Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Network in 2019... Will You Have It?

Started by rhog1, May 01, 2013, 02:00:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SONofHAM

The SECN is already the 5th largest sports station out there behind ESPN, ESPN2, NFLN, and Fox Sports 1.   Direct will carry it.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

ArmyHogs

I bieleve (see what I did there?) DTV will announce in the next couple days they have agreed to a deal with the SEC Network.

elviscat

Call DTV and ask them if they are going to carry the SEC network and if they say well maybe or it's in the workings. Then tell them that you are going to switch to Disc Network if they don't and give them a deadline. Then the ball is in there court and then follow through.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: elviscat on July 24, 2014, 06:35:26 pm
Call DTV and ask them if they are going to carry the SEC network and if they say well maybe or it's in the workings. Then tell them that you are going to switch to Disc Network if they don't and give them a deadline. Then the ball is in there court and then follow through.

ORRR.....wait for it.....

Wait until DirecTV and the SEC Network announce they've reached a deal....it won't be long.

HoopS

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 24, 2014, 08:51:35 pm

Wait until DirecTV and the SEC Network announce they've reached a deal....it won't be long.
you can do that.  But most are wanting to give then a deadline or what have you in order to get a little better deal for themselves.  Basically, take advantage of the situation while the situation exists.

I will leave I they don't get it in time though.   

McKdaddy

ORRR…..wait for it…..

Wait until DirecTV and the SEC Network announce they've reached a deal….it won't be long.

Or call DTV and get a discount from them.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 25, 2014, 08:59:14 am
Or call DTV and get a discount from them.

I've got news for you.....you can do that anytime if you do it effectively.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 25, 2014, 11:14:42 am

I've got news for you.....you can do that anytime if you do it effectively.

Not news.  My initial discounts from getting DTV expired last week.  So I called yesterday to discuss the SECN, or lack thereof thus far, and was able to renew some of those expired discounts, despite being under contract for another 12 months.  No reason to wait until DTV and SECN announce a deal when DTV is willing to make concessions now.

Mick Hogger

Are you people that aren't getting offered free Sunday Ticket already subscribing to it? I've had it for over 5 years and always get a discount when I call in.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

McKdaddy

Quote from: HoopS on July 25, 2014, 08:00:06 am
you can do that.  But most are wanting to give them a deadline or what have you in order to get a little better deal for themselves.  Basically, take advantage of the situation while the situation exists.

This. Why not do this? Yes, DTV will have the SECN, probably real soon, but why not get a discount if DTV will do so?

Hoggiedawg

I called and talked to CS and had them pass me to retention.  Once I got to retention I explained I was a long time subscriber with no contract and a long term Sunday Ticket watcher and I wanted a discount for ST since they couldn't tell me whether or not they would have the SECN.  Bottom line is I was reasonable and calm and they gave me ST for free and an additional $35 per month off my bill for 6 months.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  Jul 24

SEC spokesman tells me if you're in SEC's 9-state footprint and your provider has SEC Network, you won't need any premium package to watch.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 25, 2014, 12:20:18 pm
Not news.  My initial discounts from getting DTV expired last week.  So I called yesterday to discuss the SECN, or lack thereof thus far, and was able to renew some of those expired discounts, despite being under contract for another 12 months.  No reason to wait until DTV and SECN announce a deal when DTV is willing to make concessions now.

You're reinforcing my point...

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 25, 2014, 08:50:03 pm

You're reinforcing my point...

No, b/c I couldn't have done it sooner.

McKdaddy

Why wait? That's my disagreement w/ you here. Of course people can effectively negotiate a discount at any time. But they haven't been until now, seemingly, as evidenced by the small sample size of the participants in this thread. The lack of the SECN has DTV people motivated to call to negotiate discounts now, not before.

So back to your post above....people don't have to wait, when this whole deal about DTV getting or not getting the SECN can be resolved right now. Either the DTV folks can call DTV for discounts w/ the lack of the SECN being the motivating factor or they can switch. Why should they simply wait if they are motivated now to switch and get deep discounts from Dish for doing so? Either DTV gives them discounts or Dish does.

I realize DTV will likely get the SECN and soon, but for how long should the people in this thread take your advice and wait? I'm not switching, but if I were to guarantee myself having the games on the 28th (the wife is an Ag) and on the 30th, I'd need to begin the switching process really soon, given delays that might occur in scheduling my installation and our being on vacation for 10 days in the mid-to-late August. So why wait if the lack of the SECN on DTV has these people motivated now?

