Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who do we have a legit shot at signing in the 2014 class

Started by -Blu, January 08, 2013, 09:43:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Was looking at the espn recruiting page for Arkansas and noticed that we have already sent offers to 5 players for 2014.  I think this will be a big recruiting year for us because we will lose a good portion of our team after next year.   Anyone that keeps up with recruiting know the chances we have at any of these guys?

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2014/page/offers

HawgAdvocate

No shot at Okafor.

Thompson is obviously an Arkansas kid and would likely be favorite to want to be a Hog, but those who have seen him play report that he's not a good fit for this style of play (doesn't play hard, doesn't get up and down the floor well, work ethic is questioned, etc).

Beard won't likely flip unless Haith's staff somehow craps the bed with him.

Miller would likely commit as soon as he receives a serious offer, but will one ever come?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

-Blu

What about D'Angelo Allen, anything on him?  6'6 4 Star SG and he's just in Texas.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: daSnake014 on January 08, 2013, 10:00:26 am
What about D'Angelo Allen, anything on him?  6'6 4 Star SG and he's just in Texas.

No clue, still pretty early to say one way or another. He was supposed to visit this past summer, but I don't know if he ever did.

Rivals has this blurb on him back in May 2012: "Leading the way in the title game was 6-foot-6 Dallas (Texas) Kimball wing D'Angelo Allen. The four-star is a long and rangy athlete with a nose for the ball. He's built to make things happen around the rim and in transition while his jumper and handle are progressing."

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1369679

Sounds a bit like Qualls.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

poloprince

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 08, 2013, 09:54:33 am
No shot at Okafor.

Thompson is obviously an Arkansas kid and would likely be favorite to want to be a Hog, but those who have seen him play report that he's not a good fit for this style of play (doesn't play hard, doesn't get up and down the floor well, work ethic is questioned, etc).

Beard won't likely flip unless Haith's staff somehow craps the bed with him.

Miller would likely commit as soon as he receives a serious offer, but will one ever come?

Thompson doesn't have an issue that the normal teenage kid doesn't have, they usually have to be taught how to work.
$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

Quote from: poloprince on January 08, 2013, 01:11:19 pm

Thompson doesn't have an issue that the normal teenage kid doesn't have, they usually have to be taught how to work.

If some other option don't pan out, I dont see why we wouldn't offer Trey. His size isn't much different from Darnell, Lee Wilson, and Dwight Stewart

HawgAdvocate

We're not looking for normal teenage kids. We want high-major D-1 athletes. You can't teach someone to want to work hard. He either wants it, or he doesn't.

If he hasn't flipped the switch by now, at what point is he supposed to? His senior season? That's a bit late to impress.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 08, 2013, 01:45:22 pm
We're not looking for normal teenage kids. We want high-major D-1 athletes. You can't teach someone to want to work hard. He either wants it, or he doesn't.

If he hasn't flipped the switch by now, at what point is he supposed to? His senior season? That's a bit late to impress.

We also need to be careful not to take one persons report and treat it as truth. We don't know Trey's mental state or desire to be a successful D-1 basketball player.

Dogtown Donkey

Well, from what I saw in person in Maumelle, he does have an issue that the normal teenage kid doesn't have. At least the normal teenage kid that's a high-level basketball recruit, anyway. Holding him to those standards, he is unusually lazy and lethargic on the court. He plays very soft and does not utilize his size. The same day, I saw Bobby Portis step onto the court and play hard, scream for the ball, and look like he actually cares.

There's no need to make excuses for Thompson. Compared to his peers (aka teenage basketball players), he has a lot of work to do. I'm not sure he can turn it around. Someone would need to light a fire like no other to get that kid to play up to his previous billing.

As spectator who wasn't given his size and ability, it's actually insulting to see him out there "playing" like that. I can't stand players like that, and I don't think he'd make it very far under Mike Anderson, if Coach even decided to bring him on as a Hog.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 08, 2013, 01:58:07 pm
We also need to be careful not to take one persons report and treat it as truth. We don't know Trey's mental state or desire to be a successful D-1 basketball player.

What I saw with my own eyes matched all of the negative reports I read about him. I've RazorAg post descriptions, and I believe a major recruiting services gave a similar description. It all adds up. It's not just one person we're talking about here.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 08, 2013, 01:45:22 pm

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 08, 2013, 01:58:07 pm

There is more than just one report out there.

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on December 17, 2012, 11:50:14 am
I saw the 2nd half of the Forrest City/Fort Smith Northside game, the EPC/Maumelle game, and the 1st half of the Hall/Bentonville game.

