Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are the Hogs Improved over Last Year

Started by daBoar, January 19, 2013, 10:19:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

daBoar

The Hogs have about the same record as they did last year at this time.  They have not won a game outside of Arkansas.  Powell is healthy and not redshirting, yet BJ and Wade are not shooting as well as they did last season.  Madden appears as the fifth guard.  And, in the last game Mickelson was pulled.   It is all so strange.

They lost by 8 last year at Ole Miss....we may learn more today.

Dropkick

I think we are better, I would have to say our ooc schedule was a lot tougher. We still are a long way from a contender though.

HawgAdvocate

January 19, 2013, 10:40:58 am #2 Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:16:48 am by HawgAdvocate
We did beat #20 Michigan last season, as well as two SEC teams (MSU, Vandy) that were in the top 25.

We don't yet have a signature win this season.

Despite the return of Powell, another year of experience for last year's group of freshman that play key roles for this team, and another full year playing this style, we've yet to take a noticeable step forward.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Smithian

Quote from: Dropkick on January 19, 2013, 10:22:52 am
I think we are better, I would have to say our ooc schedule was a lot tougher. We still are a long way from a contender though.
The tough schedule is nothing to brag about when you don't actually win any of the tough games. If anything, we under performed. The hope was to win at least one game in Vegas then beat Syracuse or Michigan. Both games we lost. The Arizona State loss is still the one that stings. At this point the Hogs need a couple notable wins or this season will end no postseason and a step back from last season.

Right now, it's a long season with plenty of time to right the ship but so far it's been a frustrating season. I think we'll end on a high note.

secfan30

The key is how do we finish this season Compared to last. With no major injuries can we win some at the end to get to 20-21 wins and post season play? I will say the defense seems busier, more attacking and actually causing problems for our opponents. (not counting Texas A&M).

Dogtown Donkey

I can't say that we have improved this season.

One might be able to have individual instances of improvement, but as a team, we're still seeing the same problems that have plagued us from even before Anderson was here.

We did have a much tougher non-con schedule, but as Smithian said, it's not really doing us any good right now was we only have a win over Oklahoma to show for it. They have a tenuous grasp on "the bubble" right now. Had we beaten ASU, that win would be somewhat similar to the OU win. We don't have much of a resume right now, and as Hawg Advocate pointed out, we had beaten several ranked teams around this team last season.

I'm curious to see the argument for improvement. Have been for a while now. Lot of posters seem to be just spouting out that we've improved or "this is a team that will get better as the year goes along", but we've yet to see that.

Smithian

We win today against Ole Miss and we should beat Miss State at home before going on the road to Alabama/South Carolina which should at least be a split. Come back and should beat Tennessee handedly at home. We win two of our next three road games and we should be 6-2 when Florida comes to town. They'll probably maul us, but if the Arena is packed and we've won some game then anything can happen.

Just whether or not we take care of business.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: secfan30 on January 19, 2013, 11:19:44 am
The key is how do we finish this season Compared to last. With no major injuries can we win some at the end to get to 20-21 wins and post season play? I will say the defense seems busier, more attacking and actually causing problems for our opponents. (not counting Texas A&M).

We've done a fairly good job of creating TOs all season long. Auburn shot 50% against us though. We've got to do better than that, especially against top 100 RPI teams.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Smithian

We win today and I am a believer. We lose today then there will be further reason for frustration.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 11:25:16 am
We win today and I am a believer. We lose today then there will be further reason for frustration.

You've picked an odd time to make that statement seeing as how the Hogs have historically (under all coaches) struggled to win @ Ole Miss.