Either they call DTV for discounts, which they hadn't done much of prior to now based on reading through this thread, or they switch. No reason to wait.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 25, 2014, 08:56:26 pm
No, b/c I couldn't have done it sooner.

Yes you could have....that's MY point

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: McKdaddy on July 25, 2014, 09:13:48 pm
Why wait? That's my disagreement w/ you here. Of course people can effectively negotiate a discount at any time. But they haven't been until now, seemingly, as evidenced by the small sample size of the participants in this thread. The lack of the SECN has DTV people motivated to call to negotiate discounts now, not before.

So back to your post above....people don't have to wait, when this whole deal about DTV getting or not getting the SECN can be resolved right now. Either the DTV folks can call DTV for discounts w/ the lack of the SECN being the motivating factor or they can switch. Why should they simply wait if they are motivated now to switch and get deep discounts from Dish for doing so? Either DTV gives them discounts or Dish does.

I realize DTV will likely get the SECN and soon, but for how long should the people in this thread take your advice and wait? I'm not switching, but if I were to guarantee myself having the games on the 28th (the wife is an Ag) and on the 30th, I'd need to begin the switching process really soon, given delays that might occur in scheduling my installation and our being on vacation for 10 days in the mid-to-late August. So why wait if the lack of the SECN on DTV has these people motivated now?

Either they call DTV for discounts, which they hadn't done much of prior to now based on reading through this thread, or they switch. No reason to wait.

I'm with ya.  I'm not suggesting people not use this as leverage.  I'm simply saying that getting a better deal can be accomplished independently of the SEC-N negotiations.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 26, 2014, 08:50:53 am

Yes you could have....

I'm not sure I could have, RedHogs. It is always possible. I was receiving about 72% off what would be the regular bill when I joined DTV this time last year and would receive that for 1 year. I asked a client of mine who manages a retention center in Austin about trying to get further discounts because the wife decided to stay home w/ the kids. He said I could always try, but that they are told not to give further discounts until my original deep discounts fell off and that he couldn't help me out. Maybe he didn't try hard enough. I don't know.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on July 26, 2014, 08:55:19 am

I'm with ya.  I'm not suggesting people not use this as leverage.  I'm simply saying that getting a better deal can be accomplished independently of the SEC-N negotiations.

Absolutely, +1

rhog1

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_26203789/directv-still-saying-no-pac-12-network

Seen this. Looks like for a 3rd year in a row Directv will not carry the Pac12 network. The Pac 12 really messed up not partnering with a major provider for their network.

JaxFlaRazorback

Spoke with a Comcast Customer Service representative after the wife ironed out a problem with our monthly bill yesterday.  I asked her "What do you know about the SEC Network?"  Her reply was..."It'll be part of your regular package and will not cost you any extra."  My regular package is the HD Preferred XF Bundle.

So I guess that's good for any other Comcast customer with the same package.  Has anyone else heard the same thing?  Sorry, if this may have been previously posted, but I couldn't get the search function to work.

Augustus

I just called DirecTV, and asked about SEC Network (and to look for any incentives)

I started by asking what the status on SEC Network... (I knew the answer, but let her tell me).  I then said "Well, here's the thing, I've had Dish Reps come to my door... with their offers, and while I'd like to stay with you guys, I'm not sure I can pass their offer up"

To note: I'm a 5 year Direct customer, out of contract, and pay ~$140 for programming (one of the highest tiers - but I called 3 months ago wanting to shut off the movie channels and got everything but HBO for free).

I didn't want Sunday Ticket, but I do want whole home DVR - I'm on 5 yr old equipment - currently I have an HD DVR in the LR, and a Std Def DVR in the Master. plus, 2 regular boxes in 2 other bedrooms.

So, I slanted my "concerns" about my aged hardware + the question about SEC Network... on "Well, Dish is offering all of this, and I'm just wondering about switching"

She didn't even pass me on to the Retention Dept, she looked up available options for hardware upgrades.  She offered the Genie - whole home DVR + HD hardware for free. In my case, it would be 2 new devices that "normally cost $400".

I asked if it that meant another 2 year contract... "yes, it would"  And I told her "the SEC Network is a deal-breaker, and I'm not committing to Direct for new hardware, if they end up not having SEC Network. Plus, with Dish I would get whole home DVR anyways" (again, my concern is hardware, not discounts on programming)

So... she said "Hang tight. Don't go to Dish. I can't give you a definitive answer on SEC Network tonight, but what I can do is... I'll flag your account for the free Genie upgrades, and when the time comes, you can call in and get your free hardware upgrades." ...which I took to mean, Direct will get SEC Network.