Trey Thompson - Forrest City
Not impressed. Not at all. Was surprised to see his stat line (like 17 points, 15 rebounds, 3 blocks). Must have done much of that damage in the 1st half. He is an extremely UNaggressive basketball and the motor isn't there. Big-time loafer from what I saw and that matches up with what I've read about him. Body needs work/shaping. Definitely not a good fit for the Hogs, and doesn't really look like a good fit for any major conference team with the way he plays. Needs to light a fire BIG TIME.

Quote from: mhuff on November 25, 2012, 06:55:27 am
http://rumbleridge.com/

The last game I watched was Jonesboro - Forrest City. I was especially interested in watching Kahron Ross, Marquise Bryant , and Trey Thompson play. First, Trey would not be able to run the floor like Kingsley and Portis. He might play a good half court game, but I was not impressed with his play or improvement. The F.C. H.S. former AD was sitting beside me and said Trey played well the night before against Gadsden. I believe Mississippi State was there watching him ,and Pel was there last year. They know talent a lot better than I. ...

Quote from: RazorAg on April 29, 2012, 07:42:46 pm
Guys, I've always posted a report here after my annual trip to Real Deal.  It is lengthy, as always, but people have seemed to like the info in the past.  So, here we go...

Trey Thompson banged and did his best against more athletic bigs, but really was a non-factor.  He misses a lot of bunnies.  I hope like hell that someone serious works with the kid.  Guys, he's not a top 25 player right now.  Trust me or not.  I want him to be b/c I think he'll be a Hog in the future.   Footwork, hands, explosiveness, tenacity, vertical and shot making all need to improve.  He also may be one that may need to watch his weight.  He's gained a good bit since last summer.  It can be a good thing if he gets serious in the weight room.  I worry a little bit about him being in Forrest City.  From a basketball and training standpoint, I hope he spends a lot of time in Little Rock.

Quote from: RazorAg on October 02, 2012, 07:03:28 am
I've talked a lot about Thompson since last November and especially in the Spring.  Bottom line, he didn't develop well from from the 2011 spring/summer to the 2012 spring/summer.  He grew and gained weight, but that's about it.  He didn't look any more skilled than he was a year ago.  The area where he was needing to improve most - explosiveness and aggressiveness - he actually went backwards.  He carried too much weight on him in the spring, but to his credit, lost 15-20 pounds by the end of the summer and was playing better.

Trey, as a freshman, was rated highly b/c of his size, excellent feel for the game and a good skill level relatively for his size.  Scouts saw his potential.  He just didn't progress much in one year's time.  This is the "money" time for him.  He has the potential, but as I said in the spring, he really needs someone to push him hard to reach his potential.

I think this ESPN scouting report (8/10/12) nails it right now:

A true center and big body. His size is legitimate and he's an anchor type recruit in the lane. Knows how to use his body and will position himself to lean on defenders in the post. Strong lower half and posterior leans against opponents and can clear out space. Able to back his man down and get into offense. Solid touch around the rim. In an offense that prefers to play in the halfcourt, Thompson is an asset.

Weaknesses:
There's much room for improvement which given his size isn't a bad thing. He could stand to tighten up his body which would increase his activity level and provide more energy. Doesn't run the floor hard yet. Likes to go to a basic and effective hook in the lane over his left shoulder. What is the counter move?

Bottom Line:
Strong kid with high-major size. Projects as a back end Top 100 player with a ceiling to move up should he become more assertive as a rebounder and scorer in the lane.

Smithian

Won't we need to pursue some major guard depth in 2014 class?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on January 08, 2013, 02:53:34 pm
Won't we need to pursue some major guard depth in 2014 class?

Absolutely.

By the time the 2014 kids step on campus we'll have lost BJ (likely), Scott, Wade, Haydar, and Gulley.

We'll be left with Madden, Wagner, Bell, and Spivey. You'd think we'd sign at least three more guards by that time.

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

Ray Piggers

Are we done with 2013?? Legit question

Maybe I missed the memo
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Swinesong1

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on January 08, 2013, 10:13:31 pm
Are we done with 2013?? Legit question

Maybe I missed the memo
Just speculation on my part but I highly doubt the 2013 class is complete.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: Swinesong1 on January 08, 2013, 10:31:37 pm
Just speculation on my part but I highly doubt the 2013 class is complete.

I honestly would hope so. I know Portis and Kingsley are good, but we need to add another scoring option.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Swinesong1

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on January 08, 2013, 10:58:06 pm
I honestly would hope so. I know Portis and Kingsley are good, but we need to add another scoring option.
I agree