Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the White Bass running at the head of the Little Maumelle Yet?

Started by LSUFan, March 06, 2013, 02:54:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

hogfan68

If you can get 4 or 5 days of 65 degrees with the nights staying above 45 that will usually get them moving. BTW i've got that same itch.

LSUFan

Quote from: hogfan68 on March 06, 2013, 05:35:31 am
If you can get 4 or 5 days of 65 degrees with the nights staying above 45 that will usually get them moving. BTW i've got that same itch.
The time between football, deer season and spring is hell brother!

RazorbackRon

The white bass run up into the Little Maumelle is one of my favorite times of the year.  Been fisihing out there for 35+ years now and we always look for the dogwoods blooming to give us the sign to start heading out.  Not quite there yet.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

LSUFan

Quote from: RazorbackRon on March 06, 2013, 04:11:46 pm
The white bass run up into the Little Maumelle is one of my favorite times of the year.  Been fisihing out there for 35+ years now and we always look for the dogwoods blooming to give us the sign to start heading out.  Not quite there yet.
Thanks

Flying Razorback

Whoops, didn't see this thread going before I posted mine.  We used to follow the run from the bank in Northwest Arkansas, should I get the jon boat out to chase the Maumelle white bass?
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

LSUFan

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 10, 2013, 05:48:06 pm
Whoops, didn't see this thread going before I posted mine.  We used to follow the run from the bank in Northwest Arkansas, should I get the jon boat out to chase the Maumelle white bass?
Lets just say, they get so thick, I "heard" you could snag them.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: LSUFan on March 11, 2013, 12:08:53 am
Lets just say, they get so thick, I "heard" you could snag them.

I've seen them so thick out there (especially in the shoals areas) that people did and were trying to snag.   Also, saw the Game & Fish officers write them some tickets.

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Flying Razorback

Same methods work down here as they did up in Northwest Arkansas?

RazorbackRon

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 11, 2013, 12:25:18 pm
Same methods work down here as they did up in Northwest Arkansas?

I lip hook live minnows and tightline them.  Don't have to worry about losing jigs but to answer your question, I would think so.

Flying Razorback

We used rooster tails and spoons during the run growing up.  I normally tight line and jig for crappie but none of my crappie holes were ever in the way of the white bass.

Virgil

I pass by there twice a day during the work week and have been seeing a bunch of boats.  There not catching them though.  They don't seem to be running at the moment but it shouldn't be too long.  I also had a buddy go out there Friday (3-8-2013) and they didn't catch a thing. 

It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

RazorbackRon

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 11, 2013, 01:12:15 pm
We used rooster tails and spoons during the run growing up.  I normally tight line and jig for crappie but none of my crappie holes were ever in the way of the white bass.

When I was speaking of tightlining minnows, I was speaking of fishing up in the creek itself.

LSUFan

Quote from: Virgil on March 12, 2013, 09:18:07 am
I pass by there twice a day during the work week and have been seeing a bunch of boats.  There not catching them though.  They don't seem to be running at the moment but it shouldn't be too long.  I also had a buddy go out there Friday (3-8-2013) and they didn't catch a thing.
Thanks, keep us posted, please

Flying Razorback

Quote from: RazorbackRon on March 12, 2013, 09:43:07 am
When I was speaking of tightlining minnows, I was speaking of fishing up in the creek itself.

Oh ok.  I thought you meant trolling jigs with minnows.  That's our main crappie technique.  We ran in to a school of stripers a time or two doing that, but never whites.

Virgil

Only two boats out there today.  I may take the boat out this weekend and see how its doing.  I still think its about 2 or so weeks out.  Gotta get this cold weather to get out of here and stay so the water temp will warm up some.

LSUFan

Quote from: Virgil on March 13, 2013, 09:56:30 am
Only two boats out there today.  I may take the boat out this weekend and see how its doing.  I still think its about 2 or so weeks out.  Gotta get this cold weather to get out of here and stay so the water temp will warm up some.
Thanks!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: Virgil on March 13, 2013, 09:56:30 am

I flew up the Maumelle River and out over the lake at about 10:50 this morning and saw two boats on the river, another inside the Highway 10 bridge, and then a couple in the lake just to the other side of the bridge.  Not a lot of activity fisherman-wise, wished I had been off and could have been out.  Couldn't tell if there was any fish activity or not but it definitely wasn't crowded.

RazorbackRon

FWIW, I fish from the bank (and wade) further up in the creek, where it's tough to get a boat.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: RazorbackRon on March 13, 2013, 02:40:56 pm
FWIW, I fish from the bank (and wade) further up in the creek, where it's tough to get a boat.

Good success doing that?  I've been wrangling over what tactic I should try this year.  This will be my first time doing Central Arkansas white bass.  I don't know if I want to wrangle with the other boats and trucks at the ramp, or if I want to fish shoulder to shoulder with strangers on the shore.

RazorbackRon

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 13, 2013, 03:24:58 pm
Good success doing that?  I've been wrangling over what tactic I should try this year.  This will be my first time doing Central Arkansas white bass.  I don't know if I want to wrangle with the other boats and trucks at the ramp, or if I want to fish shoulder to shoulder with strangers on the shore.

Yes very good luck if the fish are up in the creek.  I don;t have a boat so I fish from shore (or wade) but allot of times it is very crowded.  Thats one reason we tightline minnows, becuase the creek has allot of brush (on bottom) in those spots.  We catch allot of hybrids and occassionally a striper or two.   6 or 7 years ago, I caught a 12 lb striper with my 4 lb line...yea very lucky.