Smithian

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on January 19, 2013, 11:27:02 am
You've picked an odd time to make that statement seeing as how the Hogs have historically (under all coaches) struggled to win @ Ole Miss.
Because we have a high paid coach with a first round pick at PG, a scoring forward, and a deep bench. Not his first time in a tough environment and its his second season now here. When you invest as much as Arkansas has in its BBall program, it's time to take the training wheels off and win some games.

jackflash

I can see improvement still short on inside play. If the can hit more outside shots they have a chance to make some noise I think

UNCLE BACK

Even though I said they needed to go, I think Abron and Nobles would have made this team better. Besides Powell we lost more than we gained. I say we are no better than last year. Hope that changes soon.

razorback93

We haven't seen improvement across the board.  We aren't getting anything consistent out of anybody but Marshawn and BJ.  Madden, Wade, Scott, and Mick have all stalled or regressed.  As a coach, how to you account for that?  He was, naturally, expecting these guys to at least give him what the gave last year, if not more.  I had hoped that more of the freshmen would be ready to contribute, but that hasn't really been the case.  I don't like moral victories, but I can handle losing if it's competitive.  We've had better teams than this not win at OM, so I have low expectations for this game.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: pridgehog on January 19, 2013, 11:44:50 am
Even though I said they needed to go, I think Abron and Nobles would have made this team better. Besides Powell we lost more than we gained. I say we are no better than last year. Hope that changes soon.

Losing Abron, and not finding another true interior replacement, has been a big deal. I think we've got way too many guards already to really feel the loss of Nobles, as Haydar and Gulley have done an admirable job.

But having Hunter as the only big man on the roster was a red flag before the season even started. If we're going to play more aggressively than our opposition, we've got to have the depth to sustain that aggressive play over 40 minutes.

Hunter isn't the guy to use his body and clear the lane for others to rebound, and Abron wasn't going to block shots like Hunter has shown, but those two could have complimented each other fairly well over their final three years.

latrops

Quote from: secfan30 on January 19, 2013, 11:19:44 am

A strong finish is the toughest thing to hope for, though, considering how poorly the Hogs have finished over the past several years.  This team is deeper, though the quality of the depth is debatable.

blacksuit

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 11:24:35 am
We win today against Ole Miss and we should beat Miss State at home before going on the road to Alabama/South Carolina which should at least be a split. Come back and should beat Tennessee handedly at home. We win two of our next three road games and we should be 6-2 when Florida comes to town. They'll probably maul us, but if the Arena is packed and we've won some game then anything can happen.

Just whether or not we take care of business.

That's a lot of "if" and "should be" and "probably."

To the OP, the team has a lot more depth this year, which should help in conference down the stretch, but they'll have to fight their way into the tournament with a lot of conference wins, and I'm not sure they can win enough road games.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 11:29:09 am
Because we have a high paid coach with a first round pick at PG, a scoring forward, and a deep bench. Not his first time in a tough environment and its his second season now here. When you invest as much as Arkansas has in its BBall program, it's time to take the training wheels off and win some games.

I understand what you're saying, I just think you've picked the wrong game to draw a line in the sand.

swinesation

This team still needs some MEN. And some shooters other than Haydar. We're not there yet.

Hoggycronopolis

I think so, but last year's team just had MAJOR depth issues and completely ran outta gas 3/4 the way thru. They played well until they just wore down.
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they SMITE you, and then you win"  
-Ghandi

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
-George Carlin

Danny J

Define improvement? Record? Wins against caliber opponents? Blowout losses on the road? General sense that we are getting better?

Even though the record doesn't really show it I think we are marginally better than last year. The problem we have this year is adding so many more players that are contributing and we are feeling our way through it. I still think by February we will be a better team. Remember that this is the first year that these guys are playing with the returners from last season:

Powell
Haydar
Bell
Wagner
Qualls
Williams

Smithian

Quote from: swinesation on January 19, 2013, 06:20:07 pm
This team still needs some MEN.
The coaching staff had no problem letting go of a big man who recorded 16 rebounds against Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond.

Better hope we find an athlete like Portis or Kingsley who comes in and rebounds because you'll never see this staff go out and pursue a Delvon Johnson type (brought in as a solid defender/rebounder, blossomed into more) in the JUCO or HS ranks.

waphill

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 11:29:09 am
with a first round pick at PG

Who is this you speak of?? I don't see any first round picks on this team.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: waphill on January 19, 2013, 09:23:01 pm

NBA Draft experts still have B.J. as a first rounder.

elksnort

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 19, 2013, 09:30:06 pm
The NBA is less interesting each year.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 09:21:04 pm
The coaching staff had no problem letting go of a big man who recorded 16 rebounds against Alex Oriakhi and Andre Drummond.

