Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Greatest Decision the Cardinals EVER MADE...

Started by Root66, April 17, 2013, 06:35:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Boar War

Quote from: clutch on May 19, 2013, 10:24:56 pm
I'm a die hard Cards fan, and I don't understand the anger. Sure it sucks he left for more money, but that's how the business is today. It happens.

I for one am kind of happy that he left. I under no circumstance want the organization to sign him to a 10 year 250-300 mil contract. I enjoyed everything he did as a Cardinal, but did not want to see the organization struggle down the road just so that we could see him retire as a Card. Our future is much brighter without him.

That's where I am.  I didn't want to see him go but I definitely didn't want to see us not only overpay but be stuck in an extremely long term contract.  But once he left he was gone. 

I know it's tempting but you can't fall into thinking today's superstars are the regional players or hometown heroes from the 50's and 60's.  No matter what they say most of these guys don't really care about St Louis (or wherever they play).  And who can blame them for not being crazy about a single franchise.  This is a job to them and most of them end up playing for 3 or 4 before they're done.  You can't be a die hard Dodgers fan because you might end up being traded to (or cut and picked up by) the Giants. 

ImHogginIt

Quote from: The Boar War on May 20, 2013, 04:54:04 pm
That's where I am.  I didn't want to see him go but I definitely didn't want to see us not only overpay but be stuck in an extremely long term contract.  But once he left he was gone. 

I know it's tempting but you can't fall into thinking today's superstars are the regional players or hometown heroes from the 50's and 60's.  No matter what they say most of these guys don't really care about St Louis (or wherever they play).  And who can blame them for not being crazy about a single franchise.  This is a job to them and most of them end up playing for 3 or 4 before they're done.  You can't be a die hard Dodgers fan because you might end up being traded to (or cut and picked up by) the Giants.

If the National League had the DH ( glad they don't) then I would have been OK with giving him the long contract. As it is I'm OK with him leaving and hold no ill will towards him. The man simply gave me too many good memories for a lot of years to remain mad.

Root66

Quote from: Baseball Hog on May 20, 2013, 10:08:21 am
My favorite player growing up was Andruw Jones.  I was 8 years old during the 1996 World Series when he busted on the scene as 19 year old hitting bombs off the Yankees.  The kid was swagged out, Willie Mays incarnate.  I idolized him.  Right when he hit the peak of his career he sold out and followed the cash.

So yeah, I've been there.

Which means you don't know a hellava lot about basiebol.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 06:29:09 pm
Which means you don't know a hellava lot about basiebol.

How does having a favorite player indicate that he doesn't know a hellava lot about baseball?
Quote from: hogcard1964 on August 02, 2017, 03:02:35 pm
I like to refer to myself as a bigot.  I have every right to be.

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on October 06, 2017, 01:23:52 pm
White Nationalists aren't any more evil than homosexuals.

Root66

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on May 20, 2013, 06:32:43 pm
How does having a favorite player indicate that he doesn't know a hellava lot about baseball?

He is so young he doesn't have a freaking clue. Especially about St. Louis and its relationship with its ballplayers. Especially one that stood before the microphone time and again telling us it wasn't about the money. He (Pujols) was a freaking LIAR. It WAS ABOUT THE MONEY. I don't particularly care for GD LIARS. May that overrated "philanthropic citizen" (of the Dominican Republic) continue with his slump for the balance of his career.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 06:43:27 pm
He is so young he doesn't have a freaking clue. Especially about St. Louis and its relationship with its ballplayers. Especially one that stood before the microphone time and again telling us it wasn't about the money. He (Pujols) was a freaking LIAR. It WAS ABOUT THE MONEY. I don't particularly care for GD LIARS. May that overrated "philanthropic citizen" (of the Dominican Republic) continue with his slump for the balance of his career.

GD?  Really Root?  You've never lied in your life?

Of course it's about the money.  It always is.  And anybody that thought that Pujols wasn't all about the money is shortsighted.  Of course he was.

I don't blame him one second for jumping at the most money he can.  Any one of us would have done the exact same thing when you're talking about that kind of money. 

Root66

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on May 20, 2013, 06:45:34 pm
GD?  Really Root?  You've never lied in your life?

Of course it's about the money.  It always is.  And anybody that thought that Pujols wasn't all about the money is shortsighted.  Of course he was.

I don't blame him one second for jumping at the most money he can.  Any one of us would have done the exact same thing when you're talking about that kind of money.

Yeah, I've lied about simple crap...that didn't affect an entire metropolis of 3,000,000 people. It's been a long, long time since I've lied about anything, however. Pujols was, is and always will be a POS liar.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on May 20, 2013, 06:45:34 pm
Any one of us would have done the exact same thing when you're talking about that kind of money. 

I can't speak for anyone else, but if the Cardinals offered me $210 million dollars and the Angels offered me $252 million, I'd be sweating my azz off in sultry, summertime St. Louis.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm
I can't speak for anyone else, but if the Cardinals offered me $210 million dollars and the Angels offered me $252 million, I'd be sweating my azz off in sultry, summertime St. Louis.

Yeah but you are a diehard Cardinals fan. I would do the same, but I know my opinion is biased.

Baseball Hog

My goodness.  You are just a hateful person.

And make no mistake, there is a difference between experience and intelligence.  I know a 30 year old that knows twice as much about baseball than anyone on this board plus some.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

I hear you, and right now I'd think I would do the same for my team.  But until one of us is put in that situation I'm not going to judge someone for leaving.

clutch

Quote from: ImHogginIt on May 20, 2013, 05:32:03 pm
If the National League had the DH ( glad they don't) then I would have been OK with giving him the long contract. As it is I'm OK with him leaving and hold no ill will towards him. The man simply gave me too many good memories for a lot of years to remain mad.

That would have been the absolute only way I would have been alright with it. Still wouldn't have really liked it. Paying 30 mil to a DH isn't worth it imo. Not to mention, generally, long term gigantic contracts don't work out so well. It seems to almost always come back to bite the team. See AROD, Pujols so far, Hamilton so far, Philly pitching staff, Zito, etc. I don't know what it is, but seems once players get paid, they fall off.

clutch

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 06:48:39 pm
Yeah, I've lied about simple crap...that didn't affect an entire metropolis of 3,000,000 people. It's been a long, long time since I've lied about anything, however. Pujols was, is and always will be a POS liar.

You've more than likely never been in a position to where your decisions would hit on an emotional level, or any level for that matter, with 3,000,000 people.

From the distance, it's easy to say that you would turn down the extra 40 million or so because we are so used to seeing such large numbers with these guys that we don't put into context how much that really his. The difference in the two offers is probably 30 something million dollars more than I will ever make in my whole life.

The Boar War

You allowed yourself to get caught up in "The Show".

Root66

Quote from: Baseball Hog on May 20, 2013, 08:18:15 pm
My goodness.  You are just a hateful person.

And make no mistake, there is a difference between experience and intelligence.  I know a 30 year old that knows twice as much about baseball than anyone on this board plus some.

My goodness you are dumb.

Root66

Root66

Quote from: clutch on May 20, 2013, 08:23:42 pm
You've more than likely never been in a position to where your decisions would hit on an emotional level, or any level for that matter, with 3,000,000 people.

You're correct. But Pujols the phony has. And he lied his ass off.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 09:56:44 pm
My goodness you are dumb.

I'm probably a third your age and not even a Cards fan and could teach you some things about Cardinals history.

Root66

Quote from: Baseball Hog on May 20, 2013, 10:10:19 pm
I'm probably a third your age and not even a Cards fan and could teach you some things about Cardinals history.

Want to try? Pose your question...

The Boar War

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 09:57:34 pm
What is "The Show"?

The entertainment/drama factor of MLB.  Nearly all of these guys are mercenaries.  They don't care about the town they work in (at least not to the point where they're going to sacrifice millions of dollars to stay in one over the other).  Most of them don't live there and a lot of them don't even speak the language (not that I have a problem with that).  So when they tell you they love the community understand that they're probably trying to get endorsements and when they say it's not about the money; It's about the money.  They understand that tomorrow they could be looking for an apartment in Detroit.