Virgil

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on March 13, 2013, 03:24:58 pm

Yea if you pass that last boat launch on 10 there is a place the AG & FC just made into a big parking lot for the walkers.  Last year it was full as a tick when the whites where back up there.  I'm disabled so I obviously don't fish but even if I could walk up there I'm not sure I'd mess with it.  I go the boat route and seem to do just fine.

LSUFan

Quote from: RazorbackRon on March 13, 2013, 03:31:17 pm
Yes very good luck if the fish are up in the creek.  I don;t have a boat so I fish from shore (or wade) but allot of times it is very crowded.  Thats one reason we tightline minnows, becuase the creek has allot of brush (on bottom) in those spots.  We catch allot of hybrids and occassionally a striper or two.   6 or 7 years ago, I caught a 12 lb striper with my 4 lb line...yea very lucky.
You HAVE to be fishing in the exact spot I'm talking about.

About a half mile trek through the woods off of 10?

RazorbackRon

Quote from: LSUFan on March 13, 2013, 10:51:31 pm
You HAVE to be fishing in the exact spot I'm talking about.

About a half mile trek through the woods off of 10?

Yep, LSUFan.   I bet I've seen you out there before.   Some nice pool areas in between several different shoal areas.

PonderinHog

LSUFan

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 14, 2013, 08:51:59 am
Sounds to me like some of you boys have got the fever...
Id rather a good fishin trip to a visit to the jiggly room ANYDAY!

RazorbackRon

LSUFan

Quote from: RazorbackRon on March 17, 2013, 09:03:01 pm
This cold weather this week is gonna delay the run.
Sh t always happens, and when the whites and crappie are supposed to be running on the Ar river, the damn rain starts and the river rises 10 feet.

Virgil

A co-worker went out this weekend (03-17-2013) but all they caught was one crappie and some black bass.  Said all he did was freeze his nards off. 

LSUFan

Quote from: Virgil on March 18, 2013, 10:05:41 am
A co-worker went out this weekend (03-17-2013) but all they caught was one crappie and some black bass.  Said all he did was freeze his nards off.
Frick it, Im going to Shell Beach Wednesday, the sheep head and reds are running!

Virgil

I was out of town last week but I'll try to get an update this week (03/25/2013).  Wasn't a sole out there this morning.  Too cold and windy I'd expect. 

LSUFan

Quote from: Virgil on March 25, 2013, 11:43:47 am
I was out of town last week but I'll try to get an update this week (03/25/2013).  Wasn't a sole out there this morning.  Too cold and windy I'd expect.
yup

LSUFan

DeltaBoy

We had 2 teenage boys bring a stringer full of Sandbass out of the Nolan River here in Cleburne TX this Sat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RazorbackRon

The whites are up in the creek now.  My nephew and a friend went out today and caught approx 30-35.

LSUFan

Quote from: RazorbackRon on April 09, 2013, 05:11:43 pm
The whites are up in the creek now.  My nephew and a friend went out today and caught approx 30-35.
Sweet, thanks Ron!

Virgil

Yeah Ii drove by there last Friday and there where a lot of boats on it and that walk in area there where a bunch of trucks. 

I may try to fight it Sunday.  Good l uck if you make it out LSUFan.

LSUFan

Quote from: Virgil on April 11, 2013, 11:39:57 am
Yeah Ii drove by there last Friday and there where a lot of boats on it and that walk in area there where a bunch of trucks. 

I won't be able to make it till next weekend, let me know how you do/did

Hammibal Lecter

Quote from: Virgil on April 11, 2013, 11:39:57 am

im heading out there this afternoon. Should be plenty of people...and fish
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

LSUFan

Current Update?

Thinking about heading there this weekend.

japhog

Quote from: LSUFan on March 26, 2014, 12:12:03 am
Current Update?

Thinking about heading there this weekend.

looking to the get in on the white bass run this year for the first time... 

can you tell me how difficult it is to get to the creek from the parking are the AG&F did on 10?  i have a 5 and 7 yr old i will be bringing and want to make sure they can make the trek through the woods...

LSUFan

Quote from: japhog on March 26, 2014, 09:14:20 am
looking to the get in on the white bass run this year for the first time... 

can you tell me how difficult it is to get to the creek from the parking are the AG&F did on 10?  i have a 5 and 7 yr old i will be bringing and want to make sure they can make the trek through the woods...
It's a very worn trail, easy to get down, it's about a mile back there though.

japhog

Quote from: LSUFan on March 26, 2014, 01:07:37 pm
It's a very worn trail, easy to get down, it's about a mile back there though.

thanks.  how much area is back there to fish?  when the parking lot is packed is it shoulder to shoulder or is there some room to spread out?

LSUFan

Quote from: japhog on March 26, 2014, 01:15:56 pm
thanks.  how much area is back there to fish?  when the parking lot is packed is it shoulder to shoulder or is there some room to spread out?
It's shoulder to shoulder when the lot is full.

Last I remember, there is about 100 feet of shore to fish from. If you're gonna take the little ones, I would suggest late afternoon during the week.

Theres no limit on them so those guys will stand there even after their ice chest is full.

Some use snagging hooks which is illegal, but not if you put something on the hook that looks like bait ;)

UAfan

LSUFan

Quote from: UAfan on April 03, 2014, 09:24:58 pm
How do you get there off of Highway 10?
Game and Fish made a parking lot right off the highway, on the left, if you are coming from LR. You may be able to call them for more specifics.