Now, your mileage may vary... instead of new hardware, you may want the Sunday Ticket, or discounts on other programming... but I would urge you to call them this week.

Just explain it like: Dish (or Comcast, whoever) is making you deals that are too hard pass up, and "you like being with DirecTV, but they've got some good deals, plus SEC Network + ESPN3.com"

I wasn't threatening, just tried to explain my position as "I'm just not sure what to do at this point" ...kind of thing.

I was happy with the results. Now, if DirecTV gets SEC Network, and they renig on my hardware offer? I'll still probably be switching. maybe.

I did make sure to tell her a few times, that:  "Ya know, Dish had Sales Reps knocking on doors in my neighborhood these past few weeks, trying to sign people up" (completely false, but she doesn't know that)

Paul

I got $65 off for 2 mo, $25 off for next 2 mo & Redzone this yr for free without a contract.

hogfan58

I'm probably the only person here who doesn't give a flip about the Sunday Ticket and getting that for free or for a discount....but I would be interested if they would do that for the Center Ice (hockey) package. I haven't seen anyone mention that....think they would?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

WardamnHOGGLE

Quote from: hogfan58 on July 29, 2014, 06:01:27 am
I'm probably the only person here who doesn't give a flip about the Sunday Ticket and getting that for free or for a discount....but I would be interested if they would do that for the Center Ice (hockey) package. I haven't seen anyone mention that....think they would?

Yes they would.  They will look to see if you have had past freebies.  Then they will look to see if you are locked into a contract.  That said, if you push the issue, they don't want to lose you.  They will subsidize the packages by charging you for them, then they will discount that amount over a year or two years in monthly discounts on your bill.  Net zero cost to you.  Give it a try.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Augustus on July 28, 2014, 10:10:48 pmShe offered the Genie - whole home DVR + HD hardware for free. In my case, it would be 2 new devices that "normally cost $400".

Take it if it's thrown in a deal.  It's a nice feature. 

razorbackfanatic

I called and threatened to cancel and I got $10 off my bill for 12 months, NFL Sunday Ticket free for 1 year and one month free of the sports package that I already pay for.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1h

Charter Communications finalizing deal to carry SEC Network http://ow.ly/zKGzC

Ray Zor

I'm getting very nervous about DirecTV not coming through on this. Somebody please ease my mind. Don't want to switch but I will.
GO HOGS

Augustus

Quote from: Ray Zor on July 30, 2014, 12:55:16 pm
I'm getting very nervous about DirecTV not coming through on this. Somebody please ease my mind. Don't want to switch but I will.

From my post above, when I called Direct the other night:
So... she said "Hang tight. Don't go to Dish. I can't give you a definitive answer on SEC Network tonight, but what I can do is... I'll flag your account for the free Genie upgrades, and when the time comes, you can call in and get your free hardware upgrades." ...which I took to mean, Direct will get SEC Network.

She said it without saying it.  It's getting done.

Now, as far as ESPN3.com?  I'm not sure if that will be included

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Augustus on July 30, 2014, 01:00:33 pm
From my post above, when I called Direct the other night:

She said it without saying it.  It's getting done.

Now, as far as ESPN3.com?  I'm not sure if that will be included

I wonder how many corporate emails from higher ups have gone out to CS reps that work for Direct about handling SEC Network inquiries?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ray Zor on July 30, 2014, 12:55:16 pm

I switched to Uverse but that was already planned. I like it much more than Direct. If they have Uverse in your area I recommend it. Kind of ironic that AT&T owner of Uverse buying Direct though. Uverse carries the Pac12 network but Direct doesn't. Strange........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BorderPatrol

Folks are silly if they think DirectTV will not sign on......

bp

Ray Zor

I want to think it will happen but CS reps don't give me much confidence. I've spoken with several that had very little knowledge of their own products. However, I do believe DirecTv administration is coaching CS reps with their responses on this one. That could be good or bad in my opinion.
GO HOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 30, 2014, 01:11:00 pm
Folks are silly if they think DirectTV will not sign on......

bp

Ask the Pac 12 people how that is working out for them ..........................