Root66

Quote from: The Boar War on May 20, 2013, 10:40:46 pm
The entertainment/drama factor of MLB.  Nearly all of these guys are mercenaries.  They don't care about the town they work in (at least not to the point where they're going to sacrifice millions of dollars to stay in one over the other).  Most of them don't live there and a lot of them don't even speak the language (not that I have a problem with that).  So when they tell you they love the community understand that they're probably trying to get endorsements and when they say it's not about the money; It's about the money.  They understand that tomorrow they could be looking for an apartment in Detroit.

Here's an idea...when Albert Pujols KNOWS he is going to the highest bidder, regardless, don't lie your ass off. Those few people that still worshiped at his feet in St. Louis now think of him in the same breath with Jodi Arias. Lying PoS.

By the way...I always associated the SHOW with the NBA, which is why I gave up on that in about 1967.

Jackrabbit Hog

Most of us over 50 (which I'm safely assuming includes Root66) who grew up in Arkansas and who grew up baseball fans . . . grew up Cardinal fans.  Being a Cardinal fan was unique back then because St. Louis was THE team of the midwest.  St. Louis was, is and always will be a baseball city that fully embraces its team and its players.  But back then it was even more than that because its fans stretched across an entire section of the country.  Little Rock was smack dab in the middle of it, not only because of its geographical location, but also because KLRA was part of the Cardinals radio network and the Arkansas Travelers were the Double A farm team of the Cardinals.  There was no free agency back then, so you could count on your favorite players coming back every year.  Sure, there was the occasional big trade (thank you, Cubs, for Lou Brock), but for the most part you could count on the core group that included your favorite players being there every spring.  Quite simply, it has always been a love affair between Cardinal fans and their team.

All of that is some background as to why so many Cardinal fans are bitter at Pujols.  So many players over the past 20 years have taken LESS money to go to the Cardinals because of the organization, the city, the fans, the whole experience.  So few have left the Cardinals voluntarily.  So when the biggest star St. Louis has had since Bob Gibson (I'm intentionally omitting that whole McGwire fiasco) decides to leave for more money, it hit Cardinal fans like a ton of bricks.  Bitterness isn't a healthy emotion and with time most will move on.  But right now, it's like a stage of a grief process. 

I don't wish bad things on Pujols.  I just wish continued success for the Cardinals.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Root66

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 20, 2013, 11:13:58 pm
Most of us over 50 (which I'm safely assuming includes Root66) who grew up in Arkansas and who grew up baseball fans . . . grew up Cardinal fans.  Being a Cardinal fan was unique back then because St. Louis was THE team of the midwest.  St. Louis was, is and always will be a baseball city that fully embraces its team and its players.  But back then it was even more than that because its fans stretched across an entire section of the country.  Little Rock was smack dab in the middle of it, not only because of its geographical location, but also because KLRA was part of the Cardinals radio network and the Arkansas Travelers were the Double A farm team of the Cardinals.  There was no free agency back then, so you could count on your favorite players coming back every year.  Sure, there was the occasional big trade (thank you, Cubs, for Lou Brock), but for the most part you could count on the core group that included your favorite players being there every spring.  Quite simply, it has always been a love affair between Cardinal fans and their team.

All of that is some background as to why so many Cardinal fans are bitter at Pujols.  So many players over the past 20 years have taken LESS money to go to the Cardinals because of the organization, the city, the fans, the whole experience.  So few have left the Cardinals voluntarily.  So when the biggest star St. Louis has had since Bob Gibson (I'm intentionally omitting that whole McGwire fiasco) decides to leave for more money, it hit Cardinal fans like a ton of bricks.  Bitterness isn't a healthy emotion and with time most will move on.  But right now, it's like a stage of a grief process. 

I don't wish bad things on Pujols.  I just wish continued success for the Cardinals.

Good post JR...but I DO wish bad things on Pujols.

The Boar War

Quote from: Root66 on May 20, 2013, 10:48:01 pm
Here's an idea...when Albert Pujols KNOWS he is going to the highest bidder, regardless, don't lie your ass off. Those few people that still worshiped at his feet in St. Louis now think of him in the same breath with Jodi Arias. Lying PoS.

