Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dennis dodd was hanging out with the coaching staff yesterday....

Started by The Fort, February 07, 2013, 11:17:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fort

great article about his experience.

found this funny Dodd talking about not calling the hogs " Wooo, pig, sooie is avoided. At least for this outsider looking in. " 

www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/21662469/hog-wild-bielemas-first-hogs-signing-day-packed-with-drama

Root66

I think I finally figured out why Arkansas was an afterthought with many of these national scribes. It's initials were BP.

Hooch

Quote from: Root66 on February 07, 2013, 12:00:51 pm
I think I finally figured out why Arkansas was an afterthought with many of these national scribes. It's initials were BP.

WOW! I assumed it was a tight ship, but wasn't aware it was that tight.  There is a time for "Serious Time" and "Play Time", however there is a lot of time in between that doesn't have to be either and can be enjoyable and productive. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Hooch on February 07, 2013, 12:05:13 pm
WOW! I assumed it was a tight ship, but wasn't aware it was that tight.  There is a time for "Serious Time" and "Play Time", however there is a lot of time in between that doesn't have to be either and can be enjoyable and productive.
CBB is a fit for Razorback Nation.

" GO HOGS "

Vantage 8 dude

I like the tone of this article. It's not critical in the least; in fact, I think it brings out the balance of seriousness with a definite "laid back" flair that Bret brings to the program. In listening to CBB's comments and observations last night I came away with an even better feeling about the direction of the program. He and the staff appear to acknowledge and even embrace the challenges but also the tremendous potential this program has. As he said in one of his interviews he can't be more excited for spring practice to begin so he can see in person what he really has.

redeye

Despite all his problems, I still think Petrino helped "right the ship" at Arkansas and had many great qualities as a head coach (along with many bad ones, that I still don't think our fan base recognizes.) I hope Bielema makes good use of all the film room upgrades and academic support that I believe we owe to Petrino.

Having said that, I'm not comparing Bielema and Petrino, but I am very excited that Long chose Bielema as Petrino's replacement. Can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

hawgmasta

I knew from various reports that Petrino was intense but damn. That's intense.

I'm sure it was great for game planning and play calling, we saw how methodical and exact his offense could be. If we were gonna change coaches though I think CBB is a perfect choice with an incredible staff. These guys will be recruiting machines next year; they're likable and have proven to be good developers of talent.

tophawg19

what people fail to realize is BP  is all buisness as is saban . it's in their blood and style of coaching . very aggressive in every aspect . CBB is more laid back . more typical of an Urban myer type . either way can get it done . BP / SABAN  use the hands on involved in every detail while a CBB/ MYER/MILES  CEO style lets assistants do more of the work .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bebop

Quote from: redeye on February 07, 2013, 03:58:17 pm
Despite all his problems, I still think Petrino helped "right the ship" at Arkansas and had many great qualities as a head coach (along with many bad ones, that I still don't think our fan base recognizes.) I hope Bielema makes good use of all the film room upgrades and academic support that I believe we owe to Petrino.

Having said that, I'm not comparing Bielema and Petrino, but I am very excited that Long chose Bielema as Petrino's replacement. Can't wait to see what the future holds for us!

Petrino should be credited in helping "right the ship." He showed that a good coach can win at Arkansas. Do I think that BP is overrated by some? Yes, I do.

With that said, I think BB can carve out his own here and have equal if not better success that Petrino. I think Arkansas can be in the hunt for a NC in the future.

Bebop

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 07, 2013, 04:03:07 pm

I'm sure it was great for game planning and play calling, we saw how methodical and exact his offense could be.

People forget that BP's offenses did struggle to execute at times in games that should have been bigger blow-outs. He was/is a good coach, but he is not the best. I think BB realizes that one man can't do it all and has hired people to help fill out any weaknesses.

MissippHog

I know it shows Dennis Dodd at the top of the article, but I refuse to believe he wrote it.  He has always been very critical of us.

Vantage 8 dude

I'll be the first to give BP his due. He did take over and right a ship that had been pretty much scuttled by the Hooter's antics. For a time, despite his lack of real personality and refusal to really spend adequate time addressing shortcomings in the defense, he succeeded in putting us near the top of the SEC. However, in looking back those same issues of arrogance and the ignoring of balanced recruiting and defensive deficiencies also were his undoing. I'm afraid had he stayed we very well may been looking at the same issues albeit not having just endured a miserable (and IMO unnecessary) 4-8 2012 season.

The real question now is "what's next"? Let's hope the first outward signs of "coach speak" and the first recruiting class of the CBB turn out to be what is indeed put into practice for years in the future. Setting the bar with even higher standards, holding players AND coaches/staff responsible in all aspects of the game and life, continuing to recruit against the biggest and best whenever and wherever....,all these things and more.

I just hope I can look back in a few months and realize that despite the short term hurt and pain inflicted on us this past April Fool's Day it's turned out to be a monumental long term joke played on the rest of the S.E.C.. GHG!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgmasta on February 07, 2013, 04:03:07 pm
I knew from various reports that Petrino was intense but damn. That's intense.

Sounds like OCD to the tenth degree.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi