Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just wondering if...

Started by Iwastherein1969, April 17, 2013, 08:47:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

anyone in this forum has seen or knows someone they trust who claims they have seen a black panther in the state.  I have seen a panther once, heard one scream another time. I'll chronicle my sighting. The year was 1984 and a good friend of mine put me on one of his deer stands in Columbia, County near the small town of Atlanta. I had been sitting on the stand from oh, about 3pm to around 5:30 without hearing nor seeing a single thing, not even a squirrel. It was a good hike back to the truck and I was tired of sitting there without any action so I stood up off of my fold up seat and was readying myself to go down the steps of the stand. Well when I stood up I caught something out of the corner of my eye walking down the path to my right away from me. It was black, had along tail, stood about 4 feet tall and was around 5 to 6 feet in length. I raised up to shoot him with my 30-06 but thought about the possible consequences of killing something illegally. So I just watched the panther walk down the path then disappear into the tall weeds.  I'll take a polygraph test on this. Just wondering if anyone else has seen a black panther in Arkansas.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Verge

1. No such animal exists. Period.

2. 4ft tall? Really bro? That's Bigger than a male lion.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Verge on April 17, 2013, 09:10:44 pm

it was going on 30 years ago...I cannot be exact on the measurements, but I know what I saw...you can read all the books that say things to the contrary of what I saw, but I know what I know. I saw a black panther in the deep woods of SW Arkansas. I'm not going to argue measurements....but I can tell you this, it wasn't a house cat with a tail that long..I put my scope on it, and I know what I saw

RazorbackRon

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 17, 2013, 09:24:12 pm
it was going on 30 years ago...I cannot be exact on the measurements, but I know what I saw...you can read all the books that say things to the contrary of what I saw, but I know what I know. I saw a black panther in the deep woods of SW Arkansas. I'm not going to argue measurements....but I can tell you this, it wasn't a house cat with a tail that long..I put my scope on it, and I know what I saw

yea but with the 4ft tall quote, you might just of well as said you saw a bigfoot.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Verge

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 17, 2013, 09:24:12 pm

So you are an expert on house cat tail proportions?

Unfortunately our country isn't as big as people think. No matter how remote I travel, there is always trash laying around. People have covered every inch of our country, thousands of times over.

Number of live melanistic mountain lions captured - 0
Killed - 0
Found dead - 0
Photographed - 0
Videotaped - 0

Believe what you will, but scientifically they don't exist.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Verge on April 17, 2013, 09:32:20 pm

Unfortunately our country isn't as big as people think. No matter how remote I travel, there is always trash laying around. People have covered every inch of our country, thousands of times over.

Killed - 0
Found dead - 0
Photographed - 0
Videotaped - 0

i'm not an expert on anything except indentifying smart asses who think they know it all....obviously if you choose to not believe based on an ABOUT estimate, go right ahead...if I wanted to lie about this thing, I would have looked up the exact proportions of a panther and proceeded from there....I didn't do that because I wanted to attempt to recall the scene exactly as I saw it 28 years ago...I'd give anything now if I had went ahead and slayed the thing, then make the same post and when you posted your stats on melanistic pumas, well, I would have had the bastard stuffed....might have cost me a couple of nights in jail, but it would have been well worth it.....I don't post in this forum, why would I suddenly come in here and just tell some big yarn ?  An attempt to impress posters whom I never have communication with nor will again ? Not hardly.

Verge

Hopefully if you had it stuffed you wouldnt be hiding it in your living room, as it would the the only one in existence.

Probably quite valuable.

You saw whatever it is you saw, I don't know because I wasn't there. What I do know, is There is no documented proof of such a creature. Which is pretty significant as we have proof of giant squids at live thousands of feet under the water in an environment where we cannot go, and cannot see. Black panthers however, literally live in our back yard.