By the way...I always associated the SHOW with the NBA, which is why I gave up on that in about 1967.

I agree that he shouldn't lie but you are the only person who is comparing a baseball player leaving for more money at the end of his contract with a crazy woman who stabbed her ex lover 20 something times and shot him in the head.

Root66

Quote from: The Boar War on May 21, 2013, 12:24:40 am
I agree that he shouldn't lie but you are the only person who is comparing a baseball player leaving for more money at the end of his contract with a crazy woman who stabbed her ex lover 20 something times and shot him in the head.

The analogy was to her lies. Her lies were numerous and major league. His lies rank right up there. Screw Pujols.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Root66 on May 21, 2013, 11:34:00 am
The analogy was to her lies. Her lies were numerous and major league. His lies rank right up there. Screw Pujols.

Yes, lying about killing someone is exactly the same as lying about how much you care about money. 

::)

Root66

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on May 21, 2013, 08:51:10 pm
Yes, lying about killing someone is exactly the same as lying about how much you care about money. 

::)

ALBERT PUJOLS DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D And he's still a GD liar, just like Jodie Arias, whether it pisses you off or not.

Veritas Arkansas

Quote from: Root66 on May 21, 2013, 09:37:37 pm
ALBERT PUJOLS DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D And he's still a GD liar, just like Jodie Arias, whether it pisses you off or not.

If he doesn't matter, then why do you keep talking about him?

And I'm sure you've never lied once in your life, right?

Root66

Quote from: Veritas Arkansas on May 22, 2013, 07:32:04 am
If he doesn't matter, then why do you keep talking about him?

Because it matters to ME. In the linked article ALBERT PUJOLS DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE the meaning of that title could just as well have meant ALBERT PUJOLS IS INSIGNIFICANT NOW. And it apparently matters to you and Boar War and Jackrabbit and Baseball Hog and DeHorn and I'mHogginIt and McDaddy and pigtureperfect and EVERYONE else that posted in this thread...which I started. Any much dumbass questions?

I'm so happy Mr. Pujols, the LIAR, is looking at his 3rd downhill season in a row.

QuoteAnd I'm sure you've never lied once in your life, right?

That was addressed up above...go read the entire thread before making anymore dumb comments.

Oklahawg

Now, Root. You and I both know that unless a poster grew up listening to Jack Buck and Mike Shannon on KMOX, and then Mike Shannon on the post-game from his restaurant, then they are not long-term Cardinal fans.

I sat with my Dad as he recorded - to reel-to-reel, no less! - Gibson's last game, Brock's 920th and 921st stolen base, Brock's last game, and other memorable moments.

Steve Carlton. Now there is a jackass who, in a different era, would have made the cash grab and left the Cards high and dry. In his era the team got rid of him first.

2010 showed us that Chris Carpenter was far more important to STL than Pujols. He is the one that handed down team traditions. You hear names like Skip ("freaking" is often used as his nickname as he doesn't fit the "team superstar" mold) Schumaker, Carpy...going back to Oquendo and Pat Hentgen (!)...guys who ingrained in newer players the "Cardinal Way" and made sure it was passed down to the next generation of Cardinals.

Pujols got that message and did himself proud by MLB standards...but he didn't live up to the "Cardinal Way" standard. On virtually any other team Pujols would still be worshiped. Now, Card fans can see that others were more critical to the team even as Albert was driving the offense. This year's team is as impressive as any I can recall - depth all over the place and no egos.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Root66

Quote from: Root66 on May 22, 2013, 12:01:48 pm
Because it matters to ME. In the linked article ALBERT PUJOLS DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE the meaning of that title could just as well have meant ALBERT PUJOLS IS INSIGNIFICANT NOW. And it apparently matters to you and Boar War and Jackrabbit and Baseball Hog and DeHorn and I'mHogginIt and McDaddy and pigtureperfect and EVERYONE else that posted in this thread...which I started. Any much more dumbass questions?

I'm so happy Mr. Pujols, the LIAR, is looking at his 3rd downhill season in a row.

That was addressed up above...go read the entire thread before making anymore dumb comments.