Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I was wrong about Qualls

Started by swinesation, February 05, 2013, 08:56:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I thought Qualls was an "athlete" who might or might not ever be much of a basketball player. I thought he couldn't shoot the ball.

I was wrong. That dude can play; he might end up being big time. He brings A LOT to the table.

This is one of those cases where I love being wrong.

razorson

beebefootballfan

His main problem is he was green and needed some time to adjust.  I think its safe to say the adjustment is near complete. Clarke is the same way.  I think the game is starting to come around for him to. 
"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."- Alexis de Tocqueville

DOGALUM

Quote from: beebefootballfan on February 05, 2013, 08:57:49 pm
His main problem is he was green and needed some time to adjust.  I think its safe to say the adjustment is near complete. Clarke is the same way.  I think the game is starting to come around for him to. 
I agree.  Both are looking SO much more confident.  Qualls and Clarke could both become big time players in the future. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Beaverfever

Extremely valuable player.  He really reminds me of Marcus Monk.  Not great at anything but good at several things, athletic and plays with a mean streak.  He's the kind of guy that usually plays for the winning team. 

WizardofhOgZ

Been calling him the next Lenzie Howell/Darrell Hawkins since I saw his highlight film.  That is one of those "hidden" ingredients that a system like Mike's needs to be big time.  Obviously, the kid needed some time to adjust to the college game but we are seeing glimpses of those two at this time.

It is a beautiful thing to see - especially in a freshman!

DOGALUM

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2013, 09:02:14 pm
Extremely valuable player.  He really reminds me of Marcus Monk.  Not great at anything but good at several things, athletic and plays with a mean streak.  He's the kind of guy that usually plays for the winning team. 
I think that he's much more athletic on the court than Monk was.  More explosive.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Beaverfever

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 05, 2013, 09:03:47 pm
I think that he's much more athletic on the court than Monk was.  More explosive.   
yeah monk was plenty athletic but he liked to bang a bit more.  He was basically just a really good pick-up basketball player.  His game was very simple but effective.  Qualls still reminds me of him.  A good comparison would be a slightly less athletic but more controlled Glen Bryant.  He's a better rebounder than Bryant though if I remember right. 

HawgnCorona

Quote from: swinesation on February 05, 2013, 08:56:05 pm
I thought Qualls was an "athlete" who might or might not ever be much of a basketball player. I thought he couldn't shoot the ball.

I was wrong. That dude can play; he might end up being big time. He brings A LOT to the table.

Quote from: razorson on February 05, 2013, 08:57:28 pm
You are forgiven, go in peace.

And sin no more, please!! ;)
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

middlesopen6

I have really enjoyed watching him for the last couple games, he seems to be around the ball and under control.  Also, can elevate into his jump shot and keep good form and arch on the shot. oh yeah, and he has that explosiveness at the rim! he is turning into a important piece for this team.

Brand X Hog Fan

Look again guys. Did you see the form and elevation on Qualls' last jumper? I believe it was about a 14 footer and the dude was up there! It was one of the best looking jump shots I've seen from a 3 or 4 in a long time. I think he can be coached up to stardom! The kid can play!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

BrianWPS!!

The answer is simple. He's playing the 3 now instead of the 4. He's not big enough to bang around but he's not small. That's why his rebounding has shot up. The analysist efen said that bj told him to take the three instead of him so he can have freedom to run and make hustle plays. a nice shot is just a bonus.

The Hogfather

Hogz87

Yeah, I think some of you are selling him short comparing him to Glen Bryant and Marcus Monk, unless you mean Qualls in his current state.  His ceiling is much higher than either of those two.

swinesation

Quote from: Hogz87 on February 05, 2013, 09:34:39 pm
Yeah, I think some of you are selling him short comparing him to Glen Bryant and Marcus Monk, unless you mean Qualls in his current state.  His ceiling is much higher than either of those two.

I agree

swinesation

Lots of mercy and grace in Jump Ball tonight. :)

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on February 05, 2013, 09:23:05 pm
Look again guys. Did you see the form and elevation on Qualls' last jumper? I believe it was about a 14 footer and the dude was up there! It was one of the best looking jump shots I've seen from a 3 or 4 in a long time. I think he can be coached up to stardom! The kid can play!

I was looking at the keyboard and didnt get see that particular jumper...Im going to have to go to ESPN3 to see that one.

At any rate he keeps up and improve his level of play this young man has a heck of future ahead of him. I wish him nothing but the best.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

Beaverfever

Well obviously we're just comparing his style.  And Marcus Monk was almost immediately our best player when he was plugged into the team.  Comparing him to Monk is no diss.  If he hadn't been so occupied with football he would have had a very successful college bball career.  But yeah Qualls is a dynamic player.  If he ever becomes a big time shooter the sky is the limit. 

HawgnCorona

I have always said he reminds me of Lenzie since the summer...Now if he can continue during the offseason I would say he could be an MJ.  Bold talk for sure but Mikey had to work hard to get to his level.

Hogz87

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 05, 2013, 10:04:59 pm
Well obviously we're just comparing his style.  And Marcus Monk was almost immediately our best player when he was plugged into the team.  Comparing him to Monk is no diss.  If he hadn't been so occupied with football he would have had a very successful college bball career.  But yeah Qualls is a dynamic player.  If he ever becomes a big time shooter the sky is the limit. 
Yeah, I should've left Monk out of it.  He was a good player, especially when you consider he was splitting time between basketball and football.  I remember watching him run the point when EPC dismantled what was supposed to be a favored PA team with Sam Muncey and some post man I heard a lot about (can't remember his name) in the state semi-finals; and then I saw them cap it off with an win in the state championship.  Thought he was going to be a special player for the Hogs.  Think he would've been really, really good if he had focused on just basketball.

Bryant, though, was just a really raw freak athlete.  A little taller than Qualls (but I think Qualls may be longer) but I think Qualls is more skilled and has a higher ceiling.

Hogz87

Quote from: HawgnCorona on February 05, 2013, 10:09:02 pm
I have always said he reminds me of Lenzie since the summer...Now if he can continue during the offseason I would say he could be an MJ.  Bold talk for sure but Mikey had to work hard to get to his level.
I'm only 25, so I don't remember Howell.  I mean I've heard of him before, but don't actually remember him as a player.

songofthesword

you guys are selling monk WAY short.  monk pre knee injury was a rivals 150 BASKETBALL player and was as smooth as silk.  he was what we thought KY madden was supposed to be.  pre knee and post knee were 2 different players. qualls is good but monk pre knee was way more skilled

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: swinesation on February 05, 2013, 08:56:05 pm

He busted that fk net when it counted whoooooo, GHG...!
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Ugly Uncle

I don't guess any of you youngins remember Leroy Sutton.  He reminds me a lot of Leroy.
Retired Radio Host

jamie72921

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 05, 2013, 10:31:21 pm
I don't guess any of you youngins remember Leroy Sutton.  He reminds me a lot of Leroy.

I remember Sutton and he looked like a cripple up beside Qualls and rarely shot from more than 3 feet from the rim.
Bless your heart

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 05, 2013, 10:31:21 pm

Light skinned black guy, he was a hard worker and good on O and D, I liked him...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: jamie72921 on February 05, 2013, 10:42:25 pm
I remember Sutton and he looked like a cripple up beside Qualls and rarely shot from more than 3 feet from the rim.

Leroy was a great leaper like Qualls, and you are right he didn't take many shots far from the rim.  They are about the same size and both know how to go get the ball off the boards.  Leroy could hit key shots.  Their games were actually pretty close.
Retired Radio Host