Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roster changes over the next couple of years

Started by Pork Twain, January 19, 2013, 06:13:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

January 19, 2013, 06:13:19 pm Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:42:30 pm by BeoPig™
So after this year we will likely lose
Powell, F, 6-7
Young, G, 6-3

After next year we will lose
Coty Clarke, F, 6-7
Fred Gulley, G, 6-2
Kikko Haydar, G, 5-10
Rickey Scott, G, 6-3
Mardracus Wade, G, 6-2

That means our 2014 roster will look like this
Anthlon Bell, G, 6-3
Rashad Madden, G, 6-5
Michael Qualls, G, 6-5
Davion Spivey, G, 6-2
Dee Wagner, G, 5-10
Alandise Harris, F, 6-6
Hunter Mickelson, F, 6-10
Jacorey Williams, F, 6-8
Bobby Portis, F, 6-8
Moses Kingsley, C, 6-9

Who do you see us targeting?  That will be quite the roster turnover and will allow MA to reshape it in a big way.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

labb

What about the Harris kid that is setting out this season.

daBoar

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 19, 2013, 06:13:19 pm

After next year we will lose
Coty Clarke, F, 6-7
Fred Gulley, G, 6-2
Kikko Haydar, G, 5-10
Rickey Scott, G, 6-3
Mardracus Wade, G, 6-2

That means our 2014 roster will look like this
Anthlon Bell, G, 6-3
Rashad Madden, G, 6-5
Michael Qualls, G, 6-5
Davion Spivey, G, 6-2
Dee Wagner, G, 5-10
Hunter Mickelson, F, 6-10
Jacorey Williams, F, 6-8
Bobby Portis, F, 6-8
Moses Kingsley, C, 6-9

Who do you see us targeting?  That will be quite the roster turnover and will allow MA to reshape it in a big way.
I suspect we'll lose 2 more beyond BJ and Powell.  We need a penetrating guard and anyone else who is not scared to face the basket and shoot inside the paint.

swinesation

2014 we'll have Bell, Madden, Wagner, and some freshmen as guards. That's scary.

IMO, Mike should have been more selective with his signings this year. I'm not sure how good Qualls, Williams, and Wagner are ever going to be. Wagner is physically limited and had no major offers. Qualls and Williams are both athlete/projects. Three guys like that in one signing class is weak.

Pork Twain

I agree that we might see a transfer or two as well after this year.  If that happens do we offer Lee?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Spider-Pig

rude1

Quote from: swinesation on January 19, 2013, 06:27:16 pm
2014 we'll have Bell, Madden, Wagner, and some freshmen as guards. That's scary.

IMO, Mike should have been more selective with his signings this year. I'm not sure how good Qualls, Williams, and Wagner are ever going to be. Wagner is physically limited and had no major offers. Qualls and Williams are both athlete/projects. Three guys like that in one signing class is weak.
Yes. What's wrong with this team is CMA failed to build on what he had. He brought in all guys who are either projects are role players. We really need to put a couple of classes together where we are bringing in guys who can change the game.

Spider-Pig

I like qualls and Williams.  They're going to be good players.  Bell too.

rude1

Quote from: Spider-Pig on January 19, 2013, 06:47:06 pm
I like qualls and Williams.  They're going to be good players.  Bell too.
That's just it, at some point you have to bring in players who "are good players", not players who "are going to be good players".  When you say a guy is going to be a good player that means he currently isn't but with work he could potentially be.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rude1 on January 19, 2013, 06:47:34 pm
Yes. What's wrong with this team is CMA failed to build on what he had. He brought in all guys who are either projects are role players. We really need to put a couple of classes together where we are bringing in guys who can change the game.

What's wrong with this team is the miserable job Pel did in putting together a roster that compliments each other well. He failed at recruiting bigs and he failed at recruiting guards that can score on the perimeter. CMA was handcuffed when he came in by getting Abron, Madden, and Mickelson who do not in any way fit his system. I don't think we see any consistency, which is key in getting road wins, until year four of CMA's tenure here, simply due to the fact that we need perimeter scoring guards and we don't lose our current guards until after next year.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

rude1

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 06:57:17 pm
What's wrong with this team is the miserable job Pel did in putting together a roster that compliments each other well. He failed at recruiting bigs and he failed at recruiting guards that can score on the perimeter. CMA was handcuffed when he came in by getting Abron, Madden, and Mickelson who do not in any way fit his system. I don't think we see any consistency, which is key in getting road wins, until year four of CMA's tenure here, simply due to the fact that we need perimeter scoring guards and we don't lose our current guards until after next year.
I agree he was handed a much unbalanced and young roster, but my point is he didn't add anyone to it this season who could make a difference to the quality of play. All the guys he brought in were role players or reaches.

