" charge on my DVRs with DirecTV, for 5 years... and that's more than covered the cost to give me new equipment now and possibly keep my business.  She said "Well, that only covers your current equipment, if it fails"

I'm giving DirecTV 2 weeks to get it done.  If not by the 2nd week of August, I'll be calling Dish. And, I HATE DISH.

Augustus

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on July 17, 2014, 05:07:03 pm
To be totally accurate AT and T has PROPOSED to buy DTV. While odds are that it will eventually get done, at this point there are some legitmate questions especially around the potential for significantly less competition and consumer protection that could still pose a problem to the potential merger. Wouldn't totally "count any chickens" just yet.

Yes. Their Boards reached an agreement. ATT/DirecTV still has to get the deal approved by FCC, SEC (Gov't, not the CFB conf :) ), and whoever else.

jbcarol

Clay Travis @ClayTravisBGID  ·  1h

With Comcast now official, @secnetwork will also add @directv soon. Money will be staggering: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/directv-expects-to-offer-sec-network-soon-071714 ...

rhog1

Tweet from Bruce Feldman.

Bruce Feldman @BruceFeldmanCFB  ·  2h

At dinner with other CFB writers we talked abt when DIRECTV deal w SEC Network would get announced... Probably on same day as Pac12 MediaDay

Hopefully he is joking. Imagine the angry Pac 12 fans.