Ray Zor

I have heard from their reps they may get it before Aug  28th but not in time for the 15th opening broadcast. That's lousy. Somebody help me understand what DirecTv is actually pushing Disney for that would change at the last minute?  Is this simply to see who flinches?  What stands to be gained?
GO HOGS

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 30, 2014, 01:13:48 pm
Ask the Pac 12 people how that is working out for them ..........................

The Pac 12 doesn't have ESPN backing them. They tried to go it alone, and it has NOT worked out well for them.

bp

PygmalionEffect

I tried to warn everyone, but some wouldn't listen.

Direct TV constantly plays this game with their content providers and you as their customer are just considered "collateral damage".

Content providers will use programming cancellations as their bargaining tool with Direct TV, but that don't work too well when Direct TV doesn't care about it's customers.  They know you are loyal to a fault, you're already paying more for the privilege of being associated with them.

There's still time to switch, you've got several options.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 30, 2014, 01:13:48 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2037841-pac-12-network-running-out-of-time-to-get-on-directv#articles/2037841-pac-12-network-running-out-of-time-to-get-on-directv

From the article:

QuoteThe Pac-12, on the other hand, has no such clout. By deciding not to take on a partner, the conference left its network with no leverage whatsoever. And since the Pac-12 fanbase is not as rabid as SEC fans and the conference footprint contains six NFL franchises, massive fan defection from DirecTV just hasn't materialized. DirecTV remains the exclusive provider of the NFL Sunday Ticket through 2014.

Being shut out of DirecTV for two years has hurt the Pac-12's recruiting and branding, not just in football but also other sports, particularly men's basketball. This past March, a majority of the Pac-12's conference tournament games were available only to a fraction of the national audience, when every other major conference had every game on TV.

Pac 12 would have been much better off trying to partner with ESPN, FOX, NBC or CBS....

bp

BorderPatrol

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 30, 2014, 01:28:35 pm

Direct TV constantly plays this game with their content providers and you as their customer are just considered "collateral damage".

Content providers will use programming cancellations as their bargaining tool with Direct TV, but that don't work too well when Direct TV doesn't care about it's customers.  They know you are loyal to a fault, you're already paying more for the privilege of being associated with them.

You can say what you want about DirectTV. I have never had an issue with them. Not once.

Dish, on the other hand, is a different story. And speaking of losing content, Dish is much worse.

bp

GuvHog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 30, 2014, 01:33:02 pm
You can say what you want about DirectTV. I have never had an issue with them. Not once.

Dish, on the other hand, is a different story. And speaking of losing content, Dish is much worse.

bp

Well said. I won't be switching because I refuse to sacrifice quality for 1 channel (which I believe we'll get anyway).
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ray Zor

I will give all my DirecTv quality away in a flash for the SEC Network.  Shear principal of it would force me to do so. Probably the largest provider not carrying it is ridiculous. All of the providers are making tremendous profits by over charging and dictating programming. It's a question of which evil you prefer to be screwed by.
GO HOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BorderPatrol on July 30, 2014, 01:31:25 pm
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2037841-pac-12-network-running-out-of-time-to-get-on-directv#articles/2037841-pac-12-network-running-out-of-time-to-get-on-directv

From the article:

Pac 12 would have been much better off trying to partner with ESPN, FOX, NBC or CBS....

bp

True BUT the fact remains the Pac 12 isn't on Direct and I bet some switched but not as many as will from the SEC fan bases if Direct doesn't carry it.

hogsanity

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on July 30, 2014, 01:28:35 pm

Cracks me up.  You claim direct does not care about its customers, but if they caved to every programmers, and your bill went up, then you would claim they didn't care about their customers because they raised the bill. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhog1

http://directvpromise.com/no-fan-should-be-sidelined/
Directv has launched a promise page. Really doesn't sound like they are going to carry the SEC network, at least not at launch and are trying to get people to stick with them.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhog1 on July 30, 2014, 02:15:19 pm
http://directvpromise.com/no-fan-should-be-sidelined/
Directv has launched a promise page. Really doesn't sound like they are going to carry the SEC network, at least not at launch and are trying to get people to stick with them.

Why does anyone need it before the 1st games anyway?  From whats been released, most of the 1st 2 weeks will be reruns of old games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ray Zor on July 30, 2014, 01:58:15 pm
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/sec-network-revenue-is-impressive-073014

Makes me feel a little better

The last part where it states ALL the SEC teams will make more money off the SEC network than tejas does off the longhorn network made me smile.