Razorod

Maybe we can add Kendal Yancy-Harris this spring. Will be interesting to see if you he opens his recruitment back up. I believe he's leading the DFW metro area in assists. He also visited the hill this past summer,so there could be interest.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Big Nasty 34

I think qualls and Williams will be stars at tha point. They will excel in this system, and I think their skills will improve a lot over the offseason. They have shown good moments this year. Not afraid to play, when others are very tentative.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rude1 on January 19, 2013, 06:59:12 pm
I agree he was handed a much unbalanced and young roster, but my point is he didn't add anyone to it this season who could make a difference to the quality of play. All the guys he brought in were role players or reaches.

I think we just crapped the bed when Stokes changed his mind.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on January 19, 2013, 06:50:39 pm
That's just it, at some point you have to bring in players who "are good players", not players who "are going to be good players".  When you say a guy is going to be a good player that means he currently isn't but with work he could potentially be.
I agree and have said over and over we need to find pups that will bite when they are young. You can usually see if they are going to work out. Powell and BJ are the only two on this team that performed to all-sec standards as true freshman. Maybe all-sec is asking too much probably but at least guys who show that kind of potential and are on the cusp. Portis and Kingsley will both be impact players next year. One on O and D and the other on D. We need space for two more guards. A point and shooting guard who are good enough to start and contribute right away. Maybe we need to bring someone on staff who can recruit these players. Go steal a guy away from a school getting top 10 classes every year and pay him what it takes to get him.

So in my mind I think it would also be better to look at the staff overall and what they bring to the table and not just look at the players themselves.

Danny J

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 07:00:42 pm
I think we just crapped the bed when Stokes changed his mind.
I said at the time that NOT starting BJ for most of the season last year could be a huge factor in recruiting some of these highly regarded players. It is one thing not to start a guy because he is not as good but to start Scott in place of BJ for 2/3 of the season was inexcusable. All I heard was "yeah but he still gets his minutes." Problem with that thinking is these highly recruited and regarded kids coming out of HS care about starting. It is not all about minutes but the prestige that comes with starting.

Big Nasty 34

We aren't Kentucky

rude1

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on January 19, 2013, 07:08:08 pm
We aren't Kentucky
I didn't realize KY is the only team that brings in good players.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: rude1 on January 19, 2013, 07:12:48 pm
I didn't realize KY is the only team that brings in good players.

They nearly are as far as bringing in freshmen that make massive impacts.

daBoar

Quote from: Spider-Pig on January 19, 2013, 06:47:06 pm
....  Bell too.
I'm not sure.  I have not seen him defend, dribble, or shoot inside 21 feet.

rude1

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 07:14:17 pm
Ole Miss has a Juco guy leading the team and conference in scoring. A difference maker doesn't always have to be a freshman or a top 5 recruit.

slopman

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 07:14:17 pm

Then why are we paying MA that much money? He better start getting the players because BJ and Powell will not be here to bail him out.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: slopman on January 19, 2013, 07:20:18 pm
Then why are we paying MA that much money? He better start getting the players because BJ and Powell will not be here to bail him out.

How about we practice something called patience? MA's system is built on four year guys. Not One and Dones.

99toLife

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 07:23:01 pm
How about we practice something called patience? MA's system is built on four year guys. Not One and Dones.

So after paying him $10,000,000.00 we should expect results?

Spider-Pig

Quote from: daBoar on January 19, 2013, 07:19:07 pm
I'm not sure.  I have not seen him defend, dribble, or shoot inside 21 feet.

I think he'll feel a much needed 3pt/zone buster type role next year and continue to improve his game. Will he ever start? I don't know but I think he'll be a key component

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: 99toLife on January 19, 2013, 07:24:30 pm

If you want to simplify it to something that simple when you know it is not, yes.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: slopman on January 19, 2013, 07:20:18 pm

Who did MA get at MU that really contributed year one? Honest question.