DeltaBoy

I have heard about them for years in the Delta but I have never seen one at all alive. I have seen 2 that were standard MT Lions that had been hit by trucks and in both cases the Ark Game and Fish boys dismissed them as being illegal pets someone let loose.  My Late Grandfather swore they were in the old Warrior Bottoms back before 1930.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

rickm1976

Quote from: Verge on April 17, 2013, 09:10:44 pm

Technically, you are correct.  There is no such thing as a melanistic mountain lion, but there is such a thing as a melanistic jaguar, which is what people are seeing.  They have migrated up from south Texas and Mexico, and they are for real.  My brother saw one from about 20 yards away in NW Arkansas a few years back.  It was chasing down some sheep.

FORTVEGAS

I have heard them run the river down on some bottom land I camp in OK, never seen one but a buddy of mine has once when he was 'yote hunting

DoggtownHog

It would be a Jaguar if it's black. And it is very possible that they've migrated this far north. Melanistic Jaguars are hard to find in places where they are known to exist.
But it's not technically a "Mt.Lion/puma/cougar/catamount." But they are both very large cats.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

OldCoot

It's possible and I have no doubt you would pass the polygraph because you think you saw what you think you saw.

cbhawg03

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 17, 2013, 08:47:08 pm
anyone in this forum has seen or knows someone they trust who claims they have seen a black panther in the state.  I have seen a panther once, heard one scream another time. I'll chronicle my sighting. The year was 1984 and a good friend of mine put me on one of his deer stands in Columbia, County near the small town of Atlanta. I had been sitting on the stand from oh, about 3pm to around 5:30 without hearing nor seeing a single thing, not even a squirrel. It was a good hike back to the truck and I was tired of sitting there without any action so I stood up off of my fold up seat and was readying myself to go down the steps of the stand. Well when I stood up I caught something out of the corner of my eye walking down the path to my right away from me. It was black, had along tail, stood about 4 feet tall and was around 5 to 6 feet in length. I raised up to shoot him with my 30-06 but thought about the possible consequences of killing something illegally. So I just watched the panther walk down the path then disappear into the tall weeds.  I'll take a polygraph test on this. Just wondering if anyone else has seen a black panther in Arkansas.

Know someone that has seen one once and heard one scream (probably the same one, but different times and a couple of years apart). Sebastian County.

kodiakisland

Why is it everyone in AR has a panther/mnt lion/black panther story?  I've lived and spent a lot of time in areas that have a high population of mnt lions, and they are rarely ever seen or heard there.  Here in AR they prance around in the daylight and scream their heads off.

The sad thing is there is more proof bigfoot exists than this is proof that black panthers exist.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

pigture perfect

I saw one on Crow Mountain in 1982. regular tan colored. Didn't scream, but ran away as we startled one another.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

tophawg19

Kodiak i 've seen and heard one as well . in Ouachita county . he was seen by several different groups of people . if you ever hear that scream you will never forget it. i think he was trying to chase us off of a deer we were dragging . we found tracks the next day where he trailed us for a good ways . we saw him crossing a field where a farmer had been dumping chickens . and again crossing the road at night in the same area . he was never seen or heard again as far as i know after the tornado hit that area . i live there again now and in 5 years haven't seen or heard anything but i don't have access to where i saw him and the chicken houses were never rebuilt .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

OldCoot

The jaguars range is up to Texas.  It's entirely feasible and probable that one has come up a little further.  Entirely feasible. I don't understand why some are quick to make fun of possible encounters.  If it were a unicorn or a bigfoot I could see the humor but this is an actual animal whose range is very close to us. Those who totally discount the possibility are the ignorant ones imho.  They are the ones who insisted the world was flat in the beginning.  They weren't the explorers or inquisitive, they are the ones who refuse to want to learn.

It appears the term "panther" is not limited to the mountain lion but any cat who may be black.

"A panther is a term applied to several species of big cat when they occur as solid black. Leopards, bobcats and jaguars for instance are usually spotted – but melanism (an increased amount of dark pigment caused by melanin) can cause any of these species to be all black."