Better hope we find an athlete like Portis or Kingsley who comes in and rebounds because you'll never see this staff go out and pursue a Delvon Johnson type (brought in as a solid defender/rebounder, blossomed into more) in the JUCO or HS ranks.
You are not making a lot of sense here.

I do not recall anyone letting anyone go.  You cannot make them stay. 

We did sign a couple of guys like Porits and Kingsley, their names are Portis and Kingsley.

Like Nolan, he has no problem with transfers and JC players.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/377492-missouri-coach-mike-anderson-bolsters-recruting-class-yet-again
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Sir Oinksalot

Quote from: waphill on January 19, 2013, 09:23:01 pm

The best part of Mike Anderson ran down his momma's leg, but he is a muti so I can't really speak can I...?
whewwwww, ok I feel better now...

This team has no passion, can't shoot free throws and looks so bad I hate to watch it...on the other hand
we always lose in the Tad Pad so I'm like what the hell, 2and2,  is this it or do we make a run...?

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

waphill

Maybe he will be a better pro than college player.

He gives little effort on D and plays poor fundamentally. Plays D with his hands instead of his feet. He forces way too many shots instead of finding the open man. He is a poor outside shooter with poor mechanics. Doesn't shoot FT's well. Spends too much time complaining to the refs. I don't think he'll make it on the next level at the PG. He'll have to play the 2.

I think he has regressed.

3kgthog

We're still losing to everyone on the road and still not beating anyone with a pulse. I just don't see the improvement.

Hawg414

that is a rude awakening to just how bad the NBA is nowadays.

Pork Twain

I do not get to excited about road records in the SEC with a young team.  Especially not against a very good Ole Miss team where we have always had issues.  I still think we are two years away from having this roster where it needs to be to run MA's system.

SEC   W-L
Ole Miss 4-1
#10 Florida 4-1
Alabama 2-3
Kentucky 1-2
Auburn 1-3
Texas A&M 2-0
#17 Missouri 0-2
Arkansas 0-2
Mississippi State 1-3
Vanderbilt 1-2
South Carolina 1-2
Tennessee 0-4
Georgia 0-4
LSU 1-3
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

elksnort

We've been 2years away for 13-14 years now.
It's getting old

Pork Twain

Quote from: elksnort on January 19, 2013, 10:07:57 pm
We've been 2years away for 13-14 years now.
It's getting old
That is what happens when you hire two bad coaches instead of hiring the right guy (Self) the first time around.

Going from Nolan's style to Heath's, to whatever it was that Pel did and now full circle to MA, will set a school back.

iluvmyslute89

YES. The hogs are much better than last year. We still ain't all the way over the hump, but were on the damn cusp of worthiness for a change. I like it.

Smithian

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: Smithian on January 19, 2013, 10:21:34 pm
Explain
Dude, the chemistry is better, role players are picking up slack off the stars, but were playing better all around, the ball movement is better. We just havent made it over the hump yet, but if i was MA i'd see the results so far as a positive sign. We still arent great, but i thought we responded well to adversity against ole miss on the road with the refs killing us, we kept our composure. we didn't win but it was a much better effort and the kids were more competitive in the half court as a result. We really needed a confidence builder, we got. Now we just gotta focus on playing under controlled and focused and keep improving everyday. we need to make that our focus.

Beaverfever

January 20, 2013, 03:46:45 am #36 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:59:37 am by Beaverfever
Just saw a mock draft with him at 18.  bahaha that's incredible.  He still isn't half the player Patrick Beverley was and the NBA was never knocking down his door.  I must admit Young has nice upside but his stock has to be taking a major hit recently.  Unless this draft class is unbelievably weak he really needs another year or two in college.  He's got a LOT to prove IMO.