I love BJ and Marshawn, but they sure aren't defensive studs like we need. BJ can hardly keep his man in front. Just ready for the next contested lay up.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 07:23:01 pm

He and his staff know what they're doing

Nit this yr
NCAA 1st weekend next yr
Deep NCAA run in two yrs

Might be a year off of some people's expectations but it's a process

Pork Twain

I think we all thought we had that a couple of classes ago

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Spider-Pig on January 19, 2013, 07:28:28 pm
He and his staff know what they're doing

Nit this yr
NCAA 1st weekend next yr
Deep NCAA run in two yrs

Might be a year off of some people's expectations but it's a process

A common scence answer. Thank you! Gotta get his guys in there. We are such an instant gratification society. Demand results now!

Pork Twain

No reason to turn this into a bash MA thread.  Just looking to see if anyone had any thoughts on the future of our roster over the next couple of years.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 19, 2013, 07:46:44 pm
No reason to turn this into a bash MA thread.  Just looking to see if anyone had any thoughts on the future of our roster over the next couple of years.
This is jumpball. Every thread is a bash the coach thread.

Smithian

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 06:57:17 pmHe failed at recruiting bigs
Marshawn Powell right now is doing a great job for the Hogs. He beat out interest from Kansas, Baylor, and Kentucky for Hunter Mickelson. He also signed Abron who was a top 150 talent and a Parade All-American and is now averaging 7/5.5 in 20 minutes for TCU after a good freshman year for the Hogs. Aaron Ross would also have been a PF for the Hogs and after he didn't make it Anderson chose not to replace him in the class. So, not sure how Pelphrey did a particularly bad job adding bigs when he left Marshawn Powell along with Mickelson and Abron. We were also spammed that Glenn Bryant would be amazing in a full court system and he saw what Anderson was offering and left.

What big guys pre-Portis/Harris can you point at as big gets for Mike Anderson? I really don't know. Ricardo Ratliffe should have been a Hog but had some academic issues. I think Laurence Bowers and Demarre Carroll were related to Anderson. Jacorrey Williams seems like a high quality recruit.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 06:57:17 pm
failed at recruiting guards that can score on the perimeter
BJ Young is projected as a first rounder. Rickey Scott and Mardracus Wade were recruited by Mike Anderson up at Missouri. Pelphrey also left 15 PPG scorer Rotnei Clarke and Anderson was unable to convince him to stay at Arkansas. Ky Madden was heavily recruited by Baylor, UCONN, and Ole Miss as a scoring guard and had offers from Josh Pastner, Calipari, Billy Donovan, and others. That's five quality guards plus solid bodies in Nobles and Peterson (who chose to transfer to FSU).

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 06:57:17 pmCMA was handcuffed when he came in by getting Abron, Madden, and Mickelson who do not in any way fit his system.
Poor Mike Anderson. Handcuffed by inheriting 4* recruits who he re-recruited. If they were so awful Anderson could have cut Mickelson loose to Kansas, Madden to Baylor or Ole Miss, and Abron to TAMU.

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 19, 2013, 06:57:17 pmI don't think we see any consistency, which is key in getting road wins, until year four of CMA's tenure here, simply due to the fact that we need perimeter scoring guards and we don't lose our current guards until after next year.
Why would he want to get rid of a first rounder and two guys he recruited at Missouri?

We all know this roster doesn't fit his scheme perfectly, but let's not act like he has a roster reminiscent of what Nolan left Stand Heath.

Pork Twain

January 19, 2013, 10:08:51 pm #34 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:31:48 pm by BeoPig™
Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 09:52:30 pm
Poor Mike Anderson. Handcuffed by inheriting 4* recruits who he re-recruited. If they were so awful Anderson could have cut Mickelson loose to Kansas, Madden to Baylor or Ole Miss, and Abron to TAMU.

We all know this roster doesn't fit his scheme perfectly, but let's not act like he has a roster reminiscent of what Nolan left Stand Heath.
First off, Heath left Pel a stacked roster and Pel got progressively worse and second, I think we can agree that not all players turn out to be as good in college as they hare hyped in high school.

Heath had plenty of talent, but several from his first class decided to go elsewhere (Iggy and Al).