"If the many sightings of black panthers in recent years are not of melanistic cougars, what else could they be? Many people don't know that the American West, especially the Southwest, was the natural home of jaguars. They were almost completely hunted out by the early 1900s, and the last known pair were shot in Arizona by 1965. It was 2001 before photographic evidence proved that jaguars had returned to the United States."

"In many instances, witnesses to the black cats may be misjudging their size. A jaguarundi is a cat closely related to the cougar but much smaller. It can occur in several colors including solid dark gray or chocolate brown. The cat is known to live in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and Florida. Jaguarundis have also been reported in several states bordering these ones. From a distance, people would notice the jaguarundi's build is unlike that of a house cat (see photo at right), and it has a very long, thick tail like a cougar's. It could easily resemble a black panther. Plus, the jaguarundi likes the daylight hours, making it easier to be spotted by humans."

http://waypastnormal.blogspot.com/2010/06/north-american-black-panther-myth-or.html?zx=a7fc623b87c547e5

hogcoots

Dear Mother of all that is Holy....not again.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 17, 2013, 09:54:42 pm
i'm not an expert on anything except indentifying smart asses who think they know it all....obviously if you choose to not believe based on an ABOUT estimate, go right ahead...if I wanted to lie about this thing, I would have looked up the exact proportions of a panther and proceeded from there....I didn't do that because I wanted to attempt to recall the scene exactly as I saw it 28 years ago...I'd give anything now if I had went ahead and slayed the thing, then make the same post and when you posted your stats on melanistic pumas, well, I would have had the bastard stuffed....might have cost me a couple of nights in jail, but it would have been well worth it.....I don't post in this forum, why would I suddenly come in here and just tell some big yarn ?  An attempt to impress posters whom I never have communication with nor will again ? Not hardly.

I don't believe you saw a black panther, mountain lion, etc...  but I believe you believe you did.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

pigture perfect

Hey Tophog, I saw many panthers around Camden. We beat them 5 out of 6 when I played them. Now they are extinct. Beat the ones in Ashdown and Magnolia alot too.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

oldman1015

i saw one on forrest gump.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Verge

Quote from: kodiakisland on April 22, 2013, 09:40:24 pm
Why is it everyone in AR has a panther/mnt lion/black panther story?  I've lived and spent a lot of time in areas that have a high population of mnt lions, and they are rarely ever seen or heard there.  Here in AR they prance around in the daylight and scream their heads off.

The sad thing is there is more proof bigfoot exists than this is proof that black panthers exist.

Rednecks.

These are the same people that think cotton mouths will chase them as prey and that daddy long legs(the kind in Arkansas) are the most poisonous spider in the world.(they aren't even spiders)

OldCoot

Quote from: Verge on April 26, 2013, 09:40:13 am
Rednecks.

These are the same people that think cotton mouths will chase them as prey and that daddy long legs(the kind in Arkansas) are the most poisonous spider in the world.(they aren't even spiders)

[attachment deleted by admin]

kodiakisland

Quote from: hogcoots on April 23, 2013, 09:55:16 am
Dear Mother of all that is Holy....not again.

If my mother was on the internet, should could tell her Arkansas mnt lion story.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

tophawg19

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 24, 2013, 10:01:57 pm
Hey Tophog, I saw many panthers around Camden. We beat them 5 out of 6 when I played them. Now they are extinct. Beat the ones in Ashdown and Magnolia alot too.
those were some good days . especially the old camden / camden fairview battles

rickm1976

Quote from: Verge on April 17, 2013, 09:32:20 pm

Killed - 0
Found dead - 0
Photographed - 0
Videotaped - 0

Melanistic Jaguar - not Mountain Lion.  Some zoologists have speculated that a small population of Jaguars could have migrated up here from south Texas and Mexico.

DOGALUM

I've seen a big black cat that was not a house cat.   And I saw it in Madison County Arkansas.    Whether it was a cat that someone had that escaped or a cat that was just "passing through", I don't know. 

This cat was not as big as the Mountain Lions that you usually think of.  But it was bigger than a bobcat and had a long tail.   I posted a picture of it's paw print in a thread I started last fall. 