TNhawgfan

No, we aren't any better at this point than we were last year. Maybe they can turn it around and finish strong, but nothing at this point gives me any hope of that. Unless we start winning some road games, I don't even see the NIT sending an invititation
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

HawgAdvocate

January 20, 2013, 08:11:38 am #38 Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:37:17 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Beaverfever on January 20, 2013, 03:46:45 am
Just saw a mock draft with him at 18.  bahaha that's incredible.  He still isn't half the player Patrick Beverley was and the NBA was never knocking down his door.  I must admit Young has nice upside but his stock has to be taking a major hit recently.  Unless this draft class is unbelievably weak he really needs another year or two in college.  He's got a LOT to prove IMO.

I wanted to compare BJ to Beverley, since both (have) played roughly two seasons at Arkansas. And after looking at the numbers, other than Beverley averaging 8 more minutes/game than BJ did, their career numbers are fairly even.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=patrick-beverley&bj-young=career&i=1&p1=bj-young&patrick-beverley=career

I think we Razorback fans are being a bit too critical of B.J. this year, in regards to his NBA stock. The only real number that has truly gone down this year for him is his outside shooting %. At the same time, his assists have gone up. I don't see why a professional staff (along with all the free time he'd have to work on his shot mechanics) wouldn't feel like they could get his shooting back on track. He may need a year or two to get acclimated to the NBA, but that's fairly common and somewhat expected for about half of he 1st round picks that are drafted these days.

hoglady

All I know is it's still most of the time hard to watch Hog basketball.
It's been that way for too long now.
The years of bad basketball have just blended together.
Different coach, different players, same results.
The all star recruiting class from 2 years ago that was supposed to save Hog basketball has for the most part not produced.
I still have some hope and faith Anderson can right the ship but not there yet.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on January 19, 2013, 10:29:39 pm
Dude, the chemistry is better, role players are picking up slack off the stars, but were playing better all around, the ball movement is better. We just havent made it over the hump yet, but if i was MA i'd see the results so far as a positive sign. We still arent great, but i thought we responded well to adversity against ole miss on the road with the refs killing us, we kept our composure. we didn't win but it was a much better effort and the kids were more competitive in the half court as a result. We really needed a confidence builder, we got. Now we just gotta focus on playing under controlled and focused and keep improving everyday. we need to make that our focus.

I agree, this is a better team than last years team. Against Ole Miss the one thing the Hogs HAD to have in order to at least keep it close was for Hunter Michelson to show up in a BIG way and show up he did. 10 pts, 8 Rebounds, and 3 blocked shots against the 2 big 6'9" 250 Lb big men of Ole Miss is a very good day for him and by far the best he's played since arriving in Fayetteville. IMHO if he continues to play like that the rest of the season and the perimeter shooting picks up, this team is going to win more road games than they've won in a long time and be very difficult to beat in BWA.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Beaverfever

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2013, 08:11:38 am
I wanted to compare BJ to Beverley, since both (have) played roughly two seasons at Arkansas. And after looking at the numbers, other than Beverley averaging 8 more minutes/game than BJ did, their career numbers are fairly even.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/compare?add=patrick-beverley&bj-young=career&i=1&p1=bj-young&patrick-beverley=career

I think we Razorback fans are being a bit too critical of B.J. this year, in regards to his NBA stock. The only real number that has truly gone down this year for him is his outside shooting %. At the same time, his assists have gone up. I don't see why a professional staff (along with all the free time he'd have to work on his shot mechanics) wouldn't feel like they could get his shooting back on track. He may need a year or two to get acclimated to the NBA, but that's fairly common and somewhat expected for about half of he 1st round picks that are drafted these days.
Surely you agree that Beverley's game was much more refined than Young's.  They are different players IMO so stats won't tell the tale.  Beverley was pretty much just a standard scoring two guard.  Young is a slashing score first point guard, which I admit is much more valuable by nature, but unless he turns into a valuable true point guard he's got no spot in the NBA without a jumper.   Young is a legit prospect but right now that's all he is.  The NBA isn't as big on drafting prospects as they used to be (thank God). 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Beaverfever on January 20, 2013, 01:48:38 pm
Surely you agree that Beverley's game was much more refined than Young's.  They are different players IMO so stats won't tell the tale.  Beverley was pretty much just a standard scoring two guard.  Young is a slashing score first point guard, which I admit is much more valuable by nature, but unless he turns into a valuable true point guard he's got no spot in the NBA without a jumper.   Young is a legit prospect but right now that's all he is.  The NBA isn't as big on drafting prospects as they used to be (thank God). 