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 19, 2013, 10:08:51 pm
First off, Heath left Pel a stacked roster

A stacked roster? Oh, riiiight, Pel had a "stacked roster" for that one season that ended up having the best season in nearly 10 years.

And then that "stacked roster's" eligibility ran out, leaving just two players with any previous game experience.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

la20688

Quote from: 99toLife on January 19, 2013, 07:24:30 pm
The last time we changed to this type of a system, how long did it take for us to see results? As far as the money goes, thats just a sign of the times.

Pork Twain

I have you on ignore but I am sure you said waa.... Pel...  Waa...waa...  Sorry Pel had no system and he did not learn how to recruit till his last year

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 19, 2013, 10:43:25 pm
I have you on ignore but I am sure you said waa.... Pel...  Waa...waa...  Sorry Pel had no system and he did not learn how to recruit till his last year

I'm on ignore but you somehow knew that I responded to your post?

Whatever. You read what I posted.

Sorry if you don't like facts I gave that trumped your inaccuracies. Rotnei Clarke and Marshawn Powell don't agree with you either.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hogman99

I'm not sure why Powell and Young would be leaving early.  The NBA is the best of the best and with all due respect, those two are not near that level.  Unless they just want to leave and play in one of the many foreign leagues they should come back.  We shall see, but I hope they return to help lead this team with the new players we are getting next year.   

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 09:52:30 pm
Marshawn Powell right now is doing a great job for the Hogs. He beat out interest from Kansas, Baylor, and Kentucky for Hunter Mickelson. He also signed Abron who was a top 150 talent and a Parade All-American and is now averaging 7/5.5 in 20 minutes for TCU after a good freshman year for the Hogs. Aaron Ross would also have been a PF for the Hogs and after he didn't make it Anderson chose not to replace him in the class. So, not sure how Pelphrey did a particularly bad job adding bigs when he left Marshawn Powell along with Mickelson and Abron. We were also spammed that Glenn Bryant would be amazing in a full court system and he saw what Anderson was offering and left.

What big guys pre-Portis/Harris can you point at as big gets for Mike Anderson? I really don't know. Ricardo Ratliffe should have been a Hog but had some academic issues. I think Laurence Bowers and Demarre Carroll were related to Anderson. Jacorrey Williams seems like a high quality recruit.
BJ Young is projected as a first rounder. Rickey Scott and Mardracus Wade were recruited by Mike Anderson up at Missouri. Pelphrey also left 15 PPG scorer Rotnei Clarke and Anderson was unable to convince him to stay at Arkansas. Ky Madden was heavily recruited by Baylor, UCONN, and Ole Miss as a scoring guard and had offers from Josh Pastner, Calipari, Billy Donovan, and others. That's five quality guards plus solid bodies in Nobles and Peterson (who chose to transfer to FSU).
Why would he want to get rid of a first rounder and two guys he recruited at Missouri?

You really love you some Pelphrey.

Thank God Pel left Mike Powell, Abron, and Mickelson. That is just a loaded roster of bigs. I mean, surely even Georgetown envies that roster. Two 6'7" guys, and a 6'10" Euro style forward. Pel sucked at recruiting bigs. I don't give a crap who he outrecruited to get the guys on campus, he sucked at getting *enough* of them on campus. Bryant was a SF. Not a big man. Aaron Ross is a SF if I've ever watched one play. That is what he played in HS and on the AAU circuit. I don't have access to Anderson's final roster at Mizzou, but I would be willing to bet he had more than three guys apt to play the PF position.

Rickey Scott, Ky Madden, Peterson, Nobles, nor Wade were hyped as three point shooters out of HS, or Peterson as a transfer. Nobles was at best a streaky shooter. Wade developed his shot after his freshman year. There is a difference between a scoring guard and a perimeter scorer. A big one. We have no guy other than Bell at this point who is just a pure shooter.

A plethora of 4* recruits doesn't mean jack squat if they do not fit the system at all. What was Anderson supposed to do with a month until the 2nd signing day? Cut the guys loose and in a month put together a class that would do nothing for the program and at the same time hurt his image among Arkansas high school coaches by cutting loose the big three? He took the talent and the ties to the Arkansas Wings program and Arkansas High Schools.

And don't put words in my mouth, I'm not even comparing this roster to Heath's first year. It would be idiotic to do so. But it also is foolish to act like MA can do crap consistently, that's my real point, consistency, with this roster built from players that will never fit his system. Wade and Scott do fit, I say this as a last second fleeting thought, but they, like Young, need to be surrounded with shooters. He had those shooters at Mizzou, Scott would've been great at Mizzou; he doesn't have them here. Yet.

I stand by my thought that there will be no consistency in Arkansas basketball until year four of MA's tenure. In year four the guard situation will finally be able to be overhauled without APR killing us, and MA will be able to bring some of his own style guards to the system that can actually shoot and help with our pathetic offense.

slopman

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on January 19, 2013, 07:27:42 pm
Who did MA get at MU that really contributed year one? Honest question.

I love BJ and Marshawn, but they sure aren't defensive studs like we need. BJ can hardly keep his man in front. Just ready for the next contested lay up.

He has been in the the business for 30 years and the last 12 years or so as the head coach, and he got nobody or bodies lined up to play for him. That speaks volumes in itself.

Buck up Mike, the bucks are being paid and we are not seeing the results. Next year when BJ and MP are gone how in the hell we going to score more than 40 points. Oh wait MA has a former players kids coming in 2015 or some crap like that. Get it done Mike

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hogman99 on January 19, 2013, 11:10:47 pm
I'm not sure why Powell and Young would be leaving early.  The NBA is the best of the best and with all due respect, those two are not near that level.  Unless they just want to leave and play in one of the many foreign leagues they should come back.  We shall see, but I hope they return to help lead this team with the new players we are getting next year.   
I agree with you completely. Those two won't even make an NBA roster next year if they leave early. However, I'm an old man looking at how the real world works and not a young kid with people whispering in my ear to leave because I'm going to be the next great
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: hogman99 on January 19, 2013, 11:10:47 pm
I'm not sure why Powell and Young would be leaving early.  The NBA is the best of the best and with all due respect, those two are not near that level.
Quote from: TNhawgfan on January 20, 2013, 07:45:13 am
I agree with you completely. Those two won't even make an NBA roster next year if they leave early.

B.J. still has a 1st round grade projected for himself by nearly every critic out there that matters. You guys should re-evaluate how the NBA Draft works.

Long gone are the days were ready-made juniors and seniors are taken early and often.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: slopman on January 20, 2013, 06:45:14 am
He has been in the the business for 30 years and the last 12 years or so as the head coach, and he got nobody or bodies lined up to play for him. That speaks volumes in itself.

Buck up Mike, the bucks are being paid and we are not seeing the results. Next year when BJ and MP are gone how in the hell we going to score more than 40 points. Oh wait MA has a former players kids coming in 2015 or some crap like that. Get it done Mike

It cannot be done this quickly. What do you want him to do? Send everyone who doesn't fit the system packing and recruit an entirely new roster?

slopman

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on January 20, 2013, 08:26:05 am
It cannot be done this quickly. What do you want him to do? Send everyone who doesn't fit the system packing and recruit an entirely new roster?

Why don't you ask him. He is the CEO, the buck stops with him right?

Dominicanhog

As I've stated earlier, imo we'll see as many as 6 new faces next year,  1 or 2 transfers, players leaving for the pro's etc... I think it depends on how many players Mike can find that will help his team.  Look for at least a couple of juco gauard/small forward's to be mentioned in recruiting.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 20, 2013, 09:58:20 am
As I've stated earlier, imo we'll see as many as 6 new faces next year,  1 or 2 transfers, players leaving for the pro's etc... I think it depends on how many players Mike can find that will help his team.  Look for at least a couple of juco gauard/small forward's to be mentioned in recruiting.
You may be overlooking the APR hit if this happens.  Catch 22.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 20, 2013, 10:02:06 am
You may be overlooking the APR hit if this happens.  Catch 22.

Exactly, there cannot be a roster overhaul (which is what we need). MA needs a new roster, but can't get one in a quick way, making this a long rebuild job. The problem is that our fanbase has absolutely no patience, and when we're not that much better next year people will be screaming for Mike's head.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: slopman on January 20, 2013, 09:49:50 am
Why don't you ask him. He is the CEO, the buck stops with him right?

Nice deflection.