I am not a redneck or a hillbilly.  I know what I saw and am more than comfortable talking about it. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Verge

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 15, 2013, 08:59:42 am
I've seen a big black cat that was not a house cat.   And I saw it in Madison County Arkansas.    Whether it was a cat that someone had that escaped or a cat that was just "passing through", I don't know. 

This cat was not as big as the Mountain Lions that you usually think of.  But it was bigger than a bobcat and had a long tail.   I posted a picture of it's paw print in a thread I started last fall. 

I am not a redneck or a hillbilly.  I know what I saw and am more than comfortable talking about it. 

Did it look like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Verge

Quote from: rickm1976 on July 15, 2013, 08:42:41 am
Melanistic Jaguar - not Mountain Lion.  Some zoologists have speculated that a small population of Jaguars could have migrated up here from south Texas and Mexico.

# jaguars killed in arkansas 0
photographed 0
dna identified 0
trapped 0
video 0

There is currently 1 jaguar living in the USA I believe. They know where it is and watch it constantly. You people need to stop believing in ghost stories and urban legends from hillbillies that didn't graduate elementary school.

tophawg19

even the game and fish have admitted there are mtn. lions in arkansas .

Verge

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 15, 2013, 08:32:07 pm
even the game and fish have admitted there are mtn. lions in arkansas .

This is about a black one, that nobody has ever seen in history.

DoggtownHog

DOGALUM

Quote from: Verge on July 15, 2013, 06:40:51 pm

Did it look like this:

It looked darker than that.   It was standing broadside, head facing left, in the road in front of me.   I....being not in the shape I used to be.....had just pulled a pretty steep hill and popped out on a dirt road.  I was breathing fairly hard and the weapon I was carrying has a 25" heavy barrel on it......and a bipod.   I threw it up to look at then shoot the big black cat.  But I was far from steady.   When I dropped the bipod and started to hit the dirt to shoot it...it took off.   My only evidence is a picture I posted on here of its paw print.   

It's awful easy to play the part of the prick....which you do well.....and call people hillbillies, rednecks, simpletons, liars.....whatever.  But two things keep me from feeling bad about it.  1.   You are a bag anyway....so who gives a damn what you think.   2.  I know.....beyond any doubt....what I saw.   Easy money.   

It may indeed have just been passing through.  If it resides where I saw it.....I will see it again.   

Verge

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 16, 2013, 09:24:03 am
It looked darker than that.   It was standing broadside, head facing left, in the road in front of me.   I....being not in the shape I used to be.....had just pulled a pretty steep hill and popped out on a dirt road.  I was breathing fairly hard and the weapon I was carrying has a 25" heavy barrel on it......and a bipod.   I threw it up to look at then shoot the big black cat.  But I was far from steady.   When I dropped the bipod and started to hit the dirt to shoot it...it took off.   My only evidence is a picture I posted on here of its paw print.   

It's awful easy to play the part of the prick....which you do well.....and call people hillbillies, rednecks, simpletons, liars.....whatever.  But two things keep me from feeling bad about it.  1.   You are a bag anyway....so who gives a damn what you think.   2.  I know.....beyond any doubt....what I saw.   Easy money.   

It may indeed have just been passing through.  If it resides where I saw it.....I will see it again.   

Truth hurts I guess.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Verge on July 16, 2013, 09:30:37 am
Truth hurts I guess.
oh....I'm sure you've been called a prick before.   No need to pout about it.

OldCoot

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 16, 2013, 09:24:03 am

THIS!!

DoggtownHog

If it's a large(100-150#) cat, and it's black, it's not a mtn.lion. That's not to say that there aren't large black cats roaming the woods: It's just that they aren't mtn lions.
I'd be more concerned about a pack of wild pitbulls running around.