Beverley relied mostly on his outside shooting (50% or more of his shots were from there each season), where Young is more balanced with his shooting (28% from outside). To me, that says he's a more well-rounded offensive player considering he's a threat all over the floor.

Yes, Young's outside jumper has fallen off this season. But we all know that's not a chronic problem for him like it was for someone like Ronnie Brewer Jr. or JJ Sullinger. He made 47% of his 121 3-point attempts last season.

At the next level, BJ Young is being compared to Louis Williams (6'1" 175lbs). John Hollinger's ESPN Insider scouting report on Williams reads as follows:

+ Small, shoot-first guard with outstanding quickness and awesome shot fake.
+ Draws fouls, creates shots and won't turn it over. Poor vision. Middling shooter.
+ Too small to guard 2s, but can defend 1s when paired with a bigger point guard

Who does that sound like? It took Williams two seasons in the NBA (out of high school) to put it together, and he's finished with a PER rating of 18+ the past three seasons. BJ has a great chance to be a pretty good player in the NBA once he gets his bearings.

I don't know what you mean about the NBA not being as big on prospects as they used to be. The top 3 picks in this past year's draft were all coming off their freshman seasons. The #4 pick, Dion Waiters, was a sophomore. Eight of the top ten picks were either freshmen or sophomores.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/rounds

TeedupHigh

If so they can't be called expert, duck & drive not good enough in the NBA!  Kid needs to find a shot from outside, if he don't he want make it.

TeedupHigh

Remind me again what that class was ranked?  I just don't remember any of them excep Hunter and Madden......that has not been much. Class ranking, damn

Quote from: hoglady on January 20, 2013, 08:47:55 am
All I know is it's still most of the time hard to watch Hog basketball.
It's been that way for too long now.
The years of bad basketball have just blended together.
Different coach, different players, same results.
The all star recruiting class from 2 years ago that was supposed to save Hog basketball has for the most part not produced.
I still have some hope and faith Anderson can right the ship but not there yet.

iluvmyslute89

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 20, 2013, 02:07:19 pm
Beverley relied mostly on his outside shooting (50% or more of his shots were from there each season), where Young is more balanced with his shooting (28% from outside). To me, that says he's a more well-rounded offensive player considering he's a threat all over the floor.

Yes, Young's outside jumper has fallen off this season. But we all know that's not a chronic problem for him like it was for someone like Ronnie Brewer Jr. or JJ Sullinger. He made 47% of his 121 3-point attempts last season.

At the next level, BJ Young is being compared to Louis Williams (6'1" 175lbs). John Hollinger's ESPN Insider scouting report on Williams reads as follows:

+ Small, shoot-first guard with outstanding quickness and awesome shot fake.
+ Draws fouls, creates shots and won't turn it over. Poor vision. Middling shooter.
+ Too small to guard 2s, but can defend 1s when paired with a bigger point guard

Who does that sound like? It took Williams two seasons in the NBA (out of high school) to put it together, and he's finished with a PER rating of 18+ the past three seasons. BJ has a great chance to be a pretty good player in the NBA once he gets his bearings.

I don't know what you mean about the NBA not being as big on prospects as they used to be. The top 3 picks in this past year's draft were all coming off their freshman seasons. The #4 pick, Dion Waiters, was a sophomore. Eight of the top ten picks were either freshmen or sophomores.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft/results/rounds

i remember williams. tremendous athlete out of highschool without many point guard skills. With all due respect bj is a little further ahead of where williams was coming out of highschool. Williams is a serviceable back up. Bj has much bigger aspirations.