DOGALUM

Quote from: DoggtownHog on July 16, 2013, 11:16:45 am
If it's a large(100-150#) cat, and it's black, it's not a mtn.lion. That's not to say that there aren't large black cats roaming the woods: It's just that they aren't mtn lions.
I'd be more concerned about a pack of wild pitbulls running around.
I don't think that it was that big.  My best guess half a year later is that it was more in the 75 lb range.    That is just guess.

DoggtownHog

Juvenile or a jaguarundi. It's definitely a possibility. It's unlikely but not impossible at all. I'm open to seeing any proof either way. But that may be harder than actually seeing it.

tophawg19

funny thing is the same was said about gorillas not so long ago .

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Get ready for a change in philosophy by the AG&F Commission regarding the acknowledgement of the presence of mountain lions.  In the near future, they will openly investigate reported sightings and publicly report findings and even prepare to manage a "resident" population if/when the evidence verifies there is one.

This new direction by the commission will be patterned after Missouri's efforts to follow up on all credible reports.  Missouri has documented several Mt. Lions (Pumas) that DNA analysis has shown are related to a population in South Dakota. The samples came from juvenile males who were roaming far and wide which is an indication that a range expansion may be taking place.

I believe they (Mt. Lions, Pumas, Cougars) are here and all the ingredients for a breeding population is in place such as the large deer population which would be a primary prey species for the big cats.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Verge

Quote from: DOGALUM on July 16, 2013, 09:31:28 am
oh....I'm sure you've been called a prick before.   No need to pout about it.

Sucks being right all the time.

Verge

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 16, 2013, 07:38:03 pm
funny thing is the same was said about gorillas not so long ago .

110 years and before before modern travel and communication?

Hopefully that was just an unfunny joke and not a serious attempt to explain magical kitties.

DOGALUM

Pudgepork

Big cats are here, have been for years.   Game and Fish admitted they couldn't admit it because they'd have to go to the expense of setting up seasons and regulations.  Hendricks of the Arkansas Democrat interviewed a retired Fish and Game official from
Missou a few years back and he said the same thing.  They exist in the state of Missou and you'd never get a Game and Fish official to admit it(unless retired, lol).

I have a buddy who was(before health issues the last year or so) an avid hunter.  He said
he went out to feed his dogs early one morning and saw a very large cat at the far end of
a plowed field behind his house.  He watched it cross the field slowly.  he went in to wake his son but son was watching it from the kitchen window.  Not long after, my ex-sis in law and her boyfriend were passing the same field and one crossed the road very close to their vehicle, in the daylight. 

Too many spottings in our area of St Francis County throughout the years for all to be bogus.   I haven't seen one,  but I did hear one not far from a couple of us on a very foggy night.  We decided it was time to head home.   We were walking and had about a mile to travel to get home.   Didn't hear it again, but then we were moving pretty fast

OldCoot

In the 70/80's it was not uncommon to hear panther screams in the Poyen/Leola/Big Creek area.  Don't know about now.  All the old timers knew they were there.

mthawg87

I've never heard any stories of panthers in AR at least not the area of our land (Centralish AR).  While camping or hunting I have heard sounds like a baby crying and I have been told mountain lion stories from older guys around town.  That's about it.

bigchad

I have a friend who woks for game and fish. He said he has to investigate the sightings now.

devildoghawg

I have never seen a black one, I have a crazy uncle that swears that he shot at one at our land near white oak mountain in Hector.  I did however, have a weird experience with a mountain lion about 4 years ago.  I was digging in some downhill mountain bike trails up on Mt. Nebo for the Arkansas Tech University Cycling Club.  Me and another one of our friends were making our way down the hill when we crossed over onto pavement to ride back to our cars.  We were probably cruising 30-40 mph when a park ranger came up hauling a** behind us blowing his horn.  He rolled up and told us to throw our bikes into the back of the truck and get in now.  He told us that a huge mountain lion was running down the road behind us.  Kind of scary, I couldn't imagine being hit by a 200lbs cat while doing 20+ MPH through the woods, much less 30-40 on pavement.  I rode the trails many more times after that, but always watched my